• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Owners

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Klopp’s assessment when he arrived was that he inherited good players who had been well coached. They were already one of the most aggressive pressing teams in the league and players like Lallana, Can, Clyne, Milner, Sturridge, Coutinho etc. we’re integral to Klopp’s first couple of years.

They were not the players that Klopp would take to a league title, but they were they player Klopp took to the Champions league, and without that step, we don’t get Van Dijk, Alisson, Salah et al.
Klopp was praising Rodgers's work because that's what Klopp does. If the team was actually well-coached, the results and the performances would have been much better.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I mean BR would probably be never world class but whatever you think of him, just like even if in Leicester championship season be a flash in a pan, Ranieri will always be given credit. So even if BR did not do much for us, a 2nd place finish, the closest to being champions before Klopp, he has to be given some credit whether you think it's luck blah blah.

He was at least better than Roy Hodgson.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
There's some merit to this, but my viewpoint is basically this: It's nice to be nice!

Brendan Rodgers had and has his flaws, but since he was Liverpool manager, and since I'm a Liverpool fan, I will be gracious and give him as much benefit of the doubt as I reasonably can. That seems the Liverpool Way to me, from the fan POV.

So when I remember Rodgers, I will overlook the three envelopes, the self-portrait on the wall in that hideous documentary, the blarney the fella came out with, and also the fact that he got new teeth, slimmed down and binned the [fat] wife of his youth for a younger model...

I will choose to overlook all of that and remember the good times.

We played great football (not so much defensively - but still, overall great football) and almost landed that title. Ideally he would have come to us a little older, with some of the hubris knocked out of him, but such is life.

He was a Liverpool manager and he gave it his all. I cannot say he was shit.*

* There's only one former Liverpool manager I'll do that for, and obviously that's Roy Hodgson, but even then, it was a bad appointment in a tumultuous time with cowboys at the helm.
Agree with all of that, but I was very happy to see him leave. He should have been sacked immediately after getting hammered by Stoke.

Whilst he did well to nearly win the league, that was largely down to Suarez. Once he left, Rodgers' limitations became very apparent.

sandsoftime

I always believed that Rodgers used to work harder at hiding his management failings than he did at training the players..!

As is normal, we all know what our own weakness/s are, he obviously also knew what his limitations were better than most. Without reading through reams of individual examples.... two spring to mind quite readily.... a) Unlike Paisley, he could never alter from his Plan A during or within any game that needed change... B) Unlike Benitez, he did not have a clue how to set-up a team to play European games... (think Stevie G as a sub in the Madrid game...) it was as though rather than his limitations be exposed by setting out to win from the off... he pre planned his excuses for a defeat with the reserve players he put out to play...! It was as though he was frightened to fail by at least giving it a go... Still remains a mystery how Leicester failed to qualify for the Champions League after holding such a points advantage over Chelsea and Man.Utd following the Covid re-start.... maybe it suited him not to play against the big boys of Europe eh! Who knows..!!

He always appeared to me to have the one agenda... The one agenda that put himself first and foremost above any other interest for the club, the players, his own back-room staff... or the longevity for success to LFC.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Agree with all of that, but I was very happy to see him leave. He should have been sacked immediately after getting hammered by Stoke.

Whilst he did well to nearly win the league, that was largely down to Suarez. Once he left, Rodgers' limitations became very apparent.
If he’d been sacked after that game, we wouldn’t have got Klopp. He was obviously finished then but we had to wait for Jürgen.

StevenAlonso

Looks like we are skint after Corona..Since most of FSG businesses are sports related think the impact has been severe. Will take sometime for things to settle down. Every business has up and low cycles and football is a business.

gr_sounder

Looks like we are skint after Corona..Since most of FSG businesses are sports related think the impact has been severe. Will take sometime for things to settle down. Every business has up and low cycles and football is a business.
The club and management aren't skint.... they are cautious and don't want to spend where you don't have to.

I think part of relaxing the FFP rules by the Premier League is due to COVID.
I think another part is the fact that with Man City getting off completely free - why bother pushing for FFP if you can't really enforce it.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The club and management aren't skint.... they are cautious and don't want to spend where you don't have to.

I think part of relaxing the FFP rules by the Premier League is due to COVID.
I think another part is the fact that with Man City getting off completely free - why bother pushing for FFP if you can't really enforce it.
They're different cost control regimes but you're right that the CAS decision does have far reaching implications for the enforceability of all sporting regulations which are reliant on the good faith cooperation of the participants.