• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The appeal is being heard this Thursday (it's still within FIFA at the moment). If Chelsea wish to challenge the outcome of that appeal then they'll go to CAS. Chelsea would almost certainly seek a provisional suspension of any sanction from CAS (which they'd get) whilst the process then went through their procedures. They'd then have 8 weeks to complete the process before the international transfer window opens (9 June this year*). That could just be possible but it's touch and go.
*FIFA TMS now has the transfer window opening on the 11 June this year.

Red over the water

Does anyone know when the window opens?

Just kidding.

I’m not sure about De Ligt. Very good player, no doubt about that, but we have our own in Joe Gomez. His partnership with VVD in the first half of the season had the lot, and I want to see it resumed next season. Going deeper into the squad, Matip has done very well indeed and is a fine third choice. I’m not a fan of Lovren, particularly, and I see him as fourth choice and vulnerable to departure, mostly to play more.

If we sign De Ligt I won’t complain, but it would be overkill in that position in my opinion. De Ligt and Gomez would have a straight fight to partner VVD, so one VERY good young defender will miss out, right at the time they are carving out a career for themselves at the highest level, and needing to play. Matip will be pushed down the order and presumably Lovren will be off.

Retro Helix

Does anyone know when the window opens?

Just kidding.

I’m not sure about De Ligt. Very good player, no doubt about that, but we have our own in Joe Gomez. His partnership with VVD in the first half of the season had the lot, and I want to see it resumed next season. Going deeper into the squad, Matip has done very well indeed and is a fine third choice. I’m not a fan of Lovren, particularly, and I see him as fourth choice and vulnerable to departure, mostly to play more.

If we sign De Ligt I won’t complain, but it would be overkill in that position in my opinion. De Ligt and Gomez would have a straight fight to partner VVD, so one VERY good young defender will miss out, right at the time they are carving out a career for themselves at the highest level, and needing to play. Matip will be pushed down the order and presumably Lovren will be off.
True. Priority signing in defence must be backup for Robertson.

BigJon

Just a small conspiracy theory...
Is it possible that LFC pulled out of the Fekir signing because Shaqiri (who was considerably cheaper) agreed to Sign? I recall it all happened around the same time.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
True. Priority signing in defence must be backup for Robertson.
That being said, 3 of our 4 first team CBs are injury prone and Joe Gomez is one of them sad to say. VVD needs a partner alongside him who's going to be there for at least 30 games over a season. I'd rather it were Gomez as he's clearly a quality player but he keeps picking up serious injuries.

Lovren definitely needs replacing imo for 2 reasons: One, well he's not that good and two, he's been consistently unavailable for long stretches because of persistent niggles.

Red over the water

Just a small conspiracy theory...
Is it possible that LFC pulled out of the Fekir signing because Shaqiri (who was considerably cheaper) agreed to Sign? I recall it all happened around the same time.
My view on this one is a few circumstances prompted a bit of a rethink.

I think we were willing to give Karius a chance to bounce back. He had 10 clean sheets in 19 games last season, and there were mitigating factors in his errors in the final against Real Madrid. So we circled the wagons and got behind him... except he didn’t respond well. Had he come out and bossed it in preseason he might have put the final behind him and gone on to become a solid goalkeeper for us. But instead he went from not fully convincing to a bag of nerves. He kept making errors in preseason, and I’m certain that prompted a rethink.

Alisson became available, and with Courtois going to Madrid we needed to be decisive, and we were.

It was a smidge harsh on Karius, as he didn’t look too bad in half a season of football, again 10 clean sheets in 19, and it seemed there was something to build on, but he fell apart and so we snapped up the best in the business.

It’s tough at the top!

That had an impact on the overall budget, and once there were question marks over Fekir’s knee, it seemed our willingness to extend ourselves there evaporated, not least while we were nursing back to health another attacking midfielder with a big knee injury that wiped out a season. All of a sudden the risk-reward for Fekir didn’t stack up. Shaqiri was available for a deflated price, presumably some relegation special deal, so we took advantage. We added squad depth for £13M which is nothing really, and even if he hasn’t been close to a main player, he has made a contribution, and if we sold him we’d double our money.

Big signings in VVD, Keita, Fabinho and Alisson (not all summer) plus the question mark over Fekir’s knee, meant we went with a cheaper option in Shaqiri as the opportunity presented itself.

This summer I’m confident we will sign a higher quality player for the front third of the pitch, to rotate in with the main three and hopefully not drop the level.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
My view on this one is a few circumstances prompted a bit of a rethink.

I think we were willing to give Karius a chance to bounce back. He had 10 clean sheets in 19 games last season, and there were mitigating factors in his errors in the final against Real Madrid. So we circled the wagons and got behind him... except he didn’t respond well. Had he come out and bossed it in preseason he might have put the final behind him and gone on to become a solid goalkeeper for us. But instead he went from not fully convincing to a bag of nerves. He kept making errors in preseason, and I’m certain that prompted a rethink.

Alisson became available, and with Courtois going to Madrid we needed to be decisive, and we were.

It was a smidge harsh on Karius, as he didn’t look too bad in half a season of football, again 10 clean sheets in 19, and it seemed there was something to build on, but he fell apart and so we snapped up the best in the business.

It’s tough at the top!

That had an impact on the overall budget, and once there were question marks over Fekir’s knee, it seemed our willingness to extend ourselves there evaporated, not least while we were nursing back to health another attacking midfielder with a big knee injury that wiped out a season. All of a sudden the risk-reward for Fekir didn’t stack up. Shaqiri was available for a deflated price, presumably some relegation special deal, so we took advantage. We added squad depth for £13M which is nothing really, and even if he hasn’t been close to a main player, he has made a contribution, and if we sold him we’d double our money.

Big signings in VVD, Keita, Fabinho and Alisson (not all summer) plus the question mark over Fekir’s knee, meant we went with a cheaper option in Shaqiri as the opportunity presented itself.

This summer I’m confident we will sign a higher quality player for the front third of the pitch, to rotate in with the main three and hopefully not drop the level.
I think we were always intending to sign Alisson if a deal could be had with Roma and the player, it had little to do with the final and didn't affect the budget.

There was money put aside for Fekir that apparently wasn't spent when we walked away from that deal, and is still there. The plan had been Fekir +1 other. Shaqiri was on the list of others but reportedly near the top of it. For whatever reason he was the only one picked.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
As big a fan of Milner as i am, i am not sure i would be offering him a new contract given his age and style of play. At some point that is going to catch up with him. Unless the plan is to gradually phase him into the coaching set up.

As for the news about a new contract for Klopp, that would be great - a no brainer - however, doesnt he already have 3 years left on the current one - so talk of the 5 year deal means we only get an additional 2 years (which is obviously better than nothing but i would be much happier if it is 5 years in addition to the 3 remaining!) or is my maths wrong on this one?

Last edited:

big noyd

if gomez is going to be the primary backup at right back--and he is the fastest player on the team--there's room for somebody else at CB if lovren departs, as matip is frequently unavailable due to niggles

with keita & ox returning to the fold there should be less game time in midfield for milner, and he's shown that he can play left back at a pretty high level

unorthodox approach to fullback depth but maybe it's the direction we go in

Limiescouse

if gomez is going to be the primary backup at right back--and he is the fastest player on the team--there's room for somebody else at CB if lovren departs, as matip is frequently unavailable due to niggles

with keita & ox returning to the fold there should be less game time in midfield for milner, and he's shown that he can play left back at a pretty high level

We have unorthodox full backs. An unorthodox approach to supplementing/supporting what we have already is probably the best approach.

With the style we play and the things Trent and Robbo bring to the team I think we lose something with almost any other FB coming in no matter how good. The key to what they do is they are both proper footballers who could play at a decent level in midfield. I'd say wed do well to get better replacements than we already have in Milly, Gini, Hendo.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member

It's the direction we've been going for quite a while now.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Leverkusen have signed Demirbay, which could meant that Brandt leaves the club. Would be a terrific signing imo.

We were heavily linked with him as well (didn't believe it personally) he's a good player just not what we need. Brandt on the other hand, screams an Edwards/Klopp roadtrip to Blackpool type deal.

Really good article on potential attackers and why we'd be targeting them.. Brandt features.

nikz200

So Espn has us linked with James Maddison from Leicester. To be frank i don't rate the guy , i do rate Demarai Gray on their team who i think would be a excellent role player if we got him in. Brandt is a long shot, especially if Bayern Munich want him to replace Robben and Ribery.........

Also some Manchester united people claim the release clause for Dybala is 86mil pounds, which if is the case, we can all hope that we pull the trigger. Same if De Ligt is available.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Dybala seems like the kind of bloke who'd get a 200 page transfer thread all to himself, only for him to go to some other team and for it to turn out that he was never close to coming here after all.

Things are changing around here though, maybe it could happen. He's probably got a cunty agent who would push him towards Spain or something I feel though.

GaryBarlow99

Dybala seems like the kind of bloke who'd get a 200 page transfer thread all to himself, only for him to go to some other team and for it to turn out that he was never close to coming here after all.

