The Owners

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
You dont associate Arsenal with having a good Sports medicine department, but I guess we should trust the judgement of whomever is making this choice.
You know, I dont exactly think of Arsenal as best in class for injury management and prevention.
this is like head doctor no? All the sports science is still there.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
After accusations of having it easy this year, Klopp is throwing down the gauntlet by signing Arsenal's medical team, James Ward Prowse, and doing without Salah, Mané and Keita for the month of January, as well as having to go back to Qatar for the Club World Cup.

And we'll still win the league!

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I'll give you a thousand quid per head, all the posters on here predicted Robbo would become a kop cult hero inside 12 months, and be our best left back since Alec Lindsay.
Yes I agree, Klopp out !
"None of the managers after Shanks managed the club for a long period of time."

Bob Paisley: nine years of a glorious reign at LFC. :unsure:
Fagan: two years of great succes. He retired just after the Heysel drama, otherwise he'd have continued for a longer time I guess.
Dalglish: six years with a lot of success. He eventually retired because Hillsborough had taken too much out of him.

After that, the club fell into pieces compared to what it was before. Even though an ownership change in 1991 didn't help, it's fair to say that we paid a heavy price for Heysel and Hillsborough. They cost us two brilliant managers who would have stayed longer than they did. The fact that they didn't cost us dearly in the end.

I don't think that your point stands to be honest. When you've got hold of a genius like Klopp, a man who so obviously matches everything this club stands for, there is no hesitation: you hold him as long as you can while letting himself decide when it's time to go.
Assuming all goes according to plan, Kloppis signed at the until 2024, which would mean 9 years. Just like Paisely.

The fact is, the longer a manger stays, the harder it is to inherit him ( please note. I did not use replace ). The ideal scenario is for Klopp to take part in the process. Help chose his successor, work with him during a transition period, leave most of the staff for the new manager.
I have nothing but admiration for Klopp, not for winning the CL or even for winning the title this year, but rather for the transformation in club and the supporters. Having said that, I love and care of the club more.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Assuming all goes according to plan, Kloppis signed at the until 2024, which would mean 9 years. Just like Paisely.

The fact is, the longer a manger stays, the harder it is to inherit him ( please note. I did not use replace ). The ideal scenario is for Klopp to take part in the process. Help chose his successor, work with him during a transition period, leave most of the staff for the new manager.
I have nothing but admiration for Klopp, not for winning the CL or even for winning the title this year, but rather for the transformation in club and the supporters. Having said that, I love and care of the club more.
That's all good and well, but as long as Klopp is willing and able to go on any talk of replacing/inheriting/succeeding him has to be shelved.

When the time comes for him to step down, whether that's in 2024 or in 2034, the club will be ready and he will have contributed to the process. There should be no doubt about that.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Yes. It's long been a generally accepted albeit challenged part of the game. If you can pick up on tells the pitcher has as to what pitch he is going to throw then you take advantage of it. In rugby you are always looking to decode the line out throw cues, and in cricket you're looking for little things about grip and hand motion to figure out what ball is going to be bowled. Sign stealing has always been a little beyond that though as it has always involved a coordinated effort among players to decode and then communicate the signal to whomever needs it. Typically it is a case of getting a runner on second base who can get a good look at the catcher's signs and then communicating that back to the hitter. Whether this is really a breach of etiquette is not universally agreed upon.

Where this case became so brazen was the Astros used cameras to try to get views of the catcher's signals and relayed that footage back to a booth for staff to try to decode with players then sending signals out to the field in real time. It went from game intelligence to concerted, coordinated institutional cheating. The reason the Red Sox got caught up in it is one of the main assistants at Houston in the 2017 win was subsequently hired to be the manager in Boston and he immediately created a similar system there that they used en route to their world series win that year. The actual report on the Red Sox has not even been published yet but there is enough in the one on the Astros and Corra's involvement there that Henry and Werner were really left with no choice.
Don’t see an issue with that at all.

gr_sounder

Don’t see an issue with that at all.
Don't see an issue with the cheating or with the firing? (just curious as I wasn't sure what you were refering to but I'm guessing you're fine with the firing)
Limiescouse was right, the Red Sox did absolutely the right thing in firing Alex Cora. Cora admitted to being a key figure in the sign-stealing scheme. As stewards of the Red Sox, they will not tolerate that kind of behavior because they want the club to be run the right way. Of course they want to win, but they want to win withing the parameters of the game. Easy and correct decision on the part of Henry, Werner and others.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Don't see an issue with the cheating or with the firing? (just curious as I wasn't sure what you were refering to but I'm guessing you're fine with the firing)
Limiescouse was right, the Red Sox did absolutely the right thing in firing Alex Cora. Cora admitted to being a key figure in the sign-stealing scheme. As stewards of the Red Sox, they will not tolerate that kind of behavior because they want the club to be run the right way. Of course they want to win, but they want to win withing the parameters of the game. Easy and correct decision on the part of Henry, Werner and others.
Nothing wrong with using any system whatsoever to gain an advantage on the pitch!

gr_sounder

Nothing wrong with using any system whatsoever to gain an advantage on the pitch!
As long as whatever system you're using to gain an advantage is LEGAL and within the rules of the game, I'm fine with it.

Cheating is cheating.... I don't and won't condone it. Winning at any and all costs is not something I'm not interested in and I hope isn't tolerated at Anfield either. I'd rather lose the Premier League honestly than win it dishonestly... but that's just me.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
As long as whatever system you're using to gain an advantage is LEGAL and within the rules of the game, I'm fine with it.

Cheating is cheating.... I don't and won't condone it. Winning at any and all costs is not something I'm not interested in and I hope isn't tolerated at Anfield either. I'd rather lose the Premier League honestly than win it dishonestly... but that's just me.
I think there is also a significant difference between individual violations of the rules in the moment, and structured, systematic club level cheating.

gr_sounder

I think there is also a significant difference between individual violations of the rules in the moment, and structured, systematic club level cheating.
Oh I absolutely agree, and that's why I wrote about a "system" to gain an advantage. The situation with the Red Sox manager is that he was a key figure in cheating using a systematic and well planned approach while an assistant at the Astros, and then he implemented a similar system as manager of the Red Sox.

Granted I don't like diving on the field, but what Alex Cora did was knowingly and willingly create a system to break rules to gain an advantage. Had to be let go and personally I think he should be held out of the game longer than a year.

Limiescouse

I kind of agree, but I can guarantee you there are a lot of bench coaches out there right now quite relieved their relative lack of competency has seen their institution of such a scheme overlooked as the authorities are only focusing on the winners right now.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Anyone got Tom’s email address? Send him a link to Bluemoon.
He didn't say they would honestly admit to appreciating it! He also didn't say anything about all the jumped up keyboard warrior lil shits who haven't actually watched us play more than a couple of highlights at most but have tin foil hat conspiracies about how well we are doing.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Linda Puzzuti liked my tweet suggesting Juve were smoking strong stuff when it was suggested they are going to buy Virgil for £150m.

Best owners wife in the world.
Didn't this story first emanate from the rag?

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Yeah, more so than Pep (for me anyway), weirdly - probably because while Pep has remained at the club learning at Klopp's feet, Gerrard is off doing his own thing. I feel like if it's continuity you're looking for (and why not), then bringing in Gerrard would involve a lot more disruption to the way we play.
Not if we got Gerrard in as a replacement for klopp in the 2023 season itself. Let him be in the dug out with klopp for that one season , learn the nuances of the team (he would already have experience managing), work with the staff and then plan the transition period along with klopps team to be as smooth as possible.

Limiescouse

Not if we got Gerrard in as a replacement for klopp in the 2023 season itself. Let him be in the dug out with klopp for that one season , learn the nuances of the team (he would already have experience managing), work with the staff and then plan the transition period along with klopps team to be as smooth as possible.
One of the things that gets missed when talking about the Boot Room is that the continuity did not just come from the manager coming from within. It came from the fact that the core of the group stayed largely unchanged. Ronnie Moran and Joe Fagan are possibly the two most under appreciated members of the liverpool family. One of the issues we therefore face with the idea of replacing Klopp with Pep is what does Pep's backroom look like? Does Krawietz stay after Klopp leaves? Can we bring some of the U23/academy coaches up to the first team in the next few years so that Pep's assistants are already in place? These are the issues we need to address for real continuity just as much as we have to think about Klopp's replacement. You can make a pretty good case that simply replacing with Klopp with Stevie and leaving the backroom the same would result in more continuity than Pep stepping up and having to create from scratch his own team.

SithBaare

One of the things that gets missed when talking about the Boot Room is that the continuity did not just come from the manager coming from within. It came from the fact that the core of the group stayed largely unchanged. Ronnie Moran and Joe Fagan are possibly the two most under appreciated members of the liverpool family. One of the issues we therefore face with the idea of replacing Klopp with Pep is what does Pep's backroom look like? Does Krawietz stay after Klopp leaves? Can we bring some of the U23/academy coaches up to the first team in the next few years so that Pep's assistants are already in place? These are the issues we need to address for real continuity just as much as we have to think about Klopp's replacement. You can make a pretty good case that simply replacing with Klopp with Stevie and leaving the backroom the same would result in more continuity than Pep stepping up and having to create from scratch his own team.
Partly the reason as to why I'd want Stevie to come in earlier to the process. If klopp does leave his crew back , that would help pep make the jump easier. But getting Stevie and his crew back a year earlier would enable them to find a smoother transition esp if kraweitz leaves with klopp. Yes might mean more overheads in terms of coaching staff etc.

All this is assuming that fsg have zeroed in on Stevie as the next manager , for that to happen he'd need to win something at rangers and prove he can do the same there (at a lesser level albiet ) in terms of building a scalable structure in place.

SithBaare

I have no objection to pepjin taking over the manager role for Liverpool , just that some people aren't made out for it. He needs to have the ability to be in the media limelight day in and day out. There are assistant managers who have become great managers later but it depends on whether pep wants to be in the background more or wants to be a front level team manager.

I do hope that he sticks on with Liverpool whatever the case is though.