• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Will we be able to read about it in your upcoming book?
Not mine but you could read about it in Daniel Geey's book, Done Deal. Here's an extract:

"The benefit of operating via intermediaries is that the identity of the buying club can potentially be hidden (at least initially), avoiding a wasted approach. Major Premier League clubs are sometimes quoted inflated transfer fees (called an English premium, in part because of the massive £8.4bn TV deal agreed for 2016-19), so engaging an agent to agree a fee may reduce the transfer fee or keep it at a more reasonable level. For example, a Premier League team approaching an Italian team directly will almost certainly lead to the Italian club adding an English premium. This is where it can be common practice for the Italian club to quote one transfer fee for Premier League clubs and a lower transfer fee for all other clubs. Therefore, an agent acting for a Premier League team may be tasked to reduce the transfer fee or to try and get a better deal and take a cut of the cost saving."

However, he also doesn't cite specific examples so both he and I are obviously just making it up.

How effective it is in practice is open to debate. If an intermediary wishes to keep the identity of their client confidential the likelihood is that the owning club either isn't going to enter into negotiations on that basis or will suspect that the intermediary is acting for a club with deep pockets (or is a club they wouldn't want to do business with at all). A better approach is for the player's agent to get an agreement with the club as to what transfer fee the owning club would accept if it were to agree to a player's transfer (without any differentiation being made as to where any buying club was). It is often then for the player's agent to try and negotiate that fee with buying club(s) in a dual (or even triple) agency arrangement.

Red over the water

A while ago Dembele would have been a brilliant option. Nowadays, for me at least, there’s too many question marks. A basic prerequisite for any professional at Liverpool has to be a willingness to work hard and buy into the team-first ethic.

As a player Dembele has incredible speed and talent that, when it clicks, makes him look world class. But then on other occasions he almost looks like he lacks a footballers instinct, and even basic touch and talent, and he doesn’t quite seem like he knows where his legs are - a bit like a much upgraded, rich man’s version of Djimi Traore. He can also be very wasteful, such as the two occasions when he could have scored against us and got Barcelona a 4-0 lead in the first leg. It drove Messi mad, and if Dembele played for us it would drive us mad too.

But then again, if you look at some of the highlight reel - two feet, dribbling, and pace to go past people for fun, and weigh in with goals, it looks very tempting. If he knuckles down and works, he could be a sensational signing. It would have been best to sign him from France, or at least from Dortmund. The move to Barcelona might have convinced him he’s made it, when that’s the last thing a talented young footballer needs to be thinking.

Thankfully we have a manager who can unravel all that background noise and make the right decision. If the player has gone, Klopp will know. If he wants to fulfill his potential, again, Klopp will know.

SadiosMio

Let he who was not a dumbass as a teenager/young adult cast the first stone. (I'll definitely be keeping my stone.)

Dembele is fantastically talented and skilled. 90m for him may be the bargain of the century. Klopp may be just what he needs. But he has to want to improve his professionalism, and don't mean leaving an apartment a mess.

Also wonder if Barca is so desperate to get rid if they would cover some of his exorbitant wages for a year or two. Might be worth paying an extra 10 million fee to lower the wage bill, then could implement a reverse incentive structure after (bc people protect against losing what they have more than they are motivated by bonus).

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I also question the whole ‘ his additude could affect the whole squad’ angle, might have been a valid opinion in the days of Rodgers, but under Klopp, I thinks it’s more a case of ‘his whole additude could be affected by the squad’

So long as he’s coming here in some sort of realistic wage comparison, I can’t see a flying winger unsettling what we have built.

It might not work out, but I can’t see him destroying the teams ethos and morale

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Let he who was not a dumbass as a teenager/young adult cast the first stone. (I'll definitely be keeping my stone.)

Dembele is fantastically talented and skilled. 90m for him may be the bargain of the century. Klopp may be just what he needs. But he has to want to improve his professionalism, and don't mean leaving an apartment a mess.

Also wonder if Barca is so desperate to get rid if they would cover some of his exorbitant wages for a year or two. Might be worth paying an extra 10 million fee to lower the wage bill, then could implement a reverse incentive structure after (bc people protect against losing what they have more than they are motivated by bonus).
Go on then. I’m well up for pulling Barca’s pants down again. lol

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Dembele like Mbappe is a player we heavily scouted and went all out for but just lost out.