Things are changing around here though, maybe it could happen. He's probably got a cunty agent who would push him towards Spain or something I feel though.
His brother is his agent apparently. Seems a relative can be even worse to deal with if you look at Neymar, Rabiot, etc.

I'd love Dybala. He was the one I would have looked at as soon as the Fekir deal collapsed. We'll see what happens but if we are offering a new deal to Origi and Brewster will be given games next year we might only bring in one attacking player this summer.

Jah_Pool

So Espn has us linked with James Maddison from Leicester. To be frank i don't rate the guy , i do rate Demarai Gray on their team who i think would be a excellent role player if we got him in. Brandt is a long shot, especially if Bayern Munich want him to replace Robben and Ribery.........

Also some Manchester united people claim the release clause for Dybala is 86mil pounds, which if is the case, we can all hope that we pull the trigger. Same if De Ligt is available.
If we go for any Foxes players, I would hope its Tielemans. This kid has the size and the eye for goal that we should be looking for. In 13 games for the Foxes he's had 3 goals and 5 assists from midfield. I would take a punt on him replacing MIlner or Lallana

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
If we go for any Foxes players, I would hope its Tielemans. This kid has the size and the eye for goal that we should be looking for. In 13 games for the Foxes he's had 3 goals and 5 assists from midfield. I would take a punt on him replacing MIlner or Lallana
He's still a Monaco player and there's no agreed fee clause with Leicester. Was always a massive talent, really wanted us to go after him at anderlecht. He's showed how well suited to the league he is too.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Was shocked to see him some how end up at Leicster but not so surprised to see the impact he's had. Wonder what kind of fee would be looked to sign him permanently?

Limiescouse

Was shocked to see him some how end up at Leicster but not so surprised to see the impact he's had. Wonder what kind of fee would be looked to sign him permanently?
I dont think it would take much to sign him. Monaco got him relatively cheaply (about 20 million) and while hes still got a few years left on that contract, hes not done much to justify them making a big increase on that.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
With regards to de Ligt it's almost like the first half of the season has been forgotten. Gomez was absolutely fantastic. Yes he has had his injury problems but why would you bring in another young player in his position who would stunt his development?
Unless the reports on his injuries and recovery are much worse than the club have led everyone to believe, I can't see Klopp giving up on him.

He has spent the last three years trimming down the squads to impress upon young talent to come here, develop and if you're good enough you will get a chance. How does that fit with signing Dr Ligt and playing him over Gomez?

That Mundo article smells to me like Barca already have a deal and want to pretend that they fought us for him and won.

Lallana20

Don't think this is unreliable but don't know where else to post it so I'll just put it here I guess.

"Nottingham Forest are making an ambitious move for Adam Lallana. He is surplus to requirements at Liverpool and Evangelos Marinakis is willing to potentially break the club record fee to sign him, however the fee is expected to be somewhere in the vicinity of £13m, the same fee paid for Joao Carvalho 12 months ago. "

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
With regards to de Ligt it's almost like the first half of the season has been forgotten. Gomez was absolutely fantastic. Yes he has had his injury problems but why would you bring in another young player in his position who would stunt his development?
We could be choosing to play 3 at the back more? Let’s face it De Ligt, Van Dijk and Gomez is a fucking cream back 3.

Do you not think we’ve relied on Virgil a lot this season, and having geniun options available we can rotate with him is a positive for the club. I also think if De Ligt comes in Lovren leaves, which for me is a win win.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
We could be choosing to play 3 at the back more? Let’s face it De Ligt, Van Dijk and Gomez is a fucking cream back 3.

Do you not think we’ve relied on Virgil a lot this season, and having geniun options available we can rotate with him is a positive for the club. I also think if De Ligt comes in Lovren leaves, which for me is a win win.
I don't see us playing a three. Klopps entire career has involved a four with the odd exception. Given how well we've performed this season, changing that significantly would be huge- especially just to fit in a young CB.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There's enough room at a club likely to play 50+ games a season for 3 top class CBs. Especially when one has so far been dogged by injuries (Gomez) and one will need a bedding in period Keita/Fabinho/Robertson style (De Ligt/alternative). We can't move forward with a starting 11. Not playing in as many comps as we do.

Ballymun Red

Don't think this is unreliable but don't know where else to post it so I'll just put it here I guess.

"Nottingham Forest are making an ambitious move for Adam Lallana. He is surplus to requirements at Liverpool and Evangelos Marinakis is willing to potentially break the club record fee to sign him, however the fee is expected to be somewhere in the vicinity of £13m, the same fee paid for Joao Carvalho 12 months ago. "
snap their hands off if that's true,lad can't stay fit.

he seems to fancy himself a bit so surely he'll try to get a transfer to a team in the prem.