• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Owners

Red over the water

It’ll be interesting to see how it all evolves, but I like the last sentence (Kopstar post) about the club bonus pool for success on the pitch over the season.

I’m not a full blown Shanks, but if they don’t all get a share of the rewards presumably there will be other clubs who will like the look of what we are doing at Liverpool, who will try to poach them.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Good article in the Times today about the profitability of English football clubs. We are second highest at £106m although I suspect the Countinho sale is distorting that massively ly. Shocking to see how many clubs lose money though. Can’t be sustainable forever.

gr_sounder

The fact that one of them is focused not on finding player value or the like, but entirely on developing the next-gen analytical model, shows that Henry is all over it.
Exactly. These are the "type" of people I work with on an everyday basis... and I have to be honest, if I was these models for Liverpool or a team in general, I believe I would be a kid in a candy shop and love being at work every day.

And lets be honest, if Henry and Liverpool can bring these guys in for 150,000$US or equivalent in pounds, it's not that much money.
Even if the club spent $1M (US) on these guys and their toys, it's still less than half the money Markovic got from the club for wages last year. (wow that's sad).

Limiescouse

Exactly. These are the "type" of people I work with on an everyday basis... and I have to be honest, if I was these models for Liverpool or a team in general, I believe I would be a kid in a candy shop and love being at work every day.

And lets be honest, if Henry and Liverpool can bring these guys in for 150,000$US or equivalent in pounds, it's not that much money.
Even if the club spent $1M (US) on these guys and their toys, it's still less than half the money Markovic got from the club for wages last year. (wow that's sad).
Exactly, to @Red over the water question. Unless these guys were to use their science chops to advance to an executive level (Sergey Brin) or start their own hedge fund, then their market value is still going to be extremely cheap for the value they bring if they get it right.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

One of the sentences that jumped out at me was:

Later, Klopp learned that without Graham’s analysis of that season, which was only one aspect of as thorough an investigative process as any soccer club had undertaken to replace a manager, he never would have been hired. “The department there in the back of the building?” he said recently, referring to Graham and his staff. “They’re the reason I’m here.”

It sounds like there were real questions around Klopp's last season, and Graham's analysis simply pushed them aside - so even before the analysis was identifying more accurate 'values' for players, it did that for the manager. Money well spent for me.

I would be awfully curious to find out if they had a hand in picking out Robertson, in particular. My guess we won't know for years, until after one or more has moved on and possibly a book or two has been written.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Perhaps it was all a misunderstanding. As I recall, Klopp was destroying morale...

Just look at the wake of devastation we left in the CL - including Man City and Roma.
Exactly. And that's all which needs to be said on the topic. Everything else is just petty point-scoring.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Hadn't realised Fallows and Hunter were still at the club. Thought they had left as part of the fall out from Brendan's days at the club. Really shows what impact he and Ayres must have had on that committee.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Hadn't realised Fallows and Hunter were still at the club. Thought they had left as part of the fall out from Brendan's days at the club. Really shows what impact he and Ayres must have had on that committee.
Yeah, there have been some changes on the recruitment side (our Iberian set up for example) but Fallows and Hunter have remained integral. At least one of them may be thinking of moving though as there's nothing really they can be promoted into. Hunter, particularly, may fancy a more senior role.

Wouldn’t be a disaster though. The structure that they've helped establish would help to mitigate any negative impact that someone senior leaving may otherwise have. Providing that if anyone left it wasn't en masse, of course.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Major appreciation to Mr Henry and Werner who made this happen, buying the club, hiring Klopp, being savvy enough to compete in a wildly fucked up transfer market. They delivered on the promise they made when they came in, and that means so much, and tells us both the Club and its owners have a perfect partnership. Stand out top class businessmen. For a stand out top class club. We'll soon be back on our perch fully when we take the league from Citoil next season. YNWA

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
The last American owners we had tarnished my hopes with the current lot when they eventually took over.
I was sceptical.
Funnily enough, I remember the actor from Bigfoot and the Henderson’s saying that the owners will bring the good times back and for some reason I believed him. He was right!
The owners run things like they believe you reap what you sow.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Hats off for FSG.
9 years ago they bought the club when it was on the brink of bankruptcy. They have expanded Anfield, made us competitive, and brought us back to being one of the elute clubs in the world.
Their were mistakes, and a few bumps on the way, but by and large they did so with respect to the club history and its fans, working within set limits, and not taking any short cuts or losing patience.

Thank you FSG

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Just imagine we have owners like Man City or PSG who made it all about them, interfering in every single thing, treating the club as a toy. FSG is business but that does not mean they do not respect Liverpool for what it means to the fans around the world.

