The Unreliable Rumours Thread

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yay we are buying players on market value that’s being quoted all over the news. We are going to do well.

Red over the water

You still have to sign the player, even if the price seems a bit deflated due to contractual/selling club circumstances. I would imagine at that point it gets even harder, as other clubs will see the good deal and seek to get in there.

Edwards is doing very well for us and if we do sign Brandt and Werner for £60M or a bit less, that would be fantastic business. It would also bloody the nose of Bayern Munich. Not only did we knock them out of the CL, but we would have interrupted their pattern of cherry picking the best German talent, as if the whole Bundesliga is their own personal nursery. That will be significant in terms of the future too, as more German talent will continue to come through.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
Reading comments from our German friends and having seen some fairly recent games of Brandt for national team, I got the impression that he's more of a playmaker than a winger and that his future role lies in no. 8 or even no. 10 role. If that's the case, would Klopp really go in for him, provided he usually gives chances to his players first and foremost and he has Keita and hopefully AOC there (even Lallana is getting some playing time when he's fit)?

Cologne-Liverpool

Reading comments from our German friends and having seen some fairly recent games of Brandt for national team, I got the impression that he's more of a playmaker than a winger and that his future role lies in no. 8 or even no. 10 role. If that's the case, would Klopp really go in for him, provided he usually gives chances to his players first and foremost and he has Keita and hopefully AOC there (even Lallana is getting some playing time when he's fit)?
It's a fair point, have thought about this as well. He's ocasionally been used there in the past, but the more permanent switch to a midfield/playmaker role at Leverkusen (for Germany he still usually plays on the wings) has been fairly recent under their new coach, hard to say if that's more about the specific needs of Leverkusen's squad or if his future necessarily HAS to be (exclusively) there - I do like how he plays in that role for them, but I'm not entirely sure it would be the perfect position in the EPL and in our current team/tactic for him.
I know there's a good argument against that kind of thinking, but overall I think he's too good of a talent/player for that price not to go for it and a certain amount of versatility isn't the worst of qualities.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
It's a fair point, have thought about this as well. He's ocasionally been used there in the past, but the more permanent switch to a midfield/playmaker role at Leverkusen (for Germany he still usually plays on the wings) has been fairly recent under their new coach, hard to say if that's more about the specific needs of Leverkusen's squad or if his future necessarily HAS to be (exclusively) there - I do like how he plays in that role for them, but I'm not entirely sure it would be the perfect position in the EPL and in our current team/tactic for him.
I know there's a good argument against that kind of thinking, but overall I think he's too good of a talent/player for that price not to go for it and a certain amount of versatility isn't the worst of qualities.
I'm on board then! lol I do find it strange that Klopp reportedly wanted him and got Salah instead - two different types of players from what I've seen. I don't know who Klopp wants to sign but I'm very keen on Sessegnon and Hudson-Odoi - two speedsters with decent technical qualities and I think Hudson-Odoi can become a goalscoring winger. I don't have that feeling with Brandt but I do think he can be a player who can assist more than ten goals every season. That said, if I could pick one Leverkusen player, it would be Havertz - but then again, he'd probably be best used in a central role as well. Finding another goalscoring winger that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg will be tough...

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Maybe at that time we first wanted a more playmaking type attacker on the left while keeping Mane on the right. Then flipped to Mo. Or aimed at both, Brandt maybe being in the Ox bracket. Who knows what was in the calculation, we'll never know.

Cologne-Liverpool

I'm on board then! lol I do find it strange that Klopp reportedly wanted him and got Salah instead - two different types of players from what I've seen. I don't know who Klopp wants to sign but I'm very keen on Sessegnon and Hudson-Odoi - two speedsters with decent technical qualities and I think Hudson-Odoi can become a goalscoring winger. I don't have that feeling with Brandt but I do think he can be a player who can assist more than ten goals every season. That said, if I could pick one Leverkusen player, it would be Havertz - but then again, he'd probably be best used in a central role as well. Finding another goalscoring winger that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg will be tough...
I think his shooting technique and pace are pretty decent and in terms of goals it could become better in a better team but I agree with your overall point(s).
A versatile, quick thinking, skillful 6ft1 22/23yr old with over 200 first team appearances and German international for under 25m could be a decent bit of business in the current market though.;-)

