• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

THE REALITY

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Football changes so quickly. So quickly. Today's borini is tomorrows van Perdue, you just have to get it right, but you can't NOT try.

Borini might end up being a midtable footballer, but he's worth a shot in the here and now. 21, played for Italy, 10 goals in a league governed by defenses.

Borini might not be the answer, but at least we've tried to answer the question. Not cry and moan because we can't attract the van presses of the world.

Just ease up a touch
You made me blush....:)

Also, Borini has been at 5 clubs in the last 11 years, one of which was on loan at the ripe age of 19/20.

He looks far older than he is, but the reality is that he's only a year older than me. Astounding to realise that.
And already an Italian international at that. And very suave.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The reality is that we will not progress with players like Borini, Henderson, Downing. Lets get rid of them. I guess we all know that lol (...)

The reality is we can't go ahead with players who are managers favorites. eg Allen, Borini.
What would have been the problem had we not bought Allen? and used Henderson instead. Both would be playing in a different position compared to their natural. Why did we waste that 15. There is no difference between Hendo and Allen. Both similar physique and both are 'practicing'.What a waste of 15 million. Managers favourite.
Henderson = captain of England u21.
In my opinion Allen is not a better player. Anyway that's my opinion.
Hmmm, there are some blatant contradictions in your post.

First, you begin with a statement that we won't go anywhere with Henderson (slating off a 22-years old who is still learning at top level), but then you slate Rodgers for bringing in Allen and playing him ahead of Henderson who is England's U21 captain as you say. How does this sum up? (scratches head...)

Then you go on with Borini, another young player you're happy to dismiss before he has even started to show what he can do for us, by stating that his numerous moves show that he must not be good enough. But are you aware of the fact that BR took him to Liverpool because he impressed him so much at Swansea? He didn't do too badly at Roma after that, with 10 goals in 26 appearances...

Frankly, that post is cr*p and bin-worthy. You should learn to develop your patience and loyalty for things related to LFC, not slating off players who still can come good for us.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
He is young, inexperienced and prone to making silly mistakes. He is a bit rash and his decision making a little suspect. Of course he's going to be frustrating and irritating. But maybe if we give him time he can become a good addition.

But enough about FreakLFC. I think Borini has all the tools to be a great player. He has a good record in Italy, and Chelsea were gutted to lose him. We need to be patient with this one.

DEVGRU

I still, honestly believe Henderson is going through a crisis of confidence. He is not a bad player. He is not a crap player either. But he is going through a bad patch and it doesn't help he isn't getting into the starting 11.

I think there is still a lot more to come from Henderson. And we haven't seen the best of him thus far.

He offers versatility, has an excellent work ethic and an excellent work rate and can run like a horse for 90 minutes.

He is young. Be patient.

rab

I have nothing against Borini. Top lad. Bla Bla

My point is the way things are shaping up at LFC! I had to use the name Borini, Allen etc.
Look at the big 5? Would they have bought Borini? Unheard of before he came to LFC. Only heard by Brendan. Taught by Brendan before. There was no competition whatsoever to sign this lad. No competition. No competition. No competition. Brendan got him thinking he will be a player to quickly adapt. I am saying this because most managers have shown a track record of buying previous players they have coached. No proof needed.

We are out and about looking for more and more mid table players, who might be able to someday challenge the likes of Rooney, RVP, Ba, Tevez, Dzeko, Aguero. Its a shame we cant even think of players of such calibre.
How many people were after Hernandez when he went to United? Zero I think.

Had anyone else really heard of him? Nope.

Would he get in our first eleven? Yup.

It's not about signing big names, its about signing good players. Falcao was once a little known striker in Argentina, how much competition did Porto have to sign him? He turned out alright though.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Devgru glad to see someone siding with a player who is not quite cutting it at the moment, For this is the main problem we have, A lot of the younger players are being expected to be the finished artical because of the money spent on them, most of them given time will come good, but here is what I think maybe the real problem with in the side, whilest we have JC and SG as experanced players and possably Pepe, we don't have an older player to give guidence to the younger players, While it is good to see we have a good young squad it also needs to be balance by older more wiser heads, we lack that at the moment so some are expecting too much from the younger players.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
How many people were after Hernandez when he went to United? Zero I think.

Had anyone else really heard of him? Nope.

Would he get in our first eleven? Yup.

It's not about signing big names, its about signing good players. Falcao was once a little known striker in Argentina, how much competition did Porto have to sign him? He turned out alright though.
A very good point here and you have to ask your self this, If you read in the papers or see reports on TV saying Scout from ...... (insert any club) is watching said player. Then what you should be thinking who is it they are really watching. How many times do you see a young kid being watch by the big clubs across Europe only never to be heard of again.There is aways a player who has gone under the radar and when they are spoted after the event it's easy to say we should have been in for him, for me thats the trick for the scouts spotting them before someone else does. We seem to miss out too many times simply because the scout maynot be upto the job.

