The run in, managing our last 7 to 10 matches

Dane

NEXT!
A lot of our players are hitting form at the right time of the season,cool,calm and collected which is the complete opposite of me whilst watching us play,being anxious is so fucking exhausting.
I'm enjoying every fucking minute of this, it's like a never ending rollercoaster, with free beer thrown in.

I'm lucky in a sense, but not as lucky as some of the local lads.
I've seen us win multiple league titles, but not as a match going fan or with this amount of easily accessible TV coverage.

2009 and 2014 had a a lot of excitement to it, but this season is a completely different monster.
How can anyone not be enjoying this?
If we come up short, I'll be proud as punch but I'm prepared mentally for possible disappointment.

Fowler's Left Peg

I normally post this in the season comparison thread but this seems a more suitable place.

Our final 6 games have been decided, City's run in just got slightly less congested, shame lol

I think its massive now that City drop points in the next 3, they will be bang at it for the last 2 with the recovery days.

Wouldn't mind seeing that 2nd leg against Barca move to the Wednesday but it won't happen.

Thoughts?

Dane

NEXT!
Wouldn't mind seeing that 2nd leg against Barca move to the Wednesday but it won't happen.

Thoughts?
They have scheduled it for the Tuesday, fully aware that we are playing Newcastle at 1630 on the Sunday. Uefa wont change it now.
Surely the Premier League/Sky have to move us back to the Saturday?
Wouldn't bet on it though.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
They have scheduled it for the Tuesday, fully aware that we are playing Newcastle at 1630 on the Sunday. Uefa wont change it now.
They will (the Sunday 1630 was subject to champions league games) - my guess is it will be 745pm Saturday.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
You mean Sky and Premier League to do us a favour and championing our cause to beat Barcelona? Is that what you’re hoping to see? A man can really dream....

RedForever2014

Fantastic performance last night, especially in the conditions. The first half hour was to be expected, but we didn't buckle. Our keeper had a lot to do with that, superb handling of a wet ball. Matip also deserves a lot of credit for his performance.

Performances like last night show the value of having many players mid to late 20s, seasoned internationals with experience of going deep into competitions. Keep this group together and we can do this time and time again over the next five years.

With us getting the Wednesday/Tuesday semi, there will be no choice but to move Newcastle to Saturday. That's going to be a tough week.

It means we have four days off after Huddersfield before the away leg and four days after the second leg before Wolves, but Barce away on Wed, Newcastle Saturday and Barce Tuesday will be a bitch.

I was glad to see City go out, Juve too, both would have been tough finals if we get there. It does ease City's PL challenge, we just have to hope they drop points in the Spurs, United, Burnley match sequence. They'll be well rested before Leicester and Brighton.

The ideal would be for them to drop enough points for us to be able to drop points at Newcastle, but I can't see that now. If we're lucky they'll drop points in one match.

In terms of managing our resources, it's great to have Gomez back (Lovren too) as viable rotation in defence. We have that in midfield too, it's just up top there's an issue, especially with Origi not really taking his chance last night.

I think we should go with the Fab, Hendo, Keita midfield at Cardiff, then give Fab a rest against Huddersfield ahead of a busy week. Hendo/Keita and Gini/Milner can keep the two additional midfield positions fresh.

Maybe we can also use Origi against Huddersfield and look to bring off Mo and Mane if we're sufficiently ahead.

Clearly Sunday is crucial, coming between City's matches with Spurs and United. All we can do in the PL now, is keep it live until the last day by winning our matches.

Dane

NEXT!
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47974015

Liverpool and Tottenham have had the dates for their Champions League semi-finals confirmed by Uefa.
Spurs will host Dutch side Ajax in the first leg on Tuesday, 30 April, with the second leg in Amsterdam on Wednesday, 8 May.
Liverpool will travel to Barcelona for their first leg on Wednesday, 1 May before hosting the Spanish side in the reverse fixture on Tuesday, 7 May.
The dates will mean changes to Premier League fixtures for both teams.

The Reds are scheduled to to play a Premier League game at Newcastle United at 16:30 BST on Sunday, 7 May - two days before the second leg.
Spurs are meant to be playing at Bournemouth at 20:00 BST on Monday 6 May, which again is two days before the second leg of their semi-final.

RedForever2014

Is there any news on the Newcastle match? It was suggested it'll move to Saturday evening, but nothing has changed on the fixture list.

Can't believe the PL would make us play Sunday with a CL semi Tuesday.

Dane

NEXT!
Can't believe the PL would make us play Sunday with a CL semi Tuesday.
They shouldn't, but Sky will have a big say in it, given that they've forked out cash to show the game live.
Sky wont give a fuck about our CL game, given that they have no screening rights to that competition.
Be interesting to see what re-arrangements are made for Spurs too.

It will all be handled equally and fairly though, wont it?

lfc.8

After watching that game earlier on, I'm going out on a limb here.
No way are City winning their last 4 games, they are fucking spent.

We are rampant with tails well and truly up, it's ours.
This year they've won all games in the league with just the one loss to Newcastle. Certainly about time they drop some points.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I normally post this in the season comparison thread but this seems a more suitable place.

