• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Owners

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I have no objection to pepjin taking over the manager role for Liverpool , just that some people aren't made out for it. He needs to have the ability to be in the media limelight day in and day out. There are assistant managers who have become great managers later but it depends on whether pep wants to be in the background more or wants to be a front level team manager.

I do hope that he sticks on with Liverpool whatever the case is though.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Partly the reason as to why I'd want Stevie to come in earlier to the process. If klopp does leave his crew back , that would help pep make the jump easier. But getting Stevie and his crew back a year earlier would enable them to find a smoother transition esp if kraweitz leaves with klopp. Yes might mean more overheads in terms of coaching staff etc.

All this is assuming that fsg have zeroed in on Stevie as the next manager , for that to happen he'd need to win something at rangers and prove he can do the same there (at a lesser level albiet ) in terms of building a scalable structure in place.
Also leaves more time for Stevie (or any other targeted manager like nagelsmann etc )to work with Edwards in the recruitment. It makes sense for me. That's how entities should be run and the we should be doing the same.

Maria

FIFA Club Champions of The World
Ad-free Member

The phrase that sticks in my mind is "LFC were holistically dysfunctional"

We really have to thank Sir Martin Broughton for saving our club an and selling it to decent owners. I was sceptical from day one and yes i was abit stupidly prejudiced about their motives to buy LF, as they were American because we got badly burned and almost bankrupt by those clowns Hicks and Gillett.

FSG have kept their promise so far, they built a shiny new stand and are rebuilding the Academy at Kirkby and amalgamating it with the Melwood branch. We have a charismatic and fantastic manager, excellent players and peace of mind that our club is in safely run hands. Also, fair play to FSG, the main people have always made a huge effort to attend key games with their families and have a bond with the club.
I am so grateful to FSG as well. We could have got someone like Mike Ashley or those previous owners at Aston Villa.

Last edited:

Tosh

TIA Regular
I still break out in a cold sweat when I think of the reign of Gillett and Hicks.

What is just as irritating is the fact that Gillett, and more particularly Hicks, were ever allowed within a 1000 miles of our club in the first place. A simple google search on Hicks would of revealed exactly the kind of person his is, and the fact that Moores and Parry failed in this simplest of tasks to my mind places them in the dock alongside the other pair, all equally guilty.

The contrition of Parry and Moores regarding this whole sorry affair is genuine, however it reveals the gross ineptitude at board level which had hamstrung the club for many years leading up to this debacle.

Despite his 'good 'ol boy grin', the reputation of Hicks as a serial asset stripper and charlatan was well known by 2007. As for Gillett, he is simply a serial bankrupt, yet the pair of them had no problem in taking in Moores - simply promising to be 'good custodians of the club' was enough to pull his pants down.

Gillett had already had a go at acquiring the club late in 2006, but he couldn't raise the necessary and after the proposed deal with DIC collapsed he enlisted Hicks - this in itself should of been enough to take the club off the market.
The cash of the Premiership together with the 'franchise' of Liverpool Football Club obviously had their tongues hanging out at the prospect of stripping this great club for all they could get.

Billed as 'billionaires' it quickly became apparent that neither had a pot to piss in, and Gillett in particular simply came across as nothing but an idiot, with Hicks trotting out his tried and trusted promise of a new stadium - just as he had when he'd got his claws into Corinthians and of course failing to deliver.

Sitting at their initial press conference alongside Parry, the bare faced lies began from that first instance. They went on to completely undermine Rafa with their attempt to appoint Jurgen Klinnsman, and things continued to get progressively worse with Rafa leaving and Roy Hodgson coming in to steady the ship - yeah, right.

The rest is well known to us all. But the emotional turmoil of that time with everything that went with it still haunts me - watching this pair of shysters pimping the club around the world like some old brass on the game, trying to save their necks.

As things descended at least Gillett realised the game was up. Hicks however was in it for all he could get and was going nowhere until he'd sucked everything out of the club - his lies becoming ever more ridiculous as he continually refused to bow to the inevitable and stand aside (not to mention that arsehole he calls a son).

I read Sir Martin's interview in the Telegraph with great satisfaction. Knowing how close we came to going into receivership through the actions of Hicks, I thank the heavens that Sir Martin was able to broker the deal with FSG and our club was saved.

Our owners, more or less, have been as good as their word. And it was certainly gratifying of Sir Martin to say he was pleased that they turned out to be the people he thought they were.

As for Hicks and Gillett, they are the complete antithesis to everything which Liverpool Football Club stands for. I wonder if they're still fans?

Last edited:

Commando

Ad-free Member
I still break out in a cold sweat when I think of the reign of Gillett and Hicks.

What is just as irritating is the fact that Gillett, and more particularly Hicks, were ever allowed within a 1000 miles of our club in the first place. A simple google search on Hicks would of revealed exactly the kind of person his is, and the fact that Moores and Parry failed in this simplest of tasks to my mind places them in the dock alongside the other pair, all equally guilty.

The contrition of Parry and Moores regarding this whole sorry affair is genuine, however it reveals the gross ineptitude at board level which had hamstrung the club for many years leading up to this debacle.

Despite his 'good 'ol boy grin', the reputation of Hicks as a serial asset stripper and charlatan was well known by 2007. As for Gillett, he is simply a serial bankrupt, yet the pair of them had no problem in taking in Moores - simply promising to be 'good custodians of the club' was enough to pull his pants down.

Gillett had already had a go at acquiring the club late in 2006, but he couldn't raise the necessary and after the proposed deal with DIC collapsed he enlisted Hicks - this in itself should of been enough to take the club off the market.
The cash of the Premiership together with the 'franchise' of Liverpool Football Club obviously had their tongues hanging out at the prospect of stripping this great club for all they could get.

Billed as 'billionaires' it quickly became apparent that neither had a pot to piss in, and Gillett in particular simply came across as nothing but an idiot, with Hicks trotting out his tried and trusted promise of a new stadium - just as he had when he'd got his claws into Corinthians and of course failing to deliver.

Sitting at their initial press conference alongside Parry, the bare faced lies began from that first instance. They went on to completely undermine Rafa with their attempt to appoint Jurgen Klinnsman, and things continued to get progressively worse with Rafa leaving and Roy Hodgson coming in to steady the ship - yeah, right.

The rest is well known to us all. But the emotional turmoil of that time with everything that went with it still haunts me - watching this pair of shysters pimping the club around the world like some old brass on the game, trying to save their necks.

As things descended at least Gillett realised the game was up. Hicks however was in it for all he could get and was going nowhere until he'd sucked everything out of the club - his lies becoming ever more ridiculous as he continually refused to bow to the inevitable and stand aside (not to mention that arsehole he calls a son).

I read Sir Martin's interview in the Telegraph with great satisfaction. Knowing how close we came to going into receivership through the actions of Hicks, I thank the heavens that Sir Martin was able to broker the deal with FSG and our club was saved.

Our owners, more or less, have been as good as their word. And it was certainly gratifying of Sir Martin to say he was pleased that they turned out to be the people he thought they were.

As for Hicks and Gillett, they are the complete antithesis to everything which Liverpool Football Club stands for. I wonder if they're still fans?
It makes you wonder just what the criteria for the Premier League's "Fit and proper person" test is?

Premier League, "Are you a fit and proper person"?

Hicks/Gillette, "Yes".

Premier League, "Okay, welcome aboard".

jaffod

It makes you wonder just what the criteria for the Premier League's "Fit and proper person" test is?

Premier League, "Are you a fit and proper person"?

Hicks/Gillette, "Yes".

Premier League, "Okay, welcome aboard".
It's a low bar. Just look at the club that used to be Manchester City.