• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Owners

Big_Doogs

My worry when FSG came on board was that they would just throw money at it, spend big on players and leave us in a situation where if they got bored and stopped spending we would be in troubled, big trouble. So I am delighted with them and the approach they have taken.

They rightly focused on getting things right off the pitch. They kept us in the top 4 conversation each season whilst fixing things off the pitch. We were years behind ManU and others as far as the marketing side of things goes, then there was the stadium issue and so on. So many people wanted them to just get on with it and build the new stadium but they took their time and wanted to be sure to get it right. Did anyone really want them to just trust that H&G had done a good job on their due diligence and planning for the Stadium in Stanley Park? Would they really have come up with the best thing for the community and the club? FSG were switched on from day one and knew they had to start again. How right they were and what a great job they have done.

They wanted a director of football model from day one. They had a ton of pressure from the media and the fan base that it was the wrong model, after appointing Comolli. It didn’t help that Torres put in a last minute transfer request that resulted in the panic buy of Andy Carroll. Keeping Torres made no sense as he would have sulked (he already was and £50 was overpayment) but can you imagine the reaction had we not bought Carroll and let Torres go? The outcry about Americans asset stripping would have been deafening. As it was there was still plenty of such criticism at the time, over there being a net profit as Suarez was already done). The grief they got over the Henderson signing/fee didn’t help either, even though it was always a buy with an eye on the future (and what great business it was).

Everyone blamed the model for the squad issues we had at that time, whereas I always felt it was mainly a hangover from the previous regime. That’s when they made their biggest mistake which was doubting themselves and the model they wanted. So we ended up with the Transfer committee. They rightly knew you couldn’t give managers free reign with the cheque book, but the halfway house approach meant Rogers had no accountability for his role in recruiting and he clearly allowed his personal views to affect team selection when the committee overruled him (not playing Firmino for example). But they learned.

They now have a model that works both for the club and the manager, if I am honest I am not 100% certain how it works behind the scenes but everyone is on the same page. I think we have the model spot on though in that we are making sure all parties are comfortable with things. That then needs to be right at the top of the list of attributes for a new manager, making sure he works in a way that the club is 100% happy with.

So despite all the stuff on the pitch not moving as fast as we wanted, off the pitch massive strides were made. I won’t rehash it all, but off the pitch the club is sustainable on its own. If FSG stopped spending the club would still be fine and could remain competitive. It is now a great asset and potential investment for someone. If FSG decided to get out, we would have options and time. We no won’t be in the situation again where we are begging for a buyer to save us. It is absolutely correct that they got that side off things sorted first.

On the pitch though Klopp has quietly built a strong foundation. The academy is better stocked and there is a clear path through to the first team. We are now in a position where we only needs a small number of players in each window, going forward. Most signing can now be signings to fill one of two spots and make the first 11 stronger. We are mow no longer paying out 10 million here and there for players to fill out the squad. It takes time to build that base which is why they sought to spread out the Suarez money, signing another marquee player would not have helped us long term. Granted we wasted some of that money, but the approach was correct. You cannot sign 10 players in one go and expect to build the depth and culture you want. Both FSG (as the same applies to any team sport) and Klopp get that. Klopp has first built the depth and most importantly the culture. New signings now will fit in with the cultured that is already here. That’s why signing Shaqiri never worried me, he would just want to fit in with what he can see is a healthy culture. We could not have signed him 3 years ago. It is now a situation where marquee signings make absolute sense.

FSG and Klopp are a great partnership, but first and foremost it is FSG that I am delighted with. Klopp rightly gets the plaudits but FSG have given him the environment he needed to build this side. He hasn’t been put under unrealistic pressure at any time, even when we missed out on the top 4. So many clubs would have fired him at that point.

FSG are great owners and I genuinely believe they are in it for the long haul.

C

Caradoc

My worry when FSG came on board was that they would just throw money at it, spend big on players and leave us in a situation where if they got bored and stopped spending we would be in troubled, big trouble. So I am delighted with them and the approach they have taken.

They rightly focused on getting things right off the pitch. They kept us in the top 4 conversation each season whilst fixing things off the pitch. We were years behind ManU and others as far as the marketing side of things goes, then there was the stadium issue and so on. So many people wanted them to just get on with it and build the new stadium but they took their time and wanted to be sure to get it right. Did anyone really want them to just trust that H&G had done a good job on their due diligence and planning for the Stadium in Stanley Park? Would they really have come up with the best thing for the community and the club? FSG were switched on from day one and knew they had to start again. How right they were and what a great job they have done.