Our final 6 games have been decided, City's run in just got slightly less congested, shame lol

I think its massive now that City drop points in the next 3, they will be bang at it for the last 2 with the recovery days.

Thoughts?

With the above in mind, for league only, this is what I think each opposing team has to play for:

Cardiff (A) - Avoid relegation.
Huddersfield (H) - Professional pride (already relegated)
Newcastle (A) - Professional pride or Avoid relegation (At time of game, should be safe)
Wolves (H) - Europa League.

ManU (A) - Champions League and Derby Pride.
Burnley (A) - Avoid relegation (At time of game, relegation safety too close to call)
Leicester (H) - Europa League.
Brighton (A) - Professional pride or Avoid relegation (Should be close to relegation spot)

reds_for_sure

TIA New Signing
The Manchester Derby will probably be watched by all the top 6 teams supporters for all sorts of reasons. I am sure the viewership will sky rocket to the highest. A Tottenham defeat today might just work in our favour in the upcoming run. All we need is the Mancs doing the job for us and then not ending in top 4. :celebrating::-) And Gomez getting a good run in could potentially free up Virgil van Dijk in the home games atleast.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
With the above in mind, for league only, this is what I think each opposing team has to play for:

Cardiff (A) - Avoid relegation.
Newcastle (A) - Professional pride or Avoid relegation (At time of game, should be safe)

ManU (A) - Champions League and Derby Pride.
Burnley (A) - Avoid relegation (At time of game, relegation safety too close to call)
Brighton (A) - Professional pride or Avoid relegation (Should be close to relegation spot)
What opponents are playing for (updated as per our win at Cardiff):

For Liverpool:
Newcastle (A) - Professional pride (Safe from relegation)

For them others:
ManU (A) - Champions League (They need a win, or at the very least a draw), Derby Pride, a response to the Everton battering.
Burnley (A) - Avoid relegation (Very close to avoiding the drop, yet they need to take points sooner rather than later.)
Brighton (A) - As it stands, it looks like this is a relegation battle.

RedForever2014

So we have five matches left, three at home, two away. City have five matches left (including the Cup Final), four of which are away.

I see that City's Leicester match has been moved to the Monday, so is now after we play Newcastle rather than before, which some might think is a favour to them.

Any Champions League final would be so far from our last PL match, that it is completely separate to planning for the other five matches.

With five days between yesterday and Huddersfield, then five days to Barcelona, and five days between the second leg and Wolves, it's clear that the Newcastle match is the most difficult to manage, given that we'll go full strength in both matches against Barcelona.

In terms of what full strength is, I think we could see Gomez challenge TAA for the right back slot in a 'best 11', given TAA's inconsistency just now. Matip, VVD and Robertson and nailed on unless they get injured.

Midfield is really the only area where what constitutes our best three can be debated. Personally I think it's Fabinho, Henderson and Gini.

For Huddersfield we can go full strength if we choose, but we ought to consider getting match fitness into the legs of players who we might use at Newcastle, and perhaps rest a few players who might play the three matches in six days.

We could play Gomez, Lovren and Milner in defence against Huddersfield. At the very least I expect to see Gomez start, hopefully getting 90 minutes into his legs. It's hard to leave out any of the front three against Huddersfield, given the opportunity to attack our deficit in goal difference versus City. That said, there is a case for Origi starting, although I wouldn't be starting Sturridge or Shaqiri.

Fabinho might get a rest until Barcelona given his knock, and as he should be playing the three matches that week. If Milner is at left back, that would mean Hendo, Gini and Keita starting as they did yesterday.

For Huddersfield I think we should go Alisson, Gomez, Lovren, VVD, Milner, Hendo, Gini, Keita, Bobby, Mane, Salah. If we're 3 or 4 up by the hour we can use three from the likes of Origi, Shaqiri, Lallana, Robertson (to release Milner into midfield), to give three of the starting midfielders and forwards a breather.

For Barcelona (injuries permitting) I think we should go Alisson, TAA, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Bobby, Mo, Mane.

At Newcastle we might chance the same defence as against Huddersfield, but most likely will keep Matip and Robertson in the side. I'd give Gomez another start at right back though. Midfield would maybe be Fabinho, Milner and Keita, whilst the front three could see Origi start for Bobby.

For Newcastle I think we should go Alisson, Gomez, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Origi, Mane, Salah. If it's going wrong we can use Bobby, Hendo and Gini from the bench.

In the second leg I'd go with the same side as the first leg, except maybe have Gomez in there for TAA.

Obviously that means VVD, Mane and Mo don't get a rest over the four matches, but they are the only three we can't really not start given the level of those we'd replace them with. The same is true of Bobby, but his industry is partly covered by a rotating midfield.

Clearly City's results might influence things further. If they beat United and Burnley we might take more of a risk at Newcastle. That's why it's a shame the City match with Leicester has moved. That's the last real chance City will drop points, and if we knew the outcome before Newcastle we might pick a slightly different side.

Last edited: