• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yes, they can.

Having said that, an amount in excess of what we got for Coutinho would buy us 3 or 4 class players and give us real strength in depth.
Just being realistic. I'm sure the club won't chose to sell unless Sadio makes it clear he wants to go to RM.
Klopp has made noises about us now being able to keep players much easier. I think there would be a huge blow in selling Sadio in that alone. Factor in needing to buy another player to replace him in a window we already need to make a number of signings for the squad that I'm not sure the money would be worth it.

Sweeting

Frankly they can sign Hazard and Erikson for the money it would take to get Mane. I agree that if we were to be offered ~£150m for Mane then it would be hard to reject as we could pretty easily replace him for that kind of cash - but Madrid wouldn't offer that when there are better players available cheaper due to contract situations.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Frankly they can sign Hazard and Erikson for the money it would take to get Mane. I agree that if we were to be offered ~£150m for Mane then it would be hard to reject as we could pretty easily replace him for that kind of cash - but Madrid wouldn't offer that when there are better players available cheaper due to contract situations.
But would we? I don't see Liverpool getting a wide forward who offers that acceleration, speed, the same understanding of space, who can consistently get double figures in goals and get past players repeatedly. True, he can be inconsistent within the same match, let alone a period of games, but I think Klopp would have to pay through the nose if he was to buy a player similar to him, looking at the going rates.

Sweeting

But would we? I don't see Liverpool getting a wide forward who offers that acceleration, speed, the same understanding of space, who can consistently get double figures in goals and get past players repeatedly. True, he can be inconsistent within the same match, let alone a period of games, but I think Klopp would have to pay through the nose if he was to buy a player similar to him, looking at the going rates.
No one loves Mane more than I do but £150m or so could get two £80m players - for example Nicolas Pepe and Luka Jovic. I don't know how good they are I'm just throwing some names out there.

Do I want to sell Mane? No. Is Mane irreplaceable? No. Do I think Madrid will pay what we want/need to sell him? No.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Yes, they can.

Having said that, an amount in excess of what we got for Coutinho would buy us 3 or 4 class players and give us real strength in depth.
Just being realistic. I'm sure the club won't chose to sell unless Sadio makes it clear he wants to go to RM.
What makes me laugh is the reports say they see mane as a cheaper version to Erikson pmsl

Drubas

I think there will be significant changes in the top of European club football. With no economic boost from Champions League for Real Madrid and Bayern München, they will have to look on as the economic superpowers from the Premier League will compete with them for every single player.

Real Madrid will have to replace Ronaldo. And their key players are old - Benzema (31) Marcelo (30) and Modric (33).
Barcelona - Messi (31), Suarez (32), Piqué (32), Rakitic (31), Alba (30) and Busquets (30), that they will need to replace.
Bayern - Neuer (33), Ribery (35), Lewandowski (30) Hummels (30), Boateng (30), Martinez (30), Rafinha (33) and Mûller will be 30 this year.

The problem is that even with the rumored £300m transfer budget for Zidane, that won't buy much on todays market, unless a contract is about to expire. So they may very well be able to buy Hazard for a bargain price of £100m, but I just don't see that Liverpool would sell Mané. And even if they manage to convince Mané, Liverpool would demand Coutinho type money to sell. The £300m will be gone pretty fast, and they will still have 3-4 players more to replace the coming years.

As a project, I just don't see any other team in Europe that is more exciting than Liverpool, except Manchester City and arguably (depending on whom you ask) Manchester United.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I think there will be significant changes in the top of European club football. With no economic boost from Champions League for Real Madrid and Bayern München, they will have to look on as the economic superpowers from the Premier League will compete with them for every single player.

Real Madrid will have to replace Ronaldo. And their key players are old - Benzema (31) Marcelo (30) and Modric (33).
Barcelona - Messi (31), Suarez (32), Piqué (32), Rakitic (31), Alba (30) and Busquets (30), that they will need to replace.
Bayern - Neuer (33), Ribery (35), Lewandowski (30) Hummels (30), Boateng (30), Martinez (30), Rafinha (33) and Mûller will be 30 this year.

The problem is that even with the rumored £300m transfer budget for Zidane, that won't buy much on todays market, unless a contract is about to expire. So they may very well be able to buy Hazard for a bargain price of £100m, but I just don't see that Liverpool would sell Mané. And even if they manage to convince Mané, Liverpool would demand Coutinho type money to sell. The £300m will be gone pretty fast, and they will still have 3-4 players more to replace the coming years.

