• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

WheelsCT

All I know is I signed him on last year's FM and he was a very good DM with potential. I googled him once off the back of that. That is the sum total of my knowledge of this player.
McKennie is another young American who went to Germany. You’ll hear him described as a break up play type midfielder but he has a little more creativity than that. He’s not a finished product but he could be a Gini type understudy and provide some cover for Fabinho as well.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
My view on this window is if we were bringing in anyone it would have happened before this winter-camp. We may make some summer signings now though.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
My concern is that TAA, Gomez and Lovren are injury prone and are all out again.
Id like us to bring in another defender - even if on loan.
Best chance of winning league for years and Id hate for us to blow it due to injuries.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
My concern is that TAA, Gomez and Lovren are injury prone and are all out again.
Id like us to bring in another defender - even if on loan.
Best chance of winning league for years and Id hate for us to blow it due to injuries.
Lovren - Yes but I doubt he is a long term fixture anymore.
TAA - Not at all, actually came back early from an injury so I think he's pretty resilient.
Gomez - He broke his ankle after being snapped by a Burnley thug. I think he has recovered from the injuries he's had really well.

Red over the water

I think the point is well made that another defender would be good. Ideally someone who is very robust and always available (this is the problem now), and then good in the middle, and can also cover fullback. If we sign a player like that we are able to let one of Matip/Lovren go in summer.

Militao for Lovren or Matip.
Kelly for Moreno.

Sorts the defence out for years to come.

Werner for the attack, and move Sturridge and Origi on, sorts the attack.

The midfield is fine, though we need to see more from one or two.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Anyone believe the talk that we are in for the Chelsea kid that Bayern want?
I saw someone say that Bayern want him and Werner like we do so if we let them have a free run at the Chelsea kid they will do the same re Werner?
All talk of course.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I saw someone say that Bayern want him and Werner like we do so if we let them have a free run at the Chelsea kid they will do the same re Werner?
All talk of course.
I’m surprised it’s taken this long for us to be linked. Either as genuine interest (Bayern and Liverpool are probably shopping at the same level these days - see Timo Werner, that lad who went on a free last year) or as agent fluff.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
All talk of course.
100% believe we could be in for him. I know for a fact that Chelsea youngsters view Liverpool as the far more attractive club for opportunities and development. That's not a reflection on the relevant strengths of the two squads but purely the contrasting attitudes to player development.

Speaking to several Chelsea youth-teamers and their parents they say you'd need to go back to Ancellotti for the last manager to show much of an interest in the academy, which I found remarkable. That was pre-Sarri though but I doubt it's much different.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Also according to SPORT BILD Dortmund are interested in Wilfried Zaha.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
100% believe we could be in for him. I know for a fact that Chelsea youngsters view Liverpool as the far more attractive club for opportunities and development. That's not a reflection on the relevant strengths of the two squads but purely the contrasting attitudes to player development.

Speaking to several Chelsea youth-teamers and their parents they say you'd need to go back to Ancellotti for the last manager to show much of an interest in the academy, which I found remarkable. That was pre-Sarri though but I doubt it's much different.

Could they look at Solanke and say it's not enough of an opportunity though.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Could they look at Solanke and say it's not enough of an opportunity though.
I don't think so. He had a number of opportunities last year and as soon as it became evident he may not break through here we sanctioned a move so his career wouldn't stall.

If anything that ought to give any prospective young signing both encouragement that the club is prepared to give players opportunities and also assurance that they won't be left to stagnate.

GaryBarlow99

I don't think so. He had a number of opportunities last year and as soon as it became evident he may not break through here we sanctioned a move so his career wouldn't stall.

If anything that ought to give any prospective young signing both encouragement that the club is prepared to give players opportunities and also assurance that they won't be left to stagnate.
It also helps we have a very sympathetic Manager who won't stock pile players and will let them leave if they want to. You show you are good enough you will get games, if not then you can move on.

Mascot88

Admin

Yes, I think Solanke is a positive rather than a negative. We will give you chances, but if it doesn’t work out and you needs games we’ll get you a good move.

Mascot88

Admin
Hudson-Odoi is probably a perfect fit for the club. Superb prospect, good enough to be getting games, but would probably be content spending a couple of years developing.

Also - and the value of this shouldn’t be understated - leaves one on Chelsea. A far bigger scalp than Solanke was.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Hudson-Odoi is probably a perfect fit for the club. Superb prospect, good enough to be getting games, but would probably be context spending a couple of years developing.