They wanted a director of football model from day one. They had a ton of pressure from the media and the fan base that it was the wrong model, after appointing Comolli. It didn’t help that Torres put in a last minute transfer request that resulted in the panic buy of Andy Carroll. Keeping Torres made no sense as he would have sulked (he already was and £50 was overpayment) but can you imagine the reaction had we not bought Carroll and let Torres go? The outcry about Americans asset stripping would have been deafening. As it was there was still plenty of such criticism at the time, over there being a net profit as Suarez was already done). The grief they got over the Henderson signing/fee didn’t help either, even though it was always a buy with an eye on the future (and what great business it was).

Everyone blamed the model for the squad issues we had at that time, whereas I always felt it was mainly a hangover from the previous regime. That’s when they made their biggest mistake which was doubting themselves and the model they wanted. So we ended up with the Transfer committee. They rightly knew you couldn’t give managers free reign with the cheque book, but the halfway house approach meant Rogers had no accountability for his role in recruiting and he clearly allowed his personal views to affect team selection when the committee overruled him (not playing Firmino for example). But they learned.

They now have a model that works both for the club and the manager, if I am honest I am not 100% certain how it works behind the scenes but everyone is on the same page. I think we have the model spot on though in that we are making sure all parties are comfortable with things. That then needs to be right at the top of the list of attributes for a new manager, making sure he works in a way that the club is 100% happy with.

So despite all the stuff on the pitch not moving as fast as we wanted, off the pitch massive strides were made. I won’t rehash it all, but off the pitch the club is sustainable on its own. If FSG stopped spending the club would still be fine and could remain competitive. It is now a great asset and potential investment for someone. If FSG decided to get out, we would have options and time. We no won’t be in the situation again where we are begging for a buyer to save us. It is absolutely correct that they got that side off things sorted first.

On the pitch though Klopp has quietly built a strong foundation. The academy is better stocked and there is a clear path through to the first team. We are now in a position where we only needs a small number of players in each window, going forward. Most signing can now be signings to fill one of two spots and make the first 11 stronger. We are mow no longer paying out 10 million here and there for players to fill out the squad. It takes time to build that base which is why they sought to spread out the Suarez money, signing another marquee player would not have helped us long term. Granted we wasted some of that money, but the approach was correct. You cannot sign 10 players in one go and expect to build the depth and culture you want. Both FSG (as the same applies to any team sport) and Klopp get that. Klopp has first built the depth and most importantly the culture. New signings now will fit in with the cultured that is already here. That’s why signing Shaqiri never worried me, he would just want to fit in with what he can see is a healthy culture. We could not have signed him 3 years ago. It is now a situation where marquee signings make absolute sense.

FSG and Klopp are a great partnership, but first and foremost it is FSG that I am delighted with. Klopp rightly gets the plaudits but FSG have given him the environment he needed to build this side. He hasn’t been put under unrealistic pressure at any time, even when we missed out on the top 4. So many clubs would have fired him at that point.

FSG are great owners and I genuinely believe they are in it for the long haul.

That’s a really good post. I enjoyed reading that! :well done:

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I still remember the dark days, prior to take over there were talks about points being deducted and us going into administration and shit.
We had hit bottom. No direction, H&G gave rafa a bone dry budget, sacked him, Appointment a clueless Roy, and we were flirting with relegation for the first 7 games if memory serves me correct.
Then in December, i remember being hooked on to every fucking podcast, linking us with Middle east take over, Chinese, heck even the richest man from my country was linked with it.
Finally, FSG took over. Was very skeptical at first. Not knowing want to expect, we had no direction, our best players wanted out. Torres left. But we are lucky to have in great players in Gerrard, Carragher, Kuyt,Agger who stood by us. In came the King to stabilize the boat. We liverpool fans have a lot to thank those players, they could have walked on to any of the biggest club in europe at that time. They choose to be here and that is something we should never forget.
We signed one of our best players of this decade (Think Salah will beat him though) in Suarez. We then had a decent manager in Rodgers. All these were learning phase not only for our club, but also for FSG. They have understood that Liverpool is a special club, and have acted in a very professional way to address stadium expansion, had the long term vision to appoint klopp. Never shied to spend big on the correct players.
This is 8+ years of though and investment done carefully.
I can't think of where we would have been had FSG not taken over.
Yes, they do have minor problems, but that is nothing compared to the vision and strategy they have for this club.
I hope our owner continue doing the good work, keep their feet grounded, be humble and take us to the top of world football, the Liverpool Way.
Credit where its due, Well don FSG.
YNWA

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Yeah same case for Khaled, mother is the aunt to Mansour, but father is half brother of Mansour. Messed up... bloody messed up. The Emirs and Sauds are all marrying each other. Which is why they are all a bit whacky in their head. Happens in Kuwait kingdom too....
It's a travesty that these backward inbreeds are allowed to have such a huge influence on the "modern" world, on geographical reasons alone.

