The Unreliable Rumours Thread

The Infamous

Regarding Ake, I've seen his name mentioned a few times in these threads. IMO it's debatable if he's a clear upgrade over Lovren or Matip, other than his age. Sure he's a tick more mobile than either of them, but IMO he's a really panicky player that makes questionable decisions, and he isn't overly physical either. He's getting quite a bit of first team action in Bournemouth so I don't know why he would want to come to Liverpool to sit on the bench at this point in his career, much less why Howe would be inclined to sell him. But all that said, the way I understand his deal Chelsea would have the first right to buy-back anyway.
Spot on
Maquire,Ake,Aziplcueta are all good in a 3. In a back 4 they aren’t anywhere near as dominant as our 4CB’s. So take them out. A cheaper alternative is James Tarowski (happy we are linked with him he’s the Southampton Lovren with a clean slate no random tactics by BR) at Burnley who is in my limited time seeing him way better than England Hero Maguire. Klopp can coach him I doubt he even listens to Dyche but Lovren wasn’t really helped by Rodgers crazy defensive set ups.
He was so lucky it snowed haha
A Rugani or Umtiti or De Light. Otherwise just keep Matip and Degsy makes too much sense.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Woke up to the Markovic news. I feel shocked and like an idiot! I honestly believed nobody of even a reasonable level would go near him! Ever again! I'll never again doubt this clubs ability to get rid of a player or other clubs stupidity/desperation.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
We won't be signing an elite cb for €90m though, as much as I'd love De Ligt here it doesn't make sense to blow a massive chunk of coin on a cb with Virg and Gomez who looks looks to me like he'd pick up much less injuries if he was kept soley at cb.
Or we can play 3 at the back more often? TAA and Robertson would make amazing wing backs.

Dutch

Matip and Lovren are miles better than Ake. I really don't see what all the fuss about Ake is about. We can sign much better players than him.
Really disagree about Matip, he is a soft player, bad header who can't jump and has no speed, I would trade him for Aké in a heartbeat who can be a substitute for van Dijk as well since he plays on the left side. Aké is an excellent defender with speed en is a good footballer too.

BTW, we have Joe Gomez who is faster and further in his development as de Ligt.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Or we can play 3 at the back more often? TAA and Robertson would make amazing wing backs.

More often then the never so far this season? We brought in Fabinho to ensure greater defensive solidity from midfield so we could commit more players to the attack not less. Again don't get me wrong De Ligt is looking likely to be the next great centreback the kid has everything and I'd absolutely love him here but we wont be spending anything like last summers spend , we've been told that already . That means we have to prioritise and an elite cb that will most likely take VVd's transfer record when he's sold will be so far down that list.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
More often then the never so far this season? We brought in Fabinho to ensure greater defensive solidity from midfield so we could commit more players to the attack not less. Again don't get me wrong De Ligt is looking likely to be the next great centreback the kid has everything and I'd absolutely love him here but we wont be spending anything like last summers spend , we've been told that already . That means we have to prioritise and an elite cb that will most likely take VVd's transfer record when he's sold will be so far down that list.
I don't believe we won't spend big if we want to. In my opinion we are clearing the decks/deadwood to give us that spending capacity in the summer again.

For me we have the following as priority;

Rotational option for our front 3 - That won't be cheap.
Rotation option for left back - Could see a young player to come in here so doubt we will spend big
Replacing Matip/Lovren - I can see us spending a fair whack here

Upgrading Matip/Lovren to me is just as important as the other two they are not reliable fitness wise. The fact you replace 2 players with 1 would mean that 1 gets a lot of gametime. De Ligt can play defensive mid also.

Why would he take VVD's record? De Jong's fee (similar potential) only gets to a big number with all clauses being met (which is win win anyway).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Woke up to the Markovic news. I feel shocked and like an idiot! I honestly believed nobody of even a reasonable level would go near him! Ever again! I'll never again doubt this clubs ability to get rid of a player or other clubs stupidity/desperation.
Me too. But I stayed up late. Love deadline day, even if it's just to follow lower level deals across Europe and there's not something big. Even Vinnie said something around mid-day that Markovic has decided to run his contract down. Never thought someone would come for him or that it would be attractive enough for him to abandon Liverpool wages 6 months earlier. But it was worth staying up in the end!

phnaarg

TIA Youth Team
Me too. But I stayed up late. Love deadline day, even if it's just to follow lower level deals across Europe and there's not something big. Even Vinnie said something around mid-day that Markovic has decided to run his contract down. Never thought someone would come for him or that it would be attractive enough for him to abandon Liverpool wages 6 months earlier. But it was worth staying up in the end!
The remainder of his contract was paid up, so he didn't abandon his wages, technically!

