The Unreliable Rumours Thread

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
There's been games when he hasn't been his imperial best when tiredness seems to have been creeping in but luckily "not his best" is still fantastic.
When? I've seen this said a couple of times. I have never noticed Van Dijk looking overly fatigued when I've been at the game.

He's been ill a couple of times this season and has played through it, the second time of which was the only period I've thought Van Dijk has looked off the pace. Leicester and West Ham were two of his weakest games of the season. He's been imperious otherwise.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Someone in another post (not sure which thread) put the numbers up showing how rare it is for even the best CBs in the modern game to get to 50 games a season, even ones famous for being overplayed. VvD has hardly missed a game all season and avoided knocks and niggles. There's been games when he hasn't been his imperial best when tiredness seems to have been creeping in but luckily "not his best" is still fantastic. He's played 50 games being rested here or there is going to take him down to at least 45.
Here

Because we got knocked out at the first hurdle in each of the domestic cups. If we want to compete across four fronts and challenge for all trophies available I think we really need to be able to rest him (without doing so simply by being knocked out of competitions!) without a significant drop in quality.

50 games really is the upper amount a CB ought to be playing per season: Sol Campbell only did it twice in his career, John Terry managed it 5 times (not once after the age of 30), Carragher managed it 9 times. Carlos Puyol did it three times, Ramos twice, Pique's done it once, and Varane's never done it, nor did Cannavaro.

Limiescouse

Someone in another post (not sure which thread) put the numbers up showing how rare it is for even the best CBs in the modern game to get to 50 games a season, even ones famous for being overplayed. VvD has hardly missed a game all season and avoided knocks and niggles. There's been games when he hasn't been his imperial best when tiredness seems to have been creeping in but luckily "not his best" is still fantastic. He's played 50 games being rested here or there is going to take him down to at least 45.
It is not that rare. However, the limitation, where it exists, is in a club having that many important games in a season. When a club does, and they have a CB who has the lynchpin status that VvD does, it is not rare that such players play that many games. The issue is not physical, it is logistical.

And it should hopefully be clear that I am not saying that you cannot overuse a CB. I am however saying that the 50 games he's going to have played this season is not of much concern, especially for a CB who plays without ever having to get out of 3rd gear.

Red over the water

This past season we suffered a lot of injuries in the centre back department. Gomez was fantastic the first half of the season, then some Orc at Turf Moor slid across the wet turf, wrapped up Joe's standing leg, and broke it. So Gomez missed the second half of the season.

Lovren, the season before, was widely regarded as our second choice centre back. While always prone to a few jitters here and there, his defenders would point out that that stuff was overblown. He was strong, got stuck in, was decent in the air, and he went to a CL final and a World Cup final, so he can't be all that bad, right? Well, this past season Lovren was injured a lot and he barely played, and is probably now our fourth choice centre back.

Matip has had more than his fair share of niggly injuries, no doubt about that, but when Gomez broke his leg and took longer than expected to come back, Matip was the player who came in and did well.

So that's three of the four main central defenders with injury issues, and how did we do? Well, we did very well as it happens. Tightest back line in the Premier League. 97 points and would-be champions but for some serious financial doping, with another CL final to come.

At one point we played Hoever, who will be bigger, stronger and a year older next season; and at another point iirc we played Fabinho there in a pinch, though these days he has established himself as our first choice number 6.

So what am I saying?

I'm saying that even with a lot of injuries, we were absolutely fine in the position last season. While we should be prepared for injuries, and we are, signing more and more players starts to become counter productive.

I could make a case for signing no central defenders this summer. Carry on with what we have. And next year maybe Hoever might get a few more minutes in and around the first team set up.

If we are going to sign someone, it needs to be a Lovren replacement, as he is now fourth choice and presumably on decent wages, while also likely able to attract a fee if we sell. But there's not a lot of upside as his replacement will cost money, and there's no guarantee he will be better, unless we spend a lot of money. At that point the balance in other areas is affected, and Gomez might get bumped, for example, which on the evidence of the first half of the season would be a mistake.

I'm in the camp that says "Leave the central defense alone." We have enough. By the end of next season both Lovren and Matip might be done here, and we might be looking to sign one more to go with VVD, Gomez and Hoever, but we should cross that bridge when we come to it. It doesn't feel like it's a bridge we have to cross right now.

Flobs

FADA
Bloody hell, I've totally been had! GFFN are well known account, some tosser decided to open a near identical account, I didn't even notice the difference in Twitter handle! Thanks, lads!
Still I don't know why you put any weight on what the real GFFN say. They are just attention seekers anyway. :J

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
I see twitter is in meltdown as some bloke from bbc says we aren’t signing anyone major....but then says things change.
Seriously like he knows our business unless Klopp personally told him.
At least 6-8 players are leaving and need replacing.
No one knew we were signing Fabinho and Alisson. Did they happen quickly - no. Fabinho said he was contacted in Feb and Alisson when we played Roma in CL.
Windows not open yet and I’m sick of it.
Juergen don’t need me to tell him if you stand still in football you fall behind.
Long summer ahead!

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I see twitter is in meltdown as some bloke from bbc says we aren’t signing anyone major....but then says things change.
Seriously like he knows our business unless Klopp personally told him.
At least 6-8 players are leaving and need replacing.
No one knew we were signing Fabinho and Alisson. Did they happen quickly - no. Fabinho said he was contacted in Feb and Alisson when we played Roma in CL.
Windows not open yet and I’m sick of it.
Juergen don’t need me to tell him if you stand still in football you fall behind.
Long summer ahead!
Robbo clearly had a chat with Messi, even gave him the Scottish head rub of approval.

Maria

I think we should buy at least 3-4 players minimum. We have a long season, 4 cup competitions and we have to make allowances for injuries occurring during the peak, when we have like 4 games in 10 days, especially during the Christmas time.

Will there be a winter break this coming season?

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Here are my thoughts on DeLigt....
He's great....may even be the second coming. BUT.... he's apparently turned down 250k per week. That would put him very high on the top paid list here at Liverpool.
This is something that does not fit with the philosophy of how this team operates. This team operates by having somebody prove their worth while at Liverpool and fit into the squad. THEN you get signed to the big bucks.

Here are my thoughts about transfers:
1) Liverpool already have one of the best squads in the world.
2) The margins for improvement are very fine
3) Jurgen is very picky when deciding on a player... AND he loves to promote from within.

After being heartbroken by not keeping players while at Dortmund, Jurgen is happy to go with the guys that he's got.
He'll be practical about it though, and will most likely sign a forward to rotate with the front 3, and an option to fill in for Robbo.
Liverpool don't need much.... unless they plan to take a deep dive in the cups. They are thin when it comes to the 2nd squad for the cups.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Here are my thoughts on DeLigt....
He's great....may even be the second coming. BUT.... he's apparently turned down 250k per week. That would put him very high on the top paid list here at Liverpool.
This is something that does not fit with the philosophy of how this team operates. This team operates by having somebody prove their worth while at Liverpool and fit into the squad. THEN you get signed to the big bucks.

Here are my thoughts about transfers:
1) Liverpool already have one of the best squads in the world.
2) The margins for improvement are very fine
3) Jurgen is very picky when deciding on a player... AND he loves to promote from within.

After being heartbroken by not keeping players while at Dortmund, Jurgen is happy to go with the guys that he's got.
He'll be practical about it though, and will most likely sign a forward to rotate with the front 3, and an option to fill in for Robbo.
Liverpool don't need much.... unless they plan to take a deep dive in the cups. They are thin when it comes to the 2nd squad for the cups.
Turned down £250k a week from us? Has to be bollocks surely. Isn’t vvd on £150k a week? Doubt we’d offer someone not as good £100k a week more.
Sure I’ve read somewhere Vvd and klopp to sign new deal after cup final as well.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Turned down £250k a week from us? Has to be bollocks surely. Isn’t vvd on £150k a week? Doubt we’d offer someone not as good £100k a week more.
Sure I’ve read somewhere Vvd and klopp to sign new deal after cup final as well.
Van Dijk is on £180k and Salah on £200k.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Wouldn’t have been from us. United possibly, so the reasons for turning the offer down may not be due to not being offered enough money (apart from it not being enough to play for them).

Re new deals, before final more likely.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
The 250k a week offer was from United,which he turned down for footballing reasons and because they are shite.Thats not saying he wants 250k a week,its just United throwing money at players to try and get them,knowing no fucker worth there salt is gunna want to play for them next season in the UEFA cup and challenging wolves for 5th place lol

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Between 2-4 players -

2 young backup fullbacks for right and left back. Both would be playing u23's all season... Hopefully! It could very well be just LB as Gomez will be backup at RB.

Young GK. Fairly sure Migs is gone in the summer. Im not sure what will happen with Karius. He could also come as backup particularly as he didn't do brilliantly in Turkey.

Wide forward. Probably with LB the only position we are in desperate need for. I really hope it's a young guy who won't be gutted being stuck behind Mané and Salah but who can come off the bench and change a game. A young Chicharito-type player would be very bloody handy.

Honestly anything outside that list which aren't young project players imo is just kind of pointless. We have too many midfielders, just the right amount of CB's, and the right amount of strikers ( Bob, Mo,Div). Wide forward pretty pretty please!

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Between 2-4 players -

2 young backup fullbacks for right and left back. Both would be playing u23's all season... Hopefully! It could very well be just LB as Gomez will be backup at RB.

Young GK. Fairly sure Migs is gone in the summer. Im not sure what will happen with Karius. He could also come as backup particularly as he didn't do brilliantly in Turkey.

Wide forward. Probably with LB the only position we are in desperate need for. I really hope it's a young guy who won't be gutted being stuck behind Mané and Salah but who can come off the bench and change a game. A young Chicharito-type player would be very bloody handy.

Honestly anything outside that list which aren't young project players imo is just kind of pointless. We have too many midfielders, just the right amount of CB's, and the right amount of strikers ( Bob, Mo,Div). Wide forward pretty pretty please!
Would Wilson not be a strong candidate for the wide forward back up?

Seemed to have a pretty strong season for Derby on loan

LFCFFC

I'm not sure playing at RB really prevents broken legs.

Anyway, this shit about a sub £20m pound budget is just pure speculation based on a relatively big spend last summer, but without any consideration for the fact that we've made the CL final twice in two years and had a net gain in funds earlier in Klopp's tenure.

I don't think we'll be big spenders this summer, but I hardly think FSG will have set a ludicrously low cap to the point where we can barely add to our squad depth. 2-3 quality additions covering the front 3, AM and a LB/CB (on top of any extra requirements like a new backup GK if Migs leaves) would seem like a good bet.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I'm not sure playing at RB really prevents broken legs.

Anyway, this shit about a sub £20m pound budget is just pure speculation based on a relatively big spend last summer, but without any consideration for the fact that we've made the CL final twice in two years and had a net gain in funds earlier in Klopp's tenure.

I don't think we'll be big spenders this summer, but I hardly think FSG will have set a ludicrously low cap to the point where we can barely add to our squad depth. 2-3 quality additions covering the front 3, AM and a LB/CB (on top of any extra requirements like a new backup GK if Migs leaves) would seem like a good bet.
Add in the fact we had made a £100m profit before last summer's transfer spend. We've increased our revenues even further in the 12 months since.

No question we've got money to spend if Klopp wants.