• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Title Play Off Scenario.

dockers_strike

Mods, if this is the wrong forum for this, please move as I wasnt sure of the best place for it!

Ive heard some whacky scenarios for deciding the title if teams finish level on points. Some folk seem to think the title will be shared by the two teams due to a slightly confusing statement on the PL's own site. However, that only applies to teams league placing where relegation, European qualification or champions does not apply. Simple logic shows that UEFA mandates only one team be identified as national champions for the CL Pot 1 proves that point. Some people say it goes down to yellow and red cards each team have received in league games or even 'head to head.' Neither is the case.

So here is how the title would be decided IF both teams finished on the same points:

Liverpool and Manchester City are locked in arguably the most intense Premier League battle in history with the title race looking set to come down to the wire.

Both teams have played 36 games - Jurgen Klopp has steered his side to an almighty 91 points while Pep Guardiola's men have managed to accrue 92.

The Reds are sat just one point behind the defending champions and with a negative four-goal difference - so with it being so close, what happens if there is nothing to split the two sides at the end of the season?

There are several scenarios that could see both teams finish on the same points and the same goal difference which would see a one-off title-deciding play-off game to decide who are the champions.

Of course this isn't necessarily likely because both clubs would need to drop points in one way or another but it is possible - and here's how.

If they are still level and in the battle for the title, a final relegation place or European spot, then a play-off is needed.

There is no head-to-head rule in the Premier League so the rule outlines "the clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding league matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the board".

Liverpool travel to play Newcastle on Saturday night while City host Leicester.

The Reds are then back at Anfield on the final day to play Wolves while the Sky Blues travel to relegation-fighting Brighton.

For a title play-off to happen, the types of results listed below are needed, along with a goal difference swing of four towards Liverpool and a certain amount of goals scored. The order of the results below do not matter.
  • A Liverpool draw and Manchester City defeat, as well as both sides having the same type of result (win, lose or draw) in their other game.
  • A Liverpool win and defeat and two Manchester City draws.
Scenarios that would produce a play-off

Liverpool win 5-0 and lose 2-1 AND Man City draw both games 0-0

Liverpool win 4-0 and draw 3-3 AND Man City win 1-0 and lose 1-0

Liverpool draw both games 3-3 AND Man City draw 0-0 and lose 4-0

Liverpool draw 3-3 and lose 4-3 AND Man City lose 3-0 and lose 2-0

*other scores could produce a play off if City and Liverpool both score and concede an identical amount of goals above these scores without changing any of the results (ie in the first scenario Liverpool winning 6-1 and losing 2-1 and Man City drawing 1-1 and 0-0)

Has it ever happened before?

In short, no.

However the Premier League made plans in the 1995/96 season for Manchester United and Newcastle to play-off. They even booked out two dates at Wembley before printing tickets but in the end United won the league by four points.

In previous seasons a play-off has been a possibility going into the final day to settle Champions League or Europa League places, but it has never ended up being needed.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Would the games wouldn’t it be about games won/lost/drawn?

Man City have lost more that we have, but we’ve drawn more.

I don’t know whether in the event of tie with equal goal difference it would come down to who has won the most games (them) or who has lost least (us)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Play off if equal goal difference with same goals for and against.
I strongly feel it should go to the side that has lost the least games. That seems fair.

dockers_strike

I don’t know whether in the event of tie with equal goal difference it would come down to who has won the most games (them) or who has lost least (us)
I believe in Serie A they go straight to a play off if two teams finish level on points. No goal difference or any of that rubbish.

Libero

The thing that has shitted me over the last 5 or 6 weeks is that we haven't played at the same time and won't until next week.... Sometimes that can make a bit of a difference and we never got that opportunity. What a season it has been though...

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I was thinking the same, wouldn;t games won/drawn/lost be factored before playing an extra game?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Is it still possible after our Newcastle result?

RedForever2014

Took a last long look at the PL table with us on top, as I fully expect City to win tonight.

But, if a play off is to come to pass, we have to be level on points, GD and goals scored.

For the points to be level, we'd have to draw versus Wolves and City win one and lose one.

Then we'd have to bridge a three goal gap, which we can't do ourselves by drawing, so need City to lose by a net three goals over their two matches.

We'd also have to score three times more in a draw with Wolves than City score in their two matches.

For City to win a match they have to have +1 GD, so it means them losing by four in the other.

We'd need to draw 4-4 for a play off to kick in, or a higher scoring draw if City score in a match.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
How are we in the 'fair play' award for this season? I was thinking the other day, when my brain had nothing else to do, that it would be fun if the team with the best disciplinary record for the season were awarded a bonus point and the team with the worst were deducted one at full time on the last day :) If nothing else it might stop some of the shithousery over the duration.

RedForever2014

Has anybody else realised that we are very likely to have a one off play off of sorts with City in August?

The Community Shield at Wembley is a season opener that is contested by the PL and FA Cup winners from the previous season. If a club does the double, the second placed side in the PL plays the side that did the double.

So, as long as City win the FA Cup, we will play that match as either PL Champions or the second placed side.

It's a minor trophy, but a chance for us to 'win' a trophy in a one-off match.