DEVGRU

Devgru glad to see someone siding with a player who is not quite cutting it at the moment, For this is the main problem we have, A lot of the younger players are being expected to be the finished artical because of the money spent on them, most of them given time will come good, but here is what I think maybe the real problem with in the side, whilest we have JC and SG as experanced players and possably Pepe, we don't have an older player to give guidence to the younger players, While it is good to see we have a good young squad it also needs to be balance by older more wiser heads, we lack that at the moment so some are expecting too much from the younger players.
The size of his transfer fee isn't helping Henderson one bit either.

A very good point here and you have to ask your self this, If you read in the papers or see reports on TV saying Scout from ...... (insert any club) is watching said player. Then what you should be thinking who is it they are really watching. How many times do you see a young kid being watch by the big clubs across Europe only never to be heard of again.There is aways a player who has gone under the radar and when they are spoted after the event it's easy to say we should have been in for him, for me thats the trick for the scouts spotting them before someone else does. We seem to miss out too many times simply because the scout maynot be upto the job.
Scouting didn't do too badly with Suso, Pachecho, Sterling of late.

It's can be a hit and miss affair. And let's not forget, there is no guarrantee a player wants to come to Liverpool FC these days. Especially since the internet has made things so much more competitive and how the big clubs are also looking high and low for the next Messi, Gerrard, Kaka, Ronaldo or Iniesta...it's not easy.

rab

I agree it's up to the scouts to spot better players earlier on in their careers. Most scouting these days is done by video as every game pretty much in the world is available to the club to have on tape so it's less and less likely you'll see scouts and managers at games. If a manager is spotted at a game that doesn't relate to an up coming schedule you can bet that the club has already made moves for that player and it's sign to the player of how keen they are to get them in.

It's not about finding the next Messi or Ronaldo as such but more like identifying and moving for players like Jelavic, Miralles, Cisse, Cabaye, Hernandez etc before they are picked up by our rivals. Good players looking to take that next step up to become great players but are available for reasonable sums of money, just like Reina, Agger, Skrtl and Lucas.

lancashirelad

We have a mid table team, but not a mid table club.

If we lose Suarez next summer, then I'd be looking to agree with you Equiliser. We're definitely on the road to mid table mediocrity, but it IS possible to pull us out of the tail spin.

We need backing from higher up, and to get rid of players who are chewing up wages for nothing to leave. They are holding us back. We then need to back the manager with players who will fit his system and have the right mentality, like Suarez and Osama, and then put faith in our young manager to pull the team back up the table.

For all those people talking about Everton not at a higher level than us, and that Europa League is not at West Brom's level are flawed. The LFC fans of the early 90's thought we would get back to where we once were, and the Leeds fan of a decade ago never thought they would be where they are in 2012. Let's not even think about Rangers.

It can happen to us.
We might be a mid table team, but we're the third most watched team since the PL began, says a lot about us, the fans and the status of the club. The League needs us to be in the top 4, its good for them and us, they will get more TV revenue and we'll get trophy's and world class players, but boy have these past 4 years been tough on us all.

Attachments

K

Kev

I agree it's up to the scouts to spot better players earlier on in their careers. Most scouting these days is done by video as every game pretty much in the world is available to the club to have on tape so it's less and less likely you'll see scouts and managers at games. If a manager is spotted at a game that doesn't relate to an up coming schedule you can bet that the club has already made moves for that player and it's sign to the player of how keen they are to get them in.

It's not about finding the next Messi or Ronaldo as such but more like identifying and moving for players like Jelavic, Miralles, Cisse, Cabaye, Hernandez etc before they are picked up by our rivals. Good players looking to take that next step up to become great players but are available for reasonable sums of money, just like Reina, Agger, Skrtl and Lucas.
This is spot on. We talk about the fact that top level players won't come here, and that's entirely true at the moment. But clubs around us are picking up quality players that aren't on other clubs radars. Why on earth are we so incapable of doing this? Moyes has been doing it for years. Newcastle have done it well. Even West Brom and Swansea have found a few gems. We don't seem to catch on until they are playing against us in our own league. It's a joke. Our scouting network is probably one of the poorest aspects of our club.Imagine the calibre and quantity of players we could have got with that cash that was spunked last year from around the world.

