The Owners

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by liveforthereds, Nov 12, 2012.

1. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

None of that made any fucking sense.

Scott Jones likes this.
  2. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Can you elaborate on that for me, because I am really not understanding the point you are trying to make.

Do keep in mind I am closing in on my 40th year of play.

3. Semmy

PS, all you guys on the board who have taken on the role of parent...happy father's day!

May all of your children be Reds

4. Flobs

Flobs FADA

They are, they weren't given a choice :-) however I think 2005 helped to eliminate any chance that the grass might appear greener else where. Now they are old enough to know what passion is.

As for fathers day .... I spent it with my brother. :think:

5. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Erm, we were still in the race on the last day of the season under BR and FSG.

redfanman, JustHitMyHead and Da Bulli like this.
  6. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

True,, but then they sold Suarez and as there was no clear idea/structure about how to go forward, everything unraveled quickly. As the following seasons showed, 13/14 was nothing more than a hazardous event, a bit like Leicester.

7. Semmy

Can you elaborate on that for me, because I am really not understanding the point you are trying to make.

Do keep in mind I am closing in on my 40th year of play.

8. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

I disagree with that.

Plan was to get Sanchez in for Suarez, but he wanted to go London. Brendan was given Balotelli instead.

Had Suarez stayed, we could have done it the following year - def not a one off.

9. Semmy

It it showed the limitations of a manager I happy to see in another, more suitable league

10. Semmy

I doubt it. Not when the boss benched his captain in a CL match vs Real at Anfield.

Outstanding piece of management, that

redbj likes this.
  11. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

There very clearly was a plan, Sanchez plus all the other players the club brought in. It just wasn't a very good one, flawed by incompatibilities among the players brought in as well as missing the prime replacement. I think that failing is spread around, FSG for allowing such a perverse structure to evolve, Ayre for being the one who watched it happen, the rest of the transfer committee because it takes two to fight, and Rodgers for that strange myopia he has that never seems to anticipate opposing managers ever countering what he does, plus his role in the fight with the transfer committee that led to incompatible players being acquired.

12. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

It was a terrible attempt (my rant).....when I tried to make the point that the owners don't really display a genuine/caring feeling about the club, like they do for their MLB team......(it was in response to Ubermick's post about how I sound like a broken record about our owners).

The other point was that they missed the chance in 2 of the last 4 seasons, to strengthen the squad in the Jan windows, so we could have had a better chance to win a couple of extra points......

In 13-14, we would have won the league, with another MF, and in this last season, who knows what would have happened if we had another forward and a LB.

13. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

It is exactly what it meant, take away the emotion and passion, the romance of it all, and what's left is just entertainment. You don't agree?

14. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

You don't know that for a fact. We may even played worse because the new signings may not been better than the ones we had. Every signing is a gamble.

15. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

uh, they run the Red Sox basically the same way they run Liverpool; appoint someone to run the operations (Dombrowski - Edwards) and pretty much get out of their way, which is what i want owners to do. Owners who are always meddling generally do more harm than good.

redfanman and Chewbazza like this.
  16. Semmy

17. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Great come back.....

18. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

That is incorrect. By accounts English and Spanish, we met Barca's asking price but had failed to convince Sanchez. Six months later Rodgers was giving interviews blaming the failure to land him for the difficulties that season, and just last year he told another interview that that was what doomed his entire time at LFC - in all of those accounts, Rodgers referred to having met the 35M ask.

redfanman and Red_Jedi like this.
  19. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Nikola to the airport. Admin

The notion that the reason players didn't come in was because the money wasn't there doesn't wash. As others have mooted, we absolutely did meet the asking price for Sanchez, he just chose London over Liverpool. Similarly about strengthening in January, I can't imagine a situation where Klopp went to the board asking for players and being told no. Certainly not a situation where Klopp would stick around long after that conversation. In fact, I seem to remember Klopp identifying that Teixeira bloke as a player he wanted, the club submitted an offer of 32m, Shakhtar (pains in our fucking holes) wanted 37, the club were willing to do it, but Klopp himself pulled the plug. If memory serves, he did the same thing with Gotze last summer as well when he waffled slightly about "taking time to consider his best option."

It seems an awful lot like Klopp has a very, very, VERY specific opinion of the sort of player he wants in terms of mindset. He swerved the kid that by all accounts was like a son to him, binned off Sakho when he decided that his attitude was suspect, and canceled Teixeira as well.

