• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

THE REALITY

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Can see us getting 11 - beat Wigan, Southampton and Villa, draw with Swansea and West Ham.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
we will get at least 11 in the next 6 games.. this team is about to go on a roll.. the confidence should be up right now after stealing a point at the bridge that we had no business getting

Listen any team in the country can become superstars over night all you need is a rich investor.

Not really.. even if you have the richest owners like Man City.. you don't become superstars over night.. it takes time even for the richest owners... they got new owners what in 2008 I believe? and they win the league last season by spending loads of cash in many transfer windows

Armchair expert

TIA New Signing
Best case 9, worse case 0, possibly 3.
but we should take all 18
we can beat those teams every day of the week
its nothing to do with quality or depth or strikers etc etc
its belief
its been said over and over again, but if we played every match as if we were playing the mancs we'd be on number 19, 20 or 21 by now
we don't aim high enough imo
who was it that said if you aim for the stars you might hit the ceiling
if you aim for the ceiling you won't get off the ground
probably horribly misquoted, but you get the gist

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
The next 6 matches will be the true test for this season in my opinion. 3 Home games against very beatable teams and 3 Away against teams we can definitely beat.
If we we were to win the 3 Home matches and only lose one of the 3 Away matches that would definitely see us climb the table and would be a very positive sign for the team. Of course how high we climb would depend in part on other results too.

We have played positively in almost all of our matches this season. We should have beaten City at Home and the Bitters in The Derby. We played the Mancs tough and almost nicked all 3 points off Chavski at the Bridge.
When people try and point to Uncle Roy's record in relation to BR's the difference is that Roy had us playing negative, cowardly football with players like Paulson. BR never claimed to have invented 'pass and move' footy. He is just trying to make it work here like it has in the past.

None of us thinks that 13th in the League is good enough for LFC. But the overall signs are positive and with another solid 'star quality' finisher to help Suarez we would really be a strong side. With a healthy and fit Lucas back Allen will be free to do what he's best at (advanced playmaker) and be another attacker who can shoot and score goals.

So steady on, hold the line and all that, there's a lot of season left to play and we are just warming up!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
but we should take all 18
we can beat those teams every day of the week
its nothing to do with quality or depth or strikers etc etc
its belief
To take all 18 we should be a top tiered club. People are preaching that we should accept it, we are mid-table club, and no shame for being one because our history means nothing anymore. Our tradition as a club to win trophies and be the best means nothing, we should accept that fact.... said some people of course. So my prediction of best case, worse case and probably is geared towards us being a mid table club... not team, but club.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I refuse to get into this with you, Eddie. I just want it to be very clear to everyone that this is yet another instance of the way in which you subtly attack other posters and do things to wind them up. You're actually impressively good at it; you don't quote, which makes it less apparent, and you bring up things from other threads in different places so it's all spread out and hard to spot the pattern. You do it pathologically and consistently. You've sucked me down to your level with this kind of stuff before but I'm not going to play that game. You're better than this; I've seen you actually post some really insightful things instead of this snide, passive-aggressive, sarcastic crap.

Grow up and leave me alone.

Armchair expert

TIA New Signing
To take all 18 we should be a top tiered club. People are preaching that we should accept it, we are mid-table club, and no shame for being one because our history means nothing anymore. Our tradition as a club to win trophies and be the best means nothing, we should accept that fact.... said some people of course. So my prediction of best case, worse case and probably is geared towards us being a mid table club... not team, but club.
so we agree then
we can take all 18 points
because we are LFC
the most successful English football team of all time
winning is a state of mind
that's the difference between 18 points
and nothing

Armchair expert

TIA New Signing
Just a thought, but perhaps the reality is we now have 'mid-table mentality' fans
lack of belief
lack of faith

JackleCube

Being honest, I would be disappointed not to win all 3 home games; but I perhaps see difficulty against Wigan; they're hit and miss, sometimes they look like world beaters, other times they look like relegation fodder, so it's all down to the day really. If Southampton continue to lose until we play them, it'll probably be against us that they'll spring some sort of mini-revival, like so many other clubs have before, but now I'm just being pessimistic.

However, I think given where we are, and our current form, you'd have to be a huge optimist to believe we'll pick up many points against Spurs, WHU and Swansea, all away from home; Swansea schooled us in the League Cup, and I know it wasn't a full strength squad, but if they play that well again, it's not as if we have a bunch of worldy first-teamers to bring in, it'll be difficult at best. I predict us playing the Hammers off the park, but not scoring the goals, and due to the way they play, they'll probably lump a few long balls and get a big break. As for Spurs, I think they're weaker this year than last, but still a threat, if Defoe's on the pitch he'll be able to give our forwards a lesson in being clinical, because that's his strength, much opposite to ours.

JackleCube

Just a thought, but perhaps the reality is we now have 'mid-table mentality' fans
lack of belief
lack of faith
After watching the clubs huge fall from grace over the past half a decade, I'm not surprised many lack faith and belief, it's hard to have faith and belief when there are huge changes year in year out, who am I supposed to have faith in?

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
After watching the clubs huge fall from grace over the past half a decade, I'm not surprised many lack faith and belief, it's hard to have faith and belief when there are huge changes year in year out, who am I supposed to have faith in?
We need stability. We need some common sense at the club and none of repeats we saw this season with the transfer deadline shennanigans and some seriousness being shown by the owners towards this football club if we have ANY hope of qualifying for the CL.

We need 1-2 more TOP QUALITY players in the squad...and a lift in morale within the squad.

Armchair expert

TIA New Signing
I rest my case

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team

Chance to get a few points before January me thinks.
This has happened again-and-again for the last 3~4 seasons. We see the above fixture list (as fans) and we then just assume 15 points. In reality, we then usually pick up 5~6 points. On paper, it's great run, yet we can never seemingly capitalize on it.

Much is made of the fact that our first-choice Starting XI has always had the ability (over the years) to compete with the League's best (and maybe still retains that ability) and yet then somehow we always do fail against the lesser teams. The ultimate sign of a good team is simply to dispatch the lesser teams with ease, and not at all it's ability to raise it's game against the better sides. Players do generally tend to more readily be able to raise their games for the really big matches, raising it every game and against any opposition is far more complicated.

We have maybe been suckered into the notion that because our best XI can give the likes of Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal a tough game when it matters that all is well. No it's not.

We need to hammer those below us, and do it consistently, to really (start to) embark on the path to succeed

JackleCube

This has happened again-and-again for the last 3~4 seasons. We see the above fixture list (as fans) and we then just assume 15 points. In reality, we then usually pick up 5~6 points. On paper, it's great run, yet we can never seemingly capitalize on it.

Much is made of the fact that our first-choice Starting XI has always had the ability (over the years) to compete with the League's best (and maybe still retains that ability) and yet then somehow we always do fail against the lesser teams. The ultimate sign of a good team is simply to dispatch the lesser teams with ease, and not at all it's ability to raise it's game against the better sides. Players do generally tend to more readily be able to raise their games for the really big matches, raising it every game and against any opposition is far more complicated.

We have maybe been suckered into the notion that because our best XI can give the likes of Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal a tough game when it matters that all is well. No it's not.

We need to hammer those below us, and do it consistently, to really (start to) embark on the path to succeed
A worrying sign for the season ahead though must be that unlike previous seasons, we're not getting the results against the big teams now? I know we've put in some good performances, but last year we finished sixth after giving most of he top four a beating, yet this year we're not dispatching the poorer teams or beating the bigger either.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
A worrying sign for the season ahead though must be that unlike previous seasons, we're not getting the results against the big teams now? I know we've put in some good performances, but last year we finished sixth after giving most of he top four a beating, yet this year we're not dispatching the poorer teams or beating the bigger either.
We did?

FreakLFC

The reality is that we will not progress with players like Borini, Henderson, Downing. Lets get rid of them. I guess we all know that lol
Borini will come in and will take another 10 league came to 'practice' to get fit and get used to the league and give excuses for his injury. 5 clubs in 5 years. Not one goal and looks completely out of depth.

The reality is we cant go ahead with players who have changed 5 clubs in 5 years. They have no idea of team development. Makes me think of those naughty kids who got kicked out from school after school. Just getting the job done is not acceptable.

The reality is we can't go ahead with players who are managers favorites. eg Allen, Borini.
What would have been the problem had we not bought Allen? and used Henderson instead. Both would be playing in a different position compared to their natural. Why did we waste that 15. There is no difference between Hendo and Allen. Both similar physique and both are 'practicing'.What a waste of 15 million. Managers favourite.
Henderson = captain of England u21.
In my opinion Allen is not a better player. Anyway that's my opinion.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
'Freak', on what evidence do you base this opinion of Borini? Because the reality is that you come across as completely clueless.

I guess we should have expected so much more from a 21 year old playing in the Premier League for the first time.

FreakLFC

'Freak', on what evidence do you base this opinion of Borini? Because the reality is that you come across as completely clueless.

