Henderson
Wijnaldum
Milner

AM 8 1/2
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lallana

Am I forgetting someone really obvious?

I'm not a fan of seeing Lallana get much playing time but I can envisage him being kept around for a bit of depth and a few league appearances against the likes of Bournemouth at home where we know we just want to press the fuck out of them.

His days out wide are long gone though.
All 3 of Keita, Ox and Lallana missed time last season.
Ox may never play again at the level that he was up to when he got injured.
This is a big season for Keita. If he cannot settle this season, then he may never!
This is Liverpool's biggest need area in my opinion.

Sweeting

This is a big season for Keita. If he cannot settle this season, then he may never!
Keita was excellent at the end of the season though so I'm not worried about him being settled.

Ox is a concern although those kind of injuries don't seem to wreck careers the way they once did.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Keita was excellent at the end of the season though so I'm not worried about him being settled.

Ox is a concern although those kind of injuries don't seem to wreck careers the way they once did.
Hopefully Keita's English is improving. At the time he transferred it was apparently only good enough to allow for a Tier 5 work permit (which is a temporary permit for 12 months with only limited ability to extend). He needs to show sufficient proficiency in English to get a Tier 2 work permit if it isn't to create a problem.

I'm glad that Ox has had a gentle reintroduction, picking up a few minutes towards the end of the season and now some further time to continue his rehabilitation with, hopefully, a full pre-season.

redfanman

TIA Regular
First it was CBs now it's our midfield. I'm really surprised that people are worrying more about the areas of the team where we have the most depth rather than the least?.

Surely the priority should be depth where we don't have it first and then the rest?

rab

First it was CBs now it's our midfield. I'm really surprised that people are worrying more about the areas of the team where we have the most depth rather than the least?.

Surely the priority should be depth where we don't have it first and then the rest?
Exactly this.

We have two out and out fullbacks in our entire squad. A position key to both our defensive strength and attacking potency has zero real depth and yet some are looking at CB and CM as priority areas.

We can't go into the season happy with the cover being a centre back who is continually labeled injury prone (although I disagree with that assessment), a 33 year old central midfielder and a kid who has never made the match day squad.

Fullback and wide forward are priority one. Anything else we do is just replacing out going players that currently offer depth like Migs and Lallana or bringing in a young development player

D Fred

Um...well that is an odd thing to say and would be even more odd to do.

Suffice it to say I disagree with basically everything above, especially thinking that attributes and skills don't matter for a player's versatility, and hope you don't lose control of bodily function at any point.
I disagree with basically everything above
The entire post challenges what I perceived to be your quite limited perspective of two really interesting footballers, so this is not really a surprise

...attributes and skills don't matter for a player's versatility
Don't think I said this

Don't lose control of bodily function at any point
We'll just have to see how things work out...

D Fred

Exactly this.

We have two out and out fullbacks in our entire squad. A position key to both our defensive strength and attacking potency has zero real depth and yet some are looking at CB and CM as priority areas.

Buying a fullback that is -
(1) Cheap
(2) Willing to be a second option
(3) Has the required quality to earn the manager's trust to deputize against the better teams is going to be really tough

Apart from Kelly have we been linked to any Left backs so far? If we buy a right back what does that mean for Ki-Jana Hoever?

redfanman

TIA Regular
(1) Cheap
(3) Has the required quality to earn the manager's trust to deputize against the better teams is going to be really tough

Apart from Kelly have we been linked to any Left backs so far? If we buy a right back what does that mean for Ki-Jana Hoever?
I dont think we are looking for a RB. Presumably if we did bring one in, it would suggest that Hoever would get games at CB instead - but I haven't seen anything to suggest a RB is being tracked.

I don't think I have seen other Lbs mentioned but the noise from the relatively reliable do point towards a left back coming in if they can find one - as Larouci and Lewis appear to be further behind in their development than Hoever.

Flobs

FADA

Excellent is pushing it a lot. He improved on his poor initial performances would be nearer the truth imo.
Very disappointing overall so I hope he kicks on next season.

Flobs

FADA
(1) Cheap

Ireally don't see the point in not getting in players that will push for a place in the team. Keep everyone on their toes and have decent replacements for cup matches helping rotation at the same time. Surely we want to push on not stagnate?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ireally don't see the point in not getting in players that will push for a place in the team. Keep everyone on their toes and have decent replacements for cup matches helping rotation at the same time. Surely we want to push on not stagnate?
Clearly the club want players who can push for a place - but seriously how many left backs are there out there anywhere near the level of Robbo and would be willing and available to come here?

SadiosMio

I disagree with basically everything above
The entire post challenges what I perceived to be your quite limited perspective of two really interesting footballers, so this is not really a surprise
lol no. It's all a rehash at this point. You think they're good enough, I don't and I don't know why we need to subject ourselves and everyone else to more of that.

Can we agree based on what the player has said about Liverpool and the current status of the club that if Bruno signs for man u or spurs that Liverpool wasn't interested?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I wish we could eliminate rumors about contract extensions from the Twitter rumors thread. I know it's team news and I'm glad we're extending these guys, but we all know that we're not dipping into that thread to read some rando twitter source claim that we're negotiating a contract extension with Gini Wijnaldum. This is a transfer-talk forum. We want some real juicy gossip to sink our teeth into and argue about endlessly until the next juicy morsel is dropped into that thread.

Flobs

FADA
Clearly the club want players who can push for a place - but seriously how many left backs are there out there anywhere near the level of Robbo and would be willing and available to come here?
We might wish we had offered a new contract to Moreno. lol

SadiosMio

It's tough. Basically you'd like another 18 year old Trent... that's not asking much :-)

hoosierred

We might wish we had offered a new contract to Moreno. lol
It is basically why Moreno stayed this year, I think... It will be hard to find an LB or RB who offers even his attributes who is willing to come to Liverpool to sit on the bench behind a pair of very young and very good fullbacks.

To be fair, it is a wonderful problem to have.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
How, if he played like 95% of the time on the right side?
You are right. He's played way more as a forward this season than I thought.

11 starts

AM : Soton, Huddersfield,
RF: Fulham, Watford, Everton, Newcastle, BHA, Leicester
RM: Burnley, Arsenal,Bournemouth

5 starts in midfield. 6 as a forward. Even though they play quite differently I think he'll be vying for the same position as Ox next season. Especially if we purchase a wide forward like we all expect.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
The minutes he played behind the striker with a double pivot behind him were never from the start. When he played on the right, he was a winger, be it in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Even if he does cut inside a lot, waits for the ball a lot and looks to combine more on the inside (doesn't always work, lost about 5 balls against Barca from which they created about two counter attacks, I wish he'd accept more that this is not Stoke and attacks the space more). Though of course, in the former case you need to be more in line with our midfield. I don't see him competing for one of the two advanced #8's like Ox does. Don't know where that idea of playing Shaqiri in central midfield in a 4-3-3 comes from to be honest. It's not his strength, it's not his position. Nor do I think he can adapt to it like Ox. He does play as #10 behind the striker for Switzerland lately, but that's not close to our level and he's one of their key players, hence why they moved him into a more important role. He'll continue being a backup for the right side (hopefully provide the good stuff he brought off the bench end of autumn/winter time) and now we need to add someone who covers on the left, up top, or both.

SadiosMio

The minutes he played behind the striker with a double pivot behind him were never from the start. When he played on the right, he was a winger, be it in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Even if he does cut inside a lot, waits for the ball a lot and looks to combine more on the inside (doesn't always work, lost about 5 balls against Barca from which they created about two counter attacks, I wish he'd accept more that this is not Stoke and attacks the space more). Though of course, in the former case you need to be more in line with our midfield. I don't see him competing for one of the two advanced #8's like Ox does. Don't know where that idea of playing Shaqiri in central midfield in a 4-3-3 comes from to be honest. It's not his strength, it's not his position. Nor do I think he can adapt to it like Ox. He does play as #10 behind the striker for Switzerland lately, but that's not close to our level and he's one of their key players, hence why they moved him into a more important role. He'll continue being a backup for the right side (hopefully provide the good stuff he brought off the bench end of autumn/winter time) and now we need to add someone who covers on the left, up top, or both.
Given this, if shaqiri stays as seems likely, it seems unlikely that Liverpool would sign another RW unless it was a very young one, yes? Especially a left footer near the same age or just a couple of years younger than Salah?

I think a lot of folks' transfers wishes were with the idea that lallana and shaqiri would be sold, and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

This is why in the Everton cup thing, I was mainly looking at big buys for 2020. The club may well be also and may keep powder dry this summer.

D Fred

I'm not against that either, I just think it's a tricky task.
Moreno could be described as a 'competent' premier league fullback & a senior squad member but Klopp clearly didn't trust him to deputize in any but the most meaningless games or the most desperate circumstances.

Getting a player better than Moreno who is (a) Younger & is willing to come in primarily as cover knowing they are going to have to sacrifice development or (b) An established pro who still has the legs to do what Andy Robbo does but is willing to sit out the majority of games is going to be pretty tough.

Someone who covers both flanks is an obvious answer but I'm not sure the budget for a second-string fullback is particularly extravagant.

Last edited:

D Fred

lol no. It's all a rehash at this point. You think they're good enough, I don't and I don't know why we need to subject ourselves and everyone else to more of that.

Can we agree based on what the player has said about Liverpool and the current status of the club that if Bruno signs for man u or spurs that Liverpool wasn't interested?
Okey dokey...?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
OK. Come on. This is the rumours thread, and while a bit of discussion is fine there have now been pages and pages added with barely a whisper to support them.

There is obviously a need for a general thread to cover the broad philosophy of what the club are trying to do to develop the playing squad (if you are keen to have that conversation, then feel free to start it), but let’s try and keep this to rumours please.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
OK. Come on. This is the rumours thread, and while a bit of discussion is fine there have now been pages and pages added with barely a whisper to support them.

There is obviously a need for a general thread to cover the broad philosophy of what the club are trying to do to develop the playing squad (if you are keen to have that conversation, then feel free to start it), but let’s try and keep this to rumours please.
Yep. Navel-gazing central this of late

Well urged. Navel gazing central the thread this summer. Given the club's much welcomed tight ship policy on transfer dealings, perhaps a temporary lock would not go amiss?

SadiosMio

David Lynch from the Standard says at the bottom of the Ox contract article that there's nothing in the Pepe links and the club suspects their name is being used to spur action.

rab

Di Marzio claiming AC Milan interest in Lovren. Make of that what you will but I'd suggest it involve an industrial sized pinch of salt