Hope in your heart

Admin
I must say that I've had my fair share of scepticism regarding their ownership over the years. Especially after their mistakes in the first years of their tenure, and when it became obvious that they hadn't the slightest idea about football initially. The only thing which made me optimistic was JW Henry saying that their aim was the long term, and that they were never thinking in terms of short term. That set them instantly apart from destructive owners like g+h. They looked like they had a honest intent to improve us, but some reservations about how they handled the club initially were legitimate in my opinion, as they looked out of their depth on several occasions.

With hindsight though, they have proven to be excellent club owners, maybe even the best we could have wished for given the situation when they came in. One by one, they addressed the problems which were so obvious since such a long time, but apparently so hard to settle. It took them a long time to get some problematic issues right, but they learnt from their mistakes, never repeated them, and finally addressed them in time. Bringing in Klopp was a masterpiece of course, but even Klopp couldn't have addressed the major problems this club has had to contend with since decades, thanks to the idiots previously owning our club who had left us hopelessly behind, in terms of competitiveness when compared with the top clubs. Klopp is no doubt the major piece in the puzzle, but he can count on a very efficient and competent array of people around him, thanks to FSG's work previously to appointing him, and then to them backing him entirely since he's been here.

We have now a very well organised decisional system at the club with a top CEO managing things at the upper level. We have a top top manager at the helm, a top coaching and medical team, a top scouting system, top revenues (with a lot of potential for more), Anfield has been expanded with a magnificent new main stand, and the perennial Kirkby-Melwood problem is about to be resolved by building a new state-of-the-art training complex.

And the best is that all this has been accomplished by using the club's own financial potential. We aren't in a state of being entirely dependent from the largesses of an oil-sheikh like other big clubs. FSG have merely improved the situation by developing the club's own economic potential, and are reaping the rewards now.

Of course, this brilliant situation can be destroyed within the blink of an eye, for instance if they decide to sell the club to the wrong person/group of people. But given that they have proven to be very prudent and diligent in the way they do things, it's not out of the question that they might get their succession-planning right too. For the time being, I don't think that they will want to sell anyway. Their development work isn't finished yet by any means, nor is Klopp's, and if they continue to back him like they have done, they could have some really enjoyable years in front of them, alongside us all!

Btw, I enjoyed seeing the little scene when Hendo lifted the trophy after the game: JW Henry stood a bit apart from the squad, all other officials had left the podium. He was looking at them all, enjoying their joy, and then his arms went automatically up at the same time as Hendo's when he lifted Big Ears into the air. It was his moment too, and deservedly so.

So, as a bottom-line: thank you FSG for your dedicated, diligent and professional work over the years, and please, continue your path with us, in the same spirit, for many years to come! :cheers:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I must say that I've had my fair share of scepticism regarding their ownership over the years. Especially after their mistakes in the first years of their tenure, and when it became obvious that they hadn't the slightest idea about football initially. The only thing which made me optimistic was JW Henry saying that their aim was the long term, and that they were never thinking in terms of short term. That set them instantly apart from destructive owners like g+h. They looked like they had a honest intent to improve us, but some reservations about how they handled the club initially were legitimate in my opinion, as they looked out of their depth on several occasions.

With hindsight though, they have proven to be excellent club owners, maybe even the best we could have wished for given the situation when they came in. One by one, they addressed the problems which were so obvious since such a long time, but apparently so hard to settle. It took them a long time to get some problematic issues right, but they learnt from their mistakes, never repeated them, and finally addressed them in time. Bringing in Klopp was a masterpiece of course, but even Klopp couldn't have addressed the major problems this club has had to contend with since decades, thanks to the idiots previously owning our club who had left us hopelessly behind, in terms of competitiveness when compared with the top clubs. Klopp is no doubt the major piece in the puzzle, but he can count on a very efficient and competent array of people around him, thanks to FSG's work previously to appointing him, and then to them backing him entirely since he's been here.

We have now a very well organised decisional system at the club with a top CEO managing things at the upper level. We have a top top manager at the helm, a top coaching and medical team, a top scouting system, top revenues (with a lot of potential for more), Anfield has been expanded with a magnificent new main stand, and the perennial Kirkby-Melwood problem is about to be resolved by building a new state-of-the-art training complex.

And the best is that all this has been accomplished by using the club's own financial potential. We aren't in a state of being entirely dependent from the largesses of an oil-sheikh like other big clubs. FSG have merely improved the situation by developing the club's own economic potential, and are reaping the rewards now.

