• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The run in - our greatest day?

RedForever2014

Whenever I hear the Take That song, Greatest Day, my mind wanders to dreams of the day LFC finally secures the Premier League title.

Funnily enough, we have near enough 24 hours of Premier League football to play this season. That's 15 matches x 95 minutes (normally 1 minute at the end of the first half and 4 at the end of the second half) = 1425 minutes / 60 minutes = 23.75 hours.

So when we kick off against Leicester, will it be the start of our greatest day?

It's certainly the last 24 hours of Premier League football of the season, so it seems a good point to consider as the start of the run in, following our little midwinter break.

It starts of course with the graveyard shift until 6am, a quarter of what remains, which basically is Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth and then the trip to United.

There are certainly some grisly ghouls for our super heroes to smash their way past. Vardy reminds me of the type of character you'd see lurking in the shadows in Scooby Doo, Harry Maguire looks like Lurch in the Adams Family. A scary pair.

Going to United is always a trip to Fergie's self nominated hell, a wholly appropriate comment, a Freudian slip even, given that the referee always seems to have done a deal with the red devil.

Get through that shift and our breakfast club can start their day. Watford at home follows shortly after our return from hell, let's hope the Hornets don't have a sting in their tail.

Then there's our trip across the park to the cesspit of envy and bitterness and its pack of rabid dogs, a montage of twisted, bulging and contorted faces. At least we have three days off before that, unlike two last season.

Hopefully Everton will be our mid morning snack, which we'll need to properly digest before the stomach churning Sean Dyche comes into view. I'm sure he was a beautiful baby, but something clearly went wrong during his childhood. As the standard bearer of the envy culture in the UK today, and its thuggish culture, I'm sure he'll have his boys try and break another leg or two ahead of our crucial CL match midweek.

Fulham away completes the run up to lunch, after which we can all have a little siesta, even if our boys have to work through it in their second pointless jobs for their respective countries.

After lunch, Harry Horse Face Vain comes trotting into town, no doubt fully prepped and prepared after diving his way through the international break, whilst the national media turns a blind eye and instead reports vociferously on every false move by Salah for Egypt.

If we're still in the Champions League this is when it'll start to get tricky, with intense midweek matches and then must win weekend ones.

A long trip to Southampton before a potential CL QF first leg, then Chelsea before any second leg, then another long trip to Cardiff, would certainly be intense if we get past Munich.

Our boys will certainly need a good early evening meal before the final sequence starting with Huddersfield, a potential CL semi midweek, another long trip to Newcastle before any second leg, then the final PL match at home against Wolves.

Of course still being in the Champions League by then is no sure thing, but the TV schedulers have obviously yet to set the time and date for those matches, clearly waiting to see what CL commitments we have so they can work out how to make things even more difficult for us.

So when the clock strikes midnight, one wonders whether this next sequence will indeed be our greatest day.

Imagine just imagine, when Take That visit on 6th June, that song echoing around Anfield with extra and special meaning.

24 hours to go. I kind of wish I could just box set binge it Netflix style, and get it over with!

Last edited:

LaurazRed

That's an interesting way of putting it. You pretty much summed how I feel about the run in, I want to enjoy it, or at least try. Part of me wants to get it over with. I suppose like ripping off a plaster, we've come so close before and that was without such a dominant City side, I'd love to do it especially with this side - under Jürgen.

Red over the water

Interesting way of looking at it, thanks. I’m not familiar with the song so I’ll give it a listen.

Here’s the point where I might sound like a miserable old sod as I adopt some sort of Ronnie Moran persona... here’s a box of medals, take one if you think you deserve it... (great man and legend).

Anyway, 15 games to go is an awfully long time. I’m made up we are 4 points ahead but that can all change quickly. We might keep our noses in front all the way to the finish line now, or we might get pipped at the post, or we might fall away, or run strong to win by 4-5 lengths, or then again the lead might change a couple of times between now and the finish line. Don’t know why I jumped to horse racing!

All that is to say we really have to look at it one game at a time. We all know that, and it has been a mantra at Liverpool since the old boot room days. I’m as guilty as anyone in mapping it all out, and like a lot of fans I start to imagine what we will get, and where. For example, a resurgent Man Utd would love to beat us. And Everton have a decent team and gave us a real test in the last derby, and they would love to knock us down a peg or two. They are my two ‘fears’ but there could easily be more, lurking in wait. We are the league leaders and more of a ‘scalp’ or target. And on and on it goes.

And what’s to say we won’t have a very unfortunate injury to a main man? OK we have a few right now, mostly in the defence, but it wasn’t VVD, or Alisson, or Salah. A couple of weeks ago Tottenham were going well and there was talk of a three way battle for the title. Kane and Dele are injured now, and they are out of both domestic cups, and all of a sudden Pochettino is talking about the battle for top four, and saying Spurs’ glory days are so far behind them that the images are in black and white.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this, other than to remind us all what we all know anyway, and say one game at a time. Three points against Leicester and then let’s see what’s what.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Personally, I'm partying now as if you can't enjoy where we are and what we're doing, why bother? The key question is what day (days?) do we book off work? We're going to need a TIA party and it's going to be goooooood :)

Red over the water

I am definitely enjoying this! I watch every game and I’m as excited a puppy with it all. I remember as far back as when Keegan left and Kenny came in. I didn’t see the great sides before that, but my dad did. But since I’ve been a red I’ve seen a lot of success. But that title... it’s been far too long! Hopefully this will be our year. I’m excited about what is happening at the club and very much enjoying it all.

dockers_strike

I think we set a club record for the most number of points in the first half of the season. We have to vitually do that all over again to win the title. Im under no illusion how difficult it will be especially when we get diverted by the CL starting again so. I make no secret of the fact Im desparate for the title. Jurgen has to look at things differently to me. But I just cannot counternance anything getting in the way and derailing our title fight.

