• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Red over the water

Arnaut Groeneveld being linked.
Could be a smart signing. Winger, fast, some experience but young at 21 with improvement to come. Wouldn’t expect to start but could give us an option and could grow into a very good player indeed. Sort of intrigued by this one.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Could be a smart signing. Winger, fast, some experience but young at 21 with improvement to come. Wouldn’t expect to start but could give us an option and could grow into a very good player indeed. Sort of intrigued by this one.
Until last season he played for NEC the team Lijnders used to coach for half a season, I think that's the connection journalist make.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
There's this dumbass rumor being circulated that LFC was in for Dabbur until Salah "refused to play with an Israeli."

Of course, that's absurd on its face. But even more so considering that Dabbur is an Arab Muslim.
Didn't he play at Chelsea with Yosi Benayuon?

I smell media b/s smear campaign trying to unsettle both Mo and us to stop us winning the league as they know no club is good enough to stop us

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No, he didn't.

Famously he told Chelsea that they had to sell him before he would join them.
Any actual quotes? Or is this one of those widely accepted myths? From what I can see Salah didn't join Chelsea till Jan 14 and Yossi had already signed for QPR as a free agent on 10th Dec. His contract with Chelsea looks to have expired the previous summer.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
No ones coming in.
Not even a semi strong link.
Just because the media are clueless, it doesn't mean that Michael, Jurgen and co are not working behind the scenes if they feel a deal is needed.

If the boss wants anyone this window, then he will more likely get his target. If no one comes in, then that is due to Klopp believing the squad has enough to win the league/Champions League without adding anyone

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Just because the media are clueless, it doesn't mean that Michael, Jurgen and co are not working behind the scenes if they feel a deal is needed.

If the boss wants anyone this window, then he will more likely get his target. If no one comes in, then that is due to Klopp believing the squad has enough to win the league/Champions League without adding anyone
IMO we are still 1 maybe 2 away from 100% winning the league. City will come on really strong. If we got another world class player Id have no hesitation in saying we will be champions.
I really dont want to see players like Lallana, Sturridge, Moreno or Origi being needed.

Red over the water

I would definitely feel better about a fourth quality option up front. The level drops too much after Mo, Sadio and Bobby. I think we are preparing for this signing, but it will probably be the summer.

We seem to have form for doing January signings at the start of the month, so I’m not expecting anything big. We may go for a squad option like Groeneveld who could offer depth on the left wing for the run in and the future.

Drubas

Loaning out Clyne, in the middle of a defensive crisis, makes me confident we are signing a defensive option. I just can't wrap my head around whom.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Loaning out Clyne, in the middle of a defensive crisis, makes me confident we are signing a defensive option. I just can't wrap my head around whom.
I don't see it. I think it was more about clearing space for youngsters and letting players wanting more playing time to go.

I thought Camacho had gone, is his moving not going ahead?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I don't see it. I think it was more about clearing space for youngsters and letting players wanting more playing time to go.

I thought Camacho had gone, is his moving not going ahead?
Correct Klopp wants him to stay so stopped the move.

I think Fabinho/Milner/Gomez and maybe Camacho were ahead of Clyne anyway so it's not a problem.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Correct Klopp wants him to stay so stopped the move.

I think Fabinho/Milner/Gomez and maybe Camacho were ahead of Clyne anyway so it's not a problem.
If you peek in the injury thread news, Comacho may get a run in the side as well. Maybe Milner, but I wouldn't be suprised to see Comacho get some games.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If you peek in the injury thread news, Comacho may get a run in the side as well. Maybe Milner, but I wouldn't be suprised to see Comacho get some games.
Milner will start there against Palace I'm sure, can't see Klopp sticking Camacho in against Zaha right now. Henderson, Fabinho and Keita/Shaqiri in midfield.

I do expect Camacho to find his way onto the pitch again before the season is finished though, he played really well for the u23s last night and I thought he looked decent vs Wolves. Covers a lot of different positions on the sides too. I think he'll be on the bench and if there's a chance to get him some easy minutes over the next month (if we have a healthy lead) Jurgen might just do so.

C

Caradoc

Talking of the U23s, spare a thought for young Ki-Jana Hoever who was sent off whilst playing for the U23s as a result of one of the worst refereeing decisions I think I’ve seen in over 50 years of watching football. Scandalous, ..... outrageous, ........ imbecilic, ...... incredibly dodgy ........ call it what you like ...... !

Mark Thurgood

You can’t predict injuries, fortunately we’ve been pretty good all season with them, unfortunately they’re London buses with us at the moment. Which is terrible but it’s not a crisis I feel, when you have cover in midfield and the emergence of Camacho, Mr Utility and Fabinho who played well at CB against Brighton and has played RB before for Monaco....for me it’s not a crisis, my only concern is Palace our next fixture, generally a tough tackling team, and for me our bogey team over the last few years, BUT we are at home not away to them AND Matip, Lovren and Trent’s injuries bring them back in February....could be worse, could be long term....thankfully it’s not.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Milner will start there against Palace I'm sure, can't see Klopp sticking Camacho in against Zaha right now. Henderson, Fabinho and Keita/Shaqiri in midfield.

I do expect Camacho to find his way onto the pitch again before the season is finished though, he played really well for the u23s last night and I thought he looked decent vs Wolves. Covers a lot of different positions on the sides too. I think he'll be on the bench and if there's a chance to get him some easy minutes over the next month (if we have a healthy lead) Jurgen might just do so.
He does however have the worse mustache I've seen for a few years in football.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I'm getting Delph feelings here. Guardiola thought Delph was good enough as a cover. If it weren't for him, they would be only one point behind Liverpool probably, but they are 4 and Delph never played again after they lost 2x1 at Leicester. The same goes with all the "solutions" to our CB or RB, for different reasons.

I don't understand how people think it's fine using our best number 6, the only source of creativity in this position, as a regular centre back or right back. By doing this, we are getting weaker.

The same goes with Gomez. He is amazing at CB, but he shouldn't be moved to RB because his CB backups are Lovren and Matip and I don't trust any of them (Lovren lost us the game vs City, I doubt Gomez would allow that much space for Aguero) to become regulars (play 2~4 consecutive games).

Now I hear Ki-Jana, a 16 year old kid. I don't think he is ready at all.

About Milner, I don't have a very popular opinion and I know I will be bashed, but that's fine: he shouldn't be our backup at right back. I think he has a very hard time against pacey wingers and I also don't think he's been very good for the last 1~2 months. He's started this season playing absolutely amazing football at midfield, but faded very fast. Imagine playing at right back?

I think we really need a new right back. At this moment, I'd be very happy having Clyne here. It was a big mistake from Klopp imo because he thinks our second best CB, our best DM and Milner are solution somewhere else on the pitch. I don't like this, I think we are getting weaker.

We may be the only team leading a league without a proper RB backup. It's not good.

Last edited:

Fowler's Left Peg

I want to see this kid get games but not against Zaha thanks.

Milner seems to be a popular choice but I suspect Matip is fit then Fab will play there. he is more than good enough to keep Zaha quiet

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I want to see this kid get games but not against Zaha thanks.

Milner seems to be a popular choice but I suspect Matip is fit then Fab will play there. he is more than good enough to keep Zaha quiet
Not sure about that, he doesn't look particularly quick to turn nor over 10 yards. He reads the game well though but would worry for him up against Zaha.

Limiescouse

I'm getting Delph feelings here. Guardiola thought Delph was good enough as a cover. If it weren't for him, they would be only one point behind Liverpool probably, but they are 4 and Delph never played again after they lost 2x1 at Leicester.
Delph was a mainstay of a record breaking title winning side last year. He has barely played since that game because he had a 3 game suspension to deal with. He's been back on the bench for the two recent games for which he was available, but was overlooked last night for the 50 million quid versatility FB he had previously been keeping out of the side. If our fill in option do that well we'll be ok.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
We are thin in the back, but Matip is back in training and Gomez should be back in a couple weeks, Lovren seems like he's game-to-game right now with the hamstring. Milner and Fabinho can provide cover at the back.

It's not ideal - this is why I was opposed to the Clyne loan - but it would be risky to spend a significant sum on a defender only to have to sit him in a couple weeks.