The Owners

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Cigarette advertising has been banned.
Which is my point. It’s up to the powers that be to deem gambling, alcohol, pay day loans as bad - not the owners.
I disagree

Just as you are asking individuals to self regulate I personally think our club could self regulate.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I disagree

Just as you are asking individuals to self regulate I personally think our club could self regulate.
Only up to a certain point - its a level rather than black or white - but gambling, pay day loans, alcohol - nothing wrong with them as they bring joy or support to millions too.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Only up to a certain point - its a level rather than black or white - but gambling, pay day loans, alcohol - nothing wrong with them as they bring joy or support to millions too.
I've worked in the gambling industry - it destroys lives.

In lower socio economic areas pokie machines can be brutal........also if your reference to the joy and support is the money it gives to community support etc - most of this is driven by governing law - i.e they have to - and the representative money they are giving vs that they take is extremely small.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Booze destroys more lives and costs the government more than gambling so not sure why us being sponsored by a betting company is getting peoples backs up but an ale company would be fine ha

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Club have to ban gambling joint from giving us money as it destroy lives, players have to distance themselves from sponsorship coming out of oil companies that destroy the environment. What next?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I have massive issues with the amount of gambling advertisements during a football match.

I make small bets of about 50p which probably add up to a tenner a week, I won't win much if that tenner goes in the month I won't put anymore on.

I do agree Credit Unions are good.

redbj

not sure why you are so offended?

Gambling and alcohol destroy lives, I’d much prefer we didn’t deal with either.

Exxon I probably don’t need to go into, but yeah, not sure I really like the idea that someone on 200k plus a week playing for a working class club thinks it’s a great idea to be an ambassador for an oil company.

Finance can destroy lives but I accept at some point I’m just being nit picky.

Happy for you guys to feel it’s fine, I don’t begrudge you your opinion, I just don’t happen to agree with it.

It’s not really a debate in the making, it’s an opinion.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I've worked in the gambling industry - it destroys lives.

In lower socio economic areas pokie machines can be brutal........also if your reference to the joy and support is the money it gives to community support etc - most of this is driven by governing law - i.e they have to - and the representative money they are giving vs that they take is extremely small.
The joy and support I am talking about is the odd small bets I make (within my limits) adds to the interest in matches. The support about Pay Day loans are when someone is a bit tight and needs a little to see them over - eg an emergency with the car or something at home, then some cash can go along way. Just pay it back quickly. Be disciplined. There must be more people like that, then those that get addicted to gambling, or get screwed my pay day loans.

As I said, its about the individual and self discipline. This is the world we live in.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
As I said, its about the individual and self discipline. This is the world we live in.
This! I am still not sure why people suddenly getting so offended with who the club and players associate them with these days. The club chose to take money from these companies, and we chose to support them as a fan. So......

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I disagree.

Earlier in this thread, posts set out some of the tactics employed by betting companies to further lure already addicted people.

These companies are not merely providing a service that people can freely choose whether to take part in or not. They also employ a complicated combination of psychology, persuasion, beaurocracy and obfuscation to prey on the weak and the vulnerable. This creates social damage that the rest of us have to clean up.

We have to decide whether we want to be a society that takes care of the most vulnerable of us, or whether our response is ‘fuck ‘em’.

A lot of people enjoy a little flutter, and there is no harm in that. But the gambling industry must be heavily regulated to prevent it from exploiting people who have lost their judgement and reason to addiction, and that includes restricting their ability to market and advertise themselves.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Club have to ban gambling joint from giving us money as it destroy lives, players have to distance themselves from sponsorship coming out of oil companies that destroy the environment. What next?
Fully automated luxury communism!

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I disagree.

Earlier in this thread, posts set out some of the tactics employed by betting companies to further lure already addicted people.

These companies are not merely providing a service that people can freely choose whether to take part in or not. They also employ a complicated combination of psychology, persuasion, beaurocracy and obfuscation to prey on the weak and the vulnerable. This creates social damage that the rest of us have to clean up.

We have to decide whether we want to be a society that takes care of the most vulnerable of us, or whether our response is ‘fuck ‘em’.

A lot of people enjoy a little flutter, and there is no harm in that. But the gambling industry must be heavily regulated to prevent it from exploiting people who have lost their judgement and reason to addiction, and that includes restricting their ability to market and advertise themselves.
I saw a really fat guy buying cakes in Tesco earlier, should they be regulated? If a person smokes 80 a day, should they be regulated? Who defines the regulation? Who sets the standards?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Hmmmm increases of £1.3b in value from 2015-2019. I wonder who’s the man in charge of the team at the time....
I just knew you were going to be interested in this Eddie since you are better at running a business than me. I am thinking wow, our club are doing fantastically well .:)

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I just knew you were going to be interested in this Eddie since yiunare better at running a business than me. I am thinking wow, our club are doing fantastically well .
Didn’t shy away praising the owners for hiring Klopp. That’s the one thing they’ve done right and it has given us a very good journey till now. My only hope is they don’t fuck it up after Klopp bid farewell to the club in 3 years time.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Didn’t shy away praising the owners for hiring Klopp. That’s the one thing they’ve done right and it has given us a very good journey till now. My only hope is they don’t fuck it up after Klopp bid farewell to the club in 3 years time.
I would say 'best thing they've done'. Klopp's appointment has transformed the entire club, not just made it successful but so much more marketable. There's an interview with Billy Hogan, the chief commercial officer in Forbes today. Doesn't say much but this is where the focus needs to be now. Over the next couple of years I'd expect our revenue to grow substantially on the back of the success Klopp is bringing us. We're a licence to print money right now and we should be aiming to overtake United off the pitch, just as we've done on the pitch.

redbj

I saw a really fat guy buying cakes in Tesco earlier, should they be regulated? If a person smokes 80 a day, should they be regulated? Who defines the regulation? Who sets the standards?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ok.