I read the other day some ticket sites wanting 6 grand for a ticket to the last home game against Wolves. No way am I looking to cash in on mine.

RedForever2014

Interesting way of looking at it, thanks. I’m not familiar with the song so I’ll give it a listen.

Here’s the point where I might sound like a miserable old sod as I adopt some sort of Ronnie Moran persona... here’s a box of medals, take one if you think you deserve it... (great man and legend).

Anyway, 15 games to go is an awfully long time. I’m made up we are 4 points ahead but that can all change quickly. We might keep our noses in front all the way to the finish line now, or we might get pipped at the post, or we might fall away, or run strong to win by 4-5 lengths, or then again the lead might change a couple of times between now and the finish line. Don’t know why I jumped to horse racing!

All that is to say we really have to look at it one game at a time. We all know that, and it has been a mantra at Liverpool since the old boot room days. I’m as guilty as anyone in mapping it all out, and like a lot of fans I start to imagine what we will get, and where. For example, a resurgent Man Utd would love to beat us. And Everton have a decent team and gave us a real test in the last derby, and they would love to knock us down a peg or two. They are my two ‘fears’ but there could easily be more, lurking in wait. We are the league leaders and more of a ‘scalp’ or target. And on and on it goes.

And what’s to say we won’t have a very unfortunate injury to a main man? OK we have a few right now, mostly in the defence, but it wasn’t VVD, or Alisson, or Salah. A couple of weeks ago Tottenham were going well and there was talk of a three way battle for the title. Kane and Dele are injured now, and they are out of both domestic cups, and all of a sudden Pochettino is talking about the battle for top four, and saying Spurs’ glory days are so far behind them that the images are in black and white.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this, other than to remind us all what we all know anyway, and say one game at a time. Three points against Leicester and then let’s see what’s what.
Yes I understand that, long way to go. I was mainly analysing the journey ahead, rather than taking the outcome for granted.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
This thread reminds me of the TV series 24 with Jack Bauer.

One thing I do know that it's going to be nail biting and tense. I'm so grateful that we are here - someone offered this position at the start of the season...... well like most, it really is like we are dreaming.

City are looking formidable again, and we've ended up scraping past Brighton and Palace. But the next 3 games for City should be more challenging, and a slip up or 3 would be most welcome.

Well, 24 hours to go. Starring Jurgen Klopp.

RedYank

One thing I do know that it's going to be nail biting and tense. I'm so grateful that we are here - someone offered this position at the start of the season...... well like most, it really is like we are dreaming.

City are looking formidable again, and we've ended up scraping past Brighton and Palace. But the next 3 games for City should be more challenging, and a slip up or 3 would be most welcome.

RedForever2014

Indeed, I thought similar after I posted it. Maybe one day Kiether Sutherland will play Klopp in a dramatization of this period. With an odd subtle reference to Jack Bauer of course.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I think we set a club record for the most number of points in the first half of the season. We have to vitually do that all over again to win the title. Im under no illusion how difficult it will be especially when we get diverted by the CL starting again so. I make no secret of the fact Im desparate for the title. Jurgen has to look at things differently to me. But I just cannot counternance anything getting in the way and derailing our title fight.

I read the other day some ticket sites wanting 6 grand for a ticket to the last home game against Wolves. No way am I looking to cash in on mine.
I think that should the thing that we all want (but I won't mention because I don't want to jinx anything) happen. Then 6 grand would be a conservative quote of what tickets will be going for.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Very interesting take @RedForever2014 , I feel like that too. I just really hope and pray the lads can do it this time with Jurgen at the helm. He and his team have worked tremendously hard to get the team to competitive, got rid of the dead wood and has a well oiled machine to match their main rivals. In the last couple of games I found my stomach going in knots in the last 15 minutes of the game.
Hoping the lads shift to a higher gear and no more injuries.

My end of season song would be Queen's anthem. You know which one I mean. I don't want to jinx it.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Very interesting take @RedForever2014 , I feel like that too. I just really hope and pray the lads can do it this time with Jurgen at the helm. He and his team have worked tremendously hard to get the team to competitive, got rid of the dead wood and has a well oiled machine to match their main rivals. In the last couple of games I found my stomach going in knots in the last 15 minutes of the game.

My end of season song would be Queen's anthem. You know which one I mean. I don't want to jinx it.
This one?

RedForever2014

Indeed, personally I have hope more than expectation for reasons I express elsewhere on the forum. I do worry that injuries will undermine us in defence, that our midfield will be fatigued by midfielders covering defence and thus they'll get no rest, and of course that the forwards will be fatigued by there being no real rotation at all.

But for this thread I was kind of just looking at it from a light hearted perspective, a bit of a change for me I know.

:)