• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Owners

Big_Doogs

Yes they broke the spending records for players in "those positions". Fine, but even then its not the same as when we sold coutinho for over 100++ million or United buying Pogba or PSG buying Mbappe for example. Have we reached that level ?
Which is the wrong model. PSG keep making big signings without building an identity and culture first; and sign Neymar and achieve basically nothing by doing so. They now have someone that thinks he is bigger than the club and only makes the club culture worse. PSG are worse for it, so are Utd with Pogba.

lfc.8

Which is the wrong model. PSG keep making big signings without building an identity and culture first; and sign Neymar and achieve basically nothing by doing so. They now have someone that thinks he is bigger than the club and only makes the club culture worse. PSG are worse for it, so are Utd with Pogba.
PSG are building an identity and culture. Signing Neymar was great business. One of the top few players in the world. Clearly a lot of money but something they can afford. Buying the best is what the top clubs do. It's obvious they've set ambitions to win the champions league but it will always remain a challenge.

Big_Doogs

PSG are building an identity and culture. Signing Neymar was great business. One of the top few players in the world. Clearly a lot of money but something they can afford. Buying the best is what the top clubs do. It's obvious they've set ambitions to win the champions league but it will always remain a challenge.
Are they though? No club should be about 1 player and the flirting with Real this summer proves that. All the talk I saw was about Neymar who happens to play for PSG, no one was talking about PSG and how they are moving forward. BTW, Mbappe will prove to be better business (I am sure you will agree). There is nothing wrong with buying the best, but it needs to be with intent and purpose rather than just buying the biggest names possible.

Players like Neymar are the cherry on the cake, you can only add them once the cake is made. PSG are still struggling to find their identity and the constant changes in the dugout is part of that. Look at City, it’s only now with Pep that they have a clearly defined identity and culture after years of throwing money around recklessly - with a lot of hit and miss. Both Pep and Klopp want specific players for specific roles and you can clearly see that. It’s much more deliberate than the likes of PSG who I genuinely think only bought Neymar because they could. I don’t know, maybe that is reason enough for them. For me it wouldn’t be.

gr_sounder

Are they though? No club should be about 1 player and the flirting with Real this summer proves that. All the talk I saw was about Neymar who happens to play for PSG, no one was talking about PSG and how they are moving forward. BTW, Mbappe will prove to be better business (I am sure you will agree). There is nothing wrong with buying the best, but it needs to be with intent and purpose rather than just buying the biggest names possible.

Players like Neymar are the cherry on the cake, you can only add them once the cake is made. PSG are still struggling to find their identity and the constant changes in the dugout is part of that. Look at City, it’s only now with Pep that they have a clearly defined identity and culture after years of throwing money around recklessly - with a lot of hit and miss. Both Pep and Klopp want specific players for specific roles and you can clearly see that. It’s much more deliberate than the likes of PSG who I genuinely think only bought Neymar because they could. I don’t know, maybe that is reason enough for them. For me it wouldn’t be.
Maybe I'm in the vast minority, but I really don't think Neymar is worth anywhere close to his hype. I don't see any team that is actually better with him in the lineup than they would be with just another 1-2 good players that in total would cost less than half the cost. I just don't see what Neymar brings that is so special. Mbappe on the other hand, will be a great bit of business for PSG. I think he has real talent and will be who they use as their icon long after Neymar leaves. When talking about these 2, based on the way FSG do business in other sports, I would think they'd never sign a Neymar.... but they would love an Mbappe. Of course this would be all moot while we have Klopp, as I don't think Jurgen would ever want a Neymar type.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Maybe I'm in the vast minority, but I really don't think Neymar is worth anywhere close to his hype. I don't see any team that is actually better with him in the lineup than they would be with just another 1-2 good players that in total would cost less than half the cost. I just don't see what Neymar brings that is so special. Mbappe on the other hand, will be a great bit of business for PSG. I think he has real talent and will be who they use as their icon long after Neymar leaves. When talking about these 2, based on the way FSG do business in other sports, I would think they'd never sign a Neymar.... but they would love an Mbappe. Of course this would be all moot while we have Klopp, as I don't think Jurgen would ever want a Neymar type.
Have to agree that Mbappe will end up being better than Neymar. In fact Mbappe can land in the Pele/Maradona/Messi/Ronaldo zone.
Even though Neymar is not worth the money which PSG payed for him, the game where he single handedly won the game for Barca against PSG proves that he is one of the best players around. Him going nuts and rolling on and on and on in the world cup is altogether a different story though.