Red over the water

I’m probably repeating myself - bit of dementia likely creeping in, plus day off and no game today...

The team and squad is of a high enough level that we don’t need to go and buy loads. Assuming everyone stays who we want to stay, I think we can get everything we need with a reasonable spend - the sort of money that is well within our means, even accounting for the large outlay on improved contracts to reward our great players and also keep them here. Something like this:

Striker - £60M
Timo Werner would be ideal. The fee is a pure guess. There were some reports he would go for much less, but I can’t see that. I know his contract is running down but lots of top teams would want him, so the money will need to be paid. He plays centrally or from the left. He scores goals. He has good pace. He is pretty direct. He is young and is about to come into the start of what should be some very productive prime years.

Is there a place here for him? Yes, of course! Four good players for three spots, no problem. And even if all four played, you could see Werner left, Mane right, Salah through the middle, and Firmino behind them.

We represent a very compelling project and we should be challenging for the Prem and in the latter stages of the CL for a few years here, under Klopp. Mind you, Bayern Munich, at the worst, challenge for the Bundesliga year in year out (usually they win it) and even if they are in a bit of a transition with renewing some older players, you can’t see them not being regulars at the sharp end of the CL. So it’s all up to the player and where he sees himself. If we don’t sign Werner, it needs to be someone at that sort of level, with some versatility too.

We’ve cleared the decks with the sales of Ings (fee to come) and Solanke. You would have to think Origi will follow, and when he does, that’s the fee near enough covered. Sturridge will likely leave too, which helps on the wages. A little clear out also makes space for Brewster to start to get some minutes here and there.

Central defender - £50M
Not sure who, but maybe Militao as he seems very highly rated. De Ligt would be great, but I can’t see us doing that sort of fee. We’ve also seen Tarkowski linked and I wouldn’t say no to that. Lovren and Matip are great quality for a third and fourth choice, but the injury record isn’t good enough, so I’d be happy enough to sell one, or even both, depending on incoming. But we need a third option to go with VVD and Gomez - high quality, and will see plenty of action. I think we will get at least £20M from the sale of Lovren or Matip to offset the cost of incoming.

Left Back - £20M
Moreno will be off. Not sure who we should get here. I remember the tall lad was mentioned a while ago, think it was Lloyd Kelly. I admit I haven’t seen him, but I am confident in our scouts, and if they like the cut of his jib, bring it on. I think I remember he could also cover central defence, so depending on what happened there, if we sold both Lovren and Matip, our options could be VVD, Gomez, Militao/Tarkowski and Kelly.

Beyond those three signings, I think Wilson should come back and replace Lallana.

Then we are looking at goalkeeper. As a mid ranking Prem goalie, Mignolet is a good age and quality for a number two for a top team. If he wants to leave to play elsewhere, fine. We would then need Heaton or someone like that. We have highly rated young keepers, but I’m not sure I want one of them coming in for Alisson at this stage. However, if that’s the way it goes, then I’ll back it, as the coaches see them day in and day out, and presumably they are coaching them to try to play the same sort of proactive goalkeeping style.

All five could be done for the usual sort of outlay, not the Coutinho-fee splurge we enjoyed last summer. The squad would be younger, the quality higher, the home grown quota beefed up, and it would all be financially doable.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
The Markovic move was pretty funny to watch in progress. I was flipping between the SkySports and NBCSN transfer deadline coverage and the first rumor was that there were two deal sheets submitted to the Prem before the deadline - one was very likely the Batshuayi move to CP, and the other was a mystery that everyone was scrambling to figure out. Then, about 15 minutes later, Rebecca Lowe reports on NBCSN that the second deal sheet was for a Markovic move to Fulham, and I spit out my coffee in shock and laughter and came here to share the news.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Really disagree about Matip, he is a soft player, bad header who can't jump and has no speed, I would trade him for Aké in a heartbeat who can be a substitute for van Dijk as well since he plays on the left side. Aké is an excellent defender with speed en is a good footballer too.

BTW, we have Joe Gomez who is faster and further in his development as de Ligt.

