• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The TIA Off the Ball Debate

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Good suggestion, only ones I could think of off top of head that have both the passing pedigree and goal threat capability to play a "number 10" role behind a "false 9" who were grand enough for LFC were unlikely to come here like Kevin Prince Boetang or Mesut Oezil, a bit older and a gamble like Keisuke Honda, already here if Stevie G can develop trust in the guys behind them an stop dropping back or Christian Eriksen.

Not saying the "number 10 with false 9" option is only way we can go but most of the other tactical options seem to require moving Suarez wide or switching formation, not sure either will happen although my personal preference is Suarez wide and a traditional centre forward.
Eriksen started at 10 for Ajax, but has since moved to the (left) half position. That's the 4-3-3 midfield designation (aka playing with the point backwards) for the left-most of the 2 more advanced CM's. Modric also started at 10, Pirlo too, before both moving back a line or two over the years.

Ajax have Eriksen on their books at €18m, but would expect €20m+. He has a contract until 2014. Negotiations are on-going to extend to 2016, but at the moment it's still somewhat up in the air. Ajax will come back around Christmas. Plenty of players Ajax could buy to replace him, if there was to be an offer for Eriksen in excess of €20m+. These are the type of players I'd be far more interested in, to be honest.

For example, Filip Djuricic of Heerenveen would cost about €6m max in January, maybe €4m next summer. Dubbed "The Balkan Cruyff", Djuricic ( just 20 y.o.) is hugely talented. ManU had him on trial in 2009, but there were work-permit issues. He's broken the Serbian NT this year, so no work permit issues anymore. Djuricic is already so good ...and he has the potential to be a simply massive player. Touch, insight, technique, scoring .. he possesses the lot. Adam Maher is another number 10 (€8m from AZ) that I rate highly . Marco van Ginkel (€6m from Vitesse) is another great prospect. I'd take Djuricic anyday though. Already almost Eriksen level and at a quarter of the price. BR said earlier that we need to get smart and try to find the players ...before they become superstars.

I do actually rate Eriksen highly. Look at http://www.uefa.com/...yers/index.html ...and then filter it for distance. He has covered the most ground of any player in this season's CL Group stage. In a better team, he mightn't have needed to do so much running, and thus concentrate more on what he does best i.e. on-the-ball stuff. Ajax is not quite there at the moment (and we are not quite there either) though both LFC and Ajax play the same system nowadays. Eriksen has great talent, but if I was asked to choose between an Eriksen at €25m or a Djuricic at €5m - it would be the latter every day of the week. Eriksen at €25m would be a massive gamble, Djuricic at €5m would be no gamble at all. In terms of potential and actual ability, they're really not that far apart.

I do believe that we need a very technical player at number 10 (or left-half) to push us on. We don't exactly have anyone of that profile currently ...one technically very good and one who can thread a ball through, launch the wingers quickly and also score as well. Eriksen would tick a lot of boxes, but he'd also be extremely expensive. Much cheaper alternatives are available as well.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Thanks CardiffPete always great to read your thoughts. Personally I have no problem with signing "next" anythings, really hoping to see Assaidi become the next great tricky winger. Im just conscious we already have lots of "next" coming through. Are any of those players more the "finished" article so to speak (I consider Eriksen that way despite his age not sure if others agree) than Suso, Shelvey, Pacheco and Adorjan? If we need to wait for somebody to develop into the role Id probably happily stick with the younger players already here. My thinking is, Eriksen or other, we could do with a finished article walking into the side for right now in my opinion.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Personally, I can see us picking up a player like Djuricic rather than Eriksen. The way we did the Osama deal, gives me the idea that we're going to be conducting ourselves like that in the future. Perhaps a high profile deal like Huntelaar, but certainly more behind closed doors work.

5 Million compared to 25 should please those up top as well.

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
Can Jose inject consistency to his game?

Wednesday - Off the Ball with The Kop Magazine

After seeing his form deteriorate over the last 12 months, Jose Enrique has been handed a way back into the starting line-up by Glen Johnson's recent hamstring injury. The Kop Magazine – the independent monthly Liverpool FC magazine recently wrote an article asking: Can Enrique inject consistency to his game? Here's their article found over at TheKopMagazine...
The Kop Magazine said:
Given he’s been having injections in his knee to allow him to play through the pain barrier, sending a bit of stick in Jose Enrique’s direction feels a little harsh. But, and this second sentence was always going to begin with a but, if his recent displays against Everton and Newcastle are anything to go by then you have to wonder exactly what they’ve been injecting him with.

Our money was on ‘a horse tranquilliser’ at half-time during the Merseyside derby after he dozed off in the build-up to Everton’s second goal and allowed Steven Naismith more space than he’d find in most stands at an SPL match.

Against the Geordies he got caught out again by backing off when Hatim Ben Arfa got a run on him and allowing the glove-swapping Frenchman to cross into the box where Yohan Cabaye was on hand to beat Brad Jones at his near post. Add to that the fact that he made 28 mis-placed passes (12 against Everton, 16 against Newcastle) and it’s hardly surprising that frustration is growing amongst Kopites at the Spanish left-back’s performance levels.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that we all saw in the first half of last season how good he can be. There aren’t too many Liverpool left-backs in the Premier League era who’ve had their names sung on the Kop within a few months after arriving, but ‘Jose, Jose Jose, Enrique, Enrique’ rang out plenty of times.

