• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

oegim

I'm not sure we could replace him with anyone better with out paying crazy money.
I'd agree, he'd have to go looking for a similarly ageing CB or a younger one with potential, which both have problems risk wise and financially for the latter. I'd keep Lovren and work it as it's currently being worked, at the moment we have three capable partners for VVD, that's a rarity in most clubs.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not for nothing is this thread called the unreliable rumours thread.
Sure sign that IF anything is happening it is being kept very much under wraps as it should be,there will not be anymore VVD fiascos.

Danny_

If Lovren happy being 4th choice behind Matip and Gomez, I am fine with him staying. If we can get 35m for him, that's definitely worth considering. However, who knows what players are worth in the crazy market today. I know I don't anymore.

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
Sure, 3 good partners for Virgil but no real cover for the LCB slot. That's the issue that nobody is acknowledging. Lovren can play there but is a horror show on the left (remember that Spurs game when he was dragged off after half an hour looking like a rabbit with miximatosis?), plus he hasn't always been available when cover has been needed.

Sure Virgil is tough and plays most games but best case scenario he needs a rest every now and again. We need a proper LCB who can step up and I can see it happening if we get any sensible offer for Lovren. The only transfer noise from the club this window has been setting his price at £25m. That suggests we kindof want that out there.

I see David Neves has been linked to Everton..... someone must have overheard a Scouse accent: right city, wrong club. Think he could be the young, pacy forward to play backup to our front three.
Bad times, mate, bad times. Not just Lovren, either - those rabbits in Watership Down didn't appreciate how easy they had it.

SadiosMio

I see David Neves has been linked to Everton..... someone must have overheard a Scouse accent: right city, wrong club. Think he could be the young, pacy forward to play backup to our front three.
Problem is for Neres moving to Everton arguably makes more sense. Better chance for playing time, maybe even starting, making great money. This the challenge with buying "squad players" -- most players want to play more, and only paying them wages over the odds typically changes their mind, which Liverpool doesn't want to do.

It's a great problem to have that your front 3 are so good that most players don't rate their chances of bettering them. You almost need to find someone that's already not in a great situation (either playing time wise, or is young enough to not expect to be a first-choice player at a big club), most big clubs don't rate as a first-choice option, but yet is still good enough to merit 1500 min or so at Liverpool and develop his talent. They may just go with Origi and Shaqiri, both of who seem happy to stay and made important contributions this year.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Problem is for Neres moving to Everton arguably makes more sense. Better chance for playing time, maybe even starting, making great money. This the challenge with buying "squad players" -- most players want to play more, and only paying them wages over the odds typically changes their mind, which Liverpool doesn't want to do.

It's a great problem to have that your front 3 are so good that most players don't rate their chances of bettering them. You almost need to find someone that's already not in a great situation (either playing time wise, or is young enough to not expect to be a first-choice player at a big club), most big clubs don't rate as a first-choice option, but yet is still good enough to merit 1500 min or so at Liverpool and develop his talent. They may just go with Origi and Shaqiri, both of who seem happy to stay and made important contributions this year.
The best players generally believe in themselves. Anyhow, I don't think it will be as tough as you think getting someone of the required quality to join our club.

I think there are plenty who would jump at the opportunity to join the European Champions and to have the chance to go for it again next year.

They'll get more than 1500 minutes if they stay healthy, contribute and we don't get kicked out of the domestic cups so early.

SadiosMio

The best players generally believe in themselves. Anyhow, I don't think it will be as tough as you think getting someone of the required quality to join our club.

I think there are plenty who would jump at the opportunity to join the European Champions and to have the chance to go for it again next year.

They'll get more than 1500 minutes if they stay healthy, contribute and we don't get kicked out of the domestic cups so early.
If a young attacker comes in thinking they're better than two 20+ goal scoring wingers on the European champions, well they're probably not very smart and not apt to work as hard as someone that knows they're not as good but wants to work with klopp to someday get there. Many would choose more money and/or more playing time over that.

No one Liverpool could sign is going to be preferred to that front 3 next year. Anyone that comes in has to be willing to be a positive presence amid that reality and not sulk bc they have an inflated view of their ability.

It's not an easy fit, all of that.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Got something to get off my chest. What's this thread called? Then why do people complain so much when they see a rumour that's considered unreliable? (It's ironic. Rambler did I use it right?)
How would a journalist have a reliable rumour? How do we know it's reliable? Come on those who moan get a grip!!
Then there's an article on the main site whining about unreliable transfer rumours while reporting all the unreliable transfer rumours they were whining were unreliable. Really? If that's how you feel TIA dedicate the article to something more useful. But you won't. Why not? Because really we all love an unreliable rumour hence the thread.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
If a young attacker comes in thinking they're better than two 20+ goal scoring wingers on the European champions, well they're probably not very smart and not apt to work as hard as someone that knows they're not as good but wants to work with klopp to someday get there. Many would choose more money and/or more playing time over that.

No one Liverpool could sign is going to be preferred to that front 3 next year. Anyone that comes in has to be willing to be a positive presence amid that reality and not sulk bc they have an inflated view of their ability.

It's not an easy fit, all of that.

I’m slowly coming around to the theory that fans are well and truely lagging behind footballers when it comes to theories on the need to play.

It’s a squad game more than ever now and in my opinion, most players are probably happy with 4-6 games a month at most and can plan their season around conditioning for those.

Being left out on the weekend vs man utd ( for instance) isn’t the kick in the guts it once was, as it gives you valuable recuperation time.

I don’t think it’s like the old days where the team is announced just before you start getting changed, I believe players know well and truely when they are required to be mentally ready for 90 minutes.

Yes, some flexibility is required, but I imagine there’s a skeleton plan for each player for each week, month, season and I don’t think players are fixated on what used to be the sole driver, being a ‘first team regular’.

Now I’m not saying their happy not to play, but for an attacker ( whom we are discussing) tone signed he might not need to be sold on him ‘replacing’ mo or Sadio in the first 11.

There’s obviously a pride thing in being in the managers ‘cup final 11’ but there’s so many variables between the 50 plus games between August and April/May that I don’t imagine it plays a significant part in a players thinking.

And when I’m talking about signing a player for rotation, I’m not talking in one extreme about kylian mbappe or the other, Ricky Lambert.

Let’s just call it a realistic target like timo Werner.

Anyway, the main point I’m trying to make is, I think most players are accepting it’s a squad game now and still feel a part of the success....look at the podium when we lifted the CL, lovren, Moreno, keita, Brewster are all there during the revelries becuase they truely feel they made a contribution.

SadiosMio

I rate him but doubt Neres or similar will join as Origi played very little and should see way more action. He waited all year for his chances and grabbed them with both hands. That UCL final finish was exquisite. Just needs to keep focus. Certainly quick, tricky, powerful with goals, so all we would want as a direct replacement for Sturridge isn't he?

That leaves Brewster (and Wilson?) looking to scrape minutes here and there. Klopp sees something in him. Tough mentality to do it. Easier to get paid at goodison I agree. That's the sort of personality we need to avoid though!

Klopp vets players before they join. Quality quote from Milner in the behind the scenes victory footage. "This was built on the runway preseason. Sat there for nine hours. Not a moan from anyone." How do you scout for that? A team of captains too - England, Holland, Egypt, Scotland, Croatia.

Mad squad so let's not moan! We don't want to dilute what we've got.
Yep, I think klopp will want to see everyone in training and preseason before he makes decisions on buying. It could be that it's a spurs summer and we go again.

rab

Yep, I think klopp will want to see everyone in training and preseason before he makes decisions on buying. It could be that it's a spurs summer and we go again.
Can't be a Spurs summer with Sturridge, Moreno and probably Mignolet out the door. None of them played much year this year but that was more luck than judgement.

I'm starting to think it'll be squad type players to replace the latter two and maybe something more substantial but in the £20m-£35m bracket to cover wide out, allowing Origi to play centrally when called upon.

Anything else would depend on the likes of Lovren or Lallana leaving but I still reckon they'd be replaced with younger players to be developed than established guaranteed starters.

Not necessarily what I'd like us to do but what I think may happen.

SadiosMio

Can't be a Spurs summer with Sturridge, Moreno and probably Mignolet out the door. None of them played much year this year but that was more luck than judgement.

I'm starting to think it'll be squad type players to replace the latter two and maybe something more substantial but in the £20m-£35m bracket to cover wide out, allowing Origi to play centrally when called upon.

Anything else would depend on the likes of Lovren or Lallana leaving but I still reckon they'd be replaced with younger players to be developed than established guaranteed starters.

Not necessarily what I'd like us to do but what I think may happen.
Sturridge replaced by Brewster and a bigger role for Origi with him still the first sub for LW but a more frequent sub as striker.

Moreno replaced by Milner becoming a utility player and less frequent starter, and maybe trying out academy kids in the cups.

Mignolet stays.

