• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Owners

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
It’s one of those sliding door moments when you wonder what could have been if the circumstances were altered even slightly

Say, Like the night you went out and met the women you end up spending the rest of your life with, and you think to yourself..... if only there was something worth staying at home for on TV that night..........just the smallest things.....

Kopstar

★★★★★★
It’s one of those sliding door moments when you wonder what could have been if the circumstances were altered even slightly

Say, Like the night you went out and met the women you end up spending the rest of your life with, and you think to yourself..... if only there was something worth staying at home for on TV that night..........just the smallest things.....
Player.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

I'm a financial ignorant (my wife says so), so I'm very confused here. Everyone says these results are outstanding but Swiss Ramble says in majority of these tweets how certain parameters are still short of Man United's, and even of Man City's. Can someone explain in it to me in simplest of terms just how well the club is doing and how far behind the Manchester clubs they are?

brush85

I'm a financial ignorant (my wife says so), so I'm very confused here. Everyone says these results are outstanding but Swiss Ramble says in majority of these tweets how certain parameters are still short of Man United's, and even of Man City's. Can someone explain in it to me in simplest of terms just how well the club is doing and how far behind the Manchester clubs they are?
We have made huge strides in revenues, largely because of broadcast monies. Our commercial revenues still need to improve to catch up the United...same with matchday revenues.
We are neck and neck with City...on paper. But we all know their money is off the books.

Our wage bill is high but it is expected to be at this stage. So our finances look good but there is a tigrope introduced by covid that has us needing to tighten the belt, a little

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

The finances are very good.

However, It's worth thinking about the advantages clubs like Utd and others had when Klopp joined and still do.

Main driver of income has probably been the TV revenues. Winning things and playing good football help maximise those revenues.

With years of CL football and TV exposure our rivals had better deals with bigger brands so their commercial revenues where higher. It takes time to catch up with that as we negotiate new contracts and are able to parlay our performance on the pitch with sponsors off the pitch who wish to be associated with us. As @brush85 mentioned, this is in addition to the way city benefit from their 'commercial' revenues. It still appears that although our commercial deals are growing in value, it may still only be growing at the same rate as our rivals - the Nike deal may be the start of where that changes if we can continue our success over the next 2-3 seasons, and if Utd can continue to just tread water on the pitch. This is probably the area that the club still needs to find ways to improve if it is going to increase its financial muscle against the other top teams.

Football stadium capacity - we have 6th highest in England i think so we get fewer bums on seats on a match day than 5 other clubs. We have less scope than some of those to increase ticket prices. But due to the stadium expansion, its more than it was before Klopp and we are expecting it to grow to become joint 4th with the Annie Road development.

Player purchases/sales. We have been able to generate excellent value in sales to cover our player purchases and helps make up for any gap in the above income streams when compared to our rivals.

Relatively low debt - and it's invested in club infrastructure (the stadium expansion) and will increase clubs income. Therefore interest payments are low. This helps focus available cash flow from income on investing in the playing squad through buying and retaining players.

Noo Noo

Football stadium capacity - we have 6th highest in England i think so we get fewer bums on seats on a match day than 5 other clubs. We have less scope than some of those to increase ticket prices. But due to the stadium expansion, its more than it was before Klopp and we are expecting it to grow to become joint 4th with the Annie Road development.
I've always wondered about bums on seats to be honest.

After Arsenal opened their new stadium I remember it was figured they were making £1m profit per home game. Over season that's not a huge sum but certainly cant be ignored. £19m over a league season ignoring cups etc. The critical number is actually revenue per seat and this is where success kicks in. More cup games, longer CL runs etc. mean more games and more revenue per seat. Prior to Klopp we weren't even on the same page as United and some of the London clubs. That's turning now and it all stems from on the pitch success.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I've always wondered about bums on seats to be honest.

