The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Red over the water

Tammy Abrahams has turned down a loan move to Wolves and will stay with Villa.
Wolves are said to turn attentions to Origi.
I wondered if that might happen. I thought with the Abrahams thing there was also a bit of local rivalry going on from Wolves... Villa doing well, let’s kick them while we can as we are a Prem team and they are not, at the moment.

Origi’s goal would have done him no harm and Wolves were supposed to be interested in summer, but a deal didn’t matriculate.

I’d sell, for £20M+ with a % of a future sale built in, should it all click for Origi and he goes on to become very good.

The only slight hesitation is our depth. Ideally we’d be bringing in Werner to replace Solanke and Origi. Based on what I saw last night, Sturridge is all but finished here; and Brewster, while highly rated, hasn’t returned from injury yet and is still obviously a kid with it all to prove.

GaryBarlow99

I'd sell Origi for £15m and Moreno and Mignolet for £5m each right now if it meant we could use that and the Solanke money to get Werner. I'd rather have a smaller number of quality players that a greater number of average players.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I'd sell Origi for £15m and Moreno and Mignolet for £5m each right now if it meant we could use that and the Solanke money to get Werner. I'd rather have a smaller number of quality players that a greater number of average players.

That would be taking a big risk with Goalkeepers. Our next in line to Migs has just gone out on loan and is only 19.

Richard88

Our problems at CB have all come together, so it’s frustrating. Burnley slide tackles on a very wet pitch. Koulibaly (thug) right at the end on Matip when the game was gone. Lovren hamstring.

I would be tempted to swap Lovren and Matip for a robust, top player. And fill in fourth with a cheap option/kid/Fabinho in an emergency.
It would be a bit like swapping Solanke and Origi for a better player like say, Werner.

As the squad develops we need to get it to 18+ quality players, with a pathway open to top that up with the very best kids we have. The 18+ quality players should be of such a level that the quality barely drops when you shuffle the pack.

Right now we have about 15 quality players, then about half a dozen senior pros who aren’t quite of the requisite quality. Change six for three good ones, who will be of more use, and top it up with the best kids.

I think that will serve us better as the squad develops.
I agree with regards to forwards. Consolidate the fringe forwards (Solanke, Origi, Sturridge, Lallana) into one top player capable of seriously challenging the front 3 and effectively filling the minutes those 4 have played this season. Then you have that player and Brewster/Wilson/Jones as options.

In defense, I think we're fine in terms of depth, except for at LB once Moreno leaves. 4 quality senior CB's is fine, and at RB we have Trent along with a number of players who can cover there, including Milner, Fabinho, Gomez, Camacho, and even Hoever.

Mignolet is as good as it gets as a backup, as good keepers rarely want to sit on the bench. He'll probably get replaced though as he wants regular game time next season.

So all-in-all:

Out: Mignolet, Moreno, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge

In: Backup GK, young promising LB, top attacker. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two young talents brought in for the long-term as well in other positions.

GK: Alisson, New Backup GK
RB: Trent, Camacho, Hoever
CB: Van Dijk, Gomez, Lovren, Matip
LB: Robertson, New young LB
DM: Henderson, Fabinho, Grujic
CM: Wijnaldum, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones
FW: Salah, Firmino, Mane, New Fwd, Shaqiri, Wilson, Brewster

Ideally that forward player is someone versatile and top class like Werner. I could also see the desire to buy another CM to replace Lallana, but his minutes can more than be replaced by Ox once he's fit. The midfielder who will really need 'replacing' in terms of minutes and impact this season is Milner, but that can probably wait one more year.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
He isn’t good enough to do what we currently expect of our fourth choice - play all the time because Dejan Lovren is always fucking injured. He is good enough to be fourth choice in a more conventional way - be there for emergencies, and get a game in domestic cup early rounds and European dead rubbers.
I agree with your basic view, but the problam is we are now out of both domestic cups, into the knock out stage of the Champions League and a serious challanger for the league with 2 defenders out injured and 1 that is prone to picking up a lot of knocks, so 4th choice could be expected to play a large role at least until mid feb as both Gomez and Matip due back end of Jan, but will probably need a couple of weeks to get back to full match fitness

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Manninger?? Isn't he the fella that can change into a panther or an eagle :rolleyes:
You're thinking of Mannibal, the Carthaginian general who famously turned into an elephant to cross over the Alps and single-handedly defeat the Roman Empire. I think there was a 70s TV show. I didn't see it, though, so some details may be off.

JMac8

That’s a fair point. Hadn’t realised that Phillips is as injury prone as you suggest.

I still think we possibly overstate the importance of fourth choice CB because we need to rely on them more than other clubs do.
Actually I think it’s a valid concern. While we have the best CB in the league we have less depth than our main rivals

City have Laporte, Stones, Kompany, Otamendi, Mangala (wonder what they paid in total for these??)

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Actually I think it’s a valid concern. While we have the best CB in the league we have less depth than our main rivals

City have Laporte, Stones, Kompany, Otamendi, Mangala (wonder what they paid in total for these??)
Mangala and Otamendi are shite and Kompany can't stay fit.

Personally think we can improve on Matip and Lovren, particularly the former for fitness reasons, but I wouldn't say they've greater depth than us at this moment in time. Hoever's already had more good games for us than Mangala has for them.

FGred

I’ve been saying for a while now that Lovren and Matip need to be sold and replaced with a lad who can be relied upon. Van Dijk, Gomez, New player, Nat Phillips and Fabinho as emergency cover should be adequate.
I am sure with the help of VVD we can buy De Ligt in the summer?

Richard88

Stressing about the CB "crisis" is so over the top.

We have arguably the best group of 4 CB's in Europe. Yes, three of them are injured at the moment, but Matip and Gomez are already back in training and should be back soon. At most we'll have to play one game - a manageable game vs Brighton - with a makeshift CB in Fabinho, who'd have to play next to the best CB in the world. Somehow I think we'll cope...

FGred

That would be taking a big risk with Goalkeepers. Our next in line to Migs has just gone out on loan and is only 19.
The 4th choice GK we sold to Leicester was abysmal in the cup for them, he was barely worse than Mig and Karius

Richard88

Might I suggest a loan of Gary Cahill from Chelski yikes still covering my head waiting for the boulders thrown at me!
Very pointless transfer given that we're out of the cups and that he'd therefore only be expected to play ONE game (vs Brighton). There's no guarantee that he'd fare any better than Fabinho / Wijnaldum / Hoever either.

FGred

Does he have £100m in spare change?
Our net spend so far is 18M which has been wiped out by the sale of Solanke and our unspent kitty from the last 3 years should be more than enough to cover his fee? The main advantage he has is that he already plays alongside VVD for Holland and surely he will get as good as him if plays week in week out in the EPL?

FGred

Very pointless transfer given that we're out of the cups and that he'd therefore only be expected to play ONE game (vs Brighton). There's no guarantee that he'd fare any better than Fabinho / Wijnaldum / Hoever either.
And you obviously have inside info that both Gomez and Matip will be back that quick?

FGred

You're thinking of Mannibal, the Carthaginian general who famously turned into an elephant to cross over the Alps and single-handedly defeat the Roman Empire. I think there was a 70s TV show. I didn't see it, though, so some details may be off.
Surely you mean Hannibal?

T.C.B

Of more value would be a player who could play left sided centre half and left full back. Gomez and Fabinho give that versatility and flexibility on the right side. Ox has played full back for Arsenal, Milner has played both fullback positions too.
Lovren, VVD and Matip are centre back options only I think.

Liverpoolry

Mangala and Otamendi are shite and Kompany can't stay fit.

Personally think we can improve on Matip and Lovren, particularly the former for fitness reasons, but I wouldn't say they've greater depth than us at this moment in time. Hoever's already had more good games for us than Mangala has for them.
Please don’t tell me you would keep lovern over otamendi otamendi is not shite mate watch the games he plays he not a bad cb

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Our net spend so far is 18M which has been wiped out by the sale of Solanke and our unspent kitty from the last 3 years should be more than enough to cover his fee? The main advantage he has is that he already plays alongside VVD for Holland and surely he will get as good as him if plays week in week out in the EPL?

Add to that he would actually cost in the region of £60m. Next season I would like to see Virgil, De Ligt, and Gomez as our main CB's and lose 1 of either Lovren or Matip.

Liverpoolry

It's Lovren, not Lovern.

Otamendi is a red card waiting to happen aka a complete liability.
No offence your talking complete shite if you think otamendi is shit he’s not shit haha or he wouldn’t be at city ?... and sorry didn’t know we had to spell like we was in a spelling test it’s called a forum not a gcse exam I have dyslexia and just come on here to have my say..