• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Owners

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Why?!?

Edit: Very disappointed with this news, but on reflection, given Moore's age, it was bound to happen at some point. Not convinced at all that Hogan is the right man to take over from him, I just don't see the same class and smartness to represent us as the club's frontman.

But fsg have made a lot of good decisions in the last years regarding key appointments, so I'm willing to accept this one, and to see where it leads us to. As long as Hogan doesn't interfere with Klopp's and Edward's stellar jobs, and backs them as much as he can, we should be fine. It's also an appointment favouring continuity, so it's understandable and maybe even the best available move, we'll see.
I'm not sure how often Hogan has been in the limelight since he started at the club (back in 2012?), so albeit we can't know if he's the right man. We've also not seen enough to say he doesn't have the class or smartness.

He's been here for a long while, working at a decent level within the club. When the club has been as successful as it has over the last 2-3 years, and he's been doing his bit, it gives me comfort that he's being appointed from within, therefore we can assume he will give some continuity. I think bringing in a CEO from outside the club, rather than promoting from within, would bring with it more chance of a shake up, which given the healthy position of the club, might not be the best right now.

Hope in your heart

Admin
I'm not sure how often Hogan has been in the limelight since he started at the club (back in 2012?), so albeit we can't know if he's the right man. We've also not seen enough to say he doesn't have the class or smartness.

He's been here for a long while, working at a decent level within the club. When the club has been as successful as it has over the last 2-3 years, and he's been doing his bit, it gives me comfort that he's being appointed from within, therefore we can assume he will give some continuity. I think bringing in a CEO from outside the club, rather than promoting from within, would bring with it more chance of a shake up, which given the healthy position of the club, might not be the best right now.
Yeah, it's a bit like when Edwards was appointed from within to take on the SD role. Many people questioned his qualifications and would have preferred an appointment from the outside (Monchi or another qualified SD). I was part of them to be fair. But Edwards surpassed all expectations and fit in like a glove.

Let's cross fingers that Hogan has learnt a lot while being at the club and working with Moore, and that he will fit into the job likewise.

iftikhar

I wish he and FSG extended the deal by a year. The continuity would have been helpful in this trying time.

Limiescouse

This does not come off as mutual, long expected move. If it was simply because his contract is up and he never intended to do more, everyone at the club would have known that and you'd think the announcement wouldn't have been so brief. It strikes me as something FSG have initiated. In Moores' time we've had two massive PR own goals backtracking on decisions about season tickets and furloughing employees. I wonder whether this is part of the decision.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This does not come off as mutual, long expected move. If it was simply because his contract is up and he never intended to do more, everyone at the club would have known that and you'd think the announcement wouldn't have been so brief. It strikes me as something FSG have initiated. In Moores' time we've had two massive PR own goals backtracking on decisions about season tickets and furloughing employees. I wonder whether this is part of the decision.
Perhaps its a family health thing? I cant see the PR thing being that urgent to make this move - it is more likely initiated by Moore.

Sweeting

Should we care about this? I feel like none of us have any idea how good these guys are at their jobs. It's not like evaluating players or managers.

Moore has done an interview for LFCtv saying he felt it is the right time to leave. Maybe he agreed to do it and leave on good terms but equally likely he just didn't want to do such a high profile job anymore.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
We really don't know the reasons right now. But I would think that the odds are greater that this is initiated by Moore. An announcement with 1 month transition, no hint of acrimony and leaving at a high time for the club - it is the perfect way to go - especially for a Liverpool fan.

That added with the fact that some articles mention he is returning to the U.S. (i.e., that suggests there is a plan and he is not waiting around to sort things out).

Kopstar

★★★★★★
You know I'm a layman on everything financial but, if I'm not mistaken, he's been in charge of commercial side of things at Liverpool, i.e. overseeing the sponsorship deals, including the ones with Standard Chartered, Western Union, New Balance, Nike, for example? That's a good enough reference for me, there has to be a reason why he's been at Liverpool with FSG for virtually their whole ride so far.
Yeah, I mean obviously FSG aren't idiots and they clearly know the guy very well. I've just been underwhelmed by how much our commercial revenue has improved, particularly in comparison with our peers, particularly considering our low starting point. It's very 'meh' for me.

