• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Definition being that with squad players going, unless we replace them with similar or better quality, we are have a less able squad than last season.
As much as Moreno or sturridge or mignolet didn’t play too much, they were there if needed.
Milner can play left back, but he’s 34 and can’t be expected to cover every position like an odd job man.
We have question marks over lallana, lovren and oxlades fitness and then matip and Gomez missed quite a few as well.
Can you expect TAA to play most games?

If Salah hits a dry patch again (he was stuck on 49 goals for ages) or mane goes a while without scoring, we can’t rotate it.

I’m not saying we should spend for spendings sake but we shouldn’t let the champions league success hide the fact that our squad is very scarce in places and we are in such a good position to attract quality we shouldn’t let it go amiss.
The only definite need is cover at LB. Ox will be ready next season, Brewster will be ready to play, and I expect Kieta to be firing on all cylinders. Depending on how you feel about Milner at LB, maybe not even that is a definite (I'd like someone else in the squad capable).

Personally I'd also like to see competition or a rotation option for the front 3, but I think klopp will give Brewster or wilson some time. Brewster is the one to watch for me. I hope he takes his chance when it comes. If he doesn't, I expect klopp will go into the market, but I think Brewster gets his chance first.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It was a one point difference. There is no gap. The gap is 1.1 cm or whatever it was.
Yes. The smallest of gaps.
Don’t get me wrong, if we sign no one I will still be optimistic. We have a great core to the squad and the confidence will be sky high.
But it will be a potentially longer season than last season. More games. More wear and tear. I just think we should have more options.
If not, no worries, we go with what we have.

Danny_

We definitely need a LB and we need to add a world class attacker as well to the squad. We will also probably need a replacement for Mignolet as I don't think he will stay.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Klopps on holiday relaxing in Vegas not even thinking or worrying about transfers. Neither should we be. It’s all in hand.

Pretty sure the way Lfc are now run we have our targets lined up and we will see things start to progress in a few weeks. If it was a few years ago I’d be worried!

I love this thread some of the players were linked with is crazy (I’m a main contributor to that!). Wish Jurgen would log on and read them all we’d hear his laugh from Vegas.

It’s been a long and stressful season let’s all chill for a few weeks before it all starts again!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
BBC
Liverpool have made an offer for Lille's Ivory Coast winger Nicolas Pepe, 24. (Le10 Sport, via Daily Express)
And Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is willing to sell Egypt striker Mohamed Salah, 27, if Pepe comes to Anfield. (Le10 Sport - in French)

Love to see Pepe come in but at the expense of Mo? Nah lads, doubt it.
[/QUOTE
Mo going for Pepe,just ain’t going going to happen.
Whatever that Journo is on he needs to stop it,he’ll go blind.

rab

Sturridge replaced by Brewster and a bigger role for Origi with him still the first sub for LW but a more frequent sub as striker.

Moreno replaced by Milner becoming a utility player and less frequent starter, and maybe trying out academy kids in the cups.

Mignolet stays.

Not saying that's how it'll go but it's a plausible scenario especially if he likes what he sees from Wilson and Grujic in the summer.
Milner won't be the back up at left back and Mignolet won't stay. Full back is too important a position to have a 33 year old midfielder play there, especially when he's very right footed.

Granted, you could say Origi and Brewster cover what Sturridge offered us but all it would take is Mane or Salah to be out for a month and we'd quickly look very short up top.

As Champions of Europe with five competitions next year, a front six consisting of three senior players playing their second consecutive summer tournament in a row, Origi and two kids with no premier league appearances between them is simply not enough.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Milner won't be the back up at left back and Mignolet won't stay. Full back is too important a position to have a 33 year old midfielder play there, especially when he's very right footed.

Granted, you could say Origi and Brewster cover what Sturridge offered us but all it would take is Mane or Salah to be out for a month and we'd quickly look very short up top.

As Champions of Europe with five competitions next year, a front six consisting of three senior players playing their second consecutive summer tournament in a row, Origi and two kids with no premier league appearances between them is simply not enough.
Depends how Brewster plays. If you believe the hype, he’s ready.

rab

Depends how Brewster plays. If you believe the hype, he’s ready.
I'll believe it when I see it.

