• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Flobs

FADA
Anderson?

I've barely watched West Ham this season but at Anfield he was their hardest working player by an absolute mile. It surprised me as I'd heard he was weak and lazy, yet he looked a bit like their version of Mane.
I remember well our 1st match of the season. WH looked like they were still in preseason mode so it just wasn't a game to take anything from about any player. I can not remeber anything about the return match. WH had a season plan so once again it wasn't a match to be judging players over. WH were all about derby matches they were a better team than they let on against us that's for sure.

big noyd

fekir would still make a lot of sense from a strictly football sense, especially if there's not a 9 brought in, with origi retained & brewster ostensibly replacing studge. origi is obviously better out wide & getting behind than dropping deep, what little i've seen of brewster suggests a similar heat map

and there really aren't too many players out there who could as readily approximate what bob brings as fekir. dybala seems overpriced and a bit soft

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Does anyone believe the de ligt rumours. He's just got a really 'good' agent who we won't deal with. Think Mario looked like a £50m defender anyway.
I don’t understand why he’d go to United. Even for cash. If Barca, Real and Us aren’t biting at the minute he’d be better sitting right in Ajax until there is an opening.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I don’t understand why he’d go to United. Even for cash. If Barca, Real and Us aren’t biting at the minute he’d be better sitting right in Ajax until there is an opening.
Yeah thought about that too, only thing would be to raise his profile in the meantime, but could lose form entirely. He is young enough to take them in his stride for a year or three. Cant see how he would be tempted though with the likely suitors he has.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Anderson?

I've barely watched West Ham this season but at Anfield he was their hardest working player by an absolute mile. It surprised me as I'd heard he was weak and lazy, yet he looked a bit like their version of Mane.
Maybe trying to impress a certain someone?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The Ajax side is breaking up so maybe time to go. I'd leap at it last year but now Matip is looking like a £50m defender. Somehow phone autocorrected that to Mario earlier!

Utd are desperate. He'll earn loads of money. For his agent too! ;-)
Raiola demanding a 20% cut is ridiculous. I don’t understand why clubs don’t cooperate to blacklist problem agents. The trouble there is always one set of fucking planks, like Utd, will to screw the game to get a jump on the other clubs.

Red over the water

Completely agree with the Raiola comment. He’s not a reputable agent, and it would be better if clubs decided to circle the wagons and keep him out. Better again if there were proper regulations around agents. Everyone should be able to make money, and represent their client well, but this sort of thing will damage the game. He’s adds very little but takes out a lot.

As for De Ligt, it is possible that he is getting too much too soon. I don’t know anything about his character, but evidently he hasn’t the sense to bin a piggy agent. If the player takes on those traits he will fade before his star properly rises.

If he goes to Man Utd that’s what I hope happens.

SadiosMio

Opinions change though. Klopp is a different manager now than he was at Dortmund. A better one, imo.
When Klopp signed, I along with probably most people expected him to use the same system that he had...pretty much every game in his Dortmund career. And to favor similar players. But he hasn't, not completely anyway. A lot of that has to do with two unique players -- Lewandowski, and Firmino. I think part of Klopp's struggle in his last season at Dortmund is that he tried to replace Lewandowski, rather than using the best striker he had as a striker (Aubameyang). He made the switch after the winter break, Auba scored 11 goals in 16 games, and the team flew up the table.

You'd like to think Klopp learned from this, and became more flexible -- which has become vitally important for Liverpool as he now has a team with a much different CF, and a much different top CB, a much different GK, and a RB that simply can do things no BVB RB he had can (and maybe not any RB not named Kimmich since the prime of Dani Alves).

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Well this is a relief ...
Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane wants to keep Spain defender Sergio Ramos at the La Liga club next season, despite interest in the 33-year-old from Liverpool, Manchester United and teams in China. (Marca - in Spanish)

...think we swerved one there! A pity though, as it would've been fun to put him in the stocks in West Derby village and let the populace have a go at him.

SadiosMio

Completely agree with the Raiola comment. He’s not a reputable agent, and it would be better if clubs decided to circle the wagons and keep him out. Better again if there were proper regulations around agents. Everyone should be able to make money, and represent their client well, but this sort of thing will damage the game. He’s adds very little but takes out a lot.

As for De Ligt, it is possible that he is getting too much too soon. I don’t know anything about his character, but evidently he hasn’t the sense to bin a piggy agent. If the player takes on those traits he will fade before his star properly rises.

If he goes to Man Utd that’s what I hope happens.
I suspect that saga is going to go on until July at least and it's going to be hilarious. Not sure if it would be better if they missed out, or if they got him and then players like Martial, Lindelof, Rashford, etc. as for 350k/wk (or more) to match a 19 year old from the Dutch league. They're already probably going to lose De Gea bc they won't pay him what Sanchez is getting or close to.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The main reason to sign a CB would be to let one of Lovren or Matip depart.

Both are good enough on paper to at least be a 3rd choice for us and Matip has been performing well enough it would mean it wouldn't be easy for Gomez to get back into the starting line up regularly.

However up to now Gomez has had a lot of bad luck with injuries and it'd be irresponsible to not guard against that poor luck continuing. This means that both Lovren and Matip being injury prone becomes an issue.

Because 3 of our 4 CBs miss lots of games it means it doesn't matter how good everything is on paper all the pressure is on VvD to stay fit and always play.

There's a logic in letting Lovren or Matip move on (we'd still get good money for either and it's an easy sell, "doesn't want to be back up in his prime years"). It'd create an opening for a more robust CB to come in.

A young CB who meets the blueprint of what Klopp needs from his CBs would be ideal. Young enough to work with Klopp and develop but maybe be patient about earning playing time (as most Klopp signings need to be).

Diego Llorente may fit the blueprint (someone more familiar with the player would need to judge that) and is about the right age. But I'd be worried about his need to be robust as he's had 4 separate injuries this season. We need anyone we bring in to be regularly available or we are gaining nothing and may as well stick with what we have.

Herb

Anyone take Umtiti?
If he is available for the price you’ve mentioned then I think it would be worth the risk. He was performing at a truly elite level the season before last and for me is definitely an upgrade on both Matip and Lovren.

Jaytinho

Hmmmmm Don Balon (I think they are relatively high up on the bullshit scale) say €50m (£44m) should be enough for James Rodriguez. I would be all over this if true. People questioned Shaqiri's work ethic as well. But James is a player you would want for his head and not his running. Perfect to just sit between Fabinho and the front 3 and just feed like crazy while taking the occasional cracker outside the box. He does have a weird injury history though

Link: James Rodriguez will not remain at Real Madrid and he has a destination

Limiescouse

United. They'd take anyone.

They will happily pay a free of £90m and give him a weekly wage of 300k such is their desperation.
Boeteng looks to be being forced out at Bayern this summer. They are talking of a feee around 40 million for him. It would be textbook Utd to spend 50 million to buy him this summer when Jose was desperate for him last year.