As a project, I just don't see any other team in Europe that is more exciting than Liverpool, except Manchester City and arguably (depending on whom you ask) Manchester United.
Is that person @Nikola? :tongue:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I think this may be another reason not to expect Liverpool to be chasing big names this window - other clubs will be doing so making the deals for those players harder and more expensive to complete.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Only really Real haven't made steps to replace though.

Barca - De Jong, De Ligt, Emerson
Bayern - Hernandez, Pavard, Jovic (or Werner), Hudson-Odoi

All signed or going to.

Real will buck the trend and go for "galaticos" and spaff tonnes of money on proven world class stars v's building a squad to compete for 5+ years as pretty much every other club is doing. £300mil would get them Mbappe for example without change! It's an old strategy which won't work.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Klopp has made noises about us now being able to keep players much easier. I think there would be a huge blow in selling Sadio in that alone. Factor in needing to buy another player to replace him in a window we already need to make a number of signings for the squad that I'm not sure the money would be worth it.
Obviously it depends on what Sadio wants to do, and if he does want to go to RM then Klopp isn't the sort of manager who would stand in the way of a player fulfilling his ambitions. As for getting a replacement plus other signings, I don't think we'd have too much trouble in attracting the right kind of players. Especially if we win the PL and / or the CL. One possible replacement could be the Dutch kid we've been linked with previously. Bergwijn? Not that I've seen him play though.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Real will have other priorities (I'm thinking a more creative and more consistent player than Mane) and they're not filled with money with the expensive Bernabeu redevelopment project. They will most probably have to raise extra money through a sale or two. It would take a huge offer and also Mane to start doing a Coutinho to maybe cause trouble. For now, I'm still calm. Think we are nicely set to have our forward trio here for the next 2-3 years which will be their peak years. Of course, we will apsolutely have to start winning things during that time. The time has come to make that final step. But generally speaking, there was life after Suarez & Sturridge, there will be life after this current trio. Of course, if things are in place to keep making good decisions in the market and coach them well (which we were not in 2014, but this time we are). What we have to do now is to add more quality, not be afraid of adding more depth because as fans we're not used to this, but this is what top sides do and that's what we must become. I don't care what Trent thinks if we get a new RB in, I don't care what Mane thinks if we (finally) add a player who can cover his role well. Because we don't have one. It's the team's needs that come first and I don't care with which players we win things. We can't rely on 3 players playing 95% minutes for years and years in a row, it will not happen, not even with our slight evolution and being a less of a wild team. That's what Klopp needs to do now, carefully improve our team/squad, add more layers and finally start winning things.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Obviously it depends on what Sadio wants to do, and if he does want to go to RM then Klopp isn't the sort of manager who would stand in the way of a player fulfilling his ambitions. As for getting a replacement plus other signings, I don't think we'd have too much trouble in attracting the right kind of players. Especially if we win the PL and / or the CL. One possible replacement could be the Dutch kid we've been linked with previously. Bergwijn? Not that I've seen him play though.
I don't personally see Mane wanting to leave, he was wax lyrical about his best friend Keita joining. As most others point out Real simply couldn't afford him, especially when it is crystal clear they want Hazard first.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Balague says their priority is one of Mbappe/Neymar (Mbappe slightly ahead), if not (which will be difficult financially), then Hazard. Or someone like Eriksen. Who knows other targets emerge. It's Real, you never know with that unpredictable crazy bunch.

Limiescouse

No one loves Mane more than I do but £150m or so could get two £80m players - for example Nicolas Pepe and Luka Jovic. I don't know how good they are I'm just throwing some names out there.
150 million got us Virgil and Alison, and I think everyone acknowledges we are a better side after essentially exchanging those two for Phil. However, given a little bit of inflation over the last 2 years, that could also see us buy Lukaku and Morata.

When you're dealing with replacing a player as good, and as good a fit as Mane, no amount of money is slam dunk to being able to replace him or improve the squad. At this point we should only be selling on our terms, or when players do a Countinho. We should never do it because we're excited about what we could do with the signing fee.

