The midfield - What's the answer?

It's a bit hard to justify too much additional investment on our midfield until we start to actually play the ones we bought. Maybe a No 10 or creative player can be justified because we missed out on one... but otherwise I think it is hard.

Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri have been played far too little. Almost half way through the season, and they haven't been played enough for us to determine anything.
Hopefully they will be a smashing success in the second half of the season - ala Robertson & Ox and we end up winning a treble.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We might have won the CL if he played - was well chuffed when an unfit Lallana came on!
.....So swings and roundabouts.
I bet you hate players that take people on and create chances and prefer the nice sideways and backwards approach by the current 3!
Yeah, I love a bit of sterile domination.

Seriously, though whenever we have a bad result there are cries of ‘where art thou, Phillippe’. But the reality is that

- we kicked on and improved after he left. We might not have got to the final had he still been in the team, demanding everything went through him before blamming the ball into row Z

- he left by one of the most shitty, petulant, self serving displays by one of our players in our history. Let’s not reframe this as the club willingly selling him. He forced his way out be behaving like a prick.

-

Mascot88

Admin
There is nothing posted on twitter that Klopp does not already know. And yet he keeps picking these lads.

They must be doing what he wants.

It reminds me of Rafa when he was asked to be a pundit for a TV channel in the World Cup. He said he would do it, but only if he could interview every player before speaking about them so he could assess whether the players had done the job they were asked to do, rather than what they presumed their job was.

The TV company said ‘don’t call us, we’ll call you’

Red Ted

The simple answer is to buy better midfielders, proper quality like we have in attack & at the back.

Keita I think will prove his worth, it's been stop start but in the small sample size we've seen of him there are positive signs, he has the ability to dribble & go past players which is something we're screaming out for in midfield, he has skills & looks far from 1 dimensional & from his time in Germany has shown he is able to find the back of the net which is something else we are screaming out for from midfield, he really needs to be playing games now.

lfc.8

There is nothing posted on twitter that Klopp does not already know. And yet he keeps picking these lads.

They must be doing what he wants.
That's all a bit simplistic. He can only choose from the midfielders he's got. The club signed a few midfielders this summer, no doubt with the view to improve.

Klopp has spoken about the transition it takes. Perhaps this transition is still ongoing, perhaps it's taking longer than expected and or perhaps the new players just aren't delivering. Nonetheless Klopp is not going to come out and throw them under the bus whatever the situation.

Klopp might be content with the current setup or perhaps it's just the best at the moment. But going forward midfield is certainly an area which needs upgrading, if the current players don't pull weight. That's kind of obvious.

Last edited:
The simple answer is to buy better midfielders, proper quality like we have in attack & at the back.

Keita I think will prove his worth, it's been stop start but in the small sample size we've seen of him there are positive signs, he has the ability to dribble & go past players which is something we're screaming out for in midfield, he has skills & looks far from 1 dimensional & from his time in Germany has shown he is able to find the back of the net which is something else we are screaming out for from midfield, he really needs to be playing games now.
The problem is that we have bought quality,OX is injured unfortunately and Fabinho along with Kieta,Ox is what we're missing but you can't go out and replace him just because he's injured,Shaq can do a job in midfield until the Ox is ready and raring,Ox was a massive loss imo.

lfc.8

Oxlade-Chamberlain is a loss and while we need an attacking midfielder, he's not a player I rate too highly. We need better. Coutinho, De Bruyne, Isco, Eriksen, Rodriguez is the kind of quality we should be aiming for. Easier said than done though.

Red Ted

The problem is that we have bought quality,OX is injured unfortunately and Fabinho along with Kieta,Ox is what we're missing but you can't go out and replace him just because he's injured,Shaq can do a job in midfield until the Ox is ready and raring,Ox was a massive loss imo.
We haven't bought real top quality though, like we recently have in goal & with Van Dijk & Salah, Keita might turn out to be but we can't know yet.

If we bought a top class midfielder it wouldn't have anything to do with replacing Ox, we'd be ugrading on the 3 that played the other night and at least moving one of them on, pretty sure that's what Klopp is/was wanting to do (Fekir) and he's so obviously right.

