• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
This is honestly the first time where for me there doesn't need to be any signings this summer. Don't think another big money defender is needed as Gomez is finally given his platform to perform alongside Van Dijk, minus his injury. Too many midfielders are in the squad so a couple should be sold. Personally I would sign a number 10 who's world class or near enough and then leave it. Just sell in the summer rather than buy.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Yes, they can.

Having said that, an amount in excess of what we got for Coutinho would buy us 3 or 4 class players and give us real strength in depth.
Just being realistic. I'm sure the club won't chose to sell unless Sadio makes it clear he wants to go to RM.
I'm confident we will just invent another player into Mane's level. All we do is make good players into superstars. That's literally our specialty. Even if Salah would leave (god forbid) I wouldn't worry too much.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I do not agree that if we had Fekir we might have had a few more points than what we already do. he isn't that good. He wouldn't even be an every match starter with us. in fact, I bet if we had him against Spurs Sunday he would have been on the bench for example to start the match.
I think he's the type of player that needs a team to be build around him for him to elevate. So there's a chance he wouldn't be as good for us as he is to lyon. But if he's giving a vital role like Salah, Mane and firmino has for us, he could be a very very useful player for us. He definitely has world class potential under the right conditions.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Aouar is the missing piece in our midfield, at least in terms of play style. This boy has everything. He can defend, press, hold the ball, clever passing skills, dribbling... whatever you need to fill the number 8 position, he has it. Can also play in the wing, as number 10, the complete package. But I think we kinda missed the opportunity with the Fékir saga (which I think is completely dead) and he must be a very expensive buy (£60m+). Aouar would have been such a great asset.
Very good talent indeed, but all that is what I think Klopp wanted (or still wants) to get from Keita...

KMD1951

I do not agree that if we had Fekir we might have had a few more points than what we already do. he isn't that good. He wouldn't even be an every match starter with us. in fact, I bet if we had him against Spurs Sunday he would have been on the bench for example to start the match.
Wasn't suggesting he'd be an automatic starter for us although suspect he would. However, he might have provided the nouse we needed to get the winner against West Ham, Leicester, Man Utd and Everton coming from the bench.

Then again, maybe not.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Wasn't suggesting he'd be an automatic starter for us although suspect he would. However, he might have provided the nouse we needed to get the winner against West Ham, Leicester, Man Utd and Everton coming from the bench.

Then again, maybe not.
We didn't lack nouse in those games.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
This is honestly the first time where for me there doesn't need to be any signings this summer. Don't think another big money defender is needed as Gomez is finally given his platform to perform alongside Van Dijk, minus his injury. Too many midfielders are in the squad so a couple should be sold. Personally I would sign a number 10 who's world class or near enough and then leave it. Just sell in the summer rather than buy.
I understand where you are coming from. Our starting 11 is on par with the best sides in Europe. Perhaps we could have a more creative option, but otherwise its very strong. However, I feel like we are always just a long term injury away to Salah or Mane from having our season fall apart. We have been incredibly lucky with their fitness the past couple of seasons. A bit more depth is necessary if we truly plan on being one of the most dominant sides in Europe, and that absolutely has to be the long-term goal of Klopp and the club.

Spurs, Arsenal, City and United will all strengthen next season, as will Real and Bayern etc. The top 6 is so tight, we could just as conceivably win the league next season as we could finish outside the top 4.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I understand where you are coming from. Our starting 11 is on par with the best sides in Europe. Perhaps we could have a more creative option, but otherwise its very strong. However, I feel like we are always just a long term injury away to Salah or Mane from having our season fall apart. We have been incredibly lucky with their fitness the past couple of seasons. A bit more depth is necessary if we truly plan on being one of the most dominant sides in Europe, and that absolutely has to be the long-term goal of Klopp and the club.

Spurs, Arsenal, City and United will all strengthen next season, as will Real and Bayern etc. The top 6 is so tight, we could just as conceivably win the league next season as we could finish outside the top 4.
They will try to strengthen, whether they will or not remains to be seen.

LFCFFC

Doesn't everyone try to strengthen in some regard every year? It's not simply a matter of buying whoever you want and improving automatically. There are varying degrees of success and failure.

Arsenal are losing Ramsey and they probably have to replace their backline too...not easy.
Spurs will be desperately trying to stop half their starting XI leaving and have a stadium to pay off
United will splash the cash but their recent transfers have been haphazard at best. Ole's not much of a draw card either.
City...eh, who improves their squad? Unless they convince Messi to join they're close to their ceiling.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that all of our rivals are better next year than they are now.

