• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
See we are linked with Fekir again after it’s confirmed he will leave.
Not sure why LFC fans are getting excited. We didn’t sign him a year ago due to fucked knees. We ain’t going back a year later.
The issue was over the medium to long term condition of his knees, not just the immediate one

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
There’s no argument here; I’m merely pointing out the underlying flaw in your reasoning.
You are not though, you have simply ignored or missed the context in which it was made. @Zinedine Biscan 's question was a reasonable one to ask as it was part of a conversation, and not simply a throwaway comment.

Limiescouse

Arguments like this are what is making the forum such a fucking chore to read and browse right now.

I'm getting near the point of being done with it, to be quite honest.
Do not interpret my "like" of your post as an endorsement of your proposed fucking off.
It's almost as if there's something that's causing Lyon to manage his game time.
Aye, it is worth pointing out again, that the issue was never "is he fit enough to play right now". We knew he was, because he was indeed playing for Lyon. The issue was always about will his knee hold up and will he stay fit.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
I have a feeling that once the Champions League Final is played out all the big transfers will start.
I hope we get our big tranfers in before PSG, Man United, R. Madrid, and Barca break the market. Especially as we’re looking at the Spanish giants making big overhauls this summer. Thankfully we have stopped making last minute overinflated panic buys under Edwards/Klopp.

StevenAlonso

I would be happy if we just sign Dybala..Can play at all forward positions.. Young, Quick, clever and technically gifted.. CB we are quite covered unless someone leaves.. Two good young wingbacks to cover for Robertson and TAA will do as both Clyne and Moreno will be leaving - May be we look to the academy and ofcourse there is Milner.. Ox, Brewster and Wilson to come into the team as well.. Will not mind Rabiot or Brahimi on a free transfer though if Lallana and Sturridge leave ;)

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I would be happy if we just sign Dybala..Can play at all forward positions.. Young, Quick, clever and technically gifted.. CB we are quite covered unless someone leaves.. Two good young wingbacks to cover for Robertson and TAA will do as both Clyne and Moreno will be leaving - May be we look to the academy and ofcourse there is Milner.. Ox, Brewster and Wilson to come into the team as well.. Will not mind Rabiot or Brahimi on a free transfer though if Lallana and Sturridge leave ;-)
I read this morning that Dybala (through his brother/agent) is letting it be known he wants to stay at Juventus... probably not coincidentally because Allegri is leaving. He's one I would also have liked us to at least taken a serious look at, but seems like it won't be happening this summer anyway.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I read this morning that Dybala (through his brother/agent) is letting it be known he wants to stay at Juventus... probably not coincidentally because Allegri is leaving. He's one I would also have liked us to at least taken a serious look at, but seems like it won't be happening this summer anyway.
There was talk of Dybala joining Atletico Madrid as a part of rebuild (basically, among others, Costa and Griezmann out, Icardi and Dybala in). I think Liverpool were never interested in him because he's mostly a no. 10. Otherwise, he's a quality talent but I feel like he's not close to fulfilling his potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Juventus sold him to fund some other expensive purchase.

By the way, Liverpool were again linked with Sociedad's centre back Llorente, that was the second or third time I saw it. I wonder if there's any truth in it, I would like to see Lovren replaced by someone more consistent and with better fitness record, even if that someone isn't a world beater.

Red over the water

Arguably our willingness to take on a player with a questionable knee evaporated once Oxlade went down with a smashed knee last year. I still think we may have been willing to sign Fekir and manage his minutes, even after the medical, but considering the attacking midfield overall it would have been very careless to have two players costing the best part of £100M in that area of the pitch, with question marks over both. Not to mention Lallana’s injury record.

So, good player, even now, but unless the fee is now so low that it would be rude not to, I can’t see us going back there. And besides, there are a lot of young, fast, exciting players coming through, so I think the Fekir ship has sailed.

Catweazle (some call him Chuckwueze) is an interesting one for the wing. Dribbles like Robben, but doesn’t look like Captain Picard. Fast as you like, and only starting to break through now, so presumably the price won’t be ridiculous.

Edit:
Just had a trip down memory lane on YouTube, watching a clip of the British 70s kids tv show Catweazle. I was more of a Worzel Gummidge fan as a kid, which came later!