We can't ignore that our first choice three are off to yet another summer tournament. They'll be back to pre-season later than the rest of the squad. There's a lot of minutes in their legs from the last two years and we've been lucky with injuries with all of them but next season will require some rest and rotation.

Are Origi, Wilson and Brewster enough cover? I also think there's a chance Origi might push to move whilst his stock is high or hold off signing a new contract. He knows he's nothing but a squad option here.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.

We can't ignore that our first choice three are off to yet another summer tournament. They'll be back to pre-season later than the rest of the squad. There's a lot of minutes in their legs from the last two years and we've been lucky with injuries with all of them but next season will require some rest and rotation.

Are Origi, Wilson and Brewster enough cover? I also think there's a chance Origi might push to move whilst his stock is high or hold off signing a new contract. He knows he's nothing but a squad option here.
True. If Origi was to stay though and we sign nobody else up front, we should keep Wilson and Kent. Selling all of our options doesn’t make sense.

ptt

2020, head of the table.

Let me slightly re-phrase your question. Are Origi, Wilson and a young Robbie Fowler good enough as a second 3? Well, swap Wilson for say a striking version of Gary Mc when he came in and yes.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If we don't sign any more attacking options it wouldn't surprise me to see us employing the 442 diamond a little more often next season, particularly when one of our front 3 needs a rest or is out injured. It's not too dissimilar to our current 433 anyway and we have a plenty of good midfielders who'll want game time.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
The only definite need is cover at LB. Ox will be ready next season, Brewster will be ready to play, and I expect Kieta to be firing on all cylinders. Depending on how you feel about Milner at LB, maybe not even that is a definite (I'd like someone else in the squad capable).

Personally I'd also like to see competition or a rotation option for the front 3, but I think klopp will give Brewster or wilson some time. Brewster is the one to watch for me. I hope he takes his chance when it comes. If he doesn't, I expect klopp will go into the market, but I think Brewster gets his chance first.
We need cover for Trent also. Gomez is a CB who can stand in as a defensive RB if needed. Milner, bless him, is getting a bit long in the tooth to be charging up and down the pitch for 90 minutes, which is what Robbo and Trent are required to do in this system and Gomez simply hasn't got the right skill set. What we need to recruit is an attacking FB who can play on both flanks. Unfortunately good ones are difficult to find, even on Football Manager!

rab

Let me slightly re-phrase your question. Are Origi, Wilson and a young Robbie Fowler good enough as a second 3? Well, swap Wilson for say a striking version of Gary Mc when he came in and yes.
Let me re-phrase your answer.

If we're relying on Brewster to be the second coming of one of the most gifted finishers this club has ever seen and Wilson to be upgraded on then quite clearly what we have isn't enough.

I wouldn't mind having both Wilson and Brewster involved but I'd still definitely want someone else to be a wide option in that front three. Let's not forget, goal aside, Origi was absolutely woeful in that final and hasn't really looked a good enough all round player to be relied on as cover for the front three.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Personally I think Ryan sessegnon would be a good signing.
Into his last year so his price will be a bargain. And I’m convinced Klopp can work with him enough to mould him into cover down the entire left side.
It would be a low risk signing.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
We need cover for Trent also. Gomez is a CB who can stand in as a defensive RB if needed. Milner, bless him, is getting a bit long in the tooth to be charging up and down the pitch for 90 minutes, which is what Robbo and Trent are required to do in this system and Gomez simply hasn't got the right skill set. What we need to recruit is an attacking FB who can play on both flanks. Unfortunately good ones are difficult to find, even on Football Manager!
If Comacho goes I fully agree

SadiosMio

True. If Origi was to stay though and we sign nobody else up front, we should keep Wilson and Kent. Selling all of our options doesn’t make sense.
I can't see a place for Kent. He's at Best like the 8th choice forward. Best case is he goes back to rangers, hits double figure goals and assists, rangers wins the league and then he's sold for 20-25m.

wibseyred

The two touches for the goal aside he was absolutely awful. You can celebrate his goal and still acknowledge his performance was pretty terrible.
To be fair you can label that accusation at all the outfield players bar Virg, Matip and Mane. When big D needed that bit of quality and composure he had it.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I just don't believe it. It is just too good to be true. No way, Mbappe is coming to EPL.