Yeah, no doubt Ox is a big loss, his injury is still a kick in the nuts, he was growing and performing very well in the midfield role, relying on him is a quite a big concern though given his injury record.

Red Ted

Oxlade-Chamberlain is a loss and while we need an attacking midfielder, he's not a player I rate too highly. We need better. Coutinho, De Bruyne, Isco, Eriksen, Rodriguez is the kind of quality we should be aiming for. Easier said than done though.
Absolutely, would love Eriksen or Isco here.

We weren't in a position where we needed to spend £100m plus in midfield on one player as the GK and CB were bigger priorities by far,i think we've spent our limited budget in the correct way and didn't leave us much left,i personally rate Ox highly and think under Klopp will take the next step to becoming a fantastic player,i think Lallana's wayward form is also something we didn't see coming.

Noo Noo

Lets be brutally honest here. Keita and Fabinho have been poor. There I've said it.

I dont think they have justified their fees thus far and have certainly not done enough to really pressure any of the 3 incumbents in the midfield slots. We all certainly hoped for more and i expect Klopp did as well but for various reasons they are not considered ready or strong enough to really push for a starting position. That then leaves us short of options and its become an issue. I hope they manage to change this soon.

That aside I would really like to know what exactly is Klopp's thinking behind the tactical changes to Salah and Firmino's roles. This also has had an impact on our midfield, mainly exposing it for what it is rather than masking over it as happened last season.

Red Ted

We weren't in a position where we needed to spend £100m plus in midfield on one player as the GK and CB were bigger priorities by far,i think we've spent our limited budget in the correct way and didn't leave us much left,i personally rate Ox highly and think under Klopp will take the next step to becoming a fantastic player,i think Lallana's wayward form is also something we didn't see coming.
We were in a position last summer to spend 50 million on Fekir who now we all know a bit more about does look to be a very classy player, real top quality? not yet but he's the type we need at a minimum.

It doesn't need to be 100 million on a player although it would be good if it was as long as we were signing the quality of player mentioned by lfc.8 above.

Ox is a good player and I agree that he can get better but he isn't top quality, we need more in there, we're so close I just don't want to see us waste the opportunity of becoming a great Liverpool team, next summer will be an interesting one.

We were in a position last summer to spend 50 million on Fekir who now we all know a bit more about does look to be a very classy player, top class? not sure but he's the type we need at a minimum.

It doesn't need to be 100 million on a player although it would be good if it was as long as we were signing the quality of player mentioned by lfc.8 above.

Ox is a good player and I agree that he can get better but he isn't top quality, we need more in there, we're so close I just don't want to see us waste the opportunity of becoming a great Liverpool team, next summer will be an interesting one.
Agree with the Fekir bit but i was on about the post which mentioned names like Isco and Rodriguez,with Eriksen he'd probably cost more than both put together the way spurs go on.

Red Ted

Agree with the Fekir bit but i was on about the post which mentioned names like Isco and Rodriguez,with Eriksen he'd probably cost more than both put together the way spurs go on.
Fair enough.

To be honest it was all good getting Keita & Fabinho in the summer, a big step in the right direction but a real shame it hasn't worked yet, our need for a top notch attacking midfielder just looks so obvious now.

Eriksen has a year left on his contract in the summer, even if Madrid/Barca who he supposedly wants rejected him it would still be real long shot for us, he really would be ideal for Liverpool, ah well.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Don't want to look too much past Bournemouth already, but I'd like a midfield of a mobile Gini at #6 (to hopefully reproduce what he did in that role at the start of the season before he was needed at #8 again), with Naby and Millie in front of him against Napoli. They will leave Insigne and Mertens as spears in their newly compact 4-4-2 (which can be 4-6-0 with them two with a lot of fluidity in attack) and that's a proper threat to us going the other way, as things stand at the moment I don't want Hendo nor Fabinho in that zone.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Until ox gets back to full fitness and form,

We should be looking at a midfield 3 of fabinho milner and keita as our first choice.

No disrespect to the guys like gini, hendo, lallana etc , but they are hard tryers , workhorses even but they'll never be world beaters.

