The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Red over the water

David Neres... interesting.

I’m late to the party and have only very recently seen a bit of him at Ajax as the CL has progressed. How versatile is he, for those who know more than me? Can he cover wing and through the middle? And he looked like he had decent pace and skill to me, but what are his strengths, for those who might have seen more of him than me?

I’m a sucker for a good transfer rumor though, so I’m on board with this... or Bergwijn... or Werner.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
BBC gossip page:
Liverpool are considering a move for Ajax's Brazilian forward David Neres, 22, with Merseyside rivals Everton also interested. (Mirror)
If that is true and those are the two choices he has to make, and if he takes more than 5 seconds to make up his mind, I don't think we should sign him ever......

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
David Neres... interesting.

I’m late to the party and have only very recently seen a bit of him at Ajax as the CL has progressed. How versatile is he, for those who know more than me? Can he cover wing and through the middle? And he looked like he had decent pace and skill to me, but what are his strengths, for those who might have seen more of him than me?

I’m a sucker for a good transfer rumor though, so I’m on board with this... or Bergwijn... or Werner.
Neres is a very, versatile player. He used to play for São Paulo as a right winger, but he soon was sold to Ajax. At Ajax, in 16/17 and 17/18 he played as a right winger mostly, but in 18/19, Ziyech went to the right winger and Neres to the left winger, but has played a few games as a number 8 in 4-3-3. Now he plays mostly on the left wing.

He is a good dribbler, has some good pace and his movement is also very good for a teenager. Even though he's scored a lot of goals in the past 2 years, I'd say he is not exactly a great finisher. Oh, and I think he could bulk a little bit more, I think he would suffer a little bit in England.

As a Brazilian, I'm kind of surprised about how good he looks, especially in big games.

But if we are looking for a versatile winger, with great dribbling and a better finisher, I'd totally recommend Grêmio's Everton. He is better than Neres imo, a more complete player and more decisive. He is the best player in Brazil for the past two years. He's been linked with City and Milan and 100% will leave in the summer. I think he might be on the same level as Mané, or pretty close, but with better dribbling skills and finishing.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Neres is a very, versatile player. He used to play for São Paulo as a right winger, but he soon was sold to Ajax. At Ajax, in 16/17 and 17/18 he played as a right winger mostly, but in 18/19, Ziyech went to the right winger and Neres to the left winger, but has played a few games as a number 8 in 4-3-3. Now he plays mostly on the left wing.

He is a good dribbler, has some good pace and his movement is also very good for a teenager. Even though he's scored a lot of goals in the past 2 years, I'd say he is not exactly a great finisher. Oh, and I think he could bulk a little bit more, I think he would suffer a little bit in England.

As a Brazilian, I'm kind of surprised about how good he looks, especially in big games.

But if we are looking for a versatile winger, with great dribbling and a better finisher, I'd totally recommend Grêmio's Everton. He is better than Neres imo, a more complete player and more decisive. He is the best player in Brazil for the past two years. He's been linked with City and Milan and 100% will leave in the summer. I think he might be on the same level as Mané, or pretty close, but with better dribbling skills and finishing.
Saying a young kid playing in Brazil is on the same level as Mane, but with better dribbling and finishing...I'd be surprised if any teenager anywhere could do the sort of things Mane does for us, but it's fair to say you have my attention.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league

Think he'd need to use another name too...

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Saying a young kid playing in Brazil is on the same level as Mane, but with better dribbling and finishing...I'd be surprised if any teenager anywhere could do the sort of things Mane does for us, but it's fair to say you have my attention.
I know, I get it and I agree with you that he must prove himself on european land. It's just that there are players who are already on "european level". Arthur and Neres are some fair examples. Everton does almost the same as Neymar used to do in Brazil and he is 23, he is not exactly a kid anymore. He plays for fun in Brazil most of the time and not only in the Brazilian league, but also in Libertadores (south-american CL), a very physical tournament, little space, lots of fights for the second ball, agressive defending...

People used to think the same about Arthur and now he is a starter for Barcelona playing the same way as he used to in Brazil. I know this is not a rule, but an exception, and I firmly believe Everton is an exception. He is way too good to play in Brazil.

Also, I might be wrong but I don't think Mané is a great dribbler. I think he is a good goalscorer, very bright, great off ball movement, great defending, pressing, good pace and stuff like that. He brings something different to the table, but I wouldn't say he is an amazing dribbler like Hazard, Neymar, Sancho, Chiesa, etc.

If you want to take a look (although I don't like this kind of compilation, I also like to see the mistakes):

Everton is a very special kind of player. I can't remember a Brazilian winger as good as him since Neymar (Vinícius Jr. might be the better player in the future, but not today by a long shot). And he could totally emulate (some things better, some things worse) Mané.

I'm not claiming I'm 100% right, but City are interested apparently, Milan already said (through Leonardo) that they are interested and I'm sure they will bid in the summer. There's a reason why they are willing to pay €40m+ for him.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Jesus I know those videos of Joao Felix made him look like an awful diving little fecker but oh my word is that kid a talent, he's gonna be huge for whatever team gets him.

