The Owners

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by liveforthereds, Nov 12, 2012.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Don’t think it’s a secret we are looking to strengthen, and there is no reason to come out all chest puffing telling the world we’re rich, at the same time there is also no other reason for them to come out and say January is difficult to buy. They came out because fans are expecting new names and they throw this piece of article out there to just keep the fans quiet. We all know the budget annually is £40m more or less.

2. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Not much to see here and what he said is basically what we already know

"“The availability of players in the January window is continuing to diminish, it’s now an anomaly if you’re able to do something...." - Don't necessarily agree with the last sentence because there is some activity in January, but the first one i believe is clearly true.

"“But showing discipline (in the transfer market) and staying true to your principles is really important, and that’s one of the reasons we didn’t add to the squad. We tried. And the same goes for all windows." - This is not news to anyone and particularly true since Klopp took over. The player must be a great fit or we won't make the move.

3. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Note that Gordon was interviewed by Honigstein about the January 2017 window, and the article is clearly part of the book sales campaign with at least one edition being released this week. The interview could not have taken place any time after around June unless it is a very late addition. I very much doubt the FSG agenda has anything to do with the article.

I will be curious to read the book....job done.

4. Nikola

Nikola Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome. Admin

However, there are a few decent players club could get on a free transfer, so I hope they've already put out feelers towards their representatives. Needs must, they still have the money to pay to get them in January, which is peanuts considering their value. I don't expect a miraculous January, nor a real statement of intent from FSG when it comes to net spend but a bit more prudence that clubs like Juventus show would be most welcome.

Klopptinho likes this.
  5. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

the problem being that clubs will still try and make you pay through the nose to get them now. a bit like with ox. if they know you're showing signs of desperation in needing to get them in.. they drive the hard bargain. there used to be a time when they came for peanuts.. but with the market the way it is .. some consider £25m... peanuts.:-(

6. Arminius

Trying to be objective, I think this coming window is particularly tough to understand and predict. Thinking of the transfer market as simply a market, a lot of the fundamentals are not that great. The single largest cash flow (PL TV money) is expected to at least flatten out, same true but less so for CL broadcast funds. FFP has had the odd effect of squeezing the flows so that the big transfers take a much larger share of the market than they used to. At the same time, prices at the top of the market have surged violently (even before the Neymar). Intuitively, it feels a little like a bubble, and January will be the first window in which clubs have to figure out what was really happening this summer.

Scott Jones, NYRhockey and Klopptinho like this.
  7. James H

James H "One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"

I don't have much of a head for markets and finances but if there is no buy in January i won't be surprised or worried, the evolution of our team is a slow long term project i feel, and I'm happy to wait and see if it works and/or to what degree it works.

8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

You could in theory get the complete spine of a young but potentially worldclass team;

Shaw
    Gimenez
    Goretzka
    Meyer

9. James H

James H "One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"

Shaw, no hope.

Klopptinho, Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Sorry I meant in general, but then you could add Can to that :]

I'd love us to take Chiellini on a free in summer, think he'd be the perfect mentor to someone like Gomez, but doubt he'd leave Italy.

James H likes this.
  11. lfc.eddie

Didn't know Can injured himself 75% of the time of each season....

12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

13. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

TV Money probably, Henry is one of the leading campaigners for it being re-distributed by demand v's the one and all approach.

I'd hazard a guess one of the reasons FSG have not sold is they still think there is a chance of some sort of streaming services for games, if that ever became reality Liverpool would be worth a fucking fortune!

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  14. Arminius

While the broad possibility is likely, the EFL by definition doesn't have much say over the PL TV money.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  15. lfc.eddie

Yeah, isn't Football League the governing body of Championship and below, together with FA and League Cup? Premier League as far as I know is a stand alone entity, but all reports to the FA, no?

16. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Yeah it's very odd that he was a guest of the EFL guy, they all report to the FA, The FA Cup is the FA's trophy as is the Vase, the League cup and the Checkatrade trophy are EFL tournaments.

Maybe he is looking in ways to get out of future EFL tournaments. Considering it seemed at times FSG were the ones who wanted Coutinho to stay, I think some of our fans are a little jumpy in their conclusions.

Perhaps it's a possible expansion of EFL to American shores through FSG. I would bank it's far more likely to be a business deal than a transfer one.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  17. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

Does anyone know when the new balance deal ends?

I’m sure it’s end of this season.

Interesting to see what our owners can do.