Also he had a large role in the ticketing fiasco and, imo, nobody who read the judgment in the New Balance case could have left with a favourable impression of him.

I think @Kopstar 's reservations stem from a concern that commercially we haven't really improved upon our peers. We've increased in line with them, yet are way behind them
Indeed.

NYRhockey

Disappointing to see Moore go as he’s contributed towards our success but per the article it appears he’s ready to move back to the US and be with his family. Good luck to him and to Hogan taking over.

brush85

In fairness, none of us know how Hogan will fare. But he has been around for a while now and if the big dogs trust him, then who am I to not.

Scammell and Hogan, all being well, will have us match United financially by the end of the decade

NYRhockey

I do wonder how long we’ll be able to keep Edwards before another team offers him a bigger title and he leaves for the advancement opportunity.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
I don't know enough about what Peter Moore brought to the club to make an opinion on him,although from the outside looking in,he's one of us and had the clubs best interest at heart,being the face of the club and a fan at the same time.

He wasn't a football man when he came in (in regards to his career), Billy Hogan was here before him and during his time here,the commercial side of the club has steadily rose year on year before Moore's came in and still is during his time.It's sad to see him leave as he looked like he was doing a good job and enjoying it during our latest success on the pitch,i'd say you can't really say he was the guy who brought us the title,as this squad and club rebuild started years before he came into the club and i'm not trying to belittle his achievements here,but my question is, what do we lose by him going?

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Definitely not qualified to have an educated opinion, but Hogan was cited as a big part of the commercial revolution in James Pearce's article for The Athletic — seems good enough to me. It's no secret that the club still had an old-fashioned mentality in the 1990s and 2000s and, while it had served them well in the 70s/80s, it became clear that we were not taking advantage of the commercial side of the game under Moores and Parry (the story about the club shop being closed after Istanbul says it all) and debatably even Ian Ayre (decent guy and a Scouser, but have to say was not that impressed with him). Our improvement on the pitch has been exceptional, but the fact that it has come alongside the commercial revolution bodes well for us in terms of the feasibility of staying at the top.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
In fairness, none of us know how Hogan will fare. But he has been around for a while now and if the big dogs trust him, then who am I to not.

Scammell and Hogan, all being well, will have us match United financially by the end of the decade
I missed this news entirely and had to go google him. Ex United employee, interesting, in a good way.

Probably means its been lined up for him to take on Hogans responsibility as Moore departs.

MarcusBerglund

Yeah, I mean obviously FSG aren't idiots and they clearly know the guy very well. I've just been underwhelmed by how much our commercial revenue has improved, particularly in comparison with our peers, particularly considering our low starting point. It's very 'meh' for me.

Also he had a large role in the ticketing fiasco and, imo, nobody who read the judgment in the New Balance case could have left with a favourable impression of him.

Indeed.

So why Hogan signs a contract while he has not read it?

They asked him at the Court hearing:

Daniel Oudkerk QC, representing Boston-based sportswear company New Balance, said: 'If the first teams fails for any reason to compete in the group stages of the Champions League, there are various reductions to their contract and to the obligations. If that's right that would be very material to you wouldn't it, as commercial director you would want to know whether there were financial consequences for not being in the Champions League?'

Hogan's answer - Mr Hogan said he had not seen this element of the contract...

Well, that is simply not good enough for a person who has huge resposibilities towards LFC and is paid huge money to protect the best interests of the club.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

So why Hogan signs a contract while he has not read it?

They asked him at the Court hearing:

Daniel Oudkerk QC, representing Boston-based sportswear company New Balance, said: 'If the first teams fails for any reason to compete in the group stages of the Champions League, there are various reductions to their contract and to the obligations. If that's right that would be very material to you wouldn't it, as commercial director you would want to know whether there were financial consequences for not being in the Champions League?'

Hogan's answer - Mr Hogan said he had not seen this element of the contract...

Well, that is simply not good enough for a person who has huge resposibilities towards LFC and is paid huge money to protect the best interests of the club.
Wondered when you’d come out of the woodwork with this news.

