The Unreliable Rumours Thread

blaze

Faith.
If only. Why would Skriniar come here to be third choice? I appreciate that Gomez has injury concerns but he has to be Virgil’s partner when fit.
I don't think our team works that way. Your best three defenders can all expect to see fair share of game time without anyone being needed to be labelled as 3rd choice. Matip has played so much over the past few weeks that I'm sure even he wouldn't have expected at the start of the season - and he is fourth choice. Secondly, if Skriniar cannot trust his ability and back himself up to break into the team, then I'd rather not have him. You've got to have faith in yourself if you ever want to be a to footballer.

I think we have forgotten what it means to be a really really top side. Look at city, Barca, real etc, all have deep squads with depth in quality. We can't keep shying away from adding top quality players just cuz they will be 'third choice'.

Nikola

Potless.
Admin
If only. Why would Skriniar come here to be third choice? I appreciate that Gomez has injury concerns but he has to be Virgil’s partner when fit.
True but I don't think he's played a season at Liverpool in which he was available for at least half of matches. I love him to bits as a player and as a human being, we all do, but it would be a mistake to plan for the future as if he was going to turn into Iron Man over night. A centre back is an immediate necessity in my opinion, as I imagine both Matip and Lovren will be shipped out over the next two summer windows (hopefully Lovren gets sold this summer, while Matip will probably have his contract run down). He doesn't have to be a world beater, just reliable enough, something that these two failed to provide. Ideally, an injury-free version of Matip with better control of his feet would do.

A centre back to come in this summer, Hoever to be promoted the season after the next one, Fabinho to provide additional cover, that's how I see it at this moment. No doubt Klopp will surprise us all by doing something out of the ordinary, though!

Red over the water

Skriniar is not a Varane/De Ligt/Koulibaly sort of player, but he is good, the price should be reasonable, and if Lovren is off he would fit the bill for me. When they are all playing and at their best, I think the preferred partnership is VVD/Gomez. What they showed us in the first half of the season was excellent, and if we can get that on the pitch reliably and consistently, I’m sure we will. But we still need four good central defenders, and Skriniar could be just the ticket. Hopefully the money needed would be largely recouped by Lovren’s sale, so we can spend on the wings/up front.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez

FGred

I saw a picture of Mane trolling one of his Senegalese teammates by giving him the thumbs down for wearing a manure shirt that alone should tell us where his allegiance lie?
Correction he saw a banner held by Senegalese fans with Mane to RM but with the RM crossed off which mane gave the thumbs up to then he saw another banner with Koulibaly to Manure and he gave the Thumbs down to that

Red over the water

I am sorry but after watching him against Wales Skriniar isn’t even as good as Skertel never mind Lovren no thanks but I would replace Lovren with De Ligt any day
Fair enough!

De Ligt is definitely a better player, no arguments on that from me. If we signed De Ligt I'd have no complaints as we want good players.

The reason I wouldn't do it is cost/benefit. The biggest need I see is on the wing/striker. We need another great option, someone who can come in for any of the current front three and see us not take a step down in quality. I'm assuming that will cost a few bob, so we might not have the sort of money for De Ligt as well, hence my shout for a second tier sort of option in Skriniar.

But if Skriniar is not that good, hopefully we do better then. I'm basing my Skriniar opinion on the World Cup, and also a David Squires cartoon in the Guardian, so it might be subject to a more refined approach!

Red over the water

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/premier-league/premierleague/callum-hudson-odoi-fc-bayern-chelsea-transfer-60897226.sport.html

Price of £43mil.. Now I'd be interested at that price, I've seen bits of him and he does look a fantastic talent.. Sterling/Sancho etc. Levels potentially.

Also seen us linked with Rice as well (by Pellegrini weirdly)
Sign me up for that. Klopp will work wonders with him.

I've only seen a few snippets of him at Chelsea, but then the England game showed me he's not one to shrink away. Sometimes a young player steps onto a stage and they shrink back and don't try anything, almost as if not wanting to make a mistake is their uppermost thought.

Hudson-Odoi had a go and took a man on and generally tried to make things happen. Obviously he's not the sort of player with a body of work under his belt in a good league, as he hasn't really got going in his career yet, but on the small signs we've seen, he looks like he will become a real player.