I think that's likely as much a contributing factor to things as anything else in the "ermagherd, why haven't we signed every first choice target we had?!?!" stakes.

redfanman and LFC-Orlando like this.
  20. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

As regards Sanchez, we also weren't helped by Harley Boy and Shiny Teeth assuming they could just rock up in June and have Sanchez in total thrall at their superior abilities and reputations and sign immediately. Especially given that Arsenal had been talking to him for at least 6 months already...

21. ubermick

There is that, too.

22. Semmy

Not a comeback. But if that's what you look for it's fine with me

lfc.eddie likes this.
  23. Semmy

Klopp seems to have one personality trait not unlike a drill sargeant. Just don't step out of line

24. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Which he shares with most successful managers.

scouseheadross and Semmy like this.
  25. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

Agreed with all points and offering clarification about the bold part. BTW, I'm not advocating for that (to criticize if we don't sign every first choice target)

What I can't believe is that everyone associated with the club transfers, managed to do nothing in the Jan 2014 window (when we needed midfielders and then lost Henderson for 3 crucial games). And this last January debacle (when we lost Mane after knowing about Coutinho's injury too)....

That's why I sense that funds were not really available even though both managers never said that publicly.

And to the point @Elessar made, while I don't know how well unknown incoming players would have
    "changed the future", I do know that the 1 new player would have been better than no new players.....

26. ubermick

The reason I have a hard time thinking the same way is because of the manager we have.

If Hodgson was still in charge, and funds were being pulled from him, he'd likely never have noticed, the fucking simpleton that he is.
    If Kenny was still in charge, and funds were being pulled from him, he'd likely have not said anything to not sully the club's name in the media.
    If Rodgers was still in charge, and funds were being pulled from him, he'd likely have seen it as further proof of his greatness being able to manage with so little.

But Klopp? I don't know the man personally, but from absolutely EVERYTHING I've heard in interviews and articles, if funds were being pulled from him, he'd walk. I genuinely think that.

So I believe that Klopp and the owners are on the same page when it comes to transfers. There are two ways of looking at that - some will view it as the owners having a puppet that will do their bidding. As mentioned, I don't for a second believe that Klopp is that sort of man. So the other way of doing it is that the board/owners/whoever sat down with Klopp 18 months ago, Klopp said "I'll take the job, as long as it's done my way, and here is my way..."

For me... yeah, frustrating not seeing us sign the players we want/need. But for the first time in a fucking long time we're seeing us say "This is what we want, and this is what we're going to get. We're not settling." I have no problem with that - and I wish to fuck we had that attitude years ago when Torres left, and the club was so keen on spending the money that we bought a fucking £35m donkey.

27. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Liked just for this line, all the other stuff was just icing on the cake :well done:

28. ubermick

But they DID have an agreement in place with Barca. The problem is that there is NO way to force a player to move. I mean, they can make life miserable for him at the club, exile him, tell him repeatedly that he's not in the clubs' plans. But if they're on a contract, there's no way to put a proverbial gun to his head and tell him he HAS to go to X club. Sanchez and his missus wanted the Lahndahn life, end of story.

Now, could the club have flung inordinate amounts of money at him to get him to pick Anfield instead of the north london morgue? Yeah, they likely could have offered him £250k a week or whatever to make up for the lack of a local Harrods, but what would that have cost? A half dozen players would have been at the manager's door the following Monday morning demanding parity.

29. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

Last 3 transfer windows have been very quiet and overall +ve cash ..... and I think that may be to do with the stadium expansion as well as no europe etc...

Same thing happened to Arsenal for many years - in fact they sold so many players every season whilst their new stadium being built.

What will Spurs spend this summer - which big name is being linked? If anything players are being linked away.

So now that we've got the new stand and we've gained FSGs confidence that we can fill it, money is there to spend - Klopp new this when he signed with us, and he reckoning is about to come.

But I like the shrewd and disciplined streak in him - players have got to want to come to us and they have to want to play for Klopp in his way - he's quick to dismiss players if they don't tick the boxes etc.

I think its about to come real good this window and next, and we will have a proper team ready for next season.

30. Never Say Never

Never Say Never FSG are the iluminati

Suarez is my favorite player in the world, and I'm pretty familiar with him and his history. There was zero chance he was staying.