Nikola

Admin

Do I want to sell Mane? No. Is Mane irreplaceable? No. Do I think Madrid will pay what we want/need to sell him? No.
I fully agree with the points you make, it's just that I'm concerned about a possible scenario where one of Spanish big two takes a Liverpool player again (unless it's Moreno). That was my concern with Coutinho as well, you can apply all the points you made about Mane except the one about paying what Liverpool wanted. I'm not arrogant enough to believe that Liverpool won't ever lose a player to a top club as long as they are a top club themselves but I feel the club need a year or two more when it comes to squad stability in order to fight with Manchester and London clubs.

Another issue is that Mane, in case he leaves, won't be replaced by Mbappe - it will most likely be someone like Pepe or Jović, like you said, players I definitely wouldn't mind to see in a Liverpool shirt, to put it mildly, only as additions to current squad, not as replacements for starting XI players. While I wanted Keita at Liverpool even before he was linked with Liverpool, his transfer brought us fans back to earth, not all of these expensive signings can hit the ground running like Mane and Salah did, for example, and I don't think that Liverpool can afford that right now with another player meant for starting XI (Heaven forbid, meant to replace an outgoing or injured starter).

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I don't personally see Mane wanting to leave, he was wax lyrical about his best friend Keita joining. As most others point out Real simply couldn't afford him, especially when it is crystal clear they want Hazard first.
Yeah he probably won't, but I've been around long enough to never believe anything any player says.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From today's BBC gossip page:
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has emerged as a summer target for Roma, Napoli and AC Milan. (Mirror)

Liverpool's Serbia international midfielder Marko Grujic, 22, on loan for the season at Hertha Berlin, wants to stay at the German club for another year. (Liverpool Echo)

Liverpool are likely to ask in excess of £12m from Rangers this summer for 22-year-old winger Ryan Kent, who is on loan at Ibrox this season. (Liverpool Echo)

If those clubs really are interested in Lovren then it looks like it'll be bye bye Dejan in the summer.

blaze

Faith.
If only. Why would Skriniar come here to be third choice? I appreciate that Gomez has injury concerns but he has to be Virgil’s partner when fit.
I don't think our team works that way. Your best three defenders can all expect to see fair share of game time without anyone being needed to be labelled as 3rd choice. Matip has played so much over the past few weeks that I'm sure even he wouldn't have expected at the start of the season - and he is fourth choice. Secondly, if Skriniar cannot trust his ability and back himself up to break into the team, then I'd rather not have him. You've got to have faith in yourself if you ever want to be a to footballer.

I think we have forgotten what it means to be a really really top side. Look at city, Barca, real etc, all have deep squads with depth in quality. We can't keep shying away from adding top quality players just cuz they will be 'third choice'.

Nikola

Admin
If only. Why would Skriniar come here to be third choice? I appreciate that Gomez has injury concerns but he has to be Virgil’s partner when fit.
True but I don't think he's played a season at Liverpool in which he was available for at least half of matches. I love him to bits as a player and as a human being, we all do, but it would be a mistake to plan for the future as if he was going to turn into Iron Man over night. A centre back is an immediate necessity in my opinion, as I imagine both Matip and Lovren will be shipped out over the next two summer windows (hopefully Lovren gets sold this summer, while Matip will probably have his contract run down). He doesn't have to be a world beater, just reliable enough, something that these two failed to provide. Ideally, an injury-free version of Matip with better control of his feet would do.

A centre back to come in this summer, Hoever to be promoted the season after the next one, Fabinho to provide additional cover, that's how I see it at this moment. No doubt Klopp will surprise us all by doing something out of the ordinary, though!

Red over the water

Skriniar is not a Varane/De Ligt/Koulibaly sort of player, but he is good, the price should be reasonable, and if Lovren is off he would fit the bill for me. When they are all playing and at their best, I think the preferred partnership is VVD/Gomez. What they showed us in the first half of the season was excellent, and if we can get that on the pitch reliably and consistently, I’m sure we will. But we still need four good central defenders, and Skriniar could be just the ticket. Hopefully the money needed would be largely recouped by Lovren’s sale, so we can spend on the wings/up front.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

FGred

I saw a picture of Mane trolling one of his Senegalese teammates by giving him the thumbs down for wearing a manure shirt that alone should tell us where his allegiance lie?
Correction he saw a banner held by Senegalese fans with Mane to RM but with the RM crossed off which mane gave the thumbs up to then he saw another banner with Koulibaly to Manure and he gave the Thumbs down to that