The Unreliable Rumours Thread

SadiosMio

Di Marzio claiming AC Milan interest in Lovren. Make of that what you will but I'd suggest it involve an industrial sized pinch of salt
Easy to believe Milan is interested. Be a great signing for them. Whether Lovren is interested in them is far less clear.

SadiosMio

DiMarzio also in the last hour twittering that raiola is in Paris to negotiate with psg re: De Ligt.

Barca getting gazumped again?

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Sure, I'm just giving my opinion on the player, which is what the forum is for.

I've seen our own fans suggesting De Ligt walks straight in to our team and makes us world beaters, and is capable of replacing Van Dijk if he's out. I've also seen De Ligt play 5 or 6 games. I see a good player there, one with a lot of potential, but I can't understand the faith in his currently ability. He's made a handful of defensive lapses in the few games I've seen of him and Ajax had a fairly porous defence last season, even in a weak Dutch league.
Apologies if my post came across as directed at you or stating you were wrong.
As Iv said previously i have not seen him play much. I think there was a couple of games in their EL run and likewise their CL run but every game he has impressed me. Yes, he will make mistakes like against England, what I was trying to allude to is that for a 19 yr old CB (a position where players usually dont impress until their mid 20s) he has actually achieved quite alot on a personal level.
Look at Gomez and TAA both young players and whom both make mistakes, but look how much they have improved over the last season and a half, im not saying it is all down to VVD and Alisson as its a team game and that would be disrespectful to both players, but it has been a factor.
It doesnt have to be De Ligt, but i wouldnt be against signing a young CB of high potential who could comfortably play a high percentage of games. De Ligt looks to have a lot of the abilities to be that man, and increasing the level of competition cant be a bad thing if used in a balanced manner.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
He's not as good as Matip. Matip was a top defender in the Bundesliga and still only this year, his 3rd in the PL, got to the level of dominance he had there. My guess is he's the first choice alongside Van Dijk to start next year, even if Gomez is all the way back.

Ajax is absolutely mugging off a club that pays 75M or even 50M for him. Militao cost 45M and he's every bit the prospect of De Ligt. Including him, only 3 of the 20 most expensive CB transfers ever have come from outside the top 4 leagues -- Militao, Lindelof for 31.5M (not a good buy), D Sanchez for 36M (not a good buy either, but probably better than Lindelof).

I could go further but honestly I don't want to give any rival lurkers ideas they might not already have, and yes I do think some other clubs are so dumb that I might know things about the market they don't. The top 10 most expensive CB transfers is an absolute mess -- VVD, Laporte, Stones, Luiz, Otamendi, Bonucci, Silva, Mustafi, D Sanchez, Bailly. Good grief. Everton spent 27M on Yerry Mina. Woof. City spent the same on Mangala 5 years ago. Both are top 25 most expensive ever. Double woof. Buying CBs is an absolute minefield and what a club is willing to pay is no indication of quality right now, or until consistently proven otherwise.
Whilst i don't object to your opinion, it depends on who you class as the top 4 leagues in the world and you don't account for inflation.
For example I believe Jaap Stam was a transfer record at the time, you then have players like Carvalho, David Luiz and as you stated Mangala.
The thing is you are focusing on the country they are playing their football in currently. Our very own VVD started in Holland and then played in Scotland and is now considered the best CB at present and there were alot of fans whi questioned his fee. Hansen started in Scotland and is considered one of the best CB’s of the 80’s/early 90’s, Koeman, Alderwield, Vertonghan, etc.
As you quite rightly stated the transfer fee doesn't determine whether the player will be a success or not. This is highlighted with VVD £75m Gomez £3m and Matip £0m.

A question if you may, of the CB’s available at present who would you sign?

SadiosMio

Whilst i don't object to your opinion, it depends on who you class as the top 4 leagues in the world and you don't account for inflation.
For example I believe Jaap Stam was a transfer record at the time, you then have players like Carvalho, David Luiz and as you stated Mangala.
The thing is you are focusing on the country they are playing their football in currently. Our very own VVD started in Holland and then played in Scotland and is now considered the best CB at present and there were alot of fans whi questioned his fee. Hansen started in Scotland and is considered one of the best CB’s of the 80’s/early 90’s, Koeman, Alderwield, Vertonghan, etc.
As you quite rightly stated the transfer fee doesn't determine whether the player will be a success or not. This is highlighted with VVD £75m Gomez £3m and Matip £0m.

