• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Owners

igor_piss_can

I fully agree with you when you mentioned Credit Unions. I have not used one myself, but I have been reliably informed they are a good way of getting a low cost loan.
One of the best things about them is the piece of mind knowing that any interest you pay isn't going into the arse pocket of multi-millionaire banker

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Yeah, but I also see these loan companies in the same light as the gambling companies. Getting a loan or gambling, I see both as a hardship to people who are in most cases struggling to make ends meet. A gambler may start off with money in his/her pocket and have a decent working wage coming in, but there are no winners in gambling, other than the companies, and it's soon that gamblers are looking to loan companies, to get money and allow them to keep gambling. It's a vicious circle all round and the root cause of it all is MONEY -- or should I say lack of it.
My rule of thumb is, if you don't work or exert any effort for the money, it is wrong. Loan givers literally make money out of thin air, and as you put it, they make money out of people's hardship, so they are in the same category as gambling for me.

Last edited:

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
My rule of thumb is, if you don't work or exert any effort for the money, it is wrong. Loan givers literally makes money out of thin air, and as you put it, makes money out of people's hardship, so they are in the same category as gambling for me.
Totally agree with you, mate. It's a sad world for some.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
My name is John Henry and I am a loans advising owner who is offering very favourable rates. I don't wish to come across as too aggressive in my approach to advertising my company 'IN THE RED', but we are in business to serve.
:well done: lol:well done:lol:well done:lol

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Gambling, alcohol, pay day loans, cars etc - isn’t it up to each individual to be responsible for their own choices - and to moderate themselves and even regulate themselves.

I love a beer pre and post match, a little flutter - and I like fast cars - but do it all responsibly.

Isn’t this what we should teach our children, and even friends and family, if and when they lose their way?

Going all moral on the ethics of advertisers isn’t really issue of the owners - they are running a football club and we need to compete at the top end of the market.

Sadly it’s the commercial world - without that we wouldn’t have vvd and Alison, and hence no 6th cup.

First of all regulate ourselves, then change the ethics of the world - like what has happened to cigarettes.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Gambling, alcohol, pay day loans, cars etc - isn’t it up to each individual to be responsible for their own choices - and to moderate themselves and even regulate themselves.

I love a beer pre and post match, a little flutter - and I like fast cars - but do it all responsibly.

Isn’t this what we should teach our children, and even friends and family, if and when they lose their way?

Going all moral on the ethics of advertisers isn’t really issue of the owners - they are running a football club and we need to compete at the top end of the market.

Sadly it’s the commercial world - without that we wouldn’t have vvd and Alison, and hence no 6th cup.

First of all regulate ourselves, then change the ethics of the world - like what has happened to cigarettes.
Cigarette advertising has been banned.

redbj

Cigarette advertising has been banned.
Which is my point. It’s up to the powers that be to deem gambling, alcohol, pay day loans as bad - not the owners.
I disagree

Just as you are asking individuals to self regulate I personally think our club could self regulate.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I disagree

Just as you are asking individuals to self regulate I personally think our club could self regulate.
Only up to a certain point - its a level rather than black or white - but gambling, pay day loans, alcohol - nothing wrong with them as they bring joy or support to millions too.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Only up to a certain point - its a level rather than black or white - but gambling, pay day loans, alcohol - nothing wrong with them as they bring joy or support to millions too.
I've worked in the gambling industry - it destroys lives.

In lower socio economic areas pokie machines can be brutal........also if your reference to the joy and support is the money it gives to community support etc - most of this is driven by governing law - i.e they have to - and the representative money they are giving vs that they take is extremely small.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Booze destroys more lives and costs the government more than gambling so not sure why us being sponsored by a betting company is getting peoples backs up but an ale company would be fine ha

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Club have to ban gambling joint from giving us money as it destroy lives, players have to distance themselves from sponsorship coming out of oil companies that destroy the environment. What next?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I have massive issues with the amount of gambling advertisements during a football match.