Claymenza

FSG have been reasonable, patient and astute in all of their major decisions so far and their tenure.
They admitted to making a mistake with the andy carroll purchase, but the administration was still in its infancy so they get a pass.

Yes the brendan rodgers regime could have been handled better but Suarez was always going to move to barcelona anyway. When klopp took over, the lads already knew how to play football.

It's good to see that FSG is in this for the long haul and they also identify Klopp as a manager who is engaged the same way.

That said, I like how they expanded the stadium too and are looking for the project
I'm not a fan of the additional sponsor on the sleeve

Livvy

Alles wird gut

After the music concert side of the application was deferred, Liverpool suggested that it would reduce the number of planned concerts from 10 to 6 - and crucially indicated it would be willing to accept a temporary two-year licence for the events, meaning that the permission can be reviewed.

"It means that Liverpool now has a two-year licence to hold 50,000 seater concerts as well as boxing matches and other combat sports at the stadium from next summer."

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I have to say these partnerships coming through are brilliant pieces of marketing and generating revenue - so we can see the likes of Alisson in our goal!

I have never heard of Tiger Wit Global, and probably have no need to use them, but overnight - think how many millions of people will be marketed to.

Good business from the club I say, and as the team gathers more momentum, we get better deals - and we get to see better players on the pitch etc.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I have never heard of Tiger Wit Global, and probably have no need to use them, but overnight - think how many millions of people will be marketed to.
I would recommend someone reading this thread before going into anything just because they are our club sponsor -> https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/forex-broker-scam.25963/

They were setup in China in 2015. Quite a new player, and just took over Mercor Index Ltd last year. Their commission is bit high compared to some other more reputable and seasoned broker houses.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hes full of shit tbh. Our deal is special in we earn from merchandising etc. So it was actually worth approx £50mil per season, which over 6 years was a fantastic deal. Also ignores the fact most of those deals are recent renewals.. Ours was 5 years ago.
Doesn't it expire at the end of the season? So the need to renegotiate ASAP is sort of moot, it is already on the agenda. It is way below market now, it wasn't at the time. Exactly the same comment can apply to City's. It is a perverse outcome that the two of the three highest deals for English clubs now are with teams not in the CL at all.

It is actually a tough one for NB, they got CL final exposure with the current deal and definitely have an increasing asset, but the underlying business for them might have a difficult time supporting what is likely to be double the cost per year.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Doesn't expire at the end of the season? So the need to renegotiate ASAP is sort of moot, it is already on the agenda. It is way below market now, it wasn't at the time. Exactly the same comment can apply to City's. It is a perverse outcome that the two of the three highest deals for English clubs now are with teams not in the CL at all.

It is actually a tough one for NB, they got CL final exposure with the current deal and definitely have an increasing asset, but the underlying business for them might have a difficult time supporting what is likely to be double the cost per year.
I think so, but Im no expert just what I read online etc.

I also read Nike really want us, they’ve lost a lot of clients recently so would love a massive club on their books.. This could price NB out, or the Boston connection may swing it (and another similar commercial element like we have currently.) I think we may push £100mil when we renew.

dockers_strike

Ive got serious doubts about the headline figure being quoted for Arsenal's new deal.

Adidas are known to be very stringent in their deals and it's part of the reason we went with Warrior \ NB when their deal expired. Adidas wanted to keep all the merchandising money for all the Adidas branded gear sold by LFC. They also stated we were 'not worth' what we were wanting despite only United and Real shifting more replica shirts a year than us.

If Arsenal have bagged a £60m a year deal with Adidas, it will be heavily incentivised needing to be in the CL each year, top 4 finishes in the PL at least and I suspect, see Arsenal hand over all the money they sell with the Adidas branding. Arsenal havent been in the CL for 2 season and might not be for a 3rd. I cannot see Adidas handing over £60m a year to them on that basis. It's not like they are a massive replica shirt seller in the scheme of things.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hes full of shit tbh. Our deal is special in we earn from merchandising etc. So it was actually worth approx £50mil per season, which over 6 years was a fantastic deal. Also ignores the fact most of those deals are recent renewals.. Ours was 5 years ago.
Yes our deal should be expiring by summer of 2019, so it’s time to renegotiate or get better deal in place. And as for your comment about merchandising, every club earns from merchandising, a percentage of merchandise sold under clubs logo and name will be paid certain royalty fees, ours are no different. So ours aren’t anything special and it isn’t worth £50m.

I would prefer it if we were to sign up with big brands. Even though these brands may have already gotten other clubs like Madrid and Barcelona, we are still a name they would easily sell in the market. If without Champs League, Arsenal is fetching £60m, I would expect us to fetch at least £80-85m for ours next summer. That’s one Van Dijk per season right there.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yes our deal should be expiring by summer of 2019, so it’s time to renegotiate or get better deal in place. And as for your comment about merchandising, every club earns from merchandising, a percentage of merchandise sold under clubs logo and name will be paid certain royalty fees, ours are no different. So ours aren’t anything special and it isn’t worth £50m.

I would prefer it if we were to sign up with big brands. Even though these brands may have already gotten other clubs like Madrid and Barcelona, we are still a name they would easily sell in the market. If without Champs League, Arsenal is fetching £60m, I would expect us to fetch at least £80-85m for ours next summer. That’s one Van Dijk per season right there.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2940817/Liverpool-set-financial-boost-announcing-New-Balance-kit-supplier-deal-worth-25million-year.html

£25mil per year over 6 years that could raise to £300mil total is £50mil a season no?

I thought its not just merchandising, we have the ability to sell our kit via other avenues and therefore double our income, hence 50 not 25 per year as the final figure.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2940817/Liverpool-set-financial-boost-announcing-New-Balance-kit-supplier-deal-worth-25million-year.html

£25mil per year over 6 years that could raise to £300mil total is £50mil a season no?

I thought its not just merchandising, we have the ability to sell our kit via other avenues and therefore double our income, hence 50 not 25 per year as the final figure.
Could raise which is not the same as worth mate. The rest of those clubs are making merchandising too. But it’s no longer relevant come next summer because I would like to think that our new CEO with his contacts would make us a better deal, much better than what Arsenal is making.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I expect that if the Red Sox win the World Series then we will see another investment in January to push for a PL title. I could only imagine the possibility of FSG teams winning both titles in the same seasons, and the drive that would funnel down through the organization

Almost there. If LA Dodgers make it from the NL then both of my favorite teams will face off in the WS for the first time I can remember. Exciting stuff (for me, anyways)

https://nesn.com/2018/10/red-sox-savagely-roast-alex-bregman-after-eliminating-astros-in-game-5/

Go Red Sox!

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I expect that if the Red Sox win the World Series then we will see another investment in January to push for a PL title. I could only imagine the possibility of FSG teams winning both titles in the same seasons, and the drive that would funnel down through the organization

Almost there. If LA Dodgers make it from the NL then both of my favorite teams will face off in the WS for the first time I can remember. Exciting stuff (for me, anyways)

https://nesn.com/2018/10/red-sox-savagely-roast-alex-bregman-after-eliminating-astros-in-game-5/

Go Red Sox!
As a true Orioles fan, you can believe that I mean it when I say, Go whoever is going to play the RS!:tongue: