• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
His podcast is hilarious. He constantly says "you heard it here first" as he throws out some spurious nonsense about his brilliant sources. He also appears to brief his guests on the show (who are equally ridiculous in their claims) to big him up as a trusted source. Car crash podcasting.
He is an embarrassment.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
In the Twitter thread it says Milner and Matip to be offered new deals - but I haven't seen Gini being offered one yet? Given his season I would have thought he was also in line for a new one as I thought his contract ends the same time.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
In the Twitter thread it says Milner and Matip to be offered new deals - but I haven't seen Gini being offered one yet? Given his season I would have thought he was also in line for a new one as I thought his contract ends the same time.

Gini has 2 years left, I wouldn't be overly concerned about him, just yet anyway.

Sweeting

According to Transfermarkt

Sturridge - No offer
Moreno - No offer
Bogdan - No offer
Randall - No offer

Seems all of those will be allowed to leave.

Origi - Offered
Milner - Offered
Lallana - No offer
Matip - Offered
Clyne - No offer

Wijnaldum
Lovren
Mignolet

I think Wijnaldum will be the next player to get a deal.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Thanks guys. I thought Lovrens contract also ended same time as Mario's does, but that doesnt appear to be the case either. So we are not facing as big a cliff edge in squad planning as I was fearing.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Gini's going to be 30 by the time his current contract runs out (and will turn 31 a few months later)... I wonder if we're leaving it as long as possible as there may not be much (if any) pay increase on offer, which is going to be a less attractive prospect for a guy still currently in his prime.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Gini's going to be 30 by the time his current contract runs out (and will turn 31 a few months later)... I wonder if we're leaving it as long as possible as there may not be much (if any) pay increase on offer, which is going to be a less attractive prospect for a guy still currently in his prime.
Think a lot don't think about this aspect. Generally, even if the club offers a new contract (which the media isn't always going to know whether this has happened or not), players don't usually sign unless they get a pay rise. I actually believe we are the best top club for managing our contracts. Can is pretty much the only usable player we've lost to an ending contract for quite some time.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Quite possible. It's also likely we may be dipping back into market for midfielders next summer for the next bit of midfield rebuilding, and could be tied with that?

Sweeting

Possibly - although personally I think we are going to see that "peak" last easily into the 30s going forward. Just seems that nutrition, fitness regimes and medical science have come so far since the 80s/90s when players were more or less done by 32. Milner, admittedly he is beast, is a better player at 33 than he ever has been before.

Salah, Mane and Firmino will be 30/31 by the time their contracts expire but it wouldn't shock me at all if all are still playing Champions League football into their mid-30s. I think it will just be the norm now.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Possibly - although personally I think we are going to see that "peak" last easily into the 30s going forward. Just seems that nutrition, fitness regimes and medical science have come so far since the 80s/90s when players were more or less done by 32. Milner, admittedly he is beast, is a better player at 33 than he ever has been before.

Salah, Mane and Firmino will be 30/31 by the time their contracts expire but it wouldn't shock me at all if all are still playing Champions League football into their mid-30s. I think it will just be the norm now.
A team of Maldini's

Zinedine Biscan

I think it depends, in certain cases that will be true - and I think Firmino will be one - but with speedsters like Mo and Mane you would have concerns about what happens when that goes. Similarly with Gini I'm not sure the club would be willing to offer a substantial pay-rise (which as a 28/29yo he'd be looking for) that would carry him into 32/33/34 sort of time. The club knows what it's doing though, I'm sure of that, and I've no doubt there are already plans in place.

Jaytinho

Kaveh Solhekol (@SkyKaveh) on Twitter:

"Exclusive interview with Liverpool owner John W Henry on all Sky Sports News platforms now. Says winning Champions League won’t make up for missing out on the title. Liverpool will go again and invest this summer to make sure they win Premier League next season"

Sweeting

I think it depends, in certain cases that will be true - and I think Firmino will be one - but with speedsters like Mo and Mane you would have concerns about what happens when that goes. Similarly with Gini I'm not sure the club would be willing to offer a substantial pay-rise (which as a 28/29yo he'd be looking for) that would carry him into 32/33/34 sort of time. The club knows what it's doing though, I'm sure of that, and I've no doubt there are already plans in place.
That's what I mean, I don't think they will lose their pace until later in their careers now. I heard a Wycombe player say that Nathan Tyson test quicker now than when he was 26 (he is 38).

I know that is a lower league example but it does show that players are more capable of protecting their body and their skills later into their career if they go about it the correct way.

Red over the water

Jamie Carragher is bordering on legend status and full credit to him. Early in his career he was in and out the team and he moved around the defence to get a game. I wasn’t fully sure he would make it here, but then at some point he staked his claim in the middle and became a fixture in the side. He absolutely wrung every last ounce out of his talent and played an enormous amount of games for Liverpool FC, so full credit to him.

