• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The manager has the power to push him out. If he doesn't that would mean he wants him to stay. So we should stand behind the decision and the player.
That isn’t true. Klopp can have a frank conversation with him about his status in the squad and how much (or little) he plans to use him. At best Klopp can tell Adam it’s in his best interests to move on.

As Lallana is on north of 100k a week, and has a year left on his contract, the advice is probably getting is sit tight for a year, take the cup appearances, and then get off on a free. It doesn’t make any financial sense for a 31 year old man to take the inevitable hit on his wages for a more down the division, when he could wait a year and get a bigger return on what would be his final contract.

Red over the water

And presumably Lallana won’t play much, but will benefit from our excellent training and medical facilities as needed, and not put too many miles on the clock, thus prolonging his career.

Sit tight, collect your dough, try to get yourself in the picture to play (unlikely) then move on a Bosman.

We have moved beyond Lallana as a team, but he’s entitled to do the above. It doesn’t stick in my throat as he’s a decent fella. I can’t remember the opponent about ten games to go in the season just, but Lallana slid in there to block a clearance and it resulted in a crucial goal for us. The endeavor is there, but like everyone else, I’m not seeing too much action for him this next campaign. League Cup winner, perhaps?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Hopefully Klopp gets rid now. Had a good 12 months under Klopp when Klopp first got here.
Done nothing before or since.
Of course he wants to stay - on a nice contract and will have to take a massive cut when he goes next club.
So you forgot that he was a regular starter during 2016/17 campaign.
No he didn't. Klopp arrived in october 15 and Lallana was great for us in that year (not season) but then he started to get the injuries rugulary.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Lallana played just over 3,500 minutes across 15/16 and just over 2,600 minutes across 16/17.

Since then he's played 1,024 minutes of football across all competitions in two seasons (568 minutes this season).

That's barely twelve games.

SadiosMio

Not sure what your point is about mane. Do you think every wide attacker can do what he does?

Pepe has just completed a significantly more productive year (G+A) year in France than Mane did in his best year in Austria & they share similar characteristics so why not?

Mane's ability to play rw though is why I expect Liverpool to favor a right or two footer to play lw...

Given how narrow the positions front three adopt when we have possession I'm convinced this largely doesn't matter

Whether called a cm or ss, Fernandes clearly consistently plays as a very attack minded mid that shoots from distance a lot, doesn't have pace or tricks on the ball, and gives it away a lot.

His level of responsibility & positioning obviously change based on his role, he is not slow certainly quick enough for the positions he plays. I agree that he gives the ball away a lot, incidentally, his pass% has decreased by a couple of percent year on year since Udinese not sure what this is indicative of.

He played deeper for Portugal vs sui and was lost. Shaqiri dominated the por midfield.
He played on the left against Switzerland & I thought Portugal struggled tactically Bernardo, Bruno, Joao, & Cristiano didn't work. Shaq's movement was great he didn't dominate anything though.

Does take a good corner though but need a lot more than that. Coutinhos shot discipline with Mkhitaryan pace and position.

Mkhitaryan at Shakhtar & Dortmund was a dynamic attacking midfielder, his lack of effectiveness post-Dortmund had been a product of the loss of that dynamism as well as playing for shit managers employing old fashion systems. Bruno has never been that type although he roams & shoots a lot his game has more emphasis on the creation of space with his passing as opposed to his running. You rightly point out he will take shots on from anywhere it should, however, be borne in mind that Klopp encourages players to shoot from distance.

... And Germany is a better, faster league than Portugal, and still the adjustment was too much for him.

He played well in the EL where he scored a goal or assisted a teammate every 144 mins, also worth noting as well that his teammates aren't great.

**I didn't really give a shit before but given your curiously irrational stance regarding Fernandes & Pepe if one or both sign for Liverpool, I might actually piss on myself
Um...well that is an odd thing to say and would be even more odd to do.

Suffice it to say I disagree with basically everything above, especially thinking that attributes and skills don't matter for a player's versatility, and hope you don't lose control of bodily function at any point.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
In 2016/17 we did not involve in European competitions, and we also got kicked out early in domestic cups.
Lallana had 31 league appearances, including 27 starts during 2016/17, with 8 goals and 7 assists (more than what he did during 2015/16)
Ok...sure but since 19 March 2017 Lallana's started 9 of 85 league games. He's been subbed in 20 times. He's completed 90 minutes once.

Started 3 of the remaining 9 games of 16/17, 1 game in 17/18 and 5 games the season just gone.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We can go for Ziyech for just £25 million instead of overpriced Bruno Fernandez.
They don't play the same position though. Ziyech is a wide forward (doesn't look responsible enough for me to play centrally, at least not at this level for Klopp), Fernandes is a central attacking midfielder (either one of the advanced #8's or a #10).

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That isn’t true. Klopp can have a frank conversation with him about his status in the squad and how much (or little) he plans to use him. At best Klopp can tell Adam it’s in his best interests to move on.

As Lallana is on north of 100k a week, and has a year left on his contract, the advice is probably getting is sit tight for a year, take the cup appearances, and then get off on a free. It doesn’t make any financial sense for a 31 year old man to take the inevitable hit on his wages for a more down the division, when he could wait a year and get a bigger return on what would be his final contract.
Klopp could probably speak with Edwards to make any move this summer equally as financially beneficial to Lallana as a move next year would be if he wishes. However, i dont think Klopp is likely to try and bounce him out as he still offers some cover and probably plays an important role in training too. Also, I think Klopp still thinks like a player sometimes and understands the contract situation for those nearing the end of them.
There is also the risk to squad morale if he gets heavy on players who then fail to get a move.

jackh1092

They don't play the same position though. Ziyech is a wide forward (doesn't look responsible enough for me to play centrally, at least not at this level for Klopp), Fernandes is a central attacking midfielder (either one of the advanced #8's or a #10).
Have a big feeling Fernandes is heading to UTD. Something i wouldn't be dead against, they are in a position where chances need to be taken on players which we are not. He didn't look amazing in the Nations League- i know this is a small sample, but it's a higher level than the Portugese league.

Thomas1195

The main point is to get a back-up for SFM a.k.a Ziyech, and he is much cheaper than both Pepe and Bruno.
As for CAM, currently, Ox, Keita and even Hendo can play as a No.8 player, and our system currently does not really need a No.10 player.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The main point is to get a back-up for SFM a.k.a Ziyech, and he is much cheaper than both Pepe and Bruno.
As for CAM, currently, Ox, Keita and even Hendo can play as a No.8 player, and our system currently does not really need a No.10 player.
I think we are targeting someone 18-22 for the front positions. Why would we bring in someone around 26/27 which is the same as our current front 3? Surely we start succession planning and that transition period etc. So Ziyech won't be on our radar.

We'd then have Brewster (19), New (20) to be hitting their prime (24) around the times Mane/Salah/Firmino hit their 30s.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Klopp could probably speak with Edwards to make any move this summer equally as financially beneficial to Lallana as a move next year would be if he wishes. However, i dont think Klopp is likely to try and bounce him out as he still offers some cover and probably plays an important role in training too. Also, I think Klopp still thinks like a player sometimes and understands the contract situation for those nearing the end of them.
There is also the risk to squad morale if he gets heavy on players who then fail to get a move.
Couldn’t agree more. Klopp is not the type to rot a lad in the reserves.

To be fair, I can see Lallana going, but only on loan. He goes to play, we get his wages off the books and still gets his nice bosman deal next summer.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Problem with Lallana is conflicted, on the one hand its hard to get a player of his experience and quality happy to play at 2nd choice, then equally, as hard to get him fit to play. Priority has to be fitness, and probably, he might be moved if conditions are right.

JMac8

And presumably Lallana won’t play much, but will benefit from our excellent training and medical facilities as needed, and not put too many miles on the clock, thus prolonging his career.

Sit tight, collect your dough, try to get yourself in the picture to play (unlikely) then move on a Bosman.

We have moved beyond Lallana as a team, but he’s entitled to do the above. It doesn’t stick in my throat as he’s a decent fella. I can’t remember the opponent about ten games to go in the season just, but Lallana slid in there to block a clearance and it resulted in a crucial goal for us. The endeavor is there, but like everyone else, I’m not seeing too much action for him this next campaign. League Cup winner, perhaps?
He’s always needed a string of games to get up to speed, and he’s never going to get this. Looks woeful when returning from injury which is basically his only status other than injured.

Unlike the comment above it does stick in my throat that he would just hang around, lifting a fat pay cheque for doing nothing while waiting for a Bosman. He’s going to be a rich man for the rest of his life no matter what. Why not try to make the best of his career while he can?

Obv this is all speculation. The time he tried to strangle a youth player was the nail in the coffin for me...

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I think that’s just a reflection of how much the market has changed. When we signed Salah, it was only a couple of weeks before PSG kindly destroyed the transfer market for all concerned. Had we bought him at the end of the summer rather than the start, I’m sure he’d have cost £80m rather than £40m.
Psg and later Barca destroyed the market , psg for the price for neymar and Barca for coutinho, dembele deals. This has a trickle down effect to all the deals that Liverpool does. Every club knows that Liverpool has got the money. Not that I'm complaining, but the price for Allison to Liverpool was inflated because of that and also the price to kepa to Chelsea.....

SpecialK210

We're Never Gonna Stop
Psg and later Barca destroyed the market , psg for the price for neymar and Barca for coutinho, dembele deals. This has a trickle down effect to all the deals that Liverpool does. Every club knows that Liverpool has got the money. Not that I'm complaining, but the price for Allison to Liverpool was inflated because of that and also the price to kepa to Chelsea.....
The price for Kepa to Chelsea was due to them meeting his release clause.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
He’s always needed a string of games to get up to speed, and he’s never going to get this. Looks woeful when returning from injury which is basically his only status other than injured.

Unlike the comment above it does stick in my throat that he would just hang around, lifting a fat pay cheque for doing nothing while waiting for a Bosman. He’s going to be a rich man for the rest of his life no matter what. Why not try to make the best of his career while he can?

Obv this is all speculation. The time he tried to strangle a youth player was the nail in the coffin for me...

I think one of the biggest reasons Lallana is still around,is purely for the squad in training and morale,when Klopp knows he has a player who knows the system,Lallana can help others (youngsters or new players) get upto speed with whats needed,plus our first team being able to train against an opponent with skills to keep them on their toes.

I'd much rather us sell him now,while he has some monetry value to put towards a player we can use,but if Klopp wants him around,he must have some use other than sitting on the bench or out being injured,picking up a fat check every week.

D Fred

Are we talking about getting an attacking mid now are we? Jesus I thought we were well bloody stocked in that department. Klopp has very clearly favoured more defensive mids. Hence why Shaq has had so little game time. Then we have the returning Ox and on top of that Lallana who has just confirmed he wants to stay and fight for his position. Can we rely on Adam to stay fit? Not sure but 3 quality players for 1 position, a position Klopp doesn't even really like, sounds excessive enough without contemplating spending god knows what on a 4th player

Like the talk of a CB, would be shocked to see us go for an attacking mid. More defensive mid as a Milly replacement for maybe the season after? Maybe. Even that's a stretch with Naby and Gini here.

Wide forward, LB and potentially a GK replacement depending on what Migs decides.
Based on the Lallana & Shaq declarations I doubt we'll buy an AM, I wouldn't be shocked if they went for another #8 though, someone a little more comfortable linking the midfield & attack.
However, hopefully, Lallana stays fit & has a season where he contributes. I genuinely feel for players who have to sit out significant periods with injury, whether the team is winning or losing it must be shit; hopefully, he finds a little some form, fitness & a little redemption.

Sweeting

DM 6
Fabinho
Henderson
Wijnaldum

CM 8
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner

AM 8 1/2
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lallana

Am I forgetting someone really obvious?

I'm not a fan of seeing Lallana get much playing time but I can envisage him being kept around for a bit of depth and a few league appearances against the likes of Bournemouth at home where we know we just want to press the fuck out of them.

His days out wide are long gone though.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
DM 6
Fabinho
Henderson
Wijnaldum

CM 8
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner

AM 8 1/2
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lallana

Am I forgetting someone really obvious?

I'm not a fan of seeing Lallana get much playing time but I can envisage him being kept around for a bit of depth and a few league appearances against the likes of Bournemouth at home where we know we just want to press the fuck out of them.

His days out wide are long gone though.
Although I think we bought him for a forward role, Shaq could really only be considered part of that AM group these days.

Also remember when grouping by position, almost every signing Klopp has made has been to cover for multiple positions. I don't doubt for a second that in the back of his mind, Klopp bought Fab partly because he offered the flexibility to also play at CB and RB if needed in addition to the middle.

scouseheadross

Septical
Tbf to Lallana his one start I remember this season he was motm:

He's a settled backup that knows our system well and the league plus a right Pro and good lad. Not sure why force the issue. A young hopefully..... so would Gruyic get games?

Sweeting

Tbf to Lallana his one start I remember this season he was motm:

He's a settled backup that knows our system well and the league plus a right Pro and good lad. Not sure why force the issue. A young hopefully..... so would Gruyic get games?
I'll be happy to be proven wrong but I still think Lallana is a significantly better player (for Liverpool and our style) than Grujic ever will be. I'd take the £25m on offer from Germany and run - but I am judging him based on his time at Liverpool and only vaguely follow him in the Bundesliga.