The Owners

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hes full of shit tbh. Our deal is special in we earn from merchandising etc. So it was actually worth approx £50mil per season, which over 6 years was a fantastic deal. Also ignores the fact most of those deals are recent renewals.. Ours was 5 years ago.
Yes our deal should be expiring by summer of 2019, so it’s time to renegotiate or get better deal in place. And as for your comment about merchandising, every club earns from merchandising, a percentage of merchandise sold under clubs logo and name will be paid certain royalty fees, ours are no different. So ours aren’t anything special and it isn’t worth £50m.

I would prefer it if we were to sign up with big brands. Even though these brands may have already gotten other clubs like Madrid and Barcelona, we are still a name they would easily sell in the market. If without Champs League, Arsenal is fetching £60m, I would expect us to fetch at least £80-85m for ours next summer. That’s one Van Dijk per season right there.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Yes our deal should be expiring by summer of 2019, so it’s time to renegotiate or get better deal in place. And as for your comment about merchandising, every club earns from merchandising, a percentage of merchandise sold under clubs logo and name will be paid certain royalty fees, ours are no different. So ours aren’t anything special and it isn’t worth £50m.

I would prefer it if we were to sign up with big brands. Even though these brands may have already gotten other clubs like Madrid and Barcelona, we are still a name they would easily sell in the market. If without Champs League, Arsenal is fetching £60m, I would expect us to fetch at least £80-85m for ours next summer. That’s one Van Dijk per season right there.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...e-kit-supplier-deal-worth-25million-year.html

£25mil per year over 6 years that could raise to £300mil total is £50mil a season no?

I thought its not just merchandising, we have the ability to sell our kit via other avenues and therefore double our income, hence 50 not 25 per year as the final figure.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...e-kit-supplier-deal-worth-25million-year.html

£25mil per year over 6 years that could raise to £300mil total is £50mil a season no?

I thought its not just merchandising, we have the ability to sell our kit via other avenues and therefore double our income, hence 50 not 25 per year as the final figure.
Could raise which is not the same as worth mate. The rest of those clubs are making merchandising too. But it’s no longer relevant come next summer because I would like to think that our new CEO with his contacts would make us a better deal, much better than what Arsenal is making.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I expect that if the Red Sox win the World Series then we will see another investment in January to push for a PL title. I could only imagine the possibility of FSG teams winning both titles in the same seasons, and the drive that would funnel down through the organization

Almost there. If LA Dodgers make it from the NL then both of my favorite teams will face off in the WS for the first time I can remember. Exciting stuff (for me, anyways)

https://nesn.com/2018/10/red-sox-savagely-roast-alex-bregman-after-eliminating-astros-in-game-5/

Go Red Sox!

Dutch

I expect that if the Red Sox win the World Series then we will see another investment in January to push for a PL title. I could only imagine the possibility of FSG teams winning both titles in the same seasons, and the drive that would funnel down through the organization

Almost there. If LA Dodgers make it from the NL then both of my favorite teams will face off in the WS for the first time I can remember. Exciting stuff (for me, anyways)

https://nesn.com/2018/10/red-sox-savagely-roast-alex-bregman-after-eliminating-astros-in-game-5/

Go Red Sox!
As a true Orioles fan, you can believe that I mean it when I say, Go whoever is going to play the RS!:tongue:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Liverpool fans might just be getting over the bitter taste of defeat in last season's Champions League final but their run to Kiev earned the club a £71.9m sweetener.

Only winners Real Madrid earned more - £78.4m, including a £13.7m bonus for winning a 13th European Cup.

So excluding the 13M bonus for winning their 13th European title, it was actually more beneficial financially to finish 2nd rather than win it?

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Liverpool fans might just be getting over the bitter taste of defeat in last season's Champions League final but their run to Kiev earned the club a £71.9m sweetener.

Only winners Real Madrid earned more - £78.4m, including a £13.7m bonus for winning a 13th European Cup.

So excluding the 13M bonus for winning their 13th European title, it was actually more beneficial financially to finish 2nd rather than win it?
No because we get £9.76m prize money for finishing runners up

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
That is only 1 part of what we earned though. The figures in the article are talking about total amounts.
Ya and Madrid earned 6.5m more than us and roughly 3.25m of that was the prize money so Madrid were still 3m better off so your original point is still wrong