A question if you may, of the CB’s available at present who would you sign?
After mascot's appropriate admonishment of the whole for mass offtopicness, probably best to take this to private. Happy to answer there.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
After mascot's appropriate admonishment of the whole for mass offtopicness, probably best to take this to private. Happy to answer there.
Sorry only just seen Mascot’s post. But sure, i am happy to discuss it privately or in a more suitable thread. I dont disagree with your opinion/point of view but feel there are other factors involved.

By the way how do i include Emoji’s in my posts? Im not a massive fan of them, but when text can be misconstrued they help.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Yeah looks done as you say. The Daily Record reporting he will join up with them for the first day of pre-season training.
As iv mentioned before I respect your opinion on our youth players. What is your honest assessment at moment?? So weve released Matterson who was on the bench a few times, is there a reason for this - not progressed/better prospects.
Additionally players like Ojo, Kent, Kane, Wilson, Ejaria, Who have been loaned out on a regular basis.
Is there any player you think will step up, Woodburn seems to have stagnated for some reason, maybe because his best position is still questionable. But what about Lewis, Hoever, Phillips, Camacho, Jones, Glatzel, Jones?

Sorry, alot of questions but its only because I respect you opinion.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Exactly this.

We have two out and out fullbacks in our entire squad. A position key to both our defensive strength and attacking potency has zero real depth and yet some are looking at CB and CM as priority areas.

We can't go into the season happy with the cover being a centre back who is continually labeled injury prone (although I disagree with that assessment), a 33 year old central midfielder and a kid who has never made the match day squad.

Fullback and wide forward are priority one. Anything else we do is just replacing out going players that currently offer depth like Migs and Lallana or bringing in a young development player
Cant argue with any of your points. Nail on head springs to mind.

I know there were rumours of Adam Lewis stepping up to back up LB and i guess the idea was to promote Camacho to reserve RB. However, it appears he is not happy in this role??

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Not a peep about us in the BBC rumours round up, except for what's already in the Twitter thread, which is AOC's contract renewal. The de Ligt goss is that, one the hand his "advisers" have told him to go to Man U as he'd be guaranteed starts there (and his "advisers" would be guaranteed a bigger percentage) and he could move to Barca later in his careeer, and on the other hand hes going to go on his hols and think about it because he "does not know what my heart says". Aww, bless.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Not quite TAA, but Jemal Lewis!
If I come across stereotypical then I apologise but I cant help but pronounce (or try to) Jemal in a thick afro Caribbean accent, almost like Paddy and Murphy in an Irish accent. In my defence I am of Irish Heritage and my GF is of Jamaican Heritage so hopefully the only thing you can pull me up on is my dull brummie accent.

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Hey man, I'm all for pragmatism and stuff, but lets at least not jump to such drastic conclusions about our own players before they even set foot on the ground?
I've had ACL surgery twice. Trust me, I'm pulling for him more than anybody.
But, if Liverpool want to win the league, they can't count on him to just jump in like nothing happened.

Jaytinho

DiMarzio also in the last hour twittering that raiola is in Paris to negotiate with psg re: De Ligt.

Barca getting gazumped again?
Am I the only who does not care where De Ligt goes? If its Liverpool then cool, we got a young talented potentially world class CB. But if its PSG or Barca then whatever lol We are the European champions now, surely we can get fingers in other pies (pause)

Sweeting

As iv mentioned before I respect your opinion on our youth players. What is your honest assessment at moment?? So weve released Matterson who was on the bench a few times, is there a reason for this - not progressed/better prospects.
Additionally players like Ojo, Kent, Kane, Wilson, Ejaria, Who have been loaned out on a regular basis.
Is there any player you think will step up, Woodburn seems to have stagnated for some reason, maybe because his best position is still questionable. But what about Lewis, Hoever, Phillips, Camacho, Jones, Glatzel, Jones?

Sorry, alot of questions but its only because I respect you opinion.
We are just going through the natural trimming of the fat. Masterson was a good prospect a few years ago but unfortunately his injuries have held him back and fallen behind Hoever, Phillips, Johnston and Williams.

