The Unreliable Rumours Thread

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Neres is a very, versatile player. He used to play for São Paulo as a right winger, but he soon was sold to Ajax. At Ajax, in 16/17 and 17/18 he played as a right winger mostly, but in 18/19, Ziyech went to the right winger and Neres to the left winger, but has played a few games as a number 8 in 4-3-3. Now he plays mostly on the left wing.

He is a good dribbler, has some good pace and his movement is also very good for a teenager. Even though he's scored a lot of goals in the past 2 years, I'd say he is not exactly a great finisher. Oh, and I think he could bulk a little bit more, I think he would suffer a little bit in England.

As a Brazilian, I'm kind of surprised about how good he looks, especially in big games.

But if we are looking for a versatile winger, with great dribbling and a better finisher, I'd totally recommend Grêmio's Everton. He is better than Neres imo, a more complete player and more decisive. He is the best player in Brazil for the past two years. He's been linked with City and Milan and 100% will leave in the summer. I think he might be on the same level as Mané, or pretty close, but with better dribbling skills and finishing.
Everton goal sinks everton. The possibility of that

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
Talking about a club that named their main store Everton Two because it was based in Liverpool One and it'd read like a scoreline. They'd honestly probably prefer that headline than any other LFC player listed.
I’m surprised that the marketing meeting where they came up with that idea isn’t on their end of season DVD.

vzok

They were obviously thinking of relative league table placings when they came up with that one.

Joe Gomez x

Of all the rumours I've read recently, the Federico Chiesa one is the most interesting. He has clearly outgrown Fiorentina this season and his top level is spectacular. As a player, he would fit Klopp's style perfectly.
Works well in my Liverpool Football Manager 19 save, so I’m all for him. lol

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
My point was that it is unlikely to buy a 26 year old player that doesn't tick all the boxes.

Zaha ticks all the boxes.
He really doesn't. One of the most selfish players in the league when it comes to holding onto the ball. Would rather take on 3 defenders then pass to a better placed team mate, doesn't have great goals or assists, doesn't work hard off the ball, football IQ isn't the best either.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Zaha does not tick all the boxes and would be extremely expensive, but I don't understand why so many downplay his ability. Besides Hazard's little spell against us Zaha was the most frightening player I've seen at Anfield this season, including Mbappe, Neymar, Insigne, Sterling, Aguero etc. His ability when running with the ball is insane.

Now, whether he'd be able to adapt to a bigger team and having less of a free role is another issue. I'm not convinced either way. It'd be tougher to double up on him if he was in our side but would his decision making let him down? Not sure.

One thing I am sure of though is that Roy wants Zaha to be selfish, that is not a fair criticism. The amount of penalties, free kicks and corners he wins is insane. It's all a part of their game plan, gain territory without having to throw too many players forward.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Don’t forget folks that upgrading our current team (first 11) is phenomonally tricky given that every player in our first 15 is verging on world class. That being that they wouldn’t look out of place in a world 11. You don’t buy any possition for less that £50m who’s a clear upgrade.

Wow :-)

Nikola

Potless.
Admin
Zaha does not tick all the boxes and would be extremely expensive, but I don't understand why so many downplay his ability. Besides Hazard's little spell against us Zaha was the most frightening player I've seen at Anfield this season, including Mbappe, Neymar, Insigne, Sterling, Aguero etc. His ability when running with the ball is insane.

Now, whether he'd be able to adapt to a bigger team and having less of a free role is another issue. I'm not convinced either way. It'd be tougher to double up on him if he was in our side but would his decision making let him down? Not sure.

One thing I am sure of though is that Roy wants Zaha to be selfish, that is not a fair criticism. The amount of penalties, free kicks and corners he wins is insane. It's all a part of their game plan, gain territory without having to throw too many players forward.
Fully agreed on the points you make but maybe people have reservations over him because of his failed Man United spell or, in my case, because his team's game is based on counter-attacking and I don't think he's near Mane's level of "appreciation" of every bit of grass ahead of him - he works best when he can isolate his fullback and have a go at him when starting from deeper and usually near the byline. For the most part, teams have defended deep against Klopp's Liverpool and I'm not really sure that Zaha would contribute much when there are nine or ten players ahead of him and his teammates.

That said, I like Hudson-Odoi a lot and to me he seems like a new and improved Zaha. He has similar ability and style of play but I think he has better "playmaking" qualities, so to speak, and I think he's bound to score more than Zaha. Regardless of the name, it would be nice to add a winger/forward capable of playing on both flanks. Mane and Salah rarely get a breather these days and I assume it's because of significant drop-off in quality between them and substitutes. That said, because of quality of these two, I presume the new guy will be someone young enough to improve but also understand his role in the team. Zaha and Pepe links are nice but I don't buy links with 50+ million pounds players who are, at least initially, supposed to be a part of rotation more often than regular starters.

Sweeting

I would buy Zaha in a heartbeat. I think he can learn intricacies of Klopp's system once he gets here - Robertson, Keita and Fabinho have all had well publicised adaptation periods.

Appreciate Hudson-Odoi is a good talent but Zaha is a top class player in his prime age right now, not in 3 or 4 years time (and even then might never transition to being a player as good as Zaha).

Kopstar

★★★★★
Liverpool want £40 million for Grujic and Atletico Madrid are interested(ESPN)
This Edwards is a miracle man
Only if he gets it and even then some will attribute it to other factors if it still looks a good bit of business a few years down the line or totally his fault for selling him (cheaply) if he's worth twice that in two years.

Red over the water

The way that fees are going it wouldn't surprise me. Grujic has been doing well in Berlin. He's borderline worth a place in our squad, and it may be best for all concerned if he moves on. We get a decent fee and can reinvest, and he didn't quite make it at with the double winning Liverpool side.

I'll take that.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I'd actually like to see Zaha here too, and doubly, how he would do up top, he's a big lad. We could waste a lot more on many other unproven versatile attackers, but it is a realistic criticism that he just looks a renegade type and to what extent he would (agree to) fit in to Klopps model is far less clearer, than say Mo or Mane. A bit of a wild card is Zaha.

Last edited:

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Zaha and Pepe links are nice but I don't buy links with 50+ million pounds players who are, at least initially, supposed to be a part of rotation more often than regular starters.
I think as supporters it's hard because it's alien to us but we may have to get used to it. All the successful sides have done it for years prices relative to the times of course, but we want to be able to start or sub players into the team with little or no drop in quality and given just how amazing this team is then that means 50m players on our bench. City can have either of the Silvas, Mahrez and Sane all on the bench for big games, we need to have it too, there's plenty of game time for more quality players.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
I've said this before but i'd stay clear of Zaha,he's ok going forward and a handfull at times but the reason our team is where it's at,is because everyone does a shift and works for eachother,Mane and Salah drop back and help out the midfield and full backs,thats not in Zaha's locker at all.

You watch him when he's off the ball or lost it out on the wing in the oppositions half,he'll run back to the halfway line looking like he's attempting to track back but then as soon as it goes 10 yards back into his own half,he'll pull up and start walking,expecting the full back to cover his arse.

For me he's a fast winger/forward and thats it,when you take into account that he's one of/if not the main focal point in CP's attack,his career record is piss poor,he's more than a 1 in 6 goal scorer,he's never hit double figures in assists or scoring during his career either (with the exception of this year 13 goals/3 assists but only 9 in the league).

I think he's better suited at being a big fish in a small pond rather than the small fish in a big one,he's not for me.I'd rather us take a punt on Pepe,Depay,Lozano or Bergwijn all have much better goals/assist records,all younger than Zaha and for me have a much bigger possibility of being turned into a star player by Klopp.

Herb

My question about him would be over his mentality and work ethic which I must admit are concerns that stem mainly from second hand viewpoints. Hardly see any of Palace other than when they are against us or on MOTD, he looks great on a highlight reel and I don’t think there’s much doubting his ability. I quite like the fact that there’s a pretty huge fear factor around him from any team that comes up against him, that surely is a testament to the ability he possesses.

I just wonder how he would cope in a team that isn’t completely geared towards allowing him to function as the main man, with the added difficulty of playing against teams that are going to be far more reserved than they are when they face Palace. Though saying that, in a perverse way maybe he’d get even more joy here considering he always seems to be doubled up on, with the likes of Salah and Mané around teams are more likely to attempt to nullify those threats before him.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I just imagine opposing fullbacks looking over when we're up by one goal in the 70th minute and seeing Zaha getting ready to come on. They'd not be too happy. With all due respect to origi or shaqiri, we don't have anything like that at the moment. Or coming on down a goal, and pushing Mane or Salah closer to Firmino. It all sounds good to me.

I have faith klopp can motivate him to put in a shift on the defensive side and work without the ball. Not worried about that a bit.

I've said before I'd be willing to blow about our entire budget on Zaha and I'd be happy. No idea what we'll do, and incredibly calm about it, but some sort of attacking winger would be very nice.

Red over the water

Before we signed Robertson I thought the days of signing Robertson-type players were over; picking up established players under contract with the capability of improving our first team for relatively small fees (and little competition).

Are those days over now?
It’s a good question and my answer would be no they are not, but they are getting more and more rare as each year goes by.

Back in the day we plucked incredible players from small teams: Keegan from Scunthorpe, Rush from Chester, Neal from Northampton, etc. We could all pile on and come up with a very long list.

Since then squads have grown bigger, the various levels below the first team more organized, and the game has become truly international. So you could make a case for those days being gone. Almost.

I say almost because I’m a bit of a football romantic, and I firmly believe before too long we will do it again. Having said that, the relatively small fee will still probably be £10M or so, maybe even more accounting for inflation, but I’m confident that good scouting and good coaching will see us slot one or two gems into the side at low cost.

I love the balance of the back four we’ve been playing - very expensive central defender (worth every penny) plus Bosman or cheap youth signing from Charlton, plus academy right back and cheap left back. If you average it all out we are getting a lot for the money spent, and long may it continue.

LFCFFC

Our back 5 really emphasises the diverse nature of our approach to transfers and developing players. Yes there are two world record signings, but they've both been worth every penny and their fees are somewhat balanced by spending barely £10M on the remaining 3-4 starters who are all quality defenders in their own right.

I see no reason why that approach doesn't continue. The scouts will have identified their targets who they believe will be most suited to the roles we're trying to fill, and we'll likely spend whatever we need to acquire them, regardless of whether that's £50M or £5M. The decisiveness and lack of panic in our transfers dealings these last few years has been so refreshing.

From the little snippets we've been provided by Klopp in his interviews, it would seem that we're targeting depth rather than improving the first XI, which is totally reasonable given the season we're having. I would hazard a guess that players like Bergwijn and Neres would be more likely than someone like Zaha, who may not be willing to leave Palace to take up a positions on our bench rather than being a guaranteed starter at somewhere like Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea. In saying that, we're probably one of the most attractive propositions in world football right now, which is only going to help us continue to reinforce and improve the squad. It's a bloody exciting time to be a Liverpool fan.

vjcpatriot

Zaha was simply devastating against Arsenal.

That being said, he has yet to hit double digit goals in the premier league. I don't doubt that he will this time around, but just barely so.

A combination of Brandt and Werner would score + assist more than Zaha and cost the same amount out of pocket. I'd rather get two players who can fill multiple roles for the money that Zaha would command to be a rotation player for us. He certainly wouldn't oust Mane or Salah from either starting wing position.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I just imagine opposing fullbacks looking over when we're up by one goal in the 70th minute and seeing Zaha getting ready to come on. They'd not be too happy. With all due respect to origi or shaqiri, we don't have anything like that at the moment. Or coming on down a goal, and pushing Mane or Salah closer to Firmino. It all sounds good to me.

I have faith klopp can motivate him to put in a shift on the defensive side and work without the ball. Not worried about that a bit.

I've said before I'd be willing to blow about our entire budget on Zaha and I'd be happy. No idea what we'll do, and incredibly calm about it, but some sort of attacking winger would be very nice.
Shaqiri isn't getting much playing time as a forward in part because of a lack of defensive work rate. Studge barely gets minutes because he cant do the defensive side. We brought on Firmino against Porto to help tighten the game up last week - and save the legs of other players on the pitch.

I therefore don't see Klopp signing someone who for big money hasn't already shown that defensive side to their game.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I remember all the same comments being made about Mane and Salah - that they were good going forwards but wouldn't help/were lazy defensively. Now look at them.
Mane's defensive stats were always quite good though. Some people just werent willing to acknowledge that at the time. I don't know if the same applied to Salah but he and Mane were younger than Zaha is now, and Hodgson isn't a manager known for allowing his forwards to slack off from their defensive stint.

I'm more comfortable with the idea of signing him seeing both you and @ILLOK supportive of the move. He is clearly talented, and i wish we could have got him before Utd did (or he was that young now!).

But I can't help but think back to that game against Bournemouth where we went 3-0 up and still didn't win - and Klopps comments afterwards about controlling the game.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I remember all the same comments being made about Mane and Salah - that they were good going forwards but wouldn't help/were lazy defensively. Now look at them.
I think that was lazy stereotyping though. Posters made out a player would need to be like Firmino or Kuyt to fit Klopps tactics. Mane has maybe got a little more defensive but he put in a shift at Southampton. I'd actually argue that it's possible Salah did more defensive work at Roma as we play him higher and as our player with the least defensive responsibility. I'm not going to pretend I watched Roma a lot though and I could definitely be wrong though. My worry with Zaha is he has played under managers that would traditionally get defensive work out of their players such as Roy. Due to his threat levels they may give him a pass on that so he can always be available as an out ball. We aren't there during team talks and training sessions. I think he's good and if Klopp thinks he could work with him I'll optimistically predict he could become great. But Klopp tried to bring in Mbappe, Dembele and Sancho "before they were famous" and I'd say we are perfectly set to bring in a Good, exciting, young attacker with the potential to develop into someone very special under Klopp. Maybe even still Sancho. Playing Devils Advocate Zaha may potentially add a little more to the current squad over the first season or two than Sancho or Hudson-Odoi or Sessegnon but I think, long term, those deals would be better.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Before we signed Robertson I thought the days of signing Robertson-type players were over; picking up established players under contract with the capability of improving our first team for relatively small fees (and little competition).

Are those days over now?
When you consider we will probably sell Wilson for £25-30m you really have to hunt around for a bargain.