I'm not a big fan of Matip. Wouldn't shed a tear if we moved him on or Lovren. I think we should splash the cash on De Ligt though. We can afford him. We don't need to sign many players in the summer, just 3 or 4. What age is he? 19? 20? Isn't he 7 or 8 years younger than Virgil? Perfect age to be groomed as a long-term quality CB for LFC and successor to the big man. He's already on a different level to Ake or the Burnley lad and will get better.

Van Dijk, Gomez, De Ligt and Lovren or Matip would be a tasty group of CB's.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

I'm not a big fan of Matip. Wouldn't shed a tear if we moved him on or Lovren. I think we should splash the cash on De Ligt though. We can afford him. We don't need to sign many players in the summer, just 3 or 4. What age is he? 19? 20? Isn't he 7 or 8 younger than Virgil? Perfect age to be groomed as a long-term quality CB for LFC.He's already on a different level to Ake or the Burnley lad and will get better.

Matip was very good for his first half a season or so, but he's played timid since then when hes made it onto the pitch. It's quite amazing to think now when picturing some of his more recent appearances, but Klopp brought him in specifically to add some physicality and aerial strength at the back, and early on it looked like a good fit. No one really knows what is going on behind the scenes, but the combination of of injuries hes had and the timidty with which he appears to have shown in the last 18 months or so, it is easy to believe he is playing gun shy. Replacing him with a young CB like De Ligt might make sense. With the option of moving Gomez to Rb as needed there are plenty of games over the next 2 seasons for him, gomez, Trent and Virgil, and by that time Virgil will 30 and we'll hopefully already have our succession plan in place.

Gazmaninaus

Well we bought him first. Along with another bunch of clambers like. Jovanavic. Origi. Babel. Aisaidi. Gonzalez. The list goes on. Thank goodness those days appear over.

Gazmaninaus

I think Matip is very weak for a CB. Poor in the air and challenge. More recently a sick note than serious contender for the position. If you watch the goal the other day. He just let the ball sail over his head. Without bothering to jump. It only went over his standing position by a foot. Poor from a CB.

Dutch

I'm not a big fan of Matip. Wouldn't shed a tear if we moved him on or Lovren. I think we should splash the cash on De Ligt though. We can afford him. We don't need to sign many players in the summer, just 3 or 4. What age is he? 19? 20? Isn't he 7 or 8 years younger than Virgil? Perfect age to be groomed as a long-term quality CB for LFC and successor to the big man. He's already on a different level to Ake or the Burnley lad and will get better.

I hear what you are saying but my mean concern with de Ligt is his speed on the first meters and the fact that Ajax will demand an even bigger transfer sum than that we paid for VvD. He is young, yes but mostly unproven, believe me, except for matches against PSV and Feyenoord, in which he was poor, he is not tested, the Dutch competition is extremely weak.

BTW, Somehow I have a feeling he winds up in the Italian or Spanish league, don't know why just a hunch.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Matip was very good for his first half a season or so, but he's played timid since then when hes made it onto the pitch. It's quite amazing to think now when picturing some of his more recent appearances, but Klopp brought him in specifically to add some physicality and aerial strength at the back, and early on it looked like a good fit. No one really knows what is going on behind the scenes, but the combination of of injuries hes had and the timidty with which he appears to have shown in the last 18 months or so, it is easy to believe he is playing gun shy. Replacing him with a young CB like De Ligt might make sense. With the option of moving Gomez to Rb as needed there are plenty of games over the next 2 seasons for him, gomez, Trent and Virgil, and by that time Virgil will 30 and we'll hopefully already have our succession plan in place.
Replacing Matip might make sense but i dont see it happening, at least this summer. Matip doesnt strike me as someone who has a burning desire to be starting each week if he is otherwise happy. He doesnt need games to play international football, and as he moved on a free transfer his wages are probably more than enough to satisfy him (and is probably aware enough that any future move will be unlikely to earn him similar). Likewise, Klopp doesnt appear to be that eager to bin off his CBs at the moment either.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
@Dutch Barca, PSG, Juve or Manchester most probably.

Will be interesting to see if we go for a better and less injury-prone CB than Matip and Lovren in the summer. I think we will, but I don't think it will be a big money signing, not when you have a Van Dijk-Gomez partnership which is outstanding and more than good enough.

Having thought about it more, Gomez and the other two are a bit too injury-prone so maybe we will go big on a CB. Someone like De Ligt or Miltao?