Last edited:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Bidding war, please. :)
I would love to see Wilson with the club next year as a squad player. Obviously JK knows best, but I don't see any reason why he can't be a super sub and provide cover at 2 positions. I will say this, I very much rate young Wilson and I am a big supporter of his, but I don't believe for one second he is a 25M player. Anything is possible of course and at that price of course they should sell, but I'd be stunned. And again, I'm a big believer of his quality.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Let's just see how much we can get. Who knows if Klopp already made a decision on him, perhaps not yet. But give me a bidding war for the likes of him, Clyne and who else. Nice situation to be in.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Let's just see how much we can get. Who knows if Klopp already made a decision on him, perhaps not yet. But give me a bidding war for the likes of him, Clyne and who else. Nice situation to be in.
Absolutely agree, and my guess is he's probably going. But I also agree that it's a wonderful position to be in for the club.

Red over the water

I see Wilson coming back as related to what we do with Shaqiri. Otherwise we will have too many players clogging the place up, and that’s no position for a young player (I know, Wilson isn’t exactly a baby) to try to make his mark.

If we sell Shaqiri, minutes will open up in the squad and Wilson would have a chance to stake a claim. If we keep Shaqiri we’d have the main front three, plus Origi as back up, plus Brewster who will need minutes (he’ll replace Sturridge) plus you have to think we will sign at least one player for the attacking positions, whether that’s an out and out striker or a fast winger, who weighs in with goals.

Wilson has done well at Derby and ideally he will come back, as he has done everything asked of him and he has succeeded. But he shouldn’t come back if there’s no real chance to get near the action.

Limiescouse

There was talk of Dybala joining Atletico Madrid as a part of rebuild (basically, among others, Costa and Griezmann out, Icardi and Dybala in). I think Liverpool were never interested in him because he's mostly a no. 10. Otherwise, he's a quality talent but I feel like he's not close to fulfilling his potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Juventus sold him to fund some other expensive purchase.
The problem with Dybala is that he is an orthodox number 10 and there is little room in modern football for these players. Teams that use them typically have to accommodate them and it is typically only teams below the top echelon, teams who know they are punching above their weight to land a player like that, who do that. These players then have to evolve to become important on good teams. People on here seem to treat it as if you can just slot a player like this into the midfield (if you call him an AM), but it doesnt work like that, and it only works when the player in questions makes a hell of a lot of adjustments to his game. For all Dybala's talent, and for all the legitimate challenges he has faced at Juve, he hasnt really adapted to this challenge the way he needed to continue to be successful at a top side. Right now, he looks destined to have a Riquelme type career and the most likely move for him is to spend another year on the fringe at Juve before going to a Spanish Europa League side like Valencia.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
The problem with Dybala is that he is an orthodox number 10 and there is little room in modern football for these players. Teams that use them typically have to accommodate them and it is typically only teams below the top echelon, teams who know they are punching above their weight to land a player like that, who do that. These players then have to evolve to become important on good teams. People on here seem to treat it as if you can just slot a player like this into the midfield (if you call him an AM), but it doesnt work like that, and it only works when the player in questions makes a hell of a lot of adjustments to his game. For all Dybala's talent, and for all the legitimate challenges he has faced at Juve, he hasnt really adapted to this challenge the way he needed to continue to be successful at a top side. Right now, he looks destined to have a Riquelme type career and the most likely move for him is to spend another year on the fringe at Juve before going to a Spanish Europa League side like Valencia.
Yeah, he's one of those increasingly rare players who would have killed it twenty years ago. That said, I find him more attack-minded than a regular no. 10 (and he doesn't have the sublime vision you'd associate with such a player, at least not in my opinion), so the link with Atletico might not be a false one if Simeone decides to stick with 4-4-2.

That said, I fully expect his representatives to name Liverpool as one of "many big clubs interested in his signature" in a few weeks.

Limiescouse

Yeah, he's one of those increasingly rare players who would have killed it twenty years ago. That said, I find him more attack-minded than a regular no. 10 (and he doesn't have the sublime vision you'd associate with such a player, at least not in my opinion), so the link with Atletico might not be a false one if Simeone decides to stick with 4-4-2.