Of the guys you mention as being loaned out regularly, I think most of them are building their value to be in a good position to sell rather than have any prospect of breaking into our team. Wilson aside I think all of Ojo, Kent, Kane and Ejaria will be sold. Woodburn still has time to come good but will go on loan again this year.

Lewis will need to gain first team appearances away from the club as he has a lot of rough edges.
Hoever I expect to see in and around the first team more often next season, not relied upon but there for a few cameos.
Phillips should leave as he has no real prospect of getting into the first team. If he is fit he may get a loan spell away to build his value.
Camacho has the talent to be in our right back rotation but he has reportedly decided to leave and Wolves have £10m.
Jones should get a few appearances, I think it is a year too early for a loan spell as he didn't really shine at U23 level.
Glatzel and Duncan will both be U23s, I wouldn't expect to see either of them around the first team just yet.

Neco Williams could be one who gets a few appearances in pre-season - he is a good RB, very solid defender but with good attacking capability.

GermanRed

@Sweeting IMO the biggest lack in our squad is a right-footed speedy backup for Mané.
Any of the young lads (besides Woodburn) who could be an option in the next 1-2 years?

rab

Easy to believe Milan is interested. Be a great signing for them. Whether Lovren is interested in them is far less clear.
I think they've got FFP issues, compounded by missing out on the CL. There's even talk they might be kicked out the Europa League due to their finances.

Makes me think they'll need to be frugal and spending £20m plus on Lovren isn't likely to be top of their priorities.

SadiosMio

I think they've got FFP issues, compounded by missing out on the CL. There's even talk they might be kicked out the Europa League due to their finances.

Makes me think they'll need to be frugal and spending £20m plus on Lovren isn't likely to be top of their priorities.
Unless they're selling on someone with a higher price tag. But step one is if lovren is interested.

Sweeting

@Sweeting IMO the biggest lack in our squad is a right-footed speedy backup for Mané.
Any of the young lads (besides Woodburn) who could be an option in the next 1-2 years?
Not really, no. Ojo and Kent are probably the only ones with similar physical traits to Mane, and who have played off the left hand side, but as I've said above I don't think they will become first team players for us. Brewster is more of a centre forward than a winger in my opinion.

Further down the youth system then you could maybe look at Curtis Jones to play on the left but he is no way similar to Mane.

If Larouci converts back into being a winger then he has the potential to be a first team player but he looks settled at wing back.

Fidel O'Rourke has the pace to play out wide but I've only seen him play on the right or CF and he hasn't even established himself as an U18 regular yet.

FilthyBloke

Sky Sports reporting that AC Milan will bid for Lovren this summer.
Im sure he would be tempted with first team football. Out of all our defenders I think he is least suited to our play. He’s still got qualities though.
I doubt Milan would offer much....Italians rarely do.

But I’m sure one of the users on here has a profile which reads something like ‘I’ll personally drive lovren to the airport.’
That could be the deal breaker.

Danny_

He would be a very good CB if he was not prone to lapses in concentration. But, I don't think this is going to change. The only reason I would be wary of selling him is because, apparently, he is best mates with Salah and it could upset him if Lovren was to leave. I don't think that is a good enough reason to keep him though. If a bid of 35m or more is made, we should take it.

GermanRed

Not really, no. Ojo and Kent are probably the only ones with similar physical traits to Mane, and who have played off the left hand side, but as I've said above I don't think they will become first team players for us. Brewster is more of a centre forward than a winger in my opinion.

Further down the youth system then you could maybe look at Curtis Jones to play on the left but he is no way similar to Mane.

If Larouci converts back into being a winger then he has the potential to be a first team player but he looks settled at wing back.

Fidel O'Rourke has the pace to play out wide but I've only seen him play on the right or CF and he hasn't even established himself as an U18 regular yet.
So we have to buy...

rockafella

TIA Squad Member
We need four centre back options. No problem with selling Lovren - might even make sense considering his terrible injury record - but we need to replace him.

Main "big money" priority needs to be a quality player as a front three option.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Lovren will leave next summer almost surely if it's not now. He can't deserve a new contract with his age, style and niggles. So this summer... it depends on the offer, his willingness to leave and what can we get on the market in return (obviously de Ligt is not going to happen, someone cheaper surely). I know some people who talked with him on two occasions, before the Spurs game in the league and post-Madrid and he said that there's a possibility he could leave. Italy was mentioned, yes. So we'll see.