After Arsenal opened their new stadium I remember it was figured they were making £1m profit per home game. Over season that's not a huge sum but certainly cant be ignored. £19m over a league season ignoring cups etc. The critical number is actually revenue per seat and this is where success kicks in. More cup games, longer CL runs etc. mean more games and more revenue per seat. Prior to Klopp we weren't even on the same page as United and some of the London clubs. That's turning now and it all stems from on the pitch success.
Arsenal are located in London so can get away with charging more per ticket. Also easier to attract Corporate gigs.

iftikhar

I feel FSG doesn't get enough (explicit) plaudits for their contributions to the ascendancy of Liverpool.

Around a decade ago we were in in dire circumstances. Staring at insolvency, an atrocious squad, an uninspiring manager, the list is as inexhaustible as it's depressing.

With all their shortcomings and mistakes, they have made the club unrecognisable from what it was less than a decade ago.

Klopp, quite rightly, gets a lot of the plaudits for trophies and the general transformation in fortune and stature. But it's FSG that brought in Klopp. He wouldn't have signed without the vision and groundwork of FSG.

I'm also very impressed by their projects off the pitch. These projects will be critical for our future health and continued growth.

Well done and many thanks.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Did not expect this, he made it sound that he had found his dream job when he became Liverpool CEO. Well, perhaps it was not his choice to leave.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Could be personal reasons. He is afterall 65 and just got married a couple of years ago (?), and spent decades in the US, and in a way, under his leadership on the company front, the club won almost everything there is to win in terms of major championships, might be triggers for wanting to retire or to move on to other desires.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Shame, but I note the references to a 3-year deal. Maybe that's all he wanted from the off.

Good thing is Hogan has been around for a bit, so hopefully there's a level of continuity when he takes the reigns.

Will be interesting to find out if he's as involved at the fan level as Moore was. I was in the Brighton Kop the season before last prior to heading up to the Amex for the PL Away (we won 5-1 and I stayed drinking in Brighton till 11pm - great day). Peter Moore walked in and was chatting to the fans, and was really excited about everything going on. He could relate to the fans, being one himself.

That said, the CEO has a bit more to do than chatting to fans in pubs. Will be interesting to see if he seeks to make any changes to the way we do things. As long as Edwards is around doing the negotiating, I'm not overly fussed.

Nikola

Admin
That said, Hogan has been one of the key players in restoring Liverpool off the pitch, so maybe he really is the best guy to inherit that CEO spot from Moore. I like Moore a lot, though, he seems to genuinely love the club with that gentleman-businessman demeanour.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
That said, Hogan has been one of the key players in restoring Liverpool off the pitch, so maybe he really is the best guy to inherit that CEO spot from Moore. I like Moore a lot, though, he seems to genuinely love the club with that gentleman-businessman demeanour.
Just out of curiosity, could you point to anything that Hogan's done that's been exceptional?

Actually, I'll even settle for "good".

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Why?!?

Edit: Very disappointed with this news, but on reflection, given Moore's age, it was bound to happen at some point. Not convinced at all that Hogan is the right man to take over from him, I just don't see the same class and smartness to represent us as the club's frontman.

But fsg have made a lot of good decisions in the last years regarding key appointments, so I'm willing to accept this one, and to see where it leads us to. As long as Hogan doesn't interfere with Klopp's and Edward's stellar jobs, and backs them as much as he can, we should be fine. It's also an appointment favouring continuity, so it's understandable and maybe even the best available move, we'll see.

Last edited:

Nikola

Admin
Just out of curiosity, could you point to anything that Hogan's done that's been exceptional?

Actually, I'll even settle for "good".
You know I'm a layman on everything financial but, if I'm not mistaken, he's been in charge of commercial side of things at Liverpool, i.e. overseeing the sponsorship deals, including the ones with Standard Chartered, Western Union, New Balance, Nike, for example? That's a good enough reference for me, there has to be a reason why he's been at Liverpool with FSG for virtually their whole ride so far.