Arminius

FSG PR plant

No, all things being equal you earn more by winning. But ~50% of the earnings are defined by a 'market pool', which reflects the value of the national association's TV deal, with the English one by far the most valuable. The further the team advances, the larger its share of the national market pool, so it also reflects how other sides from that country do. So an English side winning the CL will earn more than any other CL winner, the highest possible payout is an English CL winner where all other English sides go out in the group round. Juventus actually earned more than Real when they lost in the CL final, because the Italian deal is pretty lucrative and they were the only Italian side to go deep, while the smaller Spanish pot was split with Atletico out in the semis and Barca in the quarters.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
No, all things being equal you earn more by winning. But ~50% of the earnings are defined by a 'market pool', which reflects the value of the national association's TV deal, with the English one by far the most valuable. The further the team advances, the larger its share of the national market pool, so it also reflects how other sides from that country do. So an English side winning the CL will earn more than any other CL winner, the highest possible payout is an English CL winner where all other English sides go out in the group round. Juventus actually earned more than Real when they lost in the CL final, because the Italian deal is pretty lucrative and they were the only Italian side to go deep, while the smaller Spanish pot was split with Atletico out in the semis and Barca in the quarters.
Ah, ok, that makes a bit more sense now.

Cheers for the info

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Congrats to the owners on making history with the Red Sox. That's 4 world series wins in 15 years....only the 4th time that's been achieved by a team.

Love that the owners have stuck with the team for so long and continue to make it competitive, as they are doing with our footy team. Long may it continue.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
While waiting for my connecting flight, I was checking on some football related stuff and I came across this article after watching The Debate on Skysports.

They were arguing about Pochettino on whether he has the right to bitch and moan about his position, should he be going to Real and should he be expecting more from his bosses for support. So they put out a figure of £29m net spend by Spurs since Pochettino's appointment (2014), while we sit above them with £183m. So here's the list of top 6 to date..

So I did a bit more digging since I got approximately 90 minutes to burn, and this is what I get from last April....

We have spent approximately £165m in the summer and Spurs had made £21m worth of profit in the last transfer window. Damn.... Finally the owners putting up the cash after seeing us hitting everyone in Europe to reach the finals to make us more competitive. I hope this is not the end of their spending, but I feel this is all that Klopp wanted to strengthen - the entire first 18 playing squad quality improvement.

So I would say well done John Henry for backing Klopp, and please back him up until the end of his tenure. Don't pull the rug underneath his feet please, this man is the real deal and fans truly loves him.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I still think that Van Dijk and Alisson transfers were more exceptions than rule but that type of transfer encouraged me because it looked like something this new Juventus might have done - they are aware when they need to sell a player but they are also great at pinching every penny for him and reinvesting it properly. That's what the owners have done with Coutinho money and that's what they would have done with Torres, Suarez and Sterling money had the structure been in place and had the club been a few positions up the table.

The table Ed posted shows the magnitude of the task awaiting them if they are to turn Liverpool into winners, though. For all of Guardiola's brilliance and Man United's reputation, sheikhs and Glazers have been pouring insane amounts of money into their respective clubs. Catching them will be hard if they sustain this level of spending but at least Liverpool aren't sitting still, a welcome change from past twenty years or so.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The table Ed posted shows the magnitude of the task awaiting them if they are to turn Liverpool into winners, though. For all of Guardiola's brilliance and Man United's reputation, sheikhs and Glazers have been pouring insane amounts of money into their respective clubs. Catching them will be hard if they sustain this level of spending but at least Liverpool aren't sitting still, a welcome change from past twenty years or so.
That's the issue I always have with pundits and a few others when it comes to laying those blame when things went pear shaped. A lot of people keep harping on "net spend isn't important".

Take City for example, they've spent slightly more than us, but in terms of net expenditure they've done 3 times more than us. What does that tell us? They don't sell players at their peak to raise money to buy more players, they are adding. United is doing the same thing. Many would argue it's because they don't have anyone worth big money, and that's absolutely not true. And that is why City is miles ahead of others last season, and still is this season. We are keeping pace because we didn't sell stars and replenish to our squad with another, we were adding last summer.

So I hope this will stop people from saying "but the owners let the manager spend £600m", yes it is true, but it can only be sustainable in terms of on pitch performance if your net spend don't look like ours in April 2018.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I think we were due a "spend" after so many years of keeping it tight and mis spending some income.

If you look at our squad, there are not too many gaps - time will tell if there are areas that need strengthening, but it seems like one of the best squads we have seen in a very very long time.

I am so glad that the owners have invested in areas that we needed. Looking at the defence with Allison and VVD - both big spends, but that pieced together with Robbo, Gomez and TAA (I think under £10m between them?) - amazing!

We could have one of the best midfields if Keita and Fab can realise their potentials and add to Hendo, Milner and Gini (not to mention Ox and Lallana)....

And our front 3 cost us less than £100m - but must now be worth between £300-400m? And that does not include Shaq, Studge, Solanke or Origi.