Last edited:

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I think he's the type of player that needs a team to be build around him for him to elevate. So there's a chance he wouldn't be as good for us as he is to lyon. But if he's giving a vital role like Salah, Mane and firmino has for us, he could be a very very useful player for us. He definitely has world class potential under the right conditions.

yeah, I agree with that too... I just think it's unfair to say that if we signed him in the summer that we would have a few more points because of that. it could be possible but that's basically making him out to have an impact on our team like VVD or something. we have to be careful with that type of expectations.. Fekir is good and I am not saying I would not want him... but Keita to me was just as good player to his team and to his league before we signed him as well. I thought Keita would have a major impact on our team this season and well that has not been the case yet, unfortunately. I still think he will be a good player for us though. I just don't think it's fair to say if we signed Fekir in the summer that could be the difference in us winning the title this season or not... especially considering the points we already have at this stage of the season... is one of our best seasons ever

Last edited:

MW2833

Doesn't everyone try to strengthen in some regard every year? It's not simply a matter of buying whoever you want and improving automatically. There are varying degrees of success and failure.

Arsenal are losing Ramsey and they probably have to replace their backline too...not easy.
Spurs will be desperately trying to stop half their starting XI leaving and have a stadium to pay off
United will splash the cash but their recent transfers have been haphazard at best. Ole's not much of a draw card either.
City...eh, who improves their squad? Unless they convince Messi to join they're close to their ceiling.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that all of our rivals are better next year than they are now.
Chelsea... Oh wait

Lovejoy122876

Was thinking about the 2nd goalkeeper situatiion for next year, with Migs set to leave in the summer - what about Neil Etheridge from Cardiff?

Red over the water

I read a snippet somewhere (might have been on here) that Abramovich didn’t renew for an executive box at Chelsea. Might be a sign of his problems with the British Government, or might be an indicator that the project/plaything is no longer of much interest to him. Could be a bit of both.

Here’s hoping that trickles down and Chelsea, from being all but guaranteed title contenders, slip to only a maybe for top four, then hopefully a bit further still. Arguably that’s what we are starting to see.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I read a snippet somewhere (might have been on here) that Abramovich didn’t renew for an executive box at Chelsea. Might be a sign of his problems with the British Government, or might be an indicator that the project/plaything is no longer of much interest to him. Could be a bit of both.

Here’s hoping that trickles down and Chelsea, from being all but guaranteed title contenders, slip to only a maybe for top four, then hopefully a bit further still. Arguably that’s what we are starting to see.
My bet is it would more likely be to do with his visa issues. What is the point in him having a box if he can't come into the country to use it?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

If this Visa problem persists you can count on him putting this club on the back burner. Abramovich not known for his patience. He won't sell the club just yet, as he loves his money more than anything. He would just get them to do what we are doing - earn to spend. That could see them falling down the pecking order fairly quickly with the way they changed their managers.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Chelsea have so many talented players out on loan that if given a chance could prosper or if sold they're pretty much set to be self sufficient with the fees they'll get. Best thing could happen is Roman having so little interest that he doesn't change manager when things do go bad.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Best thing could happen is Roman having so little interest that he doesn't change manager when things do go bad.
That will be the worst thing, because their football director or most English club football directors don't dictate playing style and therefore if a manager is changed, the entire team needs rebuild. So please keep changing manager.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
That will be the worst thing, because their football director or most English club football directors don't dictate playing style and therefore if a manager is changed, the entire team needs rebuild. So please keep changing manager.

They've had incredible success from constantly changing to the next hottest manager though. It shouldn't theoretically work but for them it does.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
They've had incredible success from constantly changing to the next hottest manager though. It shouldn't theoretically work but for them it does.
Two reasons. 1st new manager comes in with a shopping list of fresh new talent to change and drive the club forward (theory is this could become a lot more limited). 2nd new managers coming in with a fresh start, usually some positivity and new ideas creates a bounce traditionally. How long that positive bounce lasts is usually down to the quality of the players and quality of the manager. This bounce is why a lot of teams struggling with relegation change managers and occasionally it leads to a survival against the odds.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Two reasons. 1st new manager comes in with a shopping list of fresh new talent to change and drive the club forward (theory is this could become a lot more limited). 2nd new managers coming in with a fresh start, usually some positivity and new ideas creates a bounce traditionally. How long that positive bounce lasts is usually down to the quality of the players and quality of the manager. This bounce is why a lot of teams struggling with relegation change managers and occasionally it leads to a survival against the odds.

Maybe just once they hire a manager that's great with working with talented youngsters and getting the best from what he's got and only asks to add 1 or 2 talented players, unlikely I know but could you imagine if they had got Klopp. It's Chelsea and all likelihood they would choose the wrong option every time I just don't think Roman losing interest would be dooms day for them anymore.