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think Klopp then relied on Lovren to provide that physicality and aerial strength, but Matip was a decent ball-playing opportunity to get on a free. He is tall, doesn't mean he's very good in the air. A bit like Crouch. For me, he started well and then had quietly good games here & there (also some weak reactions like some lately), but that was also when we weren't the team we are today. We've gone up a few levels for sure. He's still good to have in the squad. But yeah, just a bit shy and sometimes that second late, or weak. His touches and passes are generally pretty good. But the next decision over a potential new CB will have to be made taking various things into consideration. Maybe he's the one who will leave to free up a space for someone who can push Lovren (who I hope doesn't get a new deal, he'll be 30 and has 2 years left, enough time to pick when we are ready to let him move on) a bit lower on the pecking order. We already have a talent in Gomez, with him it will be the case of staying fit. CB is not maybe a priority position to strengthen, but for a while now I still think we have to keep searching (and it doesn't necessarily need to be a massive fee like Virgil) if there's a good opportunity for a better partner to Virgil, someone who would be ready and fit "immediately".

Limiescouse

I think Klopp then relied on Lovren to provide that physicality and aerial strength, but Matip was a decent ball-playing opportunity to get on a free. He is tall, doesn't mean he's very good in the air.
The obvious way to beat a high press is to just go long early. Back then Klopp spoke explicitly about our weakness dealing with that and Matip being brought in specifically to bolster our ability to deal with those quick out balls. These days it feels a fairly strange idea, but that is how it was positioned.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Matip is actually often good when he has to come out and win a header. To me it was simply getting a better player than Sakho (and getting a few bobs out of the move), more accustomed to our style. Lovren (ironically I thought Matip would be the LCB between them two, but it was Lovren), who is stronger, can struggle with that at times (see: Lukaku, who is not even a proper target man - just strong, dominating him last year at the Toilet). But when we are pinned back and he has to defend inside our box, that's where I find Matip a bit weak. I don't mind having both of them still as members of our squad. But I'd like a better partner for Virgil if possible and then we pick who goes first. Not to put too much pressure on Gomez right now, even if he was superb until he got injured. But still needs improving (Klopp mentioned headers) and maybe we'll reassess how to deal with him, if we can do a bit to help him avoid injuries.

redfanman

TIA Regular
If true, then should please one or two people around here ...
Liverpool have bid around 70m euros (£61.3m) for Napoli's Italian striker Lorenzo Insigne, 27. (La Repubblica via Sport Witness)

(BBC Rumours page)

There's also this ...
Hertha Berlin want to keep on-loan Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic, 22, beyond the end of the season. (Liverpool Echo)
Doubt the first is true. On the second, Hertha said last month they wanted him but we want him back next season to back up our current players - has this now changed, or is this all part of the negotiation dance?

MW2833

The price being quoted for De Ligt is 70 million euros according to the Gossip page on BBC

Elessar

Napoli will never sell Insigne. He is their Gerrard. If they sold him then the owner would be forced out.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I love Insigne, he's a little gem, fantastic skill, agility and enthusiasm. Always looks to create, always looks to exploit every bit of space, be it on the ball or without it. But I don't think he's looking to leave. Didn't think that before he signed that contract when he was maybe, just maybe available to hear what's out there. He would've been a quality "Coutinho replacement". But for the mentioned reasons I didn't even take it as an option. Would make us more able to shift Mane on the other wing while Trent develops, too. Seems like a long shot, doubt there's truth in it. I like that Lozano guy however. Would rather that someone like him gets Shaqiri's minutes, while Shaq can still stay but drop a bit lower down the pecking order.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I love Insigne, he's a little gem, fantastic skill, agility and enthusiasm. Always looks to create, always looks to exploit every bit of space, be it on the ball or without it. But I don't think he's looking to leave. Didn't think that before he signed that contract when he was maybe, just maybe available to hear what's out there. He would've been a quality "Coutinho replacement". But for the mentioned reasons I didn't even take it as an option. Would make us more able to shift Mane on the other wing while Trent develops, too. Seems like a long shot, doubt there's truth in it. I like that Lozano guy however. Would rather that someone like him gets Shaqiri's minutes, while Shaq can still stay but drop a bit lower down the pecking order.
Let me derail the thread a little bit - how do you compare Lozano to Bergwijn? I like both but there's something about Bergwijn that I can't quite put my finger on but which makes me like him a lot as a player (though he's one of those Dutch wingers that you never know if they'll go down the Babel route or become someone like Mane, for lack of a better comparison).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Don't know enough about him. Lozano caught my attention in Russia and now through CL highlights. I see Bergwijn manages quite a number of assists. Holland's next evolution will be interesting to follow. Suddenly they do have some material again after more of a dry spell.