Not saying that's how it'll go but it's a plausible scenario especially if he likes what he sees from Wilson and Grujic in the summer.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
How did that work out for the spuds then? As things stand we have no FB cover, and by that I do mean no WINGBACK cover. Robbo and Trent are both utilised as wingbacks. I hope that is clear to all. The great LFC sides of the past were built on a continual quality recruitment policy, even if it were just one individual per season to freshen the squad. Resting on our laurels was never a crime that we could be accused of in our hayday.

Last edited:

How did that work out for the spuds then? As things stand we have no FB cover, and by that I do mean no WINGBACK cover. Robbo and Trent are both utilised as wingbacks. I hope that is clear to all. The great LFC sides of the past were built on a continual quality recruitment policy, even if it were just one individual per season to freshen the squad. Resting on our laurels was never a crime that we could be accused of in our hayday.
Is the right answer.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
For me the idea of keeping the same squad as last season is the same notion of standing still.
We should always look to improve.
None of our competitors will be thinking of not improving next season and nor should we.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
For me the idea of keeping the same squad as last season is the same notion of standing still.
We should always look to improve.
None of our competitors will be thinking of not improving next season and nor should we.
Define improvement. Is it always going to the market and buying new lads?

I definitely agree we shouldn’t stand still, but Klopp will rightly back himself and his staff to kick on, even just with the personnel we already have.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.

I definitely agree we shouldn’t stand still, but Klopp will rightly back himself and his staff to kick on, even just with the personnel we already have.
Definition being that with squad players going, unless we replace them with similar or better quality, we are have a less able squad than last season.
As much as Moreno or sturridge or mignolet didn’t play too much, they were there if needed.
Milner can play left back, but he’s 34 and can’t be expected to cover every position like an odd job man.
We have question marks over lallana, lovren and oxlades fitness and then matip and Gomez missed quite a few as well.
Can you expect TAA to play most games?

If Salah hits a dry patch again (he was stuck on 49 goals for ages) or mane goes a while without scoring, we can’t rotate it.

I’m not saying we should spend for spendings sake but we shouldn’t let the champions league success hide the fact that our squad is very scarce in places and we are in such a good position to attract quality we shouldn’t let it go amiss.

Sweeting

Didn't you see how Jorginho made Chelsea into a juggernaut?

Sanchez took Utd to a new level.

Mahrez was £70m signed for depth - that's the kind of signing you need to win the Champions League.

Aubameyang has single handedly made Arsenal into a top 4 team again.

Spurs fell flat on their face and missed the top 4 and made no cup runs because they didn't strengthen while everyone around them got better.

Facts.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Didn't you see how Jorginho made Chelsea into a juggernaut?

Sanchez took Utd to a new level.

Mahrez was £70m signed for depth - that's the kind of signing you need to win the Champions League.

Aubameyang has single handedly made Arsenal into a top 4 team again.

Spurs fell flat on their face and missed the top 4 and made no cup runs because they didn't strengthen while everyone around them got better.

Facts.
Thing is with spurs is they won nothing.
season before last they finished with 77points. They didn’t strengthen. Last season they ended with 71points. You could argue they stood still and remained the same quality but the others around them improved.

But either way we shouldn’t be looking at the teams below us. We should be looking at the One team which finished above us and try to bridge that gap. Not necessarily spending billions. Not having a flurry of panic buys. But addressing where our weaknesses are.

SadiosMio

It's also a young team. Just training under klopp will make them better.

With two points worth of luck, it's a no brainer.

The few players that one might want to sell may not want to leave. And I don't klopp will try very hard to make them.

He's got a great balance and fantastic team of players that really like playing and working with and for each other.

There may be ways to improve with signings this summer, but there also may not be, at least not ones the club and klopp are comfortable with.

Grujic was one of the best mids in Germany in 2019. He may well be an addition to the first team.

I think Klopp has it all under control. He's knows what we need to improve and will not sign somebody just to fill a gap. There is always a method behind his madness.

How do I know he won't stand still? Because we haven't, each year has been a marked improvement over the previous year. Now topping a champions league winning season will be difficult but Klopp will defo try and improve.

Bob learnt from Bill. Bob thought Bill let his first Great team (Ian St John great name) grow old. Bob never made that mistake. Every year a player or two was bought to freshen up the squad or to add competition. That's where I feel we are with Klopp.

SadiosMio

Thing is with spurs is they won nothing.
season before last they finished with 77points. They didn’t strengthen. Last season they ended with 71points. You could argue they stood still and remained the same quality but the others around them improved.

But either way we shouldn’t be looking at the teams below us. We should be looking at the One team which finished above us and try to bridge that gap. Not necessarily spending billions. Not having a flurry of panic buys. But addressing where our weaknesses are.
It was a one point difference. There is no gap. The gap is 1.1 cm or whatever it was.