Edwards loves to go back in for a player.

When all the reports seem to indicate we wont spend big unless a proper opportunity presents itself. It would be for a player like him thats for sure.

D Fred

A while ago Dembele would have been a brilliant option. Nowadays, for me at least, there’s too many question marks. A basic prerequisite for any professional at Liverpool has to be a willingness to work hard and buy into the team-first ethic.

As a player Dembele has incredible speed and talent that, when it clicks, makes him look world class. But then on other occasions he almost looks like he lacks a footballers instinct, and even basic touch and talent, and he doesn’t quite seem like he knows where his legs are - a bit like a much upgraded, rich man’s version of Djimi Traore. He can also be very wasteful, such as the two occasions when he could have scored against us and got Barcelona a 4-0 lead in the first leg. It drove Messi mad, and if Dembele played for us it would drive us mad too.

But then again, if you look at some of the highlight reel - two feet, dribbling, and pace to go past people for fun, and weigh in with goals, it looks very tempting. If he knuckles down and works, he could be a sensational signing. It would have been best to sign him from France, or at least from Dortmund. The move to Barcelona might have convinced him he’s made it, when that’s the last thing a talented young footballer needs to be thinking.

Thankfully we have a manager who can unravel all that background noise and make the right decision. If the player has gone, Klopp will know. If he wants to fulfill his potential, again, Klopp will know.
I'd hate to play in that team though, every time anyone gets the ball, where ever they are they have to give it to Messi. All that shite players say about wanting to play with the GOAT, the reality must be so infuriating if you are half decent & want to express your talent fully. It is pretty obvious to me when watching them that Dembele & Coutinho are having to override their programming whenever they get the ball.

Red over the water

It’s a fair comment about the deference shown to Messi inhibiting other players, or at least reducing what they might have otherwise been able to do. In a lesser way, they struggle with that at Spurs with Kane. When he was injured there was pace and movement, and they looked better. When he plays, too much seems to go through him and it’s all a bit more ponderous. We will never know, but I think they would have been a lot more dangerous to us in the CL final with Kane on the bench.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

The reverse incentive structure you mention has been considered by PL clubs for at least the last five years but they've never been able to get all stakeholders (read, the PFA) to sign up to the idea. Clubs could try putting it in place regardless but it could be difficult to implement initially, present potential interpretation issues (re FFP) for how we record/report wages, and potentially open to challenge legally. I haven't heard of any clubs that have tried it yet although certainly from a psychological point of view it would be interesting to see if there was any tangible difference in performance.

Dave-D

Dembélé is only 22 years old as well, it’s not as if he’s in his prime and has spent his whole career being an idiot. Put him in a squad like Liverpool’s and watch him go, he’d be able to express himself and I’d expect him to toe the line and show the world exactly what he can do.

D Fred

It’s a fair comment about the deference shown to Messi inhibiting other players, or at least reducing what they might have otherwise been able to do. In a lesser way, they struggle with that at Spurs with Kane. When he was injured there was pace and movement, and they looked better. When he plays, too much seems to go through him and it’s all a bit more ponderous. We will never know, but I think they would have been a lot more dangerous to us in the CL final with Kane on the bench.
Agree, Have to admit, I found myself being a little gutted for Moura but was absolutely chuffed they went with Kane to start the game.

Red over the water

Dembélé is only 22 years old as well, it’s not as if he’s in his prime and has spent his whole career being an idiot. Put him in a squad like Liverpool’s and watch him go, he’d be able to express himself and I’d expect him to toe the line and show the world exactly what he can do.
If we were to sign him that’s definitely the hope. He has a huge amount of talent and we could be the ones to consistently unlock it.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
And yet this season alone he has turned up late or entirely missed Barca training sessions at least 3 times which it is reportedly part of the reason they're looking to offload him.

For me £90m is stupid money anyway. He could be a £90m player, but I personally don't think he's done enough to warrant that price tag yet, and it's more reflective of Barca not wanting to make too big a loss on him.

£50m with coutinho type add-ons and a wage drop, fair enough.