• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Owners

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Hey that's before bargaining ok

And night markets in Bangkok is now trying to rebrand themselves, more "upmarket" with local designers though I wonder how copying our badges can be considered local designs

200 baht in Bangkok?

You got ripped mate, guy down the road giving them away for half that, with the league badge and everything.....

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am surprised you said that because my perception of my fellow countrymen is they are stingy as fuck. Penny wise and pound foolish, arguing with vendors to get a discount of 20 baht.

He’s Singaporean, they tend to get taken for a ride in Bangkok. lollollollol

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
If you look at the Champions League memorabilia a good majority of it contains the lyrics to Allez Allez Allez. Lyrics written by Liverpool supporters which they've taken, packaged and then sold back at a premium price, just like the club have started to get involved in the whole BOSS night operation now they've obviously seen the dollar signs. So it seems as though they've got no issue profiting off the back of somebody else's work, just when somebody makes a profit off the back of them (Even though most of the traders will have been there long before FSG and are loyal supporters anyway, so you could argue they've even played a part in achieving the success they are allegedly profiting off)

Just a really bad move. Looks like there's quite a backlash already & I hope it continues
The club were way ahead of you...!

Fuck me. What numpties we've got in the commercial department. Interesting that this stuff is coming out within two weeks of Olly Dale's departure as Commercial Director.

Claymenza

Wouldn't be surprised if the club start trying to sell loot crates next
25 pounds per month

*Opens loot crate*

"Officially licensed" but not New Balance/47 LFC cap
Titi Camara bobblehead
Liverbird Keyring
Autographed Frode Kippe trading card
"Officially licensed" but not New Balance LFC gym bag
Travel mug (which you can't bring into Anfield)
Tshirt with dodgy graphic design
Voucher for 2% off storewide

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The talk from the club that some of these moves are being done to stop unscrupulous individuals doing it does raise an eyebrow. Could you imagine if every website that mentions the Allez Allez Allez song had to pay a fee to Joe Bloggs Ltd based in Surrey or something? If the club own the copyrights there is an argument that its safer from abuse than being open and available for anyone else to attempt it. At least the club has a public image to uphold and realise how much negativity it would create if they moved on independents. Someone else owning the copyrights may not have those concerns/restraints.

Claymenza

They understand but being a business driven organisation, they don’t care. They know the fans going to come up with it even though it is going to be trademarked by the club.
Do they marketing folks in the business have creative ideas of their own?

RedForever2014

LFC's priority is profit. That's clear from this summer.

Klopp clearly wasn't recruited to maximise trophy wins utilising every possible pound that the club could raise and use within FFP.

Klopp was recruited to ensure the club did well enough to make 95%+ of total possible revenue from a low net spend, whether or not trophies resulted. Trophies are the bonus, revenue and profit is the goal.

FSG would rather win one major trophy every few years from a low net spend, than multiple trophies from the maximum possible net spend.

Klopp is probably part of that, his contract probably incentivises him financially the more profit the club makes.

This season we'll come close, we'll win a minor trophy or two. Any backwards step in respect of the major trophies will be blamed on things we knew about but didn't sort. You can hear the excuses starting already.

Klopp will laugh off claims we should have spent money this summer, talking as though we're a small club that can't spend and not one of the richest in Europe but which chose not to.

The internet warriors, many of whom are so supportive of FSG that they are clearly on their payroll, will shout down, ridicule and crowd out reasonable criticism.

Next summer the narrative will be that it's time to freshen it up. We'll sell one or two of the best players we should have added to this summer to max out on trophies this season.

We'll reinvest the money, FSG won't risk us not finishing top 4 or getting to the business end of the CL. We'll remain competitive from a low net spend, but our trophy haul will remain less than was possible, although profits will remain high, whether they be declared UK profits or siphoned off via FSM.

But under FSG LFC will only ever be self sustaining in the transfer market, the profits from the club's commercial activities will be for the owners.

Most supporters, so desperate for success, and manipulated by the opinion formers, will sit like faithful dogs at the feet of Henry and Werner's dinner table, grateful for the nice juicy scraps thrown down to them, whilst their owners eat the five courses that their working dogs actually paid for, laughing at how compliant and well trained their pooches are.

Klopp will complete his seven years, and leave with praise for winning whatever he does win against the odds, which will have actually been odds of LFC's own choosing, having chosen not to invest everything possible in the squad to increase the chances of trophies.

I'm not being part of that. I cannot take the same enjoyment out of actively following FSG's LFC, given my view of their motives and priorities.

I acknowledged the good work they did, I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But this summer has disgusted me and has killed all the enjoyment and pleasure I took from the CL win. I don't even trust Klopp's motives and part in what FSG are doing any more.

My views are my views and they won't change, so I'll put my money where my mouth is.

I've followed the club all my life, and will always love the reds. But I'm not being part of the feathering of FSG's nest. I didn't renew my club membership and won't go to a match this season.

And given my strong views on all this, I agree that all my contributions to these forums will be tainted by it.

So I'll leave this place well alone and may well actually depart for good.

Which I guess is what the FSG luvvies have always wanted.

Art Morte6

Anyone blaming the owners for our lack of transfer activity need to have a word with themselves.

Money's always been there for transfers under FSG, it's absolutely silly to suggest they've turn off the tap now when we're in our best moment in years.

Personally I wasn't even asking for a starting XI, expensive signing this window. Just some striker and full-back cover. The fact we're gambling on Firmino and our full-backs staying fit and healthy for the full season is on Klopp and CEO Moore.

fspencer

LFC's priority is profit. That's clear from this summer.

Klopp clearly wasn't recruited to maximise trophy wins utilising every possible pound that the club could raise and use within FFP.

Klopp was recruited to ensure the club did well enough to make 95%+ of total possible revenue from a low net spend, whether or not trophies resulted. Trophies are the bonus, revenue and profit is the goal.

FSG would rather win one major trophy every few years from a low net spend, than multiple trophies from the maximum possible net spend.

Klopp is probably part of that, his contract probably incentivises him financially the more profit the club makes.

This season we'll come close, we'll win a minor trophy or two. Any backwards step in respect of the major trophies will be blamed on things we knew about but didn't sort. You can hear the excuses starting already.

Klopp will laugh off claims we should have spent money this summer, talking as though we're a small club that can't spend and not one of the richest in Europe but which chose not to.

The internet warriors, many of whom are so supportive of FSG that they are clearly on their payroll, will shout down, ridicule and crowd out reasonable criticism.

Next summer the narrative will be that it's time to freshen it up. We'll sell one or two of the best players we should have added to this summer to max out on trophies this season.

We'll reinvest the money, FSG won't risk us not finishing top 4 or getting to the business end of the CL. We'll remain competitive from a low net spend, but our trophy haul will remain less than was possible, although profits will remain high, whether they be declared UK profits or siphoned off via FSM.

But under FSG LFC will only ever be self sustaining in the transfer market, the profits from the club's commercial activities will be for the owners.

Most supporters, so desperate for success, and manipulated by the opinion formers, will sit like faithful dogs at the feet of Henry and Werner's dinner table, grateful for the nice juicy scraps thrown down to them, whilst their owners eat the five courses that their working dogs actually paid for, laughing at how compliant and well trained their pooches are.

Klopp will complete his seven years, and leave with praise for winning whatever he does win against the odds, which will have actually been odds of LFC's own choosing, having chosen not to invest everything possible in the squad to increase the chances of trophies.

I'm not being part of that. I cannot take the same enjoyment out of actively following FSG's LFC, given my view of their motives and priorities.

I acknowledged the good work they did, I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But this summer has disgusted me and has killed all the enjoyment and pleasure I took from the CL win. I don't even trust Klopp's motives and part in what FSG are doing any more.

My views are my views and they won't change, so I'll put my money where my mouth is.

I've followed the club all my life, and will always love the reds. But I'm not being part of the feathering of FSG's nest. I didn't renew my club membership and won't go to a match this season.

And given my strong views on all this, I agree that all my contributions to these forums will be tainted by it.

So I'll leave this place well alone and may well actually depart for good.

Which I guess is what the FSG luvvies have always wanted.
get help mate.

seriously .

You've taken paranoia to a whole new level .

off to withdraw my fsg bonus funds.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Anyone blaming the owners for our lack of transfer activity need to have a word with themselves.

Money's always been there for transfers under FSG, it's absolutely silly to suggest they've turn off the tap now when we're in our best moment in years.

Personally I wasn't even asking for a starting XI, expensive signing this window. Just some striker and full-back cover. The fact we're gambling on Firmino and our full-backs staying fit and healthy for the full season is on Klopp and CEO Moore.
Klopp and Edwards - Moore keeps out of transfers.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
RedForever has indicted he wishes to leave the site, and has requested his account be deleted. So let’s not lay into him and take the piss if he isn’t here to respond.

Personally I don’t want to take the piss, although there is plenty in his valedictory that is lamentable nonsense. For me it’s a tragedy that this is what football, in it’s present 24/7 365 days a year everything is content guise, is doing to increasing numbers of fans.

No-one should feel that their identity and well being is this tied into a football club. Nobody should be disgusted at anything to do with football (unless it does cross over into the real world), and certainly not whether a manager chooses to sign a new player or not. It’s too strong a word for something that is meant to be fun.

Too many people are taking this far too seriously. The fume over signings is simply mind-boggling. As it’s now at the point that winning the European Cup at getting the third highest points tally in league history can’t persuade some fans that people at the club know what they are doing, and are deserving of their trust, I think football is broken.

fspencer

RedForever has indicted he wishes to leave the site, and has requested his account be deleted. So let’s not lay into him and take the piss if he isn’t here to respond.

Personally I don’t want to take the piss, although there is plenty in his valedictory that is lamentable nonsense. For me it’s a tragedy that this is what football, in it’s present 24/7 365 days a year everything is content guise, is doing to increasing numbers of fans.

No-one should feel that their identity and well being is this tied into a football club. Nobody should be disgusted at anything to do with football (unless it does cross over into the real world), and certainly not whether a manager chooses to sign a new player or not. It’s too strong a word for something that is meant to be fun.

Too many people are taking this far too seriously. The fume over signings is simply mind-boggling. As it’s now at the point that winning the European Cup at getting the third highest points tally in league history can’t persuade some fans that people at the club know what they are doing, and are deserving of their trust, I think football is broken.
I'm seeing it everywhere . People losing their heads over a lack of signings . I remember us signing dross under souness and diao , diouf and cheyrou! under houllier .

Signings don;t always make the team stronger .

seriously Redforever needs help if things to do with the club are affecting him so badly . Perhaps he has other stuff going on that we don't know about .

Hope he's okay .

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I'm sorry that RedForever feels that way and would like to apologise to him if any of my responses have contributed to that. There are criticisms of the club that he has made that I endorse and have voiced myself but he has always engaged with civility with me, even on issues that we disagree on. He has been on these forums for some time now and his views are well-known. I hope that he can just take a break from it for a bit because a critiquing voice is needed and certainly one that can express himself as eloquently as he can. I think the issue we've arrived at is that the impact of what he says has become diluted by its repetition. There's a certain amount of jaded apathy on both sides which is a huge shame as he obviously has great passion for Liverpool Football Club and a very good understanding of its history and its present; it would be a great shame if that passion is being diminished. Equally, it is a shame that what he has to say is increasingly dismissed because then who will then heed the warning signs he might legitimately point to in the future?

If RedForever does take some time away from the site I hope it's not permanent and that he can spend it watching our club go from strength to strength off and on the pitch.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm seeing it everywhere . People losing their heads over a lack of signings . I remember us signing dross under souness and diao , diouf and cheyrou! under houllier .

Signings don;t always make the team stronger .

seriously Redforever needs help if things to do with the club are affecting him so badly . Perhaps he has other stuff going on that we don't know about .

Hope he's okay .
I don’t think it’s really about signings. I think it’s a symptom of football becoming an all consuming content behemoth. I’m surprised Virgil can go for a shit without cameras following him and uploading it on Instagram, before a panel of ex-players convenes to discuss what the shape of the turd indicates about the coming season.

The transfer window has become a massive industry in itself, so there is no surprise that fans are getting swept up in something that is supposed to be secondary to the actual football.

Honestly if it wasn’t transfers it would be something else.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
All that said, after years of dining at the kiddie table when it comes to transfers, I would have liked to see a transfer that reflected a new era. For years, the club legitimately could not afford an elite player, either due to direct financial constraints, or the simple fact that with LFC not being seen as a legitimate destination for elite players, attracting them would have required blowing apart a wage structure that was carefully being built to assure future prosperity. Window after window, there was a reminder of LFC's current place in the football world. That has changed. Financially, the resources are there, and the club are the defending champions of Europe.

I like the long-term focus of most of our deals, but in the near-term there are some weaknesses if not gaps in the squad. Four years ago, I would have found it hard to believe that the summer after we won our next European Cup, our incoming transfer business would be a couple of million Euros for a 17 year old and a youth player on a tribunal basis.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I was certainly disgusted during the g+h era, as I felt that they were seriously undermining the club as an institution. It made me sick to see how they were destroying the prospects of LFC, hurting so many people on their lousy short-term ways.

But fsg are clearly another kettle of fish. Through their commitment towards the new main stand, the uniting of Melwood and Kirkby, the prudent rebuild of the club after a catastrophic period, the appointment of one of the very best managers in business, and backing him in the last years to get some fantastic players, they have proven without a doubt that they aren't in it for profit only.

Their aim is being successful in the long term (as announced when they came in). Maybe that's what irks off some fans.

Just like Klopp, I am completely on board with this. Recent results have proven that it is the right approach. We'll no doubt reap the fruits in the next years.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
We all always want to sign player X for ££££££ because we’re human football fans. Sad that RF is leaving as a respectful poster with radical ideas always makes for a bit more fun in life. If you’re reading this mate, don’t go too far away :-) We’ll never agree but if we all do, there’s no debate.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The money was there
I don’t think it’s really about signings. I think it’s a symptom of football becoming an all consuming content behemoth. I’m surprised Virgil can go for a shit without cameras following him and uploading it on Instagram, before a panel of ex-players convenes to discuss what the shape of the turd indicates about the coming season.

The transfer window has become a massive industry in itself, so there is no surprise that fans are getting swept up in something that is supposed to be secondary to the actual football.

Honestly if it wasn’t transfers it would be something else.
I agree....

How many "Salah isn't smiling" posts do we get per season in the post match threads

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
All that said, after years of dining at the kiddie table when it comes to transfers, I would have liked to see a transfer that reflected a new era. For years, the club legitimately could not afford an elite player, either due to direct financial constraints, or the simple fact that with LFC not being seen as a legitimate destination for elite players, attracting them would have required blowing apart a wage structure that was carefully being built to assure future prosperity. Window after window, there was a reminder of LFC's current place in the football world. That has changed. Financially, the resources are there, and the club are the defending champions of Europe.

I like the long-term focus of most of our deals, but in the near-term there are some weaknesses if not gaps in the squad. Four years ago, I would have found it hard to believe that the summer after we won our next European Cup, our incoming transfer business would be a couple of million Euros for a 17 year old and a youth player on a tribunal basis.
I would think next summer might be the time they announce those kinds of big signings. Just like Spurs are having a bit of a spend now.