The Owners

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We didn't spend anything in Jan 2014 when the PL was more open and we genuinely stood a chance of winning the league. I don't expect us to spend anything this January when City are so much better than everyone else and we stand less chance.

I see the reality of last season as slightly different. When we had the fab 4 we were playing the best attacking football I had seen since 87/88. We weren't overachieving during that period. We were just brilliant and predictably so. Couldn't defend well enough though but then we bought VVD and suddenly that gap is plugged. Then one week later off goes Coutinho. Another gap is created and so the game begins again.

From then on we didn't over-achieve as such but we were fortunate. There were no injuries to Salah, Mane or Firmino. One of them goes down and our season could have turned out very different. Now we're saying that Salah is just a very good player but probably can't do it again. The performances aren't as good (even though the results are better) and we are asking why the attack isn't firing all cylinders. Isn't it obvious? It's just not possible for us to keep wringing every last bit of juice out of three players for an entire season. It's why Klopp, sensibly, is keeping it tighter this season (and being criticised for it by some).

For me it's about strengthening when we're already strong and this is the strongest we've been for years. If there are players available who can help us creatively then we should be all over them in January.
I don't disagree with any of that, and I do think Salah's real level is somewhere between where he is now and where he was say January.

But, I look around, and think of which player I would want to make that difference, and I just don't see any single one. I do hope we strengthen, although my expectation is probably closer to yours - the league will have to be within real sight if that is to happen coming off the back of this past summer, particularly because I simply don't expect Klopp to want changes in January.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Whilst I agree our attack isn’t firing on all cylinders, the fact is that after 11 Prem games last season we had scored 21 and let in 17..... and this season after 11 games we’ve scored 21 and let in 5.

Maybe Klopps team start kicking in after a couple of months into the season.

I think red star on Tuesday and Fulham on Sunday we will see a bucket load of goals. To us.
We've been saying that nearly every week for the last 2 months " this weekend we'll return to form" and its not happening. Salah is a shadow of the player he was last season but truth is I don't care if we only beat the likes of Brighton/Fulham 1-0/2-1/2-0 as long as we keep winning and stay in the title race. We have more of a chance of winning the title with a strong defence that a weak one

MarcusBerglund

https://nypost.com/2018/11/08/liverpool-fc-is-quietly-on-the-market/

Liverpool FC is quietly on the market
By Josh Kosman
John Henry, the billionaire owner of the Boston Red Sox, has quietly signaled he’s willing to sell his other trophy sports franchise, the UK-based soccer team Liverpool FC, The Post has learned.

Henry — who on Oct. 28 was busy popping champagne as the Red Sox beat the Los Angeles Dodgers to win the World Series — is running a “passive sales process” for Liverpool, according to a source close to the situation.

That means Henry is privately entertaining offers in an informal process that’s outside of an official auction — and is looking for a price well north of $2 billion, the source added.

“It’s for sale if he can get the right price,” the source close to the situation said.

Two other sources also said Liverpool is essentially for sale.

Reps for Henry, who bought Liverpool for $477 million in 2010, didn’t respond to calls for comment.

Despite the World Series victory, the Red Sox lost money this season, according to sources with direct knowledge of the team’s finances.

The Red Sox in 2018 had the highest payroll in baseball — about $238 million, sources told The Post on Thursday. The stratospheric payroll in turn triggered a “luxury tax” worth about $20 million that has helped exacerbate the team’s losses, sources said.

It couldn’t immediately be learned whether there was a direct connection between selling Liverpool and funding Red Sox losses.

Red Sox President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski told The Post earlier Thursday, “We will never complain about finances. We have generous owners.”

Liverpool was recently given a $1.9 billion valuation by Forbes. In August, however, the Daily Mail reported that Sheik Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahayan, whose family governs Abu Dhabi, made an unsuccessful approach to buy Liverpool in late 2017 and into early 2018 with a Chinese partner.

That bid, which a source said fell apart because the Chinese bidders couldn’t cobble together sufficient financing, was said to be worth $2.6 billion, according to the report.

Reps for Fenway Sports Group — Henry’s holding company, which owns the Red Sox and Liverpool FC, as well as 80 percent of the New England Sports Network and 50 percent of Roush Fenway Racing — denied in August that Liverpool was for sale.

But that’s clearly not the case now, said sources briefed on the situation.

“This is not fake news” that Henry is willing to sell Liverpool, a London sports investment banker following the situation said, although he added that he doubts a sale will happen soon.

