The Unreliable Rumours Thread

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
L'Equipe reporting that we are in for Nicolas Pepe for £70 million :shocked:
Star lol reporting that we've agreed to a £43m deal for Timo Werner and are close to agreeing personal terms

Edit: Just getting everyone ready for silly season
True,but I’d still take Werner!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I see it's started. Reports emanating from Spain, of course.

BBC gossip page:
Liverpool's Egypt forward Mohamed Salah, 26, wants to leave the club and plans to hand in a transfer request. (As.com - in Spanish)
However, Salah's agent Ramy Abbas Issa has refuted the reports on social media. (Twitter)

Neukolln

L'Equipe reporting that we are in for Nicolas Pepe for £70 million :shocked:
Star lol reporting that we've agreed to a £43m deal for Timo Werner and are close to agreeing personal terms

Edit: Just getting everyone ready for silly season
Nicholas Pepe is 100% a Jurgen Klopp player. He would be a force here. That said, my belief is Bayern will eventually get him.

Also, there's a gal on Twitter (KatherineYNWA) that claims to know a "reliable journalist in Germany" and says Jovic, Werner and De Ligt all made their decisions for next season and none involve Liverpool. Take all that FWIW. Silly season.

Nothing has been said and no links to Liverpool, but another player that would be a dynamo under Klopp is one of Mane's Senegal National Teammates, Ismaila Sarr. (Recently linked with Arsenal and Everton)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
werner's going to be sold to bayern in the end, isn't he?
Hopefully, stops them signing somebody better.

We shouldn't be going for Werner when we have a potentially better player in Brewster at the club waiting for some minutes. Would be disappointed to see us sign him, personally.

Brandt, on the other hand, is a no brainer. This Pepe chap looks like a player too.

big noyd

rate werner more highly than you, personally, but not that bothered about it. just seems like it's going to be the same kabuki theater bullshit there was with goretzka, even if the situations aren't identical as werner isn't out of contract

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I can see where Brandt gets his time on the pitch, and signing him would address a midfield creativity question (which Hendo is doing his best to answer, to be fair) and provide some cover for Salah and Mane.

Werner, not so much. Bobby is locked down in that position.

MW2833

We shouldn't be going for Werner when we have a potentially better player in Brewster at the club waiting for some minutes. Would be disappointed to see us sign him, personally.
Why not? Werner can play on the left as well as through the middle and I'm fine with Origi staying, but our number one backup for the front three has to be better than Shaqiri, Origi or Brewster's current level.
If Werner is available for approx the 40mil price, then I would prefer him over Nicolas Pepe.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Why not? Werner can play on the left as well as through the middle and I'm fine with Origi staying, but our number one backup for the front three has to be better than Shaqiri, Origi or Brewster's current level.
If Werner is available for approx the 40mil price, then I would prefer him over Nicolas Pepe.
Brewster isn't as limited technically as Werner IMO, and if given the chance it won't be long before he's proven a better player.

And he's already here. Given that they are pretty much the exact same type of player, I don't see a need for Werner. Werner is a good player, but nothing special.

Nikola

Potless.
Admin
Hopefully, stops them signing somebody better.

Brandt, on the other hand, is a no brainer. This Pepe chap looks like a player too.
I hope Brewster (and Gomez and AOC) stay fit, first and foremost. If they don't have any major fitness issues throughout their respective careers, I assume they will do very, very well, hopefully for Liverpool. I won't compare Brewster with Werner given that the former hasn't even played for the first team but Liverpool-related journos claimed that Klopp promised he wouldn't sign a new forward to block his path, that does it for me. That said, I still think signing a two-sided, pacy winger like Hudson-Odoi would be the best option but if Klopp really goes back in for Brandt, I'm all for it.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
The issue with Brandt is he is not really a goalscorer so if he is going to rotate with Mane or Salah his output needs to improve a lot.
Wouldn't Brandt now be considered for the Fekir role we were looking at last summer? He doesn't play on the wing for them anymore , obviously he can cover rw and lw but he seems really suited to the 8 role a bit like another Ox.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Wouldn't Brandt now be considered for the Fekir role we were looking at last summer? He doesn't play on the wing for them anymore , obviously he can cover rw and lw but he seems really suited to the 8 role a bit like another Ox.
You are assuming Fekir was being bought to play the 8 role and not cover the flanks. I dont think that has ever been established has it? Having signed Fabinho and Keita for midfield, i dont think it is clear cut that he was bought primarily for the 8 spot, although he may have found himself used there.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
You are assuming Fekir was being bought to play the 8 role and not cover the flanks. I dont think that has ever been established has it? Having signed Fabinho and Keita for midfield, i dont think it is clear cut that he was bought primarily for the 8 spot, although he may have found himself used there.