But no, better scour the corners of England for the likes of Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson. They're English don't you know. Will settle much better than those pesky foreigners.

lancashirelad

Once upon a time Liverpool were a prestigious club in world football. Though our history still stands tall, it has been an embarrassing season so far.
I, for one, am tired of living in the past, how many times have I watched the 2005 game, many more than I should
Our countless league titles and five European Cups make us a football institution and as Kenny said when he left, he at least got a trophy in the cabinet. Other clubs fans would die for that right now.
So when did Liverpool fall from grace? The facts don't lie; 8th position in the Premier League behind Newcastle and especially Everton is not an acceptable position for a team of Liverpool’s stature.
Yes, we won the League Cup, but it was a narrow victory over Championship side Cardiff City on penalties.
Manchester City and Chelsea (who Liverpool beat en route to winning the trophy) would argue that they prioritized other competitions and put weaker sides out.
City went on to win the title whilst Chelsea won the FA Cup and European Cup. Are our priorities simply wrong? After all, what would we rather have? Champions League qualification but no silverware, or an eighth place finish with a League Cup in the bag? Though cups are good, the Champions League allows a club to evolve and improve.
That is the fundamental problem with Liverpool; we've stopped evolving. big decisions have to be made, I wish I was insightful enough to know what they are.
Offloading Fernando Torres at the right price was probably the right decision for Liverpool considering he wanted to move on, but the £50m from his sale was very poorly invested.
United and Arsenal have built teams with their transfer money. Javier Hernandez at around £7m, Ashley Young at £16m, Chris Smalling at around £10m and so on.
Arsenal won't usually go above the £10m mark, whereas Liverpool went gung-ho; Andy Carroll at £35m and Luis Suarez at around £24m, whilst Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing were ridiculously overpriced near or around the £20m mark each. Those players are not worth a combined total of nearly £100m.
It is staggering to believe that Liverpool have lost their kit sponsorship too, following poor performances in the 2011-2012 season. Adidas even stated very publicly that Liverpool's status had declined and did not match the ambitions Adidas wanted or to be associated with.
Whilst Brendan Rodgers may turn out to be a top manager in the future, he has not set the world alight thus far. Time will tell, but we should not be playing pretty football at this stage of the season, or in our position in the league, they had enough matches at Anfield this calendar year, good performances, but the wrong results.
It pains me to write this, but I have been a Liverpool fan for 45 years and I have never been so pessimistic about our future and future games. I look at the fixture list at the beginning, as most fans do, and mentally go through the games...
Win...
Draw.....
Win...
Draw etc etc
But now it's
Draw...
Lose...(might draw with luck)
Draw...
It's not right that we should be looking for a draw at Spurs or anywhere else, we're Liverpool, great, mighty, proud, traditional, family, honors, prestige, massive press coverage, feared in Europe, and now....
What have we become?

Attachments

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
We are liverpool FC, the mightiest team in Europe, with loads of history, Anfield is a fortress and opposing player would really injure themselves than to play against us.

Now, the reality is we are no longer that.

But it does not mean, we cannot be that again. The reality has happened and it is now up to us to believe that we can be that again. Nobody can tell you when or where. Back when we first won the first title in our history, can you imagine those fans who have been supporting the club for 20 years? Would they have known that we would become one of the best, if not the best, clubs in the world? They did not but they persisted. We were on top once, but being on top is a privilege not an entitlement. We now have to behave like the fans back in the old years and persist with the club believing one day, we will be at the top.

DEVGRU

The REALITY of it all is, we need to get rid of 3-4 players who aren't doing us any good and to bring in 3-4 TOP CLASS/WORLD CLASS/GOOD LOOKIN players who will change this team into a top team..not that we are too far away from that status BUT we need to be realistic..carra, steven are getting to that stage where we should be now looking for the next Gerrard to carry the mantle because Allen and Lucas are not Steven Gerrard.

We need hungry players...who want to play for us and are top class....

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We might be a mid table team, but we're the third most watched team since the PL began, says a lot about us, the fans and the status of the club. The League needs us to be in the top 4, its good for them and us, they will get more TV revenue and we'll get trophy's and world class players, but boy have these past 4 years been tough on us all.
Well if we don't start improving, we will be seeing ourselves dropping off that table. Leave us in the 8-12th post in the next couple of years and we will see lesser time on the tele.

lancashirelad

Well if we don't start improving, we will be seeing ourselves dropping off that table. Leave us in the 8-12th post in the next couple of years and we will see lesser time on the tele.
Completely agree, we're just not a team that kids follow any more, here (in San Diego) I see Sh8te., Cheskie and Barcelona shirts on kids, been a while since I saw a kid in a Liverpool shirt, we're losing not only our present but also our future