18. Arminius

It does, but the timing is not necessarily ideal. I don't see that LFC has done quite enough to make Adidas or Nike realign their priorities, nor do I see it likely that any other third-party is going to change the calculus. The most likely outcome is a renewal with enough of an increase to catch the Arsenal Puma deal, not enough to gain much ground on Chelsea or ManU.

We need to win something.

Klopptinho likes this.
  19. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Or sign Messi.

Klopptinho likes this.
  20. Red_Jedi

Agreed. However Adidas only have 1 of the top 6. Perhaps a space to renew with us?

21. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Not sure i'd want to go back to Adidas for their lacklustre identikits.

melbournered, James H and Arminius like this.
  22. Red_Jedi

My favourite kit was the adidas candy kit (92-94 i think)

Kits come and go way too quickly these days - so I'm more interested in how much cash we get (and then can we get some proper quality talent in)

Scott Jones likes this.
  23. Arminius

Their core strategy has been to have a big name in each league and then some useful sidekicks. In the top 6 they care about, they have Real, ManU, and Bayern. They treated LFC like dirt when Chelsea was their PL 'big name', and Chelsea's market draw is nowhere near ManU's. Adidas might talk to LFC, but they won't offer a premium in either monetary or profile terms.

24. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

[​IMG]
    This one,if so i loved it and the home one and i loved the later versions as well.
    89/91 i think.

Red_Jedi, James H and Klopptinho like this.
  25. Digger88

Digger88 Member

Adidas and Nike's loss Arminus, figures so far from Sports Direct show we are a clear 2nd behind that team. The deal we have with New balance is a good one as it allows them to open up the standalone LFC stores around the world. Can't see Nike or Adidas allowing that loss of income for the money NB are paying.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...news/man-utd-shirt-arsenal-liverpool-13895643
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-kit-supplier-deal-worth-25million-year.html

26. Arminius

Yes - my sense as well. Nike was hurt by the downgrade from ManU to Chelsea, and adding Spurs doesn't cover that difference. But I can't see them bringing enough to the table to overwhelm the advantages that NB offers.

MarcusBerglund, James H and Digger88 like this.
  27. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Adolf Dassler's offspring and the corporate bastardisation of the Greek goddess of victory can go and, well, fornicate with themselves. As @Arminius said, Adidas couldn't wait to drop us to go on their knees to whoever was the flavour of the month at the time (no loyalty where there is money to be made of course). Likewise Nike and their association with that plastic bag of corporate arse licking shite from West London.

If we end up in partnership with a kit manufacturer who wants to grow in tandem with us, fine, I can live with that. I'm pragmatic enough not to get too hung up on it.
    However, if we were to jump into the sack (so to speak) with Hummel then I'd be off faster than Xabi Alonso to the LFC shop to buy a replica shirt. I say that as someone who has never, ever, owned a replica shirt. If you have never read anything about this particular company, it might be worth perusing t'interweb and checking out for yourselves what they're about. In view of some of Peter Moore's recent comments regarding being a good neighbour, ethical behaviour etc. then Hummel wouldn't be a bad lot to join up with.

redbj likes this.
  28. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

company's name is derived from the popular Hamburg greeting ("Hamburger Gruß"), which is known throughout northern Germany: One says Hummel, Hummel and the other replies with Mors, Mors (German dialect for "buttocks"). The origin of this saying trades back to the 19th century, when a Hamburg citizen with the name Hummel answered greetings with Mors, Mors, which is short for "lick my ass".

From wiki.

Presume the licking arse bit is why you'd buy in?

Klopptinho, Red_Jedi and James H like this.
  29. Red_Jedi

I did like this one - last time we won the league. But it was the one after this that got me. I've got the green away one - still Candy, 3 stripes on top right - diagonal, and 3 stripes on left of shorts.... You know the one. I'm sure someone will post it. Must be 91-93.

https://www.classicfootballshirts.c...pperjam&publisherId=164539&clickId=2136646558

Klopptinho and Scott Jones like this.
  30. Red Armada

Red Armada TIA Regular

All you need to know about Adidas in encapsulated into this article: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/01/adidas-ceo-confirms-end-of-lfc-relationship/

“The gap between their performance on the field and what the number should be is not in balance. Then we said, ‘Okay we will not do it. That’s the end of the story.’” That's from 2012. 5 years before when we were playing in our second CL final in 3 years, they weren't exactly going out of their way to secure more profitable terms for us.

Fuck them. If and when we end up challenging for domestic and European honors regularly and they are once again interested, I hope we tell them to do one. They shouldn't be even in the running. Oh and Puma too because their kits are just atrocious.

Klopptinho, James H and Arminius like this.