Fenway Sports Group did not return calls.

Investors in Henry’s FSG holding company include the NBA superstar LeBron James, who reportedly owns a 2 percent stake.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Allez les rouges - we ain't never gonna stop..
Another sports franchise up for grabs...this fills me with gloom..which bunch of Arab oil magnates or Chinese tyoons is it going to be? We are all being marginalised and monetised by the impersonal corporate entities who use football as an investment vehicle. And that may well include FSG if the reports are true. I can't be he only one on here with a nasty taste in my mouth.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Urghh... I love the term 'sports franchise'...

So, will the new buyer be a Russian oligarch, a filthy-rich sheikh, a gulf state, a Chinese state-supported mega-company, or another big american corporation? The bets are open... :rolleyes:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Liverpool owners in shock news...

‘Willing to listen to offers making them around 1 .7 billion dollars shock’

You heard it here first.

Get used to it lads.....

Who’s not ‘willing to listen to offers ‘ of making a 400% return?

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Said it all along. FSG have been great owners. Better the devil you know. We’d all love owners with bottomless pockets who love the game and want nothing but success. Pretty much like FSG are with their rounders team. Crazy money from an oppresive totalatarian regime would be a different matter. Winning at all and any costs?

Could we all offer to chip £200 in? All 10 million of us?

Didn’t think so.......

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Said it all along. FSG have been great owners. Better the devil you know. We’d all love owners with bottomless pockets who love the game and want nothing but success. Pretty much like FSG are with their rounders team. Crazy money from an oppresive totalatarian regime would be a different matter. Winning at all and any costs?

Could we all offer to chip £200 in? All 10 million of us?

Didn’t think so.......
It’s not for you to decide now is it? After all, we are just the consumer and they are the owners of the club. Can do whatever the fuck they want and sell it to whoever that meet their profit margin.

ptt

It’s not for you to decide now is it? After all, we are just the consumer and they are the owners of the club. Can do whatever the fuck they want and sell it to whoever that meet their profit margin.
A point I’ve made many, many times. We have no say in the matter. Correctly so as although we’re all fans, we don’t own the club.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
A point I’ve made many, many times. We have no say in the matter. Correctly so as although we’re all fans, we don’t own the club.
Which is also a point I have been advocating together with @Hope in your heart to open up a percentage of the club to be owned by the supporters. Like millions of people owning Google and Apple stocks, you don’t run the company, same can be done with the club. But when sale of the club took place, you have a minority watchdog rep to look after your affairs.

ptt

Which is also a point I have been advocating together with Hope to open up a percentage of the club to be owned by the supporters. Like millions of people owning Google and Apple stocks, you don’t run the company, same can be done with the club. But when sale of the club took place, you have a minority watchdog rep to look after your affairs.
Won’t happen and you can’t (as you said) have any say in the matter. Well you can but it’s meaningless.

Unless you have access to a serious amount of cash...... Can’t be many people (just from their own personal fortune) who could stump up £2bn for a straight purchase.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
How many times has the club been ‘on the market’ over the past decade or so? I’m not aware that we’ve been exactly inundated with viable offers. That’s why a sale, if it happens, will be carried out ‘quietly’. They’re probably just putting it out there that if a sensible offer from a viable buyer comes along they will seriously consider it. I wouldn’t mind betting that that situation applies to the majority of clubs.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Won’t happen and you can’t (as you said) have any say in the matter. Well you can but it’s meaningless.

Unless you have access to a serious amount of cash...... Can’t be many people (just from their own personal fortune) who could stump up £2bn for a straight purchase.
That ship has sailed long ago. There was a chance before Moores decided to sell up. He himself said he'd have been open to the idea. Then, when g+h did their best to ruin the club, there was another chance, but RBS wouldn't entertain that idea and sold the club to fsg who made great business for themselves by acquiring an undervalued asset.

Now, as you say, the fans stumping up 2 billions is totally irrealistic and of course won't happen. But think about it: had we supporters had the idea and vision to buy the club from Moores at the time (what was the selling price already? 150 millions maybe?) then we'd all have made great business, and the club would be free of any danger of getting into the claws of potential leeches like g+h. Hindsight of course, I know.

As it is, fsg will have made a hell of a good business for themselves if they manage to sell the club for that kind of money, above all profiting from the insane TV-money windfall in the last decade. But there is absolutely no guarantee that the club will profit in any way, shape or form from a sale to the most offering party.

Kopstar

★★★★★
But think about it: had the supporters had the idea and vision to buy the club from Moores at the time (what was the selling price already? 150 millions maybe?) then we'd all have made a hell of a good business, and the club would be free of any danger of getting into the claws of potential leeches like g+h..
No guarantee of that at all. Who makes the decisions under fan ownership? What are their credentials? There's plenty of passion but little acumen within SOS, for example.

Hope in your heart

Admin
No guarantee of that at all. Who makes the decisions under fan ownership? What are their credentials? There's plenty of passion but little acumen within SOS, for example.
The TV-money windfall in itself would have increased the club's value, even if the club was badly managed. For the structural part about the decision-making, there are enough good examples to look at, Bayern for instance.

But I won't get into that discussion again, as it would only be flogging a dead horse. In current circumstances, there's no way for the fans to acquire even a tiny part of the club. And probably, there is no willingness either to do this. Neither from the current owners nor from the fans themselves. Too expensive is the key word here.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
I think the Washington Post article is pretty much a "nothing" story, not worth getting agitated over.

It lacks credibility, relying entirely on anonymous sources:
"according to a source close to the situation", "Two other sources", "sources briefed on the situation" & "a London sports investment banker";
and its author cannot even get his basic facts right, claiming that Henry purchased Liverpool for $477 in 2010, when in actual fact FSG paid $368 million (£230.351 million) in 2010.

Is Liverpool for sale? In common with each and every other asset in the world, it probably is "for sale", at the right price.

If you want to buy it, all you have to do is name the right price, and come up with the readies, but, so far no-one has.

ptt

That ship has sailed long ago. There was a chance before Moores decided to sell up. He himself said he'd have been open to the idea. Then, when g+h did their best to ruin the club, there was another chance, but RBS wouldn't entertain that idea and sold the club to fsg who made great business for themselves by acquiring an undervalued asset.

Now, as you say, the fans stumping up 2 billions is totally irrealistic and of course won't happen. But think about it: had we supporters had the idea and vision to buy the club from Moores at the time (what was the selling price already? 150 millions maybe?) then we'd all have made great business, and the club would be free of any danger of getting into the claws of potential leeches like g+h. Hindsight of course, I know.

As it is, fsg will have made a hell of a good business for themselves if they manage to sell the club for that kind of money, above all profiting from the insane TV-money windfall in the last decade. But there is absolutely no guarantee that the club will profit in any way, shape or form from a sale to the most offering party.
We only stand to gain if a benevolent fan takes over who’s happy to spend. Otherwise we’re a show pony, a glittering gem for somebody to show off.

Imagine the fans had bought the club. Think anybody would have invested to redevelop the stadium?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Everything has a price - everything can be for sale. E.g My car is not for sale, but if you turn up with enough cash I will sell it. Same as my house, my trainers, and my arsehole.

Click baiting at its best - will help bring out the same usual arguments for and against the owners.

Mods you could just delete 50 pages of this thread and adjust the dates on the remaining posts and no one would be any wiser.

ptt

Everything has a price - everything can be for sale. E.g My car is not for sale, but if you turn up with enough cash I will sell it. Same as my house, my trainers, and my arsehole.

Click baiting at its best - will help bring out the same usual arguments for and against the owners.

Mods you could just delete 50 pages of this thread and adjust the dates on the remaining posts and no one would be any wiser.
I’ve mentioned this so many times, everything is for sale (except my family).

Bonus

TIA New Signing
seems a strange time to want to sell the club, passively or not,
if this European super league happens, as reported only last week
then I would like to think more money would be coming into the club, increasing the value of it.

this is the reason that the clubs involved in the ESL want the league, is it not?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think the Washington Post article is pretty much a "nothing" story, not worth getting agitated over.

"according to a source close to the situation", "Two other sources", "sources briefed on the situation" & "a London sports investment banker";
and its author cannot even get his basic facts right, claiming that Henry purchased Liverpool for $477 in 2010, when in actual fact FSG paid $368 million (£230.351 million) in 2010.

Is Liverpool for sale? In common with each and every other asset in the world, it probably is "for sale", at the right price.

If you want to buy it, all you have to do is name the right price, and come up with the readies, but, so far no-one has.
I hope so. If the club ended up a front for the Saudi Arabian Royal Family, that would be the end for road for me and LFC.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

Important to note that it is the New York Post, not the Washington Post. The Washington Post is one of the two most important and credible newspapers in America. The New York Post is designed to be read and left on the subway.