Like quite a few others, though, his form fell away when Liverpool’s league campaign did under Kenny Dalglish with the low point coming on his return to St James Park on April Fool’s day when he ended up in goal (but kept a clean sheet). Even though he is Liverpool’s only senior left-back now, Jose Enrique has found himself behind right-back Glen Johnson in the pecking order under Brendan Rodgers with Martin Kelly and now Andre Wisdom given opportunities at right-back.

Is he in danger of joining Dicks, Dossena, Konchesky and co as being yet another individual who failed to solve the eternal Liverpool left-back problem? Quite possibly, but there are glimmers of hope.

Jose Enrique made up for his part in Newcastle’s goal by creating Luis Suarez’s magical equaliser with a superb long-range pass. At Goodison, his one-two with Suso led to Liverpool’s opener and it was his through-ball early in the second half that sent Raheem Sterling scampering away only for the teenager to fluff his shot. Indeed, the stats show that the only player on the pitch who created more chances than Jose Enrique during the Merseyside derby was Everton’s left-back Leighton Baines.

Such things suggest that the Spaniard could still have a part to play in Rodgers’ long-term plan, but there needs to be some consistency to his game. Kopites will only put up with erratic passing and dodgy defending for so long – even goals against Man United and Real Madrid didn’t turn Andrea Dossena’s Anfield career around – and you suspect Liverpool’s manager thinks along exactly the same lines.

We’ll find out for certain just as soon as Johnson recovers from his hamstring injury because if he goes back into the team for Jose Enrique rather than Wisdom, press speculation that Rodgers is in the market for a new first-choice left-back will only gather pace.

lancashirelad

This video floods back memories of when nights like this were real Liverpool FC nights. Champions league and Liverpool football club walk hand in hand but haven't been together for too long.
Our squad at the time of winning, it was by no means special but a certain togetherness as well as Stevie Gerrard being unplayable at the time were the reasons behind it mostly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCAKk2zV38

Enjoy

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
I just don't see it in him. He gives away too much ball for our new system, and has too many defensive lapses.

He is probably more suited for cameos on the wing in our current team ala his sub appearance a few weeks ago, as he is actually a handy attacking player.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
For example, Filip Djuricic of Heerenveen would cost about €6m max in January, maybe €4m next summer. Dubbed "The Balkan Cruyff", Djuricic ( just 20 y.o.) is hugely talented. ManU had him on trial in 2009, but there were work-permit issues. He's broken the Serbian NT this year, so no work permit issues anymore. Djuricic is already so good ...and he has the potential to be a simply massive player. Touch, insight, technique, scoring .. he possesses the lot. Adam Maher is another number 10 (€8m from AZ) that I rate highly . Marco van Ginkel (€6m from Vitesse) is another great prospect. I'd take Djuricic anyday though. Already almost Eriksen level and at a quarter of the price. BR said earlier that we need to get smart and try to find the players ...before they become superstars.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/281155/Liverpool-ready-to-steal-long-term-Manchester-United-target-Filip-Djuricic/

Alicia Johnson reads your posts

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Djuricic could be an interesting one for us. It's all a matter whether the mancs are still interested or not I guess, and if he'd be ok to come to us. But 4m? Can't see Heerenveen part with such a good talent for that kind of money tbh. Unless they are skint or something, or there is a release clause inserted...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I wanted to say something about Djuricic but I suggest we carry this kind of talk into Who would you buy thread as Broomy likes to keep this thread clean.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
He has had a bad patch. All players go through this.

He is a good, solid left sided player whom we NEED in the squad and any talk that he is crap or has become half the player he was is nonsense.

lancashirelad

Can Jose inject consistency to his game?

Wednesday - Off the Ball with The Kop Magazine

After seeing his form deteriorate over the last 12 months, Jose Enrique has been handed a way back into the starting line-up by Glen Johnson's recent hamstring injury. The Kop Magazine – the independent monthly Liverpool FC magazine recently wrote an article asking: Can Enrique inject consistency to his game? Here's their article found over at TheKopMagazine...
MoTM against Chelsea!

pwhyze

TIA New Signing
He was pretty solid against Chelsea. Deserving a MOTM award, although to be fair, it was a dour game full of mediocre performances, both by us and also Chelsea.

Tosh

TIA Regular
He put a real good old-fashioned shift in against Chelsea, and fully deserved the man of the match award.

I just hope he can push on from that, and start to re-discover the form we all know he's capable off.

lancashirelad

he looked great today, overlapping and scoring, seems his season is getting better and better.

collie

TIA New Signing
I think him and johnson work very well together, i would keep it that way for next few games

Redheaven

He was attrocious at the start of the season and for me he looked overweight and deffo not fit. The fact his form had gone downhill was no surprise I think Rodgers
swiftly moving a couple of big reputaitons on dropping a couple of others made Enrique realise it was time to get with the new program.

Great to see his response was really positive one and I like him at left midfield all of a sudden one someone wants to play a cross or a short ball into the box we have Luis AND Jose in there trying to get on the end of it. His strength against opposition defenders in the box has been good too.

If only a couple of the others could knuckle down and show the same professional attitude we wouldn't be looking to spend any money other than a forward in Jan.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I miss this thread
Me too. Been some cracking contributions.

One I would really like is somebody who knows a lot about the youth set up, maybe Sweeting, give an analysis over the recent academy changes and what we can expect it to mean for us and our awesome youth players.