I guess we should have expected so much more from a 21 year old playing in the Premier League for the first time.
Lets buy more of these players. Lets give them Anfield to 'practice' and enhance their skills. Our main realistic aim is to make money and save money. League titles can come after 5 or 10 years. Lets make money first. Right?

OhYaBeauty

The reality is that we will not progress with players like Borini, Henderson, Downing. Lets get rid of them. I guess we all know that Borini will come in and will take another 10 league came to 'practice' to get fit and get used to the league and give excuses for his injury. 5 clubs in 5 years. Not one goal and looks completely out of depth.

The reality is we cant go ahead with players who have changed 5 clubs in 5 years. They have no idea of team development. Makes me think of those naughty kids who got kicked out from school after school. Just getting the job done is not acceptable.

The reality is we can't go ahead with players who are managers favorites. eg Allen, Borini.
What would have been the problem had we not bought Allen? and used Henderson instead. Both would be playing in a different position compared to their natural. Why did we waste that 15. There is no difference between Hendo and Allen. Both similar physique and both are 'practicing'.What a waste of 15 million. Managers favourite.
Henderson = captain of England u21.
In my opinion Allen is not a better player. Anyway that's my opinion.
You just made Borini sound like a washed up Nicolas Anelka without a goalscoring record. You say he's been at 5 different clubs in 5 years, you insinuate that he hasn't got a goalscoring record to think of, you insinuate that he's a naughty boy who gets kicked out of schools.

Fact is, he's a consummate professional who has a reputation for putting Kuyt-esque amounts of mileage in, limiting extracurriculars in order to focus on his football, and helping out the team on both sides of the ball. He's a full Italian international at 21 years old who's scored goals everywhere he's been in his career so far. He's been a bit maligned in his Liverpool career because he's only managed one goal in 5 games (you should note that he spent a couple of those games running around with an injured foot) which realistically isn't a bad return for a young player settling into a new system.

Before you go saying he'll never come good here and we're buying mid-table players, stop and give him a chance. He's 21 for Christ's sake

Arminius

FSG PR plant
You just made Borini sound like a washed up Nicolas Anelka without a goalscoring record. You say he's been at 5 different clubs in 5 years, you insinuate that he hasn't got a goalscoring record to think of, you insinuate that he's a naughty boy who gets kicked out of schools.

Fact is, he's a consummate professional who has a reputation for putting Kuyt-esque amounts of mileage in, limiting extracurriculars in order to focus on his football, and helping out the team on both sides of the ball. He's a full Italian international at 21 years old who's scored goals everywhere he's been in his career so far. He's been a bit maligned in his Liverpool career because he's only managed one goal in 5 games (you should note that he spent a couple of those games running around with an injured foot) which realistically isn't a bad return for a young player settling into a new system.

Before you go saying he'll never come good here and we're buying mid-table players, stop and give him a chance. He's 21 for Christ's sake

I dunno, a poster who managed to pick up a ban in his first 20 posts or so is probably entitled to rush to judgement...

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Lets buy more of these players. Lets give them Anfield to 'practice' and enhance their skills. Our main realistic aim is to make money and save money. League titles can come after 5 or 10 years. Lets make money first. Right?
Exactly. That's actually precisely what I was implying when I defended a 21 year old against unfair and premature criticism.

:sad11:

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Also, Borini has been at 5 clubs in the last 11 years, one of which was on loan at the ripe age of 19/20.

He looks far older than he is, but the reality is that he's only a year older than me. Astounding to realise that.

FreakLFC

I have nothing against Borini. Top lad. Bla Bla

My point is the way things are shaping up at LFC! I had to use the name Borini, Allen etc.
Look at the big 5? Would they have bought Borini? Unheard of before he came to LFC. Only heard by Brendan. Taught by Brendan before. There was no competition whatsoever to sign this lad. No competition. No competition. No competition. Brendan got him thinking he will be a player to quickly adapt. I am saying this because most managers have shown a track record of buying previous players they have coached. No proof needed.

We are out and about looking for more and more mid table players, who might be able to someday challenge the likes of Rooney, RVP, Ba, Tevez, Dzeko, Aguero. Its a shame we cant even think of players of such calibre.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Football changes so quickly. So quickly. Today's borini is tomorrows van Perdue, you just have to get it right, but you can't NOT try.

Borini might end up being a midtable footballer, but he's worth a shot in the here and now. 21, played for Italy, 10 goals in a league governed by defenses.

Borini might not be the answer, but at least we've tried to answer the question. Not cry and moan because we can't attract the van presses of the world.

Just ease up a touch