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
I think his shooting technique and pace are pretty decent and in terms of goals it could become better in a better team but I agree with your overall point(s).
A versatile, quick thinking, skillful 6ft1 22/23yr old with over 200 first team appearances and German international for under 25m could be a decent bit of business in the current market though.;-)
Absolutely no problem with that, there certainly is a place in the squad for such a player, with probably two more positions to be improved in the summer. Klopp won't be looking to sign benchwarmers, he'll want players who can stake a claim for the first team spot. Of course, in his case, there's always the Bayern danger, I doubt they would let any highly rated Germany-based player go abroad without running the rule over him. There will be a few ins and outs there this summer, James Rodriguez is probably one such player and I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking at Brandt to replace him in that role (when it comes to wingers, I think they will be looking for different beasts).

Speaking of young German internationals, have I told you about this Havertz kid... :-)

Cologne-Liverpool

Absolutely no problem with that, there certainly is a place in the squad for such a player, with probably two more positions to be improved in the summer. Klopp won't be looking to sign benchwarmers, he'll want players who can stake a claim for the first team spot. Of course, in his case, there's always the Bayern danger, I doubt they would let any highly rated Germany-based player go abroad without running the rule over him. There will be a few ins and outs there this summer, James Rodriguez is probably one such player and I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking at Brandt to replace him in that role (when it comes to wingers, I think they will be looking for different beasts).

Speaking of young German internationals, have I told you about this Havertz kid... :-)
Bayern have been all over him for years and still are. Him not signing with them would be seen as an affront to the natural order.;-)

Havertz - yep, have said this previously, he's often considered the crown jewel of German talents and I tend to agree. Pricey he would be though.

big noyd

seems like a bit of overlap with brandt & werner, with both used occasionally at left wing. they'd be steals at anything close to the #s in media reports, which would leave us in a good position to 'overpay' for sessegnon--except he would play there too

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think we need someone who can play on the left of a front three in a 433, on the left of a three in a 4231, or offer creativity on the left hand side of attacking midfield in a 433.

I think Brandt would be ideal.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
I think we need someone who can play on the left of a front three in a 433, on the left of a three in a 4231, or offer creativity on the left hand side of attacking midfield in a 433.

I think Brandt would be ideal.
I think you're describing what Klopp wants from Keita, only in reverse order of priorities! It's difficult to second guess him, there was a point when I thought he would turn Salah into a centre forward and thus buy a primarily right sided forward. That said, I think your prediction is closer to eventual turn of events than mine is since Mane can also play well on the right and there are also Brewster and Shaqiri in the equation (though the latter's form is pretty worrying, he was instrumental to Liverpool's fortunes from the start of October to the end of December but is nowhere to be seen since).

kenno91

TIA New Signing
Please sign de ligt and put him beside VVD

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Rumours from today's BBC gossip page (some more believable than others):

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp demanded 18-year-old Brazilian forward Vinicius Junior in return for Sadio Mane when Real Madrid made an approach for the Senegal forward, 27, last season. (El Chiringuito, via Metro) (Yeah, sure he did.)

Liverpool are interested in Bayer Leverkusen's 22-year-old German winger Julian Brandt. (Bild, via Calciomercato) (Yeah, I think we're on to that one.)

Wolves are keen to sign Liverpool's 18-year-old Portuguese winger Rafael Camacho. (O Jogo, via Mirror) (Probably likely to happen.)

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If it's all Klopp why the constant hard-on for Paratici?
I don’t know about who is getting a hard on for certain director... most of my celebratory post came in the form of congratulating the team after a great win. Might be wrong forum for me to do so I guess....

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp demanded 18-year-old Brazilian forward Vinicius Junior in return for Sadio Mane when Real Madrid made an approach for the Senegal forward, 27, last season. (El Chiringuito, via Metro) (Yeah, sure he did.)
They think we have Ole Solskjaer as our manager is it?

So Klopp does the negotiations for us? I'm confused.
So I say that, did I? I am confused too....

Last edited: