The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
David Ornstein reckons it's 2 in, a young left back or a versatile player that can play there and a versatile attacker. Also saying brandt definitely won't be happening.

If the market is going to be crazier than normal owing to the number of teams desperately rebuilding this summer, then i can see an argument for keeping out of it unless you can get exactly what you want at the right price.

The Infamous

Get greizmann in still in his peak. Can cover Salah,firmino and Mane plus shadow striker. Will be reasonably cheap maybe 60million. He hasn’t had the best of luck with his career moves but he could be a Klopp player

The Infamous

They are smoking spice if they buy him for that

There was rumbles from athletico in the winter that they should have took the 90million and ran last year and he was not scoring or enjoying his football. One year later considering everything he is leaving for basically the same price barca are finished. He isn’t really what they need

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Interested in all this talk about De Ligt,agood player who might be worth looking at,if the price is right.
However the figures being bandied around suggest he is not worth totally silly money to us.
Matip has been good this season,injuries aside,Lovren,never been convinced,still aren't,too many brainfarts.
Gomez,good player but you'd have to worries about his injuries given his age.
If you take injuries out of the equation a new player is going to be 3rd or 4 th choice initially.
In the end,another CB is probably required,but not breaking the bank.

Retro Helix

With regards to de Ligt it's almost like the first half of the season has been forgotten. Gomez was absolutely fantastic. Yes he has had his injury problems but why would you bring in another young player in his position who would stunt his development?
I don't think it would stunt his development. We need to look at the bigger picture here and not just rely on our starting 11. What we need is a solid/reliable squad to carry us through the season. The more competent players we have, the more we will be allowed to rotate and avoid fatigue/injuries as well as compete in all cups. Lovren and Moreno are not reliable nor consistent for the past 5 years so regarding the defence, I don't see why we shouldn't bring in De Ligt if possible as well as backup for Robertson. It's about time Lovren and Moreno move on.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist

There was rumbles from athletico in the winter that they should have took the 90million and ran last year and he was not scoring or enjoying his football. One year later considering everything he is leaving for basically the same price barca are finished. He isn’t really what they need
They gave us140m quid for couninho so Its obviously more than spice that they are smoking

GaryBarlow99

I don't think it would stunt his development. We need to look at the bigger picture here and not just rely on our starting 11. What we need is a solid/reliable squad to carry us through the season. The more competent players we have, the more we will be allowed to rotate and avoid fatigue/injuries as well as compete in all cups. Lovren and Moreno are not reliable nor consistent for the past 5 years so regarding the defence, I don't see why we shouldn't bring in De Ligt if possible as well as backup for Robertson. It's about time Lovren and Moreno move on.
I'm all for a big squad mate. In fact I've been quite open about wanting more attacking players this summer so we can compete with Manchester City. The reason I would be against de Ligt is that I think it would be a waste of money at this time with what we already have. I also don't think Lovren will be sold.

redfanman

TIA Regular
If Gomez is fit and not being picked because we've spunked up £75m on another CB, then yes, it probably does stunt his development. CBs dont need to be rotated as frequently as other positions and keeping the same partnership in place is usually preferable. If De Ligt isnt being picked - then he is the one at risk of seeing his development stall.

Anfield rd Dreamer

If Gomez is fit and not being picked because we've spunked up £75m on another CB, then yes, it probably does stunt his development. CBs dont need to be rotated as frequently as other positions and keeping the same partnership in place is usually preferable. If De Ligt isnt being picked - then he is the one at risk of seeing his development stall.
Not just De Ligt but any CB we bring in Gomez will have game time. First Klopp likes to slowly bring new signings in and introduce them after lots of time working with them (another benefit of any CB being young and under a long contract for the patience required for this). But conservative estimate we could well be playing 55-65 matches next season. Van Dijk has played too much this year at (probably) 50. Should really be 40-45 to keep him fit and sharp. That means there could be anywhere from 65 up to 90 starting slots for other CBs to play in. And it could be even more if we played every game that might be available to us or VvD picks up a knock somewhere and misses some. Bare minimum Gomez plays almost all his games at CB (and none at RB) without any major injury issues he gets maybe 35 starts and the new guy gets 30? I actually doubt even that happens which would mean some starts for Matip and maybe Hoever. It's much more likely they will all get more game time than they need.

Jamie91

Griezmann, De Jong and De Ligt would be a great summer for Barca.