I make small bets of about 50p which probably add up to a tenner a week, I won't win much if that tenner goes in the month I won't put anymore on.

I do agree Credit Unions are good.

redbj

not sure why you are so offended?

Gambling and alcohol destroy lives, I’d much prefer we didn’t deal with either.

Exxon I probably don’t need to go into, but yeah, not sure I really like the idea that someone on 200k plus a week playing for a working class club thinks it’s a great idea to be an ambassador for an oil company.

Finance can destroy lives but I accept at some point I’m just being nit picky.

Happy for you guys to feel it’s fine, I don’t begrudge you your opinion, I just don’t happen to agree with it.

It’s not really a debate in the making, it’s an opinion.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I've worked in the gambling industry - it destroys lives.

In lower socio economic areas pokie machines can be brutal........also if your reference to the joy and support is the money it gives to community support etc - most of this is driven by governing law - i.e they have to - and the representative money they are giving vs that they take is extremely small.
The joy and support I am talking about is the odd small bets I make (within my limits) adds to the interest in matches. The support about Pay Day loans are when someone is a bit tight and needs a little to see them over - eg an emergency with the car or something at home, then some cash can go along way. Just pay it back quickly. Be disciplined. There must be more people like that, then those that get addicted to gambling, or get screwed my pay day loans.

As I said, its about the individual and self discipline. This is the world we live in.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
As I said, its about the individual and self discipline. This is the world we live in.
This! I am still not sure why people suddenly getting so offended with who the club and players associate them with these days. The club chose to take money from these companies, and we chose to support them as a fan. So......

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I disagree.

Earlier in this thread, posts set out some of the tactics employed by betting companies to further lure already addicted people.

These companies are not merely providing a service that people can freely choose whether to take part in or not. They also employ a complicated combination of psychology, persuasion, beaurocracy and obfuscation to prey on the weak and the vulnerable. This creates social damage that the rest of us have to clean up.

We have to decide whether we want to be a society that takes care of the most vulnerable of us, or whether our response is ‘fuck ‘em’.

A lot of people enjoy a little flutter, and there is no harm in that. But the gambling industry must be heavily regulated to prevent it from exploiting people who have lost their judgement and reason to addiction, and that includes restricting their ability to market and advertise themselves.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Club have to ban gambling joint from giving us money as it destroy lives, players have to distance themselves from sponsorship coming out of oil companies that destroy the environment. What next?
Fully automated luxury communism!

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I disagree.

Earlier in this thread, posts set out some of the tactics employed by betting companies to further lure already addicted people.

These companies are not merely providing a service that people can freely choose whether to take part in or not. They also employ a complicated combination of psychology, persuasion, beaurocracy and obfuscation to prey on the weak and the vulnerable. This creates social damage that the rest of us have to clean up.

We have to decide whether we want to be a society that takes care of the most vulnerable of us, or whether our response is ‘fuck ‘em’.

A lot of people enjoy a little flutter, and there is no harm in that. But the gambling industry must be heavily regulated to prevent it from exploiting people who have lost their judgement and reason to addiction, and that includes restricting their ability to market and advertise themselves.
I saw a really fat guy buying cakes in Tesco earlier, should they be regulated? If a person smokes 80 a day, should they be regulated? Who defines the regulation? Who sets the standards?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Hmmmm increases of £1.3b in value from 2015-2019. I wonder who’s the man in charge of the team at the time....
I just knew you were going to be interested in this Eddie since you are better at running a business than me. I am thinking wow, our club are doing fantastically well .:-)

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I just knew you were going to be interested in this Eddie since yiunare better at running a business than me. I am thinking wow, our club are doing fantastically well .
Didn’t shy away praising the owners for hiring Klopp. That’s the one thing they’ve done right and it has given us a very good journey till now. My only hope is they don’t fuck it up after Klopp bid farewell to the club in 3 years time.