Kopstar

★★★★★
https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/premier-league/premierleague/callum-hudson-odoi-fc-bayern-chelsea-transfer-60897226.sport.html

Price of £43mil.. Now I'd be interested at that price, I've seen bits of him and he does look a fantastic talent.. Sterling/Sancho etc. Levels potentially.

Also seen us linked with Rice as well (by Pellegrini weirdly)
G
N
I
P
P
A
T

Bayern sports director, Hasan Salihamidzic, confirmed the great interest of Munich in Hudson-Odoi. "He is a very interesting player whom we absolutely want to sign up to. He has qualities that match our game. He's dribbling, tricky, has a good move to the gate and is a young player who has great potential to evolve," he said at the training camp in Doha.

Ridiculous. Keep going though Bayern, you could potentially exclude yourselves from the list of potential suitors.

FGred

Fair enough!

De Ligt is definitely a better player, no arguments on that from me. If we signed De Ligt I'd have no complaints as we want good players.

The reason I wouldn't do it is cost/benefit. The biggest need I see is on the wing/striker. We need another great option, someone who can come in for any of the current front three and see us not take a step down in quality. I'm assuming that will cost a few bob, so we might not have the sort of money for De Ligt as well, hence my shout for a second tier sort of option in Skriniar.

But if Skriniar is not that good, hopefully we do better then. I'm basing my Skriniar opinion on the World Cup, and also a David Squires cartoon in the Guardian, so it might be subject to a more refined approach!
I am basing my opinion on that game only if we managed to get him playing alongside VVD might improve him but the other stumbling block is his price is around £80M absolutely crazy if Barca pay that for him then they are welcome to him as there is no way he is worth more than Van Dyke

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
I am basing my opinion on that game only if we managed to get him playing alongside VVD might improve him but the other stumbling block is his price is around £80M absolutely crazy if Barca pay that for him then they are welcome to him as there is no way he is worth more than Van Dyke
I rate De Ligt but don't think he's coming to LFC. He'll probably end up at Barca or in Manchester. Besides, a fit and in-form Joe Gomez is most probably the superior player.

Last edited:

FGred

I rate De Ligt but don't think he's coming to LFC. He'll probably end up at Barca or in Manchester. Besides, a fit and in form Joe Gomez is most probably the superior player.
I think we have as good a chance as Barca to get him, we also have the VVD card to play and Gini as well, but ultimately the thing that will make him decide will be if we win a trophy either the EPL or the CL or even more dreamland to win both

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
I think we have as good a chance as Barca to get him, we also have the VVD card to play and Gini as well, but ultimately the thing that will make him decide will be if we win a trophy either the EPL or the CL or even more dreamland to win both
Yes, I agree with you if we really wanted him. However, his fee would be in the Van Dijk ballpark so you'd think he would have to play. Then where does Gomez fit in? He is certainly FAR too good to be on the bench, I reckon we'll aim our sights a bit lower but it would be brilliant if we did sign him. Very young, about 8 years younger than the Big Man isn't he?

Nikola

Potless.
Admin
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-news-transfers-live-adrien-16030483

According to this blog, Kicker have reported that "Liverpool have been in touch with Hudson-Odoi’s agent to discuss a potential move from Chelsea". Well, that's one signing I'd be fully on board with, he's a quality talent. If Bayern are breaking all the barriers of decent behaviour to sign him, I can only imagine how highly the coaches rate him.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-news-transfers-live-adrien-16030483

According to this blog, Kicker have reported that "Liverpool have been in touch with Hudson-Odoi’s agent to discuss a potential move from Chelsea". Well, that's one signing I'd be fully on board with, he's a quality talent. If Bayern are breaking all the barriers of decent behaviour to sign him, I can only imagine how highly the coaches rate him.
You could also see Chelsea selling him to us, if he threatens to go on a free next summer they’d get triple his price this one etc.

Dave-D

You could also see Chelsea selling him to us, if he threatens to go on a free next summer they’d get triple his price this one etc.
There wasn’t any real bad blood over the Solanke transfer if I remember correctly so I don’t see Chelsea telling Liverpool they’ve no chance of getting him

Kopstar

★★★★★
There wasn’t any real bad blood over the Solanke transfer if I remember correctly so I don’t see Chelsea telling Liverpool they’ve no chance of getting him
No bad blood but also nothing they could do about it as Solanke had run his contract down. If he's going to be sold though you'd have to think that Chelsea's preference would be that it wasn't to a domestic rival.

Dave-D

No bad blood but also nothing they could do about it as Solanke had run his contract down. If he's going to be sold though you'd have to think that Chelsea's preference would be that it wasn't to a domestic rival.
Depends on how annoyed they are with Bayern and how they’ve went about trying to sign him and the offers they’ve made for him. If Liverpool are willing to stump up the 30+ million Chelsea want they could well accept as they’ll need all the money they’ve got after they’ve gone to CAS to get the ban put off until the winter window :well done:

Edited to add. Bayern might just want to wait it out until January for a pre contract if they feel Chelsea want to much for him and then Chelsea would only get something like 500k in compensation.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Depends on how annoyed they are with Bayern and how they’ve went about trying to sign him and the offers they’ve made for him. If Liverpool are willing to stump up the 30+ million Chelsea want they could well accept as they’ll need all the money they’ve got after they’ve gone to CAS to get the ban put off until the winter window :well done:

Edited to add. Bayern might just want to wait it out until January for a pre contract if they feel Chelsea want to much for him and then Chelsea would only get something like 500k in compensation.
Yep, which means Chelsea might take less from Bayern this summer than from a PL team.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
The only problem I see (as well as the selling abroad preference as per Kopstar) is their transfer ban. Doubt they would want to let him go especially as it appears hazard is off in the summer! I find it weird he wont wait though.. Hazard off, Willian is about 33 and Pedro not getting any younger.. Lots of minutes to be had soon.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
You guys talking about Skriniar, de Ligt and stuff like that, but I bet our new CB next season will be someone like Ki Jana, Phillips or Lloyd Kelly. With VVD and Gomez + 1 between Lovren and Matip + Fabinho will be more than enough in Klopp's mind (even though I don't agree with him). If we have Lovren AND Matip next season, I doubt we will even bring someone else either from academy or elsewhere.

I think Klopp will spend real money on a number 10/winger. All the rest will be cheap players.

Last edited:

Dave-D

The only problem I see (as well as the selling abroad preference as per Kopstar) is their transfer ban. Doubt they would want to let him go especially as it appears hazard is off in the summer! I find it weird he wont wait though.. Hazard off, Willian is about 33 and Pedro not getting any younger.. Lots of minutes to be had soon.
They’ll get the ban pushed back to start from the winter transfer window so they’ll have the summer window to throw money at players. They’ve already got Pulisic coming in the summer as well who will take a lot of playing time off him.

KMD1951

Article in the MailOnline that Fekir has a gentleman's agreement to leave Lyon in the summer and that we might be in for him. According to the article the deal fell through after we agreed a £53m fee because Lyon pulled the plug. Nothing about failing a medical or second opinion being needed.

This might explain why the poor guy filmed a Welcome to Liverpool video.

Think this would be a great signing if it happened, on the basis there wasn't any medical issue last year. Pretty sure with him in the team this season we'd have a couple more points in the bag and destiny in our own hands.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Article in the MailOnline that Fekir has a gentleman's agreement to leave Lyon in the summer and that we might be in for him. According to the article the deal fell through after we agreed a £53m fee because Lyon pulled the plug. Nothing about failing a medical or second opinion being needed.

This might explain why the poor guy filmed a Welcome to Liverpool video.

Think this would be a great signing if it happened, on the basis there wasn't any medical issue last year. Pretty sure with him in the team this season we'd have a couple more points in the bag and destiny in our own hands.
I don't think it was a case of them simply pulling the plug - Fekir would have kicked off. Daily Mail are usually garbage on their football rumours. Wouldn't be surprised to see us linked with the other Lyon player supposedly available - although I think FSG are reluctant to go back to clubs they feel have played games with them.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don't think it was a case of them simply pulling the plug - Fekir would have kicked off. Daily Mail are usually garbage on their football rumours. Wouldn't be surprised to see us linked with the other Lyon player supposedly available - although I think FSG are reluctant to go back to clubs they feel have played games with them.
Might be a bit of both. We could have tried to renegotiate after the medical, and that prompted them to pull the plug.