Can I ask you three straight questions. Yes or no, ( with a brief line if you please, but a direct answer to the question)

Do you think gambling companies, especially online ones, are ethically run businesses?

Are you comfortable with Liverpool football club being associated with gambling companies

Because there is no regulation ( self regulated or otherwise, the type of regulation is not the issue), how will you feel when you sit down and watch a game of football with your infant child and he/she starts singing the advertising jingle/slogan of that betting company? Will you be totally comfortable with that occurrence?

fspencer

Ok.

Can I ask you three straight questions. Yes or no, ( with a brief line if you please, but a direct answer to the question)

Do you think gambling companies, especially online ones, are ethically run businesses?

Are you comfortable with Liverpool football club being associated with gambling companies

Because there is no regulation ( self regulated or otherwise, the type of regulation is not the issue), how will you feel when you sit down and watch a game of football with your infant child and he/she starts singing the advertising jingle/slogan of that betting company? Will you be totally comfortable with that occurrence?
what about donuts ? they are unhealthy but we tied up with those .

I watch horse racing with my little girl and there is loads of adverts for gambling . The races are sponsored by gambling businesses .

She doesn't say " when i grow up i am going to gamble " she says " I wanna ride a horse "

redbj

what about donuts ? they are unhealthy but we tied up with those .

I watch horse racing with my little girl and there is loads of adverts for gambling . The races are sponsored by gambling businesses .

She doesn't say " when i grow up i am going to gamble " she says " I wanna ride a horse "
Very valid points, in truth I don’t know where I ( remember I’m just talking about my opinion, I understand it’s not unanimous) draw the line, buts somewhere after donuts, but before gambling.

I understand that could be viewed as slightly contradictory, but let’s face it, there’s a fair bit of daylight between donuts and encouraging people to lose their savings.

Regarding the horse racing, I think I actually agree with your tactic, I talk openly about gambling with my kids whenever I see one of their ‘funny’ adds, showing wide eyed winners in elation. Hopefully the saturation advertising has a reverse effect, and the people growing up with it as being the intended end targets, see through the farce before it gets to them.

Either way, I still wish our club wasn’t sponsored by a gambling company.

fspencer

Very valid points, in truth I don’t know where I ( remember I’m just talking about my opinion, I understand it’s not unanimous) draw the line, buts somewhere after donuts, but before gambling.

I understand that could be viewed as slightly contradictory, but let’s face it, there’s a fair bit of daylight between donuts and encouraging people to lose their savings.

Regarding the horse racing, I think I actually agree with your tactic, I talk openly about gambling with my kids whenever I see one of their ‘funny’ adds, showing wide eyed winners in elation. Hopefully the saturation advertising has a reverse effect, and the people growing up with it as being the intended end targets, see through the farce before it gets to them.

Either way, I still wish our club wasn’t sponsored by a gambling company.
IF you take the point you made about infants, donuts. would be a bigger issue at a young age .

It;s becoming harder for certain countries to gamble online . In the UK things are becoming more stringent . William Hill are making thousands redundant due to the maximum stake on FOBT ( fixed odds betting terminals ) being lowered to £2 from i believe £100 . The gambling commission have brought in a lot more responsible gambling / gaming laws ( time outs , irreversible withdrawals , deposit limits and Source of wealth checks . ID verification checks ).

I have to agree that (and i think this is part of your beliefs ) people will be more tempted to gamble with a company aligned with the club on the basis that " the club wouldn't align themselves with anything dodgy" .

we;d be better off not being associated with gambling .

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Ok.

Point 1, to be honest, I don’t care. Whether a buisness is ethically run or not is down to the individual’s concept of ethics. For example, I’m guessing that a vegan would consider a slaughter houses’ ethics to be reprehensible whilst I’ll put a little mustard on the steak. Gambling companies advertise their services widely, I have no problem with that and personally don’t consider them to be un-ethical. I like Vegas, all you need to know.

Point 2, perfectly. As a retort, would you rather we were associated with an oil company that’s directly killed millions of birds? Or Hotpoint (dryers) or Boeing (737max) etc

Last one, Accrington Stanley. If you know the reference, you know I had an unhealthy addiction to milk ;) Kids pick up on adverts and jingles but have been doing so for many many years. My daughter can’t legally gamble till she’s 18 but had had a bet on The Grand National every year since she’s been born. She’s also driven a car, tried alcohol and bought fireworks (in a different shop for those with a long memory). She’s not tried smoking (that I know of) as it’s clearly a quick way to die young. Expose your kids to everything in a reasonably controlled environment then when they’re off the leash, they might not go as crazy as we did when we were 14.

I’ve a few friends who hold Disney to be the second coming of the anti-christ. Jnr singing a Disney song is to them, morally bankrupt. See what I mean about ethics?