Hope in your heart

Admin

@MarcusBerglund put the link above, Hogan didn't cover himself with glory during the NB/Nike trial. Openly admitting to not know every detail of LFC's contract with Nike. Also, @Kopstar, @Lowton_Red and others have repeatedly pointed out how our commercial revenues haven't progressed at the same pace as our on-pitch progress, and that we haven't made any meaningful ground on man utd, cheaty or Chelsea, which is frankly a bit strange. That was Hogan's area of work.

Contrarily to what I thought when Moore was appointed, that one doesn't strike me as the most ambitious or smart one, but as said before, I'm willing to support fsg on this decision, as they have made a lot of things right in the last years.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I think the driver behind this is that FSG know that the operating environment is going to be difficult for the next 12 months or so and they will want to be more hands on with the day to day running than they might have otherwise been. Tough decisions to make etc. Moore is not an FSG man and I wasn't always convinced he had that much power or influence anyway. Moore's contract coming up for renewal gives them the opportunity to move Hogan in there. Hogan's an FSG guy and it was a job he was always destined to do. I share others reservations about his perfomance commercially. It's my one major gripe with FSG these days that we have not made the progress that we should have in this area given the size of the fanbase and the Klopp effect. Still, I doubt as fans we'll notice much difference. As long as JK is there all is good.

Limiescouse

I do wonder how long we’ll be able to keep Edwards before another team offers him a bigger title and he leaves for the advancement opportunity.
What bigger role is there? The only way for his role to be bigger would be to take the same role but at a club with a less well regarded and well covered manager so that he gets more of the credit (e.g. Monchi with whatever club he goes to). With everything we've heard about Edwards, he doesnt seem in it for that sort of praise.

iftikhar

Could it be that the Moore appointment was made with the plan to groom someone while he steers the club. While Moore himself wasn't available for a longer period due to personal or other issues.

It could be a natural succession process.

Not Worthy

What bigger role is there? The only way for his role to be bigger would be to take the same role but at a club with a less well regarded and well covered manager so that he gets more of the credit (e.g. Monchi with whatever club he goes to). With everything we've heard about Edwards, he doesnt seem in it for that sort of praise.
A club like Barcelona, desperately needs to gulp down the kind of smart thinking that Edwards has demonstrated.

Not that I'm advocating !!

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
@MarcusBerglund put the link above, Hogan didn't cover himself with glory during the NB/Nike trial. Openly admitting to not know every detail of LFC's contract with Nike. Also, @Kopstar, @Lowton_Red and others have repeatedly pointed out how our commercial revenues haven't progressed at the same pace as our on-pitch progress, and that we haven't made any meaningful ground on man utd, cheaty or Chelsea, which is frankly a bit strange. That was Hogan's area of work.

Contrarily to what I thought when Moore was appointed, that one doesn't strike me as the most ambitious or smart one, but as said before, I'm willing to support fsg on this decision, as they have made a lot of things right in the last years.
Swiss Ramble made the same point on commercial revenues.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Could it be that the Moore appointment was made with the plan to groom someone while he steers the club. While Moore himself wasn't available for a longer period due to personal or other issues.

It could be a natural succession process.
No, don't think so. The club had spent years trying to find someone to lead the company and they dont appear to be owners who do short term appointments.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Peter Moores moving on and Hogan taking over is start of a new cycle.

Moores, a Liverpudlian, helped bring the club together - the Football side, the city, the fans and commercial growth.

It seems like the next cycle of 3 or 4 years is take the club even higher up in terms of success and commercial value. Nike is a big part of this cycle - much as I am not too keen on Nike, we’ve just partnered with the biggest brand in sport - and one of the first deals with a 20% cut on sales .... a very progressive and forward thinking move.

But I think the future partnerships will all be record breaking, with Hogan as CEO.... I just hope our club does not lose its soul.

Interesting times, obviously the owners are looking at the future and are not settled with where we are now - which has got to be a good thing?

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
I just hope our club does not lose its soul.
We, the supporters, are the club’s soul.

As long as those in charge don’t piss us off- and the signs so far have been encouraging, in that the owners have been willing to listen to supporters’ opinions and engage in constructive dialogue- we’ll be fine.