Also - and the value of the shouldn’t be understated - leaves one on Chelsea. A far bigger scalp than Solanke was.
Yup, potentially on a par with Brewster (another Chelsea scalp).

Incidentally, I think I might have mentioned this before, but Joe Gomez is extremely good mates with a lot of the guys at Chelsea (so much so that their parents would come along to Liverpool U23 games to support him). We've got at least two solid ambassadors (Gomez and Brewster) and I doubt Solanke would have a bad word to say about us either.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I'm not at all confident of seeing us spend in excess of £35m to land a kid with just over a dozen senior appearances to his name, but if we have made contact and he's spoken to lads like Gomez, Solanke etc, then maybe we'll be able to persuade him to ignore Bayern's overtures for now and make an approach in the summer. He'll be entering the last year of his contract then so maybe the fee will go down a bit.

Similarly with Joao Felix, I think he looks supremely talented in the clips I've seen, could be another Dembele breaking through in the sense that he's come from nowhere and may already be beyond our means... but talking about over £60m for a lad with 8 senior games under his belt is nuts.

Mascot88

Admin
I'm not at all confident of seeing us spend in excess of £35m to land a kid with just over a dozen senior appearances to his name, but if we have made contact and he's spoken to lads like Gomez, Solanke etc, then maybe we'll be able to persuade him to ignore Bayern's overtures for now and make an approach in the summer. He'll be entering the last year of his contract then so maybe the fee will go down a bit.

Similarly with Joao Felix, I think he looks supremely talented in the clips I've seen, could be another Dembele breaking through in the sense that he's come from nowhere and may already be beyond our means... but talking about over £60m for a lad with 8 senior games under his belt is nuts.
I think we have to get used to this. It feels like madness, because for many years buying young players and investing in potential has been seen as a way to cheat the market.

I’d have no problem paying £30m for Hudson Adoi. It’s probably comparable - adjusted for inflation - to what United paid for a teenage Ronaldo years ago.

Mascot88

Admin
Yup, potentially on a par with Brewster (another Chelsea scalp).

Incidentally, I think I might have mentioned this before, but Joe Gomez is extremely good mates with a lot of the guys at Chelsea (so much so that their parents would come along to Liverpool U23 games to support him). We've got at least two solid ambassadors (Gomez and Brewster) and I doubt Solanke would have a bad word to say about us either.
Had no idea we’d got Brewster from Chelsea.

They must hate us, but to be honest I think they’ve had this coming. They have stockpiled young players with no strategy to how to get them into the team, and seemingly no interest. They have viewed them purely as a way of generating cash flow to beat FFP. No wonder young players want to get off when they get chance.

Limiescouse

Same with the Brazilian lad at Porto. Prices for unproven kids are ridiculous. And I dont mean that in the "prices are out of control" sort of old man way. I mean it in the sense that potential is now more expensive than proven ability. He has about 20 senior appearances and would be our third most expensive player in history.

Sweeting

As good as I think Hudson-Odoi is, I think we tend to be a bit smarter than throwing that kind of money on potential.

We often pinch youth players from other clubs but by taking advantage of contract disputes (Solanke, Duncan, Ejaria...), redeveloping released players (Camacho, Stewart...) or bringing them in at a much younger age to avoid the extortionate fees (Brewster, Sterling...).

I would imagine there are players in Germany, Spain and our own reserve team (Wilson) who could make a similar impact to CHO for less than £35m.

Having said that, if contract issues do emerge and no one else decides to pay the fees required then Hudson-Odoi and Tammy Abraham (17 goals this season for Aston Villa) could both worth a look at.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Same with the Brazilian lad at Porto. Prices for unproven kids are ridiculous. And I dont mean that in the "prices are out of control" sort of old man way. I mean it in the sense that potential is now more expensive than proven ability. He has about 20 senior appearances and would be our third most expensive player in history.
Anything to push Carroll down the ladder..

GaryBarlow99

I agree mate but £60m is the new £20m. Thanks to PSG, the financial doping twats.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
If we truly want Hudson Odoi, I think it's another waiting game. He's got 18 months left on his contract, and I don't think Chelsea will sell this window (unless Bayern come back with even larger offer), or the next, at least not to us. Next January would be the earliest I could envision this happening, and even then it would probably be difficult. I doubt at 18 he's willing to wait 18 months and sign with us on a free.

Much more likely to stay at Chelsea or go to Germany, simply because Chelsea will dig their heels in that much more if we come around asking questions.