• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Flobs

FADA
How does a mix of "took time to adjust" and "moved straight into the starting XI" immediately prove your point in any way?
Your missing my point, my point is Klopp decides and sticks with what he decides.
Your interpreting what I say to fit your agenda and not what I said.
For example where did I say anything about 'took time to adjust'?
It's not that for example Fabinho 'took time to adjust' he just simply didn't play. Klopp decided that the same as he decided that Alisson, Keita, VVD, Salah went straight into the starting 11. He made those decicissons and stuck 'stubbornly' to those decissions.

Flobs

FADA
Isn’t the issue more likely to be that there are some positions where Klopp’s system requires a lot of bedding in, and some where it’s fine to drop them in?

I think it’s a midfield issue, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Keita*, Fabinho and Oxlade all had their adjustment times. I’d say that, given how high up the pitch our fullbacks play, you can put Robertson in that group as well.

Klopp asks a lot of his midfield, and it’s often been said that it’s really hard to play his midfield system.

*I think the club thought Keita would drop straight in, given his role at Leipzig. He started the first three, before they realised they had some work to do and took him out.
Keita had injury problems however did appear to be a straight in starting 11 in Klopp's mind.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Your missing my point, my point is Klopp decides and sticks with what he decides.
It's not that for example Fabinho 'took time to adjust' he just simply didn't play. Klopp decided that the same as he decided that Alisson, Keita, VVD, Salah went straight into the starting 11. He made those decicissons and stuck 'stubbornly' to those decissions.
He really didn't. Klopp changes his mind all the time.

rab

As for this Cornet fella, is he good enough? Does anyone know how he might rate in comparison to Pepe or Bergwijn?
Seen a couple of games with him involved but not enough to truly judge. Did do some digging when the Daily Fail article mentioned him a couple weeks back.

Pacey left footed wide forward who plays mainly on the right but can/has played left and central. Wouldn't put him in the Pepe bracket but he's done well enough for Lyon without being their star man. 7 goals and 5 assists in 27 league games according to transfermarkt which isn't bad when comparing with Depay who was 10 and 10 in 38 and has been getting more praise for his performances.

Not actually seen any links between him and us bar the speculative piece on wide forwards The Fail did and now this from him.

GaryBarlow99

Don't watch the French league but Cornetto was brilliant in both games against City in the Champions League.

JMac8

Give it up bro

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Waiting for a more reliable source but... Not unexpected in a way but I hoped he would have got a chance this summer - if true, of course.
Zaha for Wilson and £10m, then some add-ons on both sides - I'd do that.

Would be a shame to lose Wilson but can sympathise with his position. Maybe he should give pre-season back with the club a try first and then review?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Replacement for Zaha. lol

Who writes this stuff, at least try harder when writing lies.

Also, what's with all the unreliable links with every Lyon player. I know they have a few very interesting ones, but this is becoming ridiculous. So lazy.

Limiescouse

Yeah, I was just wondering to what extent the analysts may have played a part in that evolution and in tactical input game-by-game. Certainly there's scope for their remit to step on Buvac's toes.
Of course it is speculation, but if we're questioning the impact these additional analytic inputs had on Buvac and his role, then I think it is more of a fundamental issue than one simply of in game tactics. I think new information inputs like this, ones that were not available to Klopp at any other stage of his career, can be seen as a direct challenge to the importance of a number 2. It isnt just the analytics, but it is this, Linders, and the fitness guy from Bayern...all of which have a specialty in an area where Buvac was influential. Even if Klopp still valued his counsel, you can understand how a man might feel marginalized in this sort of situation. It was stated that he had become increasingly distant and uninvolved during the final year, and that is consistent with a man who was uncertain of his role and his continued influence.

SadiosMio

Isn’t the issue more likely to be that there are some positions where Klopp’s system requires a lot of bedding in, and some where it’s fine to drop them in?
Maybe. Or it could be as simple as "Van Dijk, Alisson and Salah are the best in the world at their positions or close to it"...and the others while very good, aren't quite that or weren't when they arrived (Robertson might be now). And a lot of the others were more like 23-24 years old when they signed, not 25-26. Maybe that matters as well. Though I think Mane was more like 23-24 when he was signed, but at that time there wasn't a lot of competition to get into the team.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think some players already play how Klopp will want them to when they arrive or only need some tweaking which can be done whilst they are playing. Some need to learn a lot and Klopp prefers to do that whilst they only get sporadic appearances so he can really nail it during training sessions over the course of several months. There isn't a hard and fast rule in my eyes simply individual cases. Some "Klopp positions" also play more like "traditional positions" so its not too hard for a traditionally trained player to learn the Klopp version of the role but sometimes the Klopp version is a lot different.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Not sure if mentioned already, but a bit of a blow re Havertz - Leverkusen boss says he's going to Bayern for the 20/21 season:

Kai Havertz will join Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich at the end of next season according to Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Reiner Calmund.

Havertz, 19, has caught the eye in Germany after bagging 17 goals from midfield last season.

Speaking to Bild via the Metro this week, Calmund said: “Kai will go to Bayern next year, not this year.

“He will not move [this summer]. Leverkusen want to enjoy him a bit longer but he’ll move on.

“Hopefully, he stays in Germany, and the club that can do that is Bayern.”

The starlet has been linked with a move to Liverpool in recent times.

zman89

Not sure if mentioned already, but a bit of a blow re Havertz - Leverkusen boss says he's going to Bayern for the 20/21 season:

Kai Havertz will join Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich at the end of next season according to Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Reiner Calmund.

Havertz, 19, has caught the eye in Germany after bagging 17 goals from midfield last season.

Speaking to Bild via the Metro this week, Calmund said: “Kai will go to Bayern next year, not this year.

“He will not move [this summer]. Leverkusen want to enjoy him a bit longer but he’ll move on.

It's not really bad news. He's just speculating and it shows that he's open to selling him in the not too distant future. They will of course favour Bayern but it just means to us we have one year to court him, if we really want him.

SadiosMio

It's not really bad news. He's just speculating and it shows that he's open to selling him in the not too distant future. They will of course favour Bayern but it just means to us we have one year to court him, if we really want him.
Throw 75M at him for a 2020 move (like Keita's move) and see if he still hopes he goes to Bayern. Will never understand that attitude, like they don't want to have any chance to win.

[email protected]

Hopefully, he stays in Germany, and the club that can do that is Bayern.”

The Bundesliga gets lots of plaudits for a lot of good things. Being particularly unpredictable in who's going to win it is not one of them. 'I hope he stays in Germany and Bayern is good to do that'? I mean, wtf. With that attitude no wonder they get away with poaching all the best talent from the teams around them. Probably an oversimplification but maybe if the lot of them grew a collective pair...

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
The Bundesliga gets lots of plaudits for a lot of good things. Being particularly unpredictable in who's going to win it is not one of them. 'I hope he stays in Germany and Bayern is good to do that'? I mean, wtf. With that attitude no wonder they get away with poaching all the best talent from the teams around them. Probably an oversimplification but maybe if the lot of them grew a collective pair...
It is weirdly deferential, isn't it? And not the only club to come across that way when it comes to Bayern.

Cologne-Liverpool

Calmund isn't the boss/sporting director at Leverkusen. He's their former sporting director and hasn't been at that club for 15 years. Nowadays he's essentially a professional pundit giving his opinion.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Calmund isn't the boss/sporting director at Leverkusen. He's their former sporting director and hasn't been at that club for 15 years. Nowadays he's essentially a professional pundit giving his opinion.
Well that's less discouraging then. The Metro getting it's facts wrong, who'dve thunk? lol

Cologne-Liverpool

Well that's less discouraging then. The Metro getting it's facts wrong, who'dve thunk? lol
To be fair to The Metro (can't believe I'm writing this) - their article actually didn't get it wrong, it was whoever wrote that summary you quoted.
Anyway, disnae matter - Calmund is pretty much repeating the 'conventional wisom' here and he loves to hear himself talk, that guy never stops.
He's also far more likely to bump into Uli Hoeness at some event than e.g. into Michael Edwards, so sucking up to the Bundesliga overlords will always be more beneficial to him.

Red over the water

I read the article a bit more like, “Kai is a great player but we want to keep him here for another year. Eventually he will grow beyond us and will probably find his way to Bayern. He’s such a bright talent that I hope he stays in the Bundesliga.”

I agree that the whole league is too deferential to Bayern, but it didn’t come across as a foregone conclusion he would go there, more a hope that such a talent stays in their league, and if so, Bayern are the biggest and best and have form for hovering up the best German talent.

Limiescouse

I read the article a bit more like, “Kai is a great player but we want to keep him here for another year. Eventually he will grow beyond us and will probably find his way to Bayern. He’s such a bright talent that I hope he stays in the Bundesliga.”

I agree that the whole league is too deferential to Bayern, but it didn’t come across as a foregone conclusion he would go there, more a hope that such a talent stays in their league, and if so, Bayern are the biggest and best and have form for hovering up the best German talent.
I just cannot imagine though, unless you are one of those general football fans who is agnostic about supporting clubs, why anyone with an interest in German football would ever cheer anything that made Bayern stronger at the expense of another German team.

LFCFFC

Regardless of how close he is (or isn't) with Leverkusen, it's an odd attitude to take...like some weird case of Stockholm syndrome.

Maybe a combination of learned helplessness and a disdain for the Premier League?

big noyd

duncan castles isn't merely unreliable, you have to wonder what his agenda is in reporting this--but he says lille is just waiting for us to bid on nicolas pepe

bad league but he's been far more productive in it than tommy lemar, was better than fekir last year too

GaryBarlow99

duncan castles isn't merely unreliable, you have to wonder what his agenda is in reporting this--but he says lille is just waiting for us to bid on nicolas pepe

bad league but he was far more productive in it than tommy lemar
Like the look of him but he doesn't appear to be very flexible in that he primarily plays in Salah's position and nowhere else.