I realize that last sentence could be seen as a back handed compliment, as he was never easy on the eye like Van Dijk, who obviously has the lot, nor a fast athlete like Joe Gomez, who still has it all to do in his career. But I’m glad we have a game where reasonably talented people like Carragher can still excel, through hard work and application.

We all dream of a team of Carragher’s is a great compliment from the fans, but yes, if we actually had it, well, best not to go there!

Zinedine Biscan

Jamie Carragher is bordering on legend status and full credit to him. Early in his career he was in and out the team and he moved around the defence to get a game. I wasn’t fully sure he would make it here, but then at some point he staked his claim in the middle and became a fixture in the side. He absolutely wrung every last ounce out of his talent and played an enormous amount of games for Liverpool FC, so full credit to him.

I realize that last sentence could be seen as a back handed compliment, as he was never easy on the eye like Van Dijk, who obviously has the lot, nor a fast athlete like Joe Gomez, who still has it all to do in his career. But I’m glad we have a game where reasonably talented people like Carragher can still excel, through hard work and application.

We all dream of a team of Carragher’s is a great compliment from the fans, but yes, if we actually had it, well, best not to go there!
I mean, the own goals alone...

Drubas

All off topic yet again but gotta comment on a disgrace to a man that gave as much as anyone to win us no5. Carra could hardly move in extra time in Istanbul but still pulled off heroic match saving blocks.

Blood and guts and passion will be needed again for victory. I'd love Carra out there tomorrow.
Watched the Istabul game yesterday, as build up, and I have to say Carra was immense.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Apparently, according to the mirror, the owners are giving Klopp more money to spend over the summer to further strengthen the squad.

"We're going to have a go, but we feel that we are strong already," Henry told Sky Sports.

“We haven't gone through the process yet as we're still playing, but every year we've shown that we're willing to invest in the right kind of players and do it in the right way so the club is sustainable."

Kopstar

★★★★★★
All off topic yet again but gotta comment on a disgrace to a man that gave as much as anyone to win us no5. Carra could hardly move in extra time in Istanbul but still pulled off heroic match saving blocks.

Blood and guts and passion will be needed again for victory. I'd love Carra out there tomorrow.
Presumably this was aimed at me...

I wasn't saying anything derogatory about Carragher's immense importance and contribution to this football club. I was simply stating that, from an aesthetic point of view, watching a whole team made up of Jamie Carraghers would be appalling.

No need to get so worked up.

Zinedine Biscan

I don't believe that for a second. Any signings we will make this summer have been wrapped up for a while I think (apart from Shaqiri-like "opportunities" that may arise)
And how great is it to be in a position where we don't have to think we need this player, or that player... I'd have no qualms whatsoever starting the season with the XI that started last night (and obviously there's still top quality players like Gomez, Ox and Keita to incorporate somehow on top of that!). Bit of strengthening in a couple of places, maybe some more talented youngsters to put some pressure on the seniors, job done.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
And how great is it to be in a position where we don't have to think we need this player, or that player... I'd have no qualms whatsoever starting the season with the XI that started last night (and obviously there's still top quality players like Gomez, Ox and Keita to incorporate somehow on top of that!). Bit of strengthening in a couple of places, maybe some more talented youngsters to put some pressure on the seniors, job done.
Absolutely, and to boot, Citoil's spine is at the end of its life, ours is at its beginning. Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva, and Aguero all either done or about to be. Hay time :celebrating:

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I don't believe that for a second. Any signings we will make this summer have been wrapped up for a while I think (apart from Shaqiri-like "opportunities" that may arise)
Agreed, I think it's more about we aren't announcing/confirming anything yet because we still had a game to play and result to now celebrate. No wish to throw something else into the mix as a potential distraction right now but will move ahead with that when that's settled down.

KMD1951

Think we need three or four in to be honest but probably only one that might be regarded as a starter for the midfield.

Nobody in the starting eleven is going to leave and from the bench I’m certain Milner, Gomez, AOC, Origi and Brewster will be there next season. To that add Keita and hopefully Lovren (just don’t see where we wound find a better fourth choice CB). After that I think everyone else could go (not including the third choice keeper as was making up numbers). That would be 18 players and so think another four needed to compete for the title.

As has already been said on the post match thread we have possibly the best players in the world in goal, at CB and at DM. To that we have two world class full backs and three world class forwards. Matip and Gomez have both shown they can have a superb partnership with VVD and in the middle we have an inspirational captain and the sign were Keita was starting to come good and AOC looked great last season. Therefore it’s hard to improve the first eleven but I think we could find a place in the middle. After that it’s good quality squad players probably at GK, FB and a forward.

I also think next season will be our best chance to win the title as I think Pep will have it made clear to him to focus on the CL. City’s owners want the CL and with a probable ban for 2020/21 they’ll be desperate to focus on that. I also think the players will want to win that one as I don’t think any of them have besides Danillo.

Status
Not open for further replies.