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Would love Neves to come, but I do feel he's too loyal to wolves. Gaining promotion with them and helping them become a bigger club as well. Fair enough you could argue that Lallana was the same with Southampton but I feel that Neves will stick around with Wolves for a couple of more years.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Be interesting to see how Madrid manipulate their way around FFP after spending £1bn on Mané, Hazard, Pogba, Mbappe, Eriksen, De Gea, Kane etc etc.
They’ll point to us and say “It’s not fair, how are we supposed to compete with them? They’re from Liverpool FFS.....”

Zac

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Just saw another story in the Echo about Couts coming back to us. I know many on here would not be too keen on this, but I for one would welcome him back.... but of course only at the right price, but what do we think the right price is, how much should we pay if Barca did try and broker a deal with us?

Echo link below

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reasons-philippe-coutinho-failed-barcelona-16100179
Wouldn't have him back. Did everything he could to shit on the club and Klopp to get his dream move to Barcelona, plus we've moved on and no longer need him.

Suarez at least gave his full commitment to us when he wanted to move where as Coutinho faked injury and got his people leaking rumours to the media in a bid to force the club to sell him.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Would love Neves to come, but I do feel he's too loyal to Mendes. Gaining promotion with them and helping them become a bigger club as well. Fair enough you could argue that Lallana was the same with Southampton but I feel that Neves will stick around with Mendes for a couple of more years.
FIFY

redfanman

TIA Regular
Just saw another story in the Echo about Couts coming back to us. I know many on here would not be too keen on this, but I for one would welcome him back.... but of course only at the right price, but what do we think the right price is, how much should we pay if Barca did try and broker a deal with us?

Echo link below

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reasons-philippe-coutinho-failed-barcelona-16100179
I dont think we will be back in for him - as the cost could be an issue. We sold him for about £140m...£105m of which was cash with the rest being add ons, of which i think @Kopstar said we have had about £15-20m locked in already. Given he has been at Barca for a year, i would think we would want to knock off at least 20% just for that. Then there might be a further discount to negotiate based on Barca's probable need to sell to fund any further purchases they want to make in their overhauling of their team, which is ageing. That probably brings the price down to £60-80m plus add ons. I dont know if he ticks enough boxes for us at that price given the need to strengthen multiple areas this window.

Perhaps his future is also tied to that of Neymar - if Neymar remains at PSG this summer, perhaps they may take a look at coutinho if they sell other players.

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
Just saw another story in the Echo about Couts coming back to us. I know many on here would not be too keen on this, but I for one would welcome him back.... but of course only at the right price, but what do we think the right price is, how much should we pay if Barca did try and broker a deal with us? Echo link below
Him and his wife never stopped whinging about how lonely they felt in England; how the climate and culture made them unhappy. A bit of global warming, and a reality check at Barcelona apart, nothing much else has changed. Like others have said, let's get players that better fit the manager's style.

As far as rumours go, it looks like his agent trying to show there are buyers queuing up for him, maybe to persuade Barcelona (or PSG or Manchester clubs) that he is still top drawer and not slightly shop-soiled now?

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Be interesting to see how Madrid manipulate their way around FFP after spending £1bn on Mané, Hazard, Pogba, Mbappe, Eriksen, De Gea, Kane etc etc.
Not difficult when FFP takes 3 seasons average, they've spent close to nothing for the last two while selling Ronnie for £100m.

LFCFFC

It would never happen anyway, but Coutinho returning would set a pretty terrible example of player power holding sway over the club. He burned his Liverpool bridges. You'd hope he at least a measure of integrity left and would decline a move to our bigger rivals should Barca want to discard him.

On a more positive topic - there are some genuinely talented wingers in the Dutch system that would be a perfect fit for us. Wouldn't mind adding Neres to our Brazilian contingent at all.

Red over the water

Bale’s wages will be a stumbling block for clubs, along with his fitness record. When he went to Madrid he was threatening to become one of the best in the world, and while there have definitely been highlights that take the breath away, he hasn’t been fit enough, consistently enough, to stake a claim as one of the world’s best. On his day? Yes, but it’s not regular enough.

He needs a sucker, like Man Utd were with Sanchez, to take him on at his wages. Otherwise he will have to drop his salary, and even then it’s hard to see too many suitors with the money Real Madrid want for a transfer fee too.

My best guess is he will sit tight, rake in his dough, enjoy the sunshine, and give a cameo here and there until the end of his contract (don’t know how long that has left). Then he will Bosman his way outta there and get another massive payday and contract, due to him being on a free.

He will retire a very wealthy man, with multiple Champions League’s and league titles to his name, and he will be able to say I played for Real Madrid for x years and won all this... The true football fan will know that he didn’t quite shine enough at the highest level, and arguably didn’t fulfil his talent, but he will point to his medal haul and bank balance to argue he did. Pah!