No none of us can know that for sure but it doesn't take much to look at the types of forwards we have and use to come to the conclusion that although he may have been able to cover in the wide areas he most likely was targeted to play the most advanced and creative midfield spot.
Brandt would definitely be an interesting one to see where he would primarily be used though.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
rate werner more highly than you, personally, but not that bothered about it. just seems like it's going to be the same kabuki theater bullshit there was with goretzka, even if the situations aren't identical as werner isn't out of contract
I think a bit of kabuki would certainly animate the transfer window. I'd like to see the players' agents doing this:

GaryBarlow99

Probably, which is why I would prefer a Fekir/Coutinho/Dybala type who creates and scores or a goalscorer in the Werner/Pepe mould instead of another Ox. I can't see Lallana leaving in the summer so he will most likely cover the 8 position as well. Interesting to see what we do in the summer.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Does Pepe only play off the right, or? If so, if we're getting him, then Shaqiri is obviously off.

lol

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Danny_

Ajax must have some very good players. I haven't been watching them this season but any team that thrashes Real Madrid and then also beats Juve has to be pretty good. I saw the highlights of the Juve game and they could have won it by more if they had taken their chances. Obviously, there is De Light who is supposed to be an amazing CB. Other than that, who would you want from that team? We need to strengthen at FB position and get another top class forward in.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Ajax must have some very good players. I haven't been watching them this season but any team that thrashes Real Madrid and then also beats Juve has to be pretty good. I saw the highlights of the Juve game and they could have won it by more if they had taken their chances. Obviously, there is De Light who is supposed to be an amazing CB. Other than that, who would you want from that team? We need to strengthen at FB position and get another top class forward in.
Ziyech, but I also thought Tadic was a handful when he was at Southampton; De Light obviously but it seems there are too many suitors for him. Love Ajax but they just have become a feeder club, and all these stars will be picked off once again.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
BBC gossip page:
Liverpool and Arsenal are ready to launch bids for Borussia Monchengladbach's 26-year-old Belgian midfielder Thorgan Hazard. (Star)
Liverpool have contacted Lille about signing Ivory Coast forward Nicolas Pepe, 23. (Le10 Sport, via Mirror)

Red Submarine

Believer
Ziyech, but I also thought Tadic was a handful when he was at Southampton; De Light obviously but it seems there are too many suitors for him. Love Ajax but they just have become a feeder club, and all these stars will be picked off once again.
One of the things we have in our favour is VVD being here. They're partners in the Dutch national team (obviously) and play really well together. Plus, with our set up now we're a mouth-watering proposition for any young player looking to play on the world stage! I think we have a very good shout at signing him :-) Hope so!

Drubas

Hope Thorgan doesn’t have his brother’s habit of only turning up when he feels like it.
Thorgan is good, but not a typical Klopp player if you ask me. Add his age to the equation and I just don't see it.

I think Zaha is a blueprint Klopp player. Powerful, quick, tall and can play any wide position and forward. One of the best players 1v1. I think those rumors are, to some extent, true.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Thorgan is good, but not a typical Klopp player if you ask me. Add his age to the equation and I just don't see it.

I think Zaha is a blueprint Klopp player. Powerful, quick, tall and can play any wide position and forward. One of the best players 1v1. I think those rumors are, to some extent, true.
I don't see Zaha being a target. His work off the ball doesn't impress. His stats similarly are not particularly impressive either considering Palace play through him.