Big_Doogs

Yes they broke the spending records for players in "those positions". Fine, but even then its not the same as when we sold coutinho for over 100++ million or United buying Pogba or PSG buying Mbappe for example. Have we reached that level ?
Which is the wrong model. PSG keep making big signings without building an identity and culture first; and sign Neymar and achieve basically nothing by doing so. They now have someone that thinks he is bigger than the club and only makes the club culture worse. PSG are worse for it, so are Utd with Pogba.

lfc.8

Which is the wrong model. PSG keep making big signings without building an identity and culture first; and sign Neymar and achieve basically nothing by doing so. They now have someone that thinks he is bigger than the club and only makes the club culture worse. PSG are worse for it, so are Utd with Pogba.
PSG are building an identity and culture. Signing Neymar was great business. One of the top few players in the world. Clearly a lot of money but something they can afford. Buying the best is what the top clubs do. It's obvious they've set ambitions to win the champions league but it will always remain a challenge.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It's a travesty that these backward inbreeds are allowed to have such a huge influence on the "modern" world, on geographical reasons alone.
Well not too long ago, them Euro monarchs aren't exactly that different.

Big_Doogs

PSG are building an identity and culture. Signing Neymar was great business. One of the top few players in the world. Clearly a lot of money but something they can afford. Buying the best is what the top clubs do. It's obvious they've set ambitions to win the champions league but it will always remain a challenge.
Are they though? No club should be about 1 player and the flirting with Real this summer proves that. All the talk I saw was about Neymar who happens to play for PSG, no one was talking about PSG and how they are moving forward. BTW, Mbappe will prove to be better business (I am sure you will agree). There is nothing wrong with buying the best, but it needs to be with intent and purpose rather than just buying the biggest names possible.

Players like Neymar are the cherry on the cake, you can only add them once the cake is made. PSG are still struggling to find their identity and the constant changes in the dugout is part of that. Look at City, it’s only now with Pep that they have a clearly defined identity and culture after years of throwing money around recklessly - with a lot of hit and miss. Both Pep and Klopp want specific players for specific roles and you can clearly see that. It’s much more deliberate than the likes of PSG who I genuinely think only bought Neymar because they could. I don’t know, maybe that is reason enough for them. For me it wouldn’t be.

gr_sounder

Are they though? No club should be about 1 player and the flirting with Real this summer proves that. All the talk I saw was about Neymar who happens to play for PSG, no one was talking about PSG and how they are moving forward. BTW, Mbappe will prove to be better business (I am sure you will agree). There is nothing wrong with buying the best, but it needs to be with intent and purpose rather than just buying the biggest names possible.

Players like Neymar are the cherry on the cake, you can only add them once the cake is made. PSG are still struggling to find their identity and the constant changes in the dugout is part of that. Look at City, it’s only now with Pep that they have a clearly defined identity and culture after years of throwing money around recklessly - with a lot of hit and miss. Both Pep and Klopp want specific players for specific roles and you can clearly see that. It’s much more deliberate than the likes of PSG who I genuinely think only bought Neymar because they could. I don’t know, maybe that is reason enough for them. For me it wouldn’t be.
Maybe I'm in the vast minority, but I really don't think Neymar is worth anywhere close to his hype. I don't see any team that is actually better with him in the lineup than they would be with just another 1-2 good players that in total would cost less than half the cost. I just don't see what Neymar brings that is so special. Mbappe on the other hand, will be a great bit of business for PSG. I think he has real talent and will be who they use as their icon long after Neymar leaves. When talking about these 2, based on the way FSG do business in other sports, I would think they'd never sign a Neymar.... but they would love an Mbappe. Of course this would be all moot while we have Klopp, as I don't think Jurgen would ever want a Neymar type.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Maybe I'm in the vast minority, but I really don't think Neymar is worth anywhere close to his hype. I don't see any team that is actually better with him in the lineup than they would be with just another 1-2 good players that in total would cost less than half the cost. I just don't see what Neymar brings that is so special. Mbappe on the other hand, will be a great bit of business for PSG. I think he has real talent and will be who they use as their icon long after Neymar leaves. When talking about these 2, based on the way FSG do business in other sports, I would think they'd never sign a Neymar.... but they would love an Mbappe. Of course this would be all moot while we have Klopp, as I don't think Jurgen would ever want a Neymar type.
Have to agree that Mbappe will end up being better than Neymar. In fact Mbappe can land in the Pele/Maradona/Messi/Ronaldo zone.
Even though Neymar is not worth the money which PSG payed for him, the game where he single handedly won the game for Barca against PSG proves that he is one of the best players around. Him going nuts and rolling on and on and on in the world cup is altogether a different story though.

Claymenza

FSG have been reasonable, patient and astute in all of their major decisions so far and their tenure.
They admitted to making a mistake with the andy carroll purchase, but the administration was still in its infancy so they get a pass.

Yes the brendan rodgers regime could have been handled better but Suarez was always going to move to barcelona anyway. When klopp took over, the lads already knew how to play football.

It's good to see that FSG is in this for the long haul and they also identify Klopp as a manager who is engaged the same way.

That said, I like how they expanded the stadium too and are looking for the project
I'm not a fan of the additional sponsor on the sleeve

Livvy

Alles wird gut

After the music concert side of the application was deferred, Liverpool suggested that it would reduce the number of planned concerts from 10 to 6 - and crucially indicated it would be willing to accept a temporary two-year licence for the events, meaning that the permission can be reviewed.

"It means that Liverpool now has a two-year licence to hold 50,000 seater concerts as well as boxing matches and other combat sports at the stadium from next summer."

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I have to say these partnerships coming through are brilliant pieces of marketing and generating revenue - so we can see the likes of Alisson in our goal!

I have never heard of Tiger Wit Global, and probably have no need to use them, but overnight - think how many millions of people will be marketed to.

Good business from the club I say, and as the team gathers more momentum, we get better deals - and we get to see better players on the pitch etc.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I have never heard of Tiger Wit Global, and probably have no need to use them, but overnight - think how many millions of people will be marketed to.
I would recommend someone reading this thread before going into anything just because they are our club sponsor -> https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/forex-broker-scam.25963/

They were setup in China in 2015. Quite a new player, and just took over Mercor Index Ltd last year. Their commission is bit high compared to some other more reputable and seasoned broker houses.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hes full of shit tbh. Our deal is special in we earn from merchandising etc. So it was actually worth approx £50mil per season, which over 6 years was a fantastic deal. Also ignores the fact most of those deals are recent renewals.. Ours was 5 years ago.
Doesn't it expire at the end of the season? So the need to renegotiate ASAP is sort of moot, it is already on the agenda. It is way below market now, it wasn't at the time. Exactly the same comment can apply to City's. It is a perverse outcome that the two of the three highest deals for English clubs now are with teams not in the CL at all.

It is actually a tough one for NB, they got CL final exposure with the current deal and definitely have an increasing asset, but the underlying business for them might have a difficult time supporting what is likely to be double the cost per year.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Doesn't expire at the end of the season? So the need to renegotiate ASAP is sort of moot, it is already on the agenda. It is way below market now, it wasn't at the time. Exactly the same comment can apply to City's. It is a perverse outcome that the two of the three highest deals for English clubs now are with teams not in the CL at all.

It is actually a tough one for NB, they got CL final exposure with the current deal and definitely have an increasing asset, but the underlying business for them might have a difficult time supporting what is likely to be double the cost per year.
I think so, but Im no expert just what I read online etc.

I also read Nike really want us, they’ve lost a lot of clients recently so would love a massive club on their books.. This could price NB out, or the Boston connection may swing it (and another similar commercial element like we have currently.) I think we may push £100mil when we renew.

dockers_strike

Ive got serious doubts about the headline figure being quoted for Arsenal's new deal.

Adidas are known to be very stringent in their deals and it's part of the reason we went with Warrior \ NB when their deal expired. Adidas wanted to keep all the merchandising money for all the Adidas branded gear sold by LFC. They also stated we were 'not worth' what we were wanting despite only United and Real shifting more replica shirts a year than us.

If Arsenal have bagged a £60m a year deal with Adidas, it will be heavily incentivised needing to be in the CL each year, top 4 finishes in the PL at least and I suspect, see Arsenal hand over all the money they sell with the Adidas branding. Arsenal havent been in the CL for 2 season and might not be for a 3rd. I cannot see Adidas handing over £60m a year to them on that basis. It's not like they are a massive replica shirt seller in the scheme of things.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hes full of shit tbh. Our deal is special in we earn from merchandising etc. So it was actually worth approx £50mil per season, which over 6 years was a fantastic deal. Also ignores the fact most of those deals are recent renewals.. Ours was 5 years ago.
Yes our deal should be expiring by summer of 2019, so it’s time to renegotiate or get better deal in place. And as for your comment about merchandising, every club earns from merchandising, a percentage of merchandise sold under clubs logo and name will be paid certain royalty fees, ours are no different. So ours aren’t anything special and it isn’t worth £50m.

I would prefer it if we were to sign up with big brands. Even though these brands may have already gotten other clubs like Madrid and Barcelona, we are still a name they would easily sell in the market. If without Champs League, Arsenal is fetching £60m, I would expect us to fetch at least £80-85m for ours next summer. That’s one Van Dijk per season right there.