Also, the signing of Griezmann should keep them away from Mane/Salah.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist

They gave us140m quid for couninho so Its obviously more than spice that they are smoking

NJLFCJake

I mean, what if Griezmann is coming to Liverpool. Didn't he say he's ready to experience new things and for a new challenge? I don't know why he wouldn't just come out and say that he's joining Barcelona if it was that finalized.

He has tweeted about Liverpool in the past so it might now be that much of a stretch ....

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Not just De Ligt but any CB we bring in Gomez will have game time. First Klopp likes to slowly bring new signings in and introduce them after lots of time working with them (another benefit of any CB being young and under a long contract for the patience required for this). But conservative estimate we could well be playing 55-65 matches next season. Van Dijk has played too much this year at (probably) 50. Should really be 40-45 to keep him fit and sharp. That means there could be anywhere from 65 up to 90 starting slots for other CBs to play in. And it could be even more if we played every game that might be available to us or VvD picks up a knock somewhere and misses some. Bare minimum Gomez plays almost all his games at CB (and none at RB) without any major injury issues he gets maybe 35 starts and the new guy gets 30? I actually doubt even that happens which would mean some starts for Matip and maybe Hoever. It's much more likely they will all get more game time than they need.
Re Gomez and his development: A young player will find his development severely impaired if he isn't fit for half to two thirds of a season I would have thought. I think that we can put Joe in the 'injury prone' category now unfortunately. Re Lovren and his niggles: There comes a time when you have to admit to yourself that you're not getting value for money from a player because he's hardly fit to play. Re Matip and his availability and overall quality: It's true that we were lucky with his fitness levels in the latter half of the season and he did look good next to VVD, but then who doesn't?

Ask yourself this: If VVD wasn't in the lineup, would you trust either Lovren or Matip to do the job for us? I would not. Gomez? Probably, but again his injury record excludes him from the equation to a large extent. For me the conclusion is an obvious one. We need a quality CB to partner VVD who will actually STAY FIT for most of the season. Lovren would be the main loser here. He simply is not cost effective. He should be moved on if possible. Matip and Gomez would get plenty of opportunities next season even with a new CB in the squad. We are going to need 4 good CBs next time around, at least 2 of which should be fitness-reliable.

rab

David Ornstein reckons it's 2 in, a young left back or a versatile player that can play there and a versatile attacker. Also saying brandt definitely won't be happening.

Don't buy this at all.

Firstly, how does one journalist seem to know the exact desires of all of the top six, their budgets and who they're willing to move on?

Secondly, there's no way we've got a pot of £20m. We're selling Danny Ings for £20m and we sold Solanke for nearly that in January. Yes the outgoings over the last couple windows have been out biggest in history and yes we've spent a huge sum on agents fees too but, the last seasons our net spend is about £105m-£110m or £35m a season.

We've made some damn astute signings and got some great fees for players we didn't really need. This summer Sturridge will be off the books and Moreno too as well as fringe players like Clyne, maybe Lallana, Mignolet and one or two others as well.

We've been to two CL finals and qualified for the knockout stages for next year already guaranteeing us a reasonable wedge immediately. Add in the increased commercial deals and even accounting for some improved player deals, there's no chance we're brassic. There's a new kit deal being lined up for next year too that will be the biggest in the clubs history and possibly one of the biggest in the world.

If the message is out there that we're keeping the purse strings tight, it's because we've wanted that message to get out.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez

This is very unreliable but we know that Liverpool like to come back for players they liked but couldn't previously sign... :-)
I think RedForever2014 would have a complete meltdown if we paid "what it takes" to sign Mbappe haha. Talking £300mil I reckon.

Although there was rumors of PSG's owners walking away completely.. It's the hope that kills you!

Limiescouse

That (the underlined) is not true, and it is not just not true at the absurd extremes. Just because you have the players to rotate does not mean that you will have no drop off. There is a sweet spot between having too few players to be able to cover for injuries and fatigue vs having more players than you can effectively use. As it stands, we have the best CB in the world. We have another young player only himself a year older than De Ligt, who before his injury repeatedly looked the more impressive of the two CBs. We also have Matip who for all his prior criticisms looked superb since getting back in the side and finally looking to be over his injury issues. Is there room for a 4th? Sure. Does it make sense for that person to cost a fee comparable or even more than VvD with the expectations that brings? I don't think it does. Not from a finance perspective (money is finite) nor from a personnel management perspective.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
I think RedForever2014 would have a complete meltdown if we paid "what it takes" to sign Mbappe haha. Talking £300mil I reckon.

Although there was rumors of PSG's owners walking away completely.. It's the hope that kills you!
Don’t worry- Agent Fabinho has been on the case all season.

Expect Mbappé to be announced on 2nd June.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
That (the underlined) is not true, and it is not just not true at the absurd extremes. Just because you have the players to rotate does not mean that you will have no drop off. There is a sweet spot between having too few players to be able to cover for injuries and fatigue vs having more players than you can effectively use. As it stands, we have the best CB in the world. We have another young player only himself a year older than De Ligt, who before his injury repeatedly looked the more impressive of the two CBs. We also have Matip who for all his prior criticisms looked superb since getting back in the side and finally looking to be over his injury issues. Is there room for a 4th? Sure. Does it make sense for that person to cost a fee comparable or even more than VvD with the expectations that brings? I don't think it does. Not from a finance perspective (money is finite) nor from a personnel management perspective.
Exactly - City with all their resources have had Fabian Delph and a raft of others at left back all season. They also had to play Stones as DM when Fernandinho got injured. There is only so much top tier depth you can retain without impacting on squad unhappiness.

It's why I think we keep going for multi-flexible players.. Fabinho plays no.6, no.8, right back and center back for example.

I would like to replace Lovren though.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
Hahaha- just had a peek at Oddschecker and we are second favourites (after Real Madrid) to sign Mbappé.

It’s on!!!!

Limiescouse

Not just De Ligt but any CB we bring in Gomez will have game time. First Klopp likes to slowly bring new signings in and introduce them after lots of time working with them (another benefit of any CB being young and under a long contract for the patience required for this). But conservative estimate we could well be playing 55-65 matches next season. Van Dijk has played too much this year at (probably) 50. Should really be 40-45 to keep him fit and sharp.
Where does this number come from? This means that if he played every league game this season he would have to sit out the entire group stage of the CL on a CL final run, and play in not a single other cup game to stay in even the upper level of that limit. There is no basis for thinking a first choice CB should be so voluntarily restricted.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Don't buy this at all.

Firstly, how does one journalist seem to know the exact desires of all of the top six, their budgets and who they're willing to move on?

Secondly, there's no way we've got a pot of £20m. We're selling Danny Ings for £20m and we sold Solanke for nearly that in January. Yes the outgoings over the last couple windows have been out biggest in history and yes we've spent a huge sum on agents fees too but, the last seasons our net spend is about £105m-£110m or £35m a season.

We've made some damn astute signings and got some great fees for players we didn't really need. This summer Sturridge will be off the books and Moreno too as well as fringe players like Clyne, maybe Lallana, Mignolet and one or two others as well.

We've been to two CL finals and qualified for the knockout stages for next year already guaranteeing us a reasonable wedge immediately. Add in the increased commercial deals and even accounting for some improved player deals, there's no chance we're brassic. There's a new kit deal being lined up for next year too that will be the biggest in the clubs history and possibly one of the biggest in the world.

If the message is out there that we're keeping the purse strings tight, it's because we've wanted that message to get out.

Yeah it makes zero sense and I agree with you , just posted it because Ornstein and the BBC are somewhat reliable.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Don't buy this at all.

Maybe he meant we had already spent the rest of the budget on players arriving 2 June :-) Hashtag incoming :-)

Kopstar

★★★★★

This is very unreliable but we know that Liverpool like to come back for players they liked but couldn't previously sign... :-)
OK, people, listen up. Since the silly season is creeping towards us, various attention seekers, trolls, online profiteers, etc. will crawl out of the woodwork and start posting all kinds of transfer-related stuff on Twitter, that will inevitably find its way to these boards. To keep the levels of discussion on these boards respectable, try to avoid such accounts. Aside from usual suspects, any account that copies a tweet and posts their source in the bracket at the end of it instead of simply retweeting it isn't welcome here. Do your best to post content from the original source.
Reported ;-)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Where does this number come from? This means that if he played every league game this season he would have to sit out the entire group stage of the CL on a CL final run, and play in not a single other cup game to stay in even the upper level of that limit. There is no basis for thinking a first choice CB should be so voluntarily restricted.
Someone in another post (not sure which thread) put the numbers up showing how rare it is for even the best CBs in the modern game to get to 50 games a season, even ones famous for being overplayed. VvD has hardly missed a game all season and avoided knocks and niggles. There's been games when he hasn't been his imperial best when tiredness seems to have been creeping in but luckily "not his best" is still fantastic. He's played 50 games being rested here or there is going to take him down to at least 45.