Klopp has already commented that there won't be any big spend in Jan, but I suppose we will see what happens.... but I get the feeling that our owners are really getting to grips on how it all works, and put some quality players on the pitch, more and more of us want to see and follow this amazing club and team....

It is all looking very positive.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
This is definitely the best squad we've had in 10 years. There's an argument for it being the best in 30 years. Barely a penny wasted since JK became manager.

We just had to invest this Summer. JK won't be around forever and he's up against one of the best squads the PL has ever seen so if we don't go for it now we never will. Despite the increased spend I still feel that we are one attacking player short. If you look at the creative and attacking options that City have it's just incredible. Meanwhile, we are kind of hoping that Salah, Mane and Firmino can just keep going and not have a dip, that Shaqiri will turn out to be the bargain of the season and that Sturridge won't pick up his usual mid-winter injury.

It's been the same story of the last 30 years or so supporting Liverpool. We just need to plug that last remaining gap and when we do we realise another gap has just appeared. So I am hoping we can at least keep in the hunt for the title until the Jan window and look to reinforce then. I don't expect it to happen but I hope that it will.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
This is definitely the best squad we've had in 10 years. There's an argument for it being the best in 30 years. Barely a penny wasted since JK became manager.

We just had to invest this Summer. JK won't be around forever and he's up against one of the best squads the PL has ever seen so if we don't go for it now we never will. Despite the increased spend I still feel that we are one attacking player short. If you look at the creative and attacking options that City have it's just incredible. Meanwhile, we are kind of hoping that Salah, Mane and Firmino can just keep going and not have a dip, that Shaqiri will turn out to be the bargain of the season and that Sturridge won't pick up his usual mid-winter injury.

It's been the same story of the last 30 years or so supporting Liverpool. We just need to plug that last remaining gap and when we do we realise another gap has just appeared. So I am hoping we can at least keep in the hunt for the title until the Jan window and look to reinforce then. I don't expect it to happen but I hope that it will.
It is tough though - I am not sure it is just a single gap. Maybe that attacking player can provide some creative play in midfield, but I'd identify that as a separate gap from the little more attacking prowess we need. But the thing is, we are at a diminishing returns state - which players would really make that difference? We are essentially in the CIty spending range to match City, logically enough. I am not sure who that reinforcement would be is if the objective is to close the gap on City.

The reality is that last year our attack was overachieving. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Salah is a very good player, but we are not likely to see the level we saw for about five months last year. This year's side is probably a better team overall, deeper and better balanced, however is not comparing well to last year's attack when it was firing on all cylinders.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
It is tough though - I am not sure it is just a single gap. Maybe that attacking player can provide some creative play in midfield, but I'd identify that as a separate gap from the little more attacking prowess we need. But the thing is, we are at a diminishing returns state - which players would really make that difference? We are essentially in the CIty spending range to match City, logically enough. I am not sure who that reinforcement would be is if the objective is to close the gap on City.

The reality is that last year our attack was overachieving. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Salah is a very good player, but we are not likely to see the level we saw for about five months last year. This year's side is probably a better team overall, deeper and better balanced, however is not comparing well to last year's attack when it was firing on all cylinders.
Whilst I agree our attack isn’t firing on all cylinders, the fact is that after 11 Prem games last season we had scored 21 and let in 17..... and this season after 11 games we’ve scored 21 and let in 5.

Maybe Klopps team start kicking in after a couple of months into the season.

I think red star on Tuesday and Fulham on Sunday we will see a bucket load of goals. To us.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team

We didn't spend anything in Jan 2014 when the PL was more open and we genuinely stood a chance of winning the league. I don't expect us to spend anything this January when City are so much better than everyone else and we stand less chance.

I see the reality of last season as slightly different. When we had the fab 4 we were playing the best attacking football I had seen since 87/88. We weren't overachieving during that period. We were just brilliant and predictably so. Couldn't defend well enough though but then we bought VVD and suddenly that gap is plugged. Then one week later off goes Coutinho. Another gap is created and so the game begins again.

From then on we didn't over-achieve as such but we were fortunate. There were no injuries to Salah, Mane or Firmino. One of them goes down and our season could have turned out very different. Now we're saying that Salah is just a very good player but probably can't do it again. The performances aren't as good (even though the results are better) and we are asking why the attack isn't firing all cylinders. Isn't it obvious? It's just not possible for us to keep wringing every last bit of juice out of three players for an entire season. It's why Klopp, sensibly, is keeping it tighter this season (and being criticised for it by some).

For me it's about strengthening when we're already strong and this is the strongest we've been for years. If there are players available who can help us creatively then we should be all over them in January.