The Owners

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Am I the only one who routinely forgets there is a such thing as Nathaniel Clyne? I think by brain has mistakenly categorised him with Wizards, Genies and Unicorns.
Sadly I only remember him when I look at that physio room website with all the club injuries.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
This set of results was always going to be more revealing of the financial strength of the club because it was a year when there weren't many big player sales. Last year's profit was a record £125 million but it was comprised almost entirely of player sales (basically Coutinho). This year's profit of £42 million is lower but more significant given the transfer activity. It's the third year in a row where we've posted a profit and the 4th time in 5 years. We posted huge losses in the first 3 years under FSG so the turnaround is impressive.

The commercial increase is good but not stellar and we are still a long way behind United so plenty of room for growth there. The wage bill is £310 million, up 17%, but still hovering at around 58% of turnover. This won't include the bonuses for winning the CL but it will have included the bonuses for getting to the previous year's final. All perfectly manageable but for all those wanting mega-transfers I doubt we are yet at the stage where we're contemplating buying superstars with all the potential inflationary impacts right across the squad. I expect us to continue in the same careful way that has got us into this position. Looking for value in the transfer market, improving the club infrastructure, tying up more lucrative deals on the back of our ongoing success and not being afraid to cash in on a player where we feel the funds can be used to reinvigorate the squad.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Yep and wages is a lot;

Lallana - £110k pw
Lovren - £100k pw
Shaqiri - £80k pw
Origi - £45k pw
Clyne - £75k pw

£410k pw - Not going to get close to the £750k pw Mbappe PSG offer :(

Looking at the site you've posted the link to: Mané is on half the wages of Salah??? That can't be true surely? o_O

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
This set of results was always going to be more revealing of the financial strength of the club because it was a year when there weren't many big player sales. Last year's profit was a record £125 million but it was comprised almost entirely of player sales (basically Coutinho). This year's profit of £42 million is lower but more significant given the transfer activity. It's the third year in a row where we've posted a profit and the 4th time in 5 years. We posted huge losses in the first 3 years under FSG so the turnaround is impressive.

The commercial increase is good but not stellar and we are still a long way behind United so plenty of room for growth there. The wage bill is £310 million, up 17%, but still hovering at around 58% of turnover. This won't include the bonuses for winning the CL but it will have included the bonuses for getting to the previous year's final. All perfectly manageable but for all those wanting mega-transfers I doubt we are yet at the stage where we're contemplating buying superstars with all the potential inflationary impacts right across the squad. I expect us to continue in the same careful way that has got us into this position. Looking for value in the transfer market, improving the club infrastructure, tying up more lucrative deals on the back of our ongoing success and not being afraid to cash in on a player where we feel the funds can be used to reinvigorate the squad.
Its quite astounding that we made a profit for this Reporting Year. Player acquisitions (record breaking numbers) and very little in sales just shows how healthy the club is.

The following year (current year) could hit over £100m in profits again - perhaps it should do. Player acquisitions in this period - Minamino, Van den Berg and Elliot - probably more than offset by Ings? And Studge and Moreno off the wage bill too. I think also the £50m for the training facility came out of the published accounts.

Could be looking at £150 - 200m profit - which is actually not too clever considering that will all be taxable. Unless they put some of it aside for the ARE development.

Whichever way it is dressed up - the Liver Bird is sitting proud on its perch.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Its quite astounding that we made a profit for this Reporting Year. Player acquisitions (record breaking numbers) and very little in sales just shows how healthy the club is.

The following year (current year) could hit over £100m in profits again - perhaps it should do. Player acquisitions in this period - Minamino, Van den Berg and Elliot - probably more than offset by Ings? And Studge and Moreno off the wage bill too. I think also the £50m for the training facility came out of the published accounts.

Could be looking at £150 - 200m profit - which is actually not too clever considering that will all be taxable. Unless they put some of it aside for the ARE development.

Whichever way it is dressed up - the Liver Bird is sitting proud on its perch.
And next year could be even better once again with the Nike Deal, PL Champions and other stuff. Plus maybe up to 100 million in player sales (that we won't miss). I've been saying for awhile that if we want even Mbappe we can afford anyone Klopp wants.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
What I gather from this as the main info is that our wage expenditure has now risen from £264m to £310m (third highest in the league behind the red mancs and Abu Dhabi), but at the same time, our wages to turnover ratio has stayed at a healthy 58%. That is excellent, really. In 2011, we were still at 69%!

iftikhar

Yeah I'm a bit worried about the wages. But if the squad keeps winning trophies, I think it would be well worth it. But, they have to keep winning trophies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What I gather from this as the main info is that our wage expenditure has now risen from £264m to £310m (third highest in the league behind the red mancs and Abu Dhabi), but at the same time, our wages to turnover ratio has stayed at a healthy 58%. That is excellent, really. In 2011, we were still at 69%!
Theres been so much talk of how all extra revenue from being successful would have been swallowed up by increases to the players. I always argued theres no way a club ran so stringently would let that happen. The more successful we are on the pitch and in revenue the more we are able to spend. That includes both fees and wages.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
It's very encouraging to see that the new training facility has not required any additional borrowing, either from the banks or the parent company.

In fact, Net bank debt after deferred loan costs has decreased by £32.8 million to £12.0 Million at 31 May 2019.
And lntercompany debt has decreased by £20.6 million to £79.3 million at 31 May 2019. This loan is no longer interest bearing.

The club and its parent company refinanced their credit facilities with the bank in January of this year. We should discover the terms of this facility in next year's accounts.

It all bodes very well for the ARE development.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Been saying this (to quite strong opposition) for awhile, glad to see the accounts back my hunch up;

On a cash basis #LFC annual net spend rose to £49m in last 5 seasons, only £16m more than 2010-14 £33m. However, gross spend doubled from £61m to £124m, offset by increase in sales from £29m to £75m. However, have spent hardly anything in 2019/20, so could be a big summer ahead. https://t.co/L0sYdsez8M