The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Didn't he also sign a pre-agreement with Barca? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?
De Jong the midfielder (also of Ajax). if Barca got De Ligt they really would be building a quality young side which could cope with the loss of Messi.. Arthur, De Jong, De Ligt etc. Strong strong footballing base that.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
I think that's De Jong.
De Jong the midfielder (also of Ajax). if Barca got De Ligt they really would be building a quality young side which could cope with the loss of Messi.. Arthur, De Jong, De Ligt etc. Strong strong footballing base that.
Aha ok. I knew they got someone from Ajax but couldn't remember who it was.

If De Ligt is available and he wants to come then I would love to see 1 of Lovren or Matip go and then in a 2-3 years we can bring through Hoever to replace the other hence eventually giving us 4 CB's of VVD, Gomez, Hoever and De Ligt

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Didn't he also sign a pre-agreement with Barca? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?
Lads have already replied to that but to add to that, there have been pretty strong rumours linking De Ligt to Barcelona, I think that their president namechecked him just two or three days ago as someone he'd love to sign. He'll command a humongous fee, just like De Jong, but for anyone thinking long-term, he could be worth it. For what it's worth, I think Klopp would do his best sign him up if Gomez wasn't already on Liverpool's books or if he knew Gomez wouldn't be able to have a proper career because of injuries. He'll need a new centre back, though, but I don't think it will be De Ligt because of Gomez and Hoever.

Keegans Perm

Aha ok. I knew they got someone from Ajax but couldn't remember who it was.

If De Ligt is available and he wants to come then I would love to see 1 of Lovren or Matip go and then in a 2-3 years we can bring through Hoever to replace the other hence eventually giving us 4 CB's of VVD, Gomez, Hoever and De Ligt
That would be ridiculous strength in depth regarding centre backs.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, he's a quality talent and I'd love it if he was a Liverpool player, I think he can be one of the best ball-playing centre backs in the world relatively soon but so could Hoever and he's only two years younger and should be getting his chance in two seasons' time, once both Matip and Lovren have left. Also, Klopp loves Gomez so much, even though he's quite injury prone (reaching Agger levels very fast) - would he pay 50-60 million pounds for a youngster who would be the third choice and who will leave Ajax only for a big club where he would play regularly?
I wonder if Hoever will start his LFC career at RB and Trent will move into midfield? I adore Gomez, I think he's wonderful, however, we can't rely on Gomez staying fit can we?

I think De Ligt would be well worth signing, even when Joe was fit he was often rested or played at RB with Lovren taking his place (which I thought was a bizarre decision by Jurgen). It's easy to see him being the long-term replacement for Kompany or the rock that United will build upon if we don't grab him.

Sweeting

When Spurs bought Sanchez, I can't really remember, but was he considered to be the better defender between himself and De Ligt?

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
He was starting though wasn't he?

I'm not saying things don't change I'm just trying to remember the perception.
I don't really remember what was said at the time to be honest, I'd not really heard of Sanchez either when Spurs signed him.

Nikola

Admin
I don't really remember what was said at the time to be honest, I'd not really heard of Sanchez either when Spurs signed him.
I don't think De Ligt was starting for Ajax when Sanchez was playing. I can't exactly remember how I found out who Sanchez was, maybe through international football? That said, I don't think Sanchez was as highly rated as De Ligt. He's a quality talent but De Ligt is like having another midfielder in your team (which did cause him troubles in his early games for club and country - at least those I saw).

Red over the water

I really rate Gomez, so I don’t especially want De Ligt. But if we do sign him, I’ll have no complaints as he’s a very good young player, and if we have VVD, Gomez and De Ligt we are very well stocked for years to come, especially as Hoever will start to factor into the equation too.

Does anyone think we might go three at the back, if we sign De Ligt? He plays like a midfielder and could step out with the ball.

My tuppence worth is we should spend the money on attacking depth, say Werner and Brandt/Havertz/Aouar.

Nikola

Admin

De Telegraaf are linking Bergwijn with Liverpool. They are pretty reliable, probably the most reliable Dutch football news outlet after Voetbal International. I like him, he could be good. Dutch football is slowly coming up the hill, it would be nice to profit from their rise.

redfanman

TIA Regular

De Telegraaf are linking Bergwijn with Liverpool. They are pretty reliable, probably the most reliable Dutch football news outlet after Voetbal International. I like him, he could be good. Dutch football is slowly coming up the hill, it would be nice to profit from their rise.
I can see that being the sort of move we are looking to make in this window. More so than say Werner, who i think would prefer not to be moved around as much between positions. A player covering the flanks is probably more important for us with our front 3 all capable of playing the nine spot along with Brewster needing playing time as a deputy there.

LFCFFC

Ticks a fair few boxes, fingers crossed this one has some weight to it. It'd be a good move for both parties...although I may be slightly biased.

Red over the water

I'm a cheap date. One link and I'm sold.

Bergwijn it is then!

Plays on both wings, good pace, weighs in with goals and assists. What's not to like?

Nikola

Admin
I can see that being the sort of move we are looking to make in this window. More so than say Werner, who i think would prefer not to be moved around as much between positions. A player covering the flanks is probably more important for us with our front 3 all capable of playing the nine spot along with Brewster needing playing time as a deputy there.
It depends, I was convinced that Klopp would sign a striker but then he played Firmino behind Salah in the centre of Liverpool's attack and they looked bloody good - so I thought "OK, a winger it is". Now, Salah is back playing wide and I'm as perplexed as ever when it comes to Klopp's tactical plans. It was so easy to guess he would at least be following the likes of Van Dijk, Keita and Fabinho but I genuinely have no clue what kind of tactical blueprint he'll employ next season. I'm not even sure that Brewster will be playing as centre forward, I think he'll give him some playing time on the flanks first.

I'm a cheap date. One link and I'm sold.

Bergwijn it is then!

Plays on both wings, good pace, weighs in with goals and assists. What's not to like?
There's that Dutch league question mark hanging over him, the more I saw from him, the more I thought "he'll either be Babel or Robben, nothing in between". He was impressive in PSV's games against Barcelona (and Champions League overall), so I'm none more informed than you. @Zoran seems to prefer Lozano, though.

vjcpatriot

I like Bergwijn. If he costs only £30m, that's a relative bargain in today's market for a winger with his ceiling.

The other guy I like would be Hirving Lozano but he probably goes for more.

If we add Bergwijn, Werner, Rabiot, De Ligt over the summer that would be a smashing success in terms of recruitment!

Our expiring contracts include Sturridge, Milner, Bogdan, and Wilson.

Matip only has 1 more year to go so getting De Ligt in a year early still makes sense so he can integrate into the system.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I like Bergwijn. If he costs only £30m, that's a relative bargain in today's market for a winger with his ceiling.

The other guy I like would be Hirving Lozano but he probably goes for more.

If we add Bergwijn, Werner, Rabiot, De Ligt over the summer that would be a smashing success in terms of recruitment!

Our expiring contracts include Sturridge, Milner, Bogdan, and Wilson.

Matip only has 1 more year to go so getting De Ligt in a year early still makes sense so he can integrate into the system.
Milner and Wilson's contracts aren't expiring this summer (well, Milner's might be technically but we have an option to extend only reason we won't is if he wants to leave). Who cares about Bogdan?