That said, I fully expect his representatives to name Liverpool as one of "many big clubs interested in his signature" in a few weeks.
Yeah, I could see him doing quite well playing in behind Morata. He's not quite a pure replacement for Griezemann, but you can see how the side could easily adapt to that front two from the Costa and Grizemann one of last year that didnt really work as they hoped.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah, I agree he's more of a second striker than a classic #10 who (needs to) combines a lot with his midfield. He's more offensive than someone like Ozil (hate to use that example as he's the one who looks like he lives in 90's, a shame because his technical platform and vision is superb, arguably the best), more of a goal threat. We'll see where he ends up.

Drubas

Pedantic to the n'th degree! Fekir didn't set records last season Salah did. Fekir wasn't still top scorer this season Salah was. @Zinedine Biscan had a great point you've just turned it silly. Fekir was a high performing attacking midfielder we nearly signed and something (probably his proneness to future injury) scared us off. He's now even more readily available (something that wasn't a barrier anyway) so people are asking should we go back in. As ZB points out though he isn't even performing as well. Why would we?
The other question - do we need his type of player? What kind of gap would he fill? Where would he play?

SadiosMio

6 of those 9 were set pieces. 4 penalties and 2 free kicks. 5 assists while being in charge of most set pieces? Based on this season he's not really shown his worth.
Didn't know that, but you can bet Ian Graham does. That seals it for me, no way this is happening. No wonder Lyon is "uh...we're fine with transferring you now."

SadiosMio

(snip)

Catweazle (some call him Chuckwueze) is an interesting one for the wing. Dribbles like Robben, but doesn’t look like Captain Picard. Fast as you like, and only starting to break through now, so presumably the price won’t be ridiculous.
Would you consider 35M ridiculous? Reported release clause 40M euro, not thinking he's likely to leave for much less than that.

I'm wondering 1. if this "no big spending for non-starters" thing is true, and 2. what a "big spend" on one player is. 50M+?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
6 of those 9 were set pieces. 4 penalties and 2 free kicks. 5 assists while being in charge of most set pieces? Based on this season he's not really shown his worth.
Perhaps, though I don't think a drop in numbers for 1 season is necessarily a major worry (Bobby's were much better last year too), not unless it's due to his fitness issues. He's not the only Lyon player to suffer it either, Depay's have dropped off too.

Fekir was excellent at the Etihad and a major reason why they outplayed City there. Based on that game alone it was quite clear why Klopp was a fan.

We pulled out of the deal because of his knee but it remains to be seen if we would be interested in pursuing the deal if Lyon would accept a lower price, which I would assume they will due to him only having a year left and his less impressive season will probably mean less competition for his signature. FWIW I don't think we will.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
In regards to Sturridge, i will never question his ability. However, apart from 1 1/2 seasons he has contributed little to the first team apart from the odd goal - Seville/chelsea are two i can remember.
From reports he has a good vibe on the squad, but this is not a reason for keeping him. He is so hit and miss and its such a shame, because he is a very talented player. There are some links to stats about James Milner, i know they play different roles and its hard to compare due to game time etc, but look at what he gives the team compared to Sturridge. There are many times i have given DS another chance off the back of a performance but for me, Wolves in the FA Cup was a game too far!
Has anyone inferred he will stay?

Drubas

Didn't know that, but you can bet Ian Graham does. That seals it for me, no way this is happening. No wonder Lyon is "uh...we're fine with transferring you now."
It's one of the big mysteries in football, why nobody seems to care of goals are scored from penalties or not. I think Lacazette scored eight penalties the season he was bought by Arsenal. It was not mention anywhere.

SadiosMio

It's one of the big mysteries in football, why nobody seems to care of goals are scored from penalties or not. I think Lacazette scored eight penalties the season he was bought by Arsenal. It was not mention anywhere.
Doesn't bother me, media wise. I'm sure even dim clubs understand that non-penalty goals and goals are quite different. I have no worries at all about Liverpool having much more detail than that.

LFC is simply the best-run club in the world right now, from the board room to the boot room.

Btw, the player from Lille is in a similar boat as far as penalties goes.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Clearly Klopp believes that he could find a fit for Fekir here and believes in his talent. However, I think they're rightfully hesitant to invest in a player with a history of leg injuries because of how physically demanding our style of play is. It takes months of training just to persuade Klopp to give you a runabout in a match, let alone to feature you as a regular member of our Starting XI.

That being said, it is all about mitigating risk. A reduced transfer fee because of the injury and contract situation could make Liverpool re-enter the race. It's also notable that we haven't had Fekir seriously linked with any other big clubs, so we might be able to get him at a bargain-basement price.