Of course, this brilliant situation can be destroyed within the blink of an eye, for instance if they decide to sell the club to the wrong person/group of people. But given that they have proven to be very prudent and diligent in the way they do things, it's not out of the question that they might get their succession-planning right too. For the time being, I don't think that they will want to sell anyway. Their development work isn't finished yet by any means, nor is Klopp's, and if they continue to back him like they have done, they could have some really enjoyable years in front of them, alongside us all!

Btw, I enjoyed seeing the little scene when Hendo lifted the trophy after the game: JW Henry stood a bit apart from the squad, all other officials had left the podium. He was looking at them all, enjoying their joy, and then his arms went automatically up at the same time as Hendo's when he lifted Big Ears into the air. It was his moment too, and deservedly so.

So, as a bottom-line: thank you FSG for your dedicated, diligent and professional work over the years, and please, continue your path with us, in the same spirit, for many years to come! :cheers:
They have provided stability and the importance of that cannot be over-estimated given what went before but appointing Klopp was the game changer for them. Not only has he made us successful, he is a marketing dream who fits perfectly with this club. He has basically created a modern version of Shanklyism. There is no need for us to wallow in nostalgia watching grainy videos of the days when the manager, the team and the supporters were completely at one because those days are here now. Who as a young lad looking for a team to support, regardless of where you are in the world, wouldn't want to be part of this?

There were probably even more people on the streets of Liverpool when we won the CL in 2005 but we didn't fully capitialise on that moment and we can not allow it to slip again. The commercial growth has been steady if unspectacular since they took ownership but I'm inclined to give them a pass on that given that before Saturday we'd won fuck all of note up until that point. It's different now. The dam has burst on winning and we've won the best thing we can win if we want to increase the global fanbase and commercial opportunities. With United in a slump and City having an image problem there is a massive opportunity here to set the club up as the major global player for years to come. This is now FSG's time and when all that commercial savviness needs to come to the fore.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
There were probably even more people on the streets of Liverpool when we won the CL in 2005 but we didn't fully capitialise on that moment and we can not allow it to slip again. The commercial growth has been steady if unspectacular since they took ownership but I'm inclined to give them a pass on that given that before Saturday we'd won fuck all of note up until that point. It's different now. The dam has burst on winning and we've won the best thing we can win if we want to increase the global fanbase and commercial opportunities. With United in a slump and City having an image problem there is a massive opportunity here to set the club up as the major global player for years to come. This is now FSG's time and when all that commercial savviness needs to come to the fore.
I’m pretty sure the club will have had the shop open :)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
They have provided stability and the importance of that cannot be over-estimated given what went before but appointing Klopp was the game changer for them. Not only has he made us successful, he is a marketing dream who fits perfectly with this club. He has basically created a modern version of Shanklyism. There is no need for us to wallow in nostalgia watching grainy videos of the days when the manager, the team and the supporters were completely at one because those days are here now. Who as a young lad looking for a team to support, regardless of where you are in the world, wouldn't want to be part of this?

I don't think the number of fans watching the parade was higher in 2005, or least I would be very surprised if that was the case as I haven't seen any figures for 2005. This year there were reportedly 750k. To put that into perspective - Liverpool's population is only 500k.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

Hope in your heart

Admin

I'm sure that FSG are fully aware of that. The main sponsorship with SC has been renewed in 2018, but the renewal of the kit deal with NB is in negotiation, just at the ideal moment. The club have now a golden chance to ram this home and take the maximum, whether it's from NB or someone else. I'd be seriously stunned if the club don't conclude a new world record kit deal soon.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Up until a few years ago I never imagined me saying this but they have really proven themselves to be close to ideal owners. They have solved long-standing issues with the stadium and Melwood, they have recruited the best and backed them to the hilt, they have modernized and improved the commercial operation, in short they have transformed the club while staying in the background.

What more could someone ask?

gr_sounder

I have long been supporters of our current owners... even int he days when they were buying the club from dumb and dumber.
I could talk about them for a long time, and how they have built teams the proper way, and with good business sense, and put good foundations for future successes and not being in it for short term gains.... but I won't now... I've done it in the past and others are now doing it as we've made it back to the highest upper echelon of European and English football.

What I want to know is.... is Linda or John your favorite owner. hahaha

KYRed18

lollol
I have long been supporters of our current owners... even int he days when they were buying the club from dumb and dumber.
I could talk about them for a long time, and how they have built teams the proper way, and with good business sense, and put good foundations for future successes and not being in it for short term gains.... but I won't now... I've done it in the past and others are now doing it as we've made it back to the highest upper echelon of European and English football.

What I want to know is.... is Linda or John your favorite owner. hahaha
Linda by a mile
lollol