I particularly liked the way sturridge stepped back to an almost midfield position when salah and Bobby came on. This made the attacks much smoother and as we all know , studge does have a great pass and shot in him even if he doesn't have the legs.

I'd be looking at either of sturridge ,shaqiri to be bossing that position as a very advanced attacking midfielder (almost a false 9) , this enables the front two to run behind the defense and also opens up gaps for the midfielders like keita and milner to come forward as well. Don't think mane has the skill to play the passes, but he's being used in this position where hes more suited for running at the defenders and creating spaces without the ball.

Probably means that we only play 2 off the attacking front trio.

Claymenza

Out of the 3, Gomez is the best in defending 1-on-1, so I think it was a tactical change to deal with the threat that Neymar posed as TAA and Clyne are both more attacking minded so risked leaving him free more often. At least that is my hunch.
Until ox gets back to full fitness and form,

We should be looking at a midfield 3 of fabinho milner and keita as our first choice.

No disrespect to the guys like gini, hendo, lallana etc , but they are hard tryers , workhorses even but they'll never be world beaters.

I particularly liked the way sturridge stepped back to an almost midfield position when salah and Bobby came on. This made the attacks much smoother and as we all know , studge does have a great pass and shot in him even if he doesn't have the legs.

I'd be looking at either of sturridge ,shaqiri to be bossing that position as a very advanced attacking midfielder (almost a false 9) , this enables the front two to run behind the defense and also opens up gaps for the midfielders like keita and milner to come forward as well. Don't think mane has the skill to play the passes, but he's being used in this position where hes more suited for running at the defenders and creating spaces without the ball.

Probably means that we only play 2 off the attacking front trio.
Wouldn't mind milner to play in defensive mid and keita and wyjnaldum as dual 8s. Sturridge as a 10 is a decent alternative because he has a brilliant first touch, slick passing, and is decent from distance.

RedForever2014

We need to rotate this department, from the start and bench, and it looks like we now can.

But for big matches Klopp has to be prepared to leave Henderson out. The midfield is never the same with him in it and every time we've been overrun in midfield by quality sides it's been when Henderson is at 6.

For me, Fabinho has to be the first choice 6, Henderson can play alongside Fabinho in some matches or as 6 in lesser matches.

The other positions are debatable. Gini and Milner are similar but also slightly different. When Gini is on top form he's awesome but goes missing sometimes, Milner is always 7+.

The attacking mid position should be Keita's now, with Shaqiri able to play there too, mainly against lesser sides.

I would still add quality midfielders to the squad when we can though, particularly someone who could play 10 and cover the forwards.

Mascot88

Admin
I would still add quality midfielders to the squad when we can though, particularly someone who could play 10 and cover the forwards.
For the time being, until we can properly address it, I think Danny Sturridge is that player. He was wonderful last night when he dropped deep to accommodate Firmino and Salah.

RedForever2014

For the time being, until we can properly address it, I think Danny Sturridge is that player. He was wonderful last night when he dropped deep to accommodate Firmino and Salah.
He did well last night and I like him, but against top sides I think we need more. I basically think we need to upgrade Lallana, who is never fit enough nor good enough anymore.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
He did well last night and I like him, but against top sides I think we need more. I basically think we need to upgrade Lallana, who is never fit enough nor good enough anymore.
Agree with this. For whatever reasons , lallana hasn't been the player that he was previous to his injuries. Also sturridge is quite obviously a stop gap arrangement, we tried firmino in that role of a cam , we tried mane in that role , we tried the interchangeable front three , none of that seems to particularly work primarily because the players aren't suited to that role.

Sturridge offers more in that role but playing him implies that one of the three be dropped as was the case in Burnley. Also studge isn't without his weaknesses, namely his lack of pace and abiliity to press.

Still an option to interchange the likes of sturridge , shaqiri there in the CAM and play only two of the front three. This could potentially keep them fitter seeing as how the world cup has led to more matches being played in the duration.

I hope Liverpool can work around the CAM position in the January transfer window. Maybe try out woodburn and recall Wilson from his loan.

Noo Noo

Firmino certainly looked better didn't he.

How Sturridge works defensively and what Klopp wants defensively would be my concern with it but attacking wise there's sense to the madness