• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Certainly looking like we spent a massive wedge on agents fees rather than a player to kick off this transfer window with. :-(

The window's been open for two days now and nobody. Edwards out.

rab

I don't believe the Fekir links for a second, but...

... if he really is available for €15m and some ticket money from a friendly (as if there's a snowballs chance in hell that's part of any deal) then we'd be mad not to.

Unless his knee has been patched up with chicken wire and haribo, he's too good to not to take the chance on. The risk is the same as last year but the consequence significantly reduced at that price. And the laptop avengers must have crunched the numbers on him and given the deal a thumbs up at whatever the figure was last year.

Question is, having bailed on him at the last minute last summer, would he still be keen?

Flobs

FADA
Came from a 'local' paper Le Progés. Sport doesn't tend to be their speciality. Not much else other than other media sorces picking up on it.
The basis of it seems to be an arranged friendly between Lyon and Liverpool in Geneva (31 July 2019). If I remember correctly this has been on the cards for quite a while (seem to remember it being mentionned some time ago). Aren't our preseasons defined now?
Also as mentionned before Lyon have a number of potentially interesting targets and why would we be back in for Fékir for the same money as last season?
Quite a lot not adding up.
Still I think Fékir could be a good addition.

Flobs

FADA
I don't believe the Fekir links for a second, but...

... if he really is available for €15m and some ticket money from a friendly (as if there's a snowballs chance in hell that's part of any deal) then we'd be mad not to.

Unless his knee has been patched up with chicken wire and haribo, he's too good to not to take the chance on. The risk is the same as last year but the consequence significantly reduced at that price. And the laptop avengers must have crunched the numbers on him and given the deal a thumbs up at whatever the figure was last year.

Question is, having bailed on him at the last minute last summer, would he still be keen?
This latest report is €50m. The 15 i think is just a misunderstanding.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Deligt apparently offered 340k pounds weekly wage by PSG and 'waiting to see if anyone matches'. So he's definitely not coming. I'd been happy to sell Lovren previously but even for 25m not sure who we'd get to replace him (is Toby from Tottenham prepared to play 4th choice and would he suit?). I would now prefer to keep Dejan unless we've got a top quality replacement lined up. Leaving on a free in 2 years when Hoever is ready to take his place isn't a bad swap for 25m in the current market sadly.

Flobs

FADA
Sounds more like it but hasn't he only got a year left on his contract?

Also, I didn't believe it at €15m and I don't believe it at €50m either.
I think lots of wires are getting crossed.
I can not believe the 15m at all. I can believe that Lyons hopes are for 50m like last years agreed fee however cn not imagine they wouldn't drop (to perhaps 35m 30m?). There are no rumors of Fékir negociating a new contract (or are there?) and so Lyon must sell.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Can AC Milan even afford a £25m transfer? I’m sure I remember hearing about them being in a bit of a mess with FFP, potentially having to sell Suso to raise funds and something to do with their Europa League participation being in doubt for next season.
They could.

It will be 25 payments of 1mil per year and split inti 10 payments of 100k per month and with the first 3 payments per year in unlimited espressos and the last 3 payments per year with unlimited entrance to the Duomo, during off peak hours. From 8pm to midnight. Once a month.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Deligt apparently offered 340k pounds weekly wage by PSG and 'waiting to see if anyone matches'. So he's definitely not coming. I'd been happy to sell Lovren previously but even for 25m not sure who we'd get to replace him (is Toby from Tottenham prepared to play 4th choice and would he suit?). I would now prefer to keep Dejan unless we've got a top quality replacement lined up. Leaving on a free in 2 years when Hoever is ready to take his place isn't a bad swap for 25m in the current market sadly.
Need to be somewhat careful given who his agent is. No doubt his agent is “leaking” artificially high numbers.

Saw an interview with him yesterday. He was explicit in stating he will not be making a decision based on money. He came across somewhat concerned about the pressure that brings.

He said he had been talking to Gini and also De Jong. He was going on holiday and going to make a decision when back.

He was clear that he would not be rushed and he wants to find s club that is a good fit for him.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
They, especially Tarkowski (who plays as LCB), are supposed to be a VVD sub. They are good enough to start in a number of league and domestic cup matches, or even certain CL group stage matches.
As we are now the champions of Europe and a club going places we are now an extremely attractive proposition for all players. We're shopping in Harrods these days, not Lidl. We should to be aiming for the top players to improve us.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I hear the American owners at Palace want their money back plus a profit so are looking to sell in the summer. Expect a big clear out of players to reduce the wage bill as Palace made a £36m loss last year. Zaha probably top of the for sale list. I can see him as a great impact sub coming on for Mane for the last 20 minutes when defenders are tired.

nikz200

We should leave the Centre back rotation alone, it doesn't need meddling. If Lovren is willing to compete for his place , i would say keep him and focus on other areas. And i would buy Fekir right now at the current price he is touted for.

Gazmaninaus

So now we have a reliable French journalist claiming we’re back in for Fekir. Just like the last reliable journalist who said we had a deal for Pepe. Then the lad from Portugal. Plus others already this transfer window. So I ponder this question. Is there such thing as a reliable journalist. I’d suggest they are as reliable as football agents.

scouseheadross

Septical
If you haven't seen it yet, here's a good BBC read on the age of some PL squads, suggesting where transfers need to fill gaps and clubs strategies. LFC look very well set:

Flobs

FADA
So now we have a reliable French journalist claiming we’re back in for Fekir. Just like the last reliable journalist who said we had a deal for Pepe. Then the lad from Portugal. Plus others already this transfer window. So I ponder this question. Is there such thing as a reliable journalist. I’d suggest they are as reliable as football agents.
What reliable French journalist?
I thought I'd explained where this had come from! :tongue:

Flobs

FADA
If you haven't seen it yet, here's a good BBC read on the age of some PL squads, suggesting where transfers need to fill gaps and clubs strategies. LFC look very well set:

So if we include TAA and Milner we have a starting 11 if we play a 343?

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
I've read in a couple of places now that we are interested in Moussa Morega of Porto. Can't really see how this might be true. We already have a big strong direct player in Origi to fill in for Bobby , and , if memory serves , this guy had half a dozen chances against us and didn't come close to bagging one.

Sweeting

Also clearly shows why Lovren is potentially available - he is borderline into the top left segment which is where you don't want to be.

scouseheadross

Septical
So if we include TAA and Milner we have a starting 11 if we play a 343?
It's based on minutes played in the season - on the bottom axis. Facts, not some journos fantasy team!

As Sweeting says, really makes it obvious why Lovren is likely to be replaced by a younger model. The club's transfer strategy at a glance. Take the time to look at the full article as the other clubs featured are a mess in comparison.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
As we are now the champions of Europe and a club going places we are now an extremely attractive proposition for all players. We're shopping in Harrods these days, not Lidl. We should to be aiming for the top players to improve us.
You mean top players like Robertson from Hull, Van Dijk and Mané from Southampton, Wijnaldum from Newcastle, Firmino from Hoffenheim?

That sort of thing?

Last edited:

Red over the water

It was a good article in the Beeb. The graphic laid it out nice and clear, and we are in a very good position, with the bulk of our squad in peak years, and even at the start of peak years, and some very good first team lads already in the side but who aren’t near their peak years yet.

I would expect us to buy more players for the bottom section, and/or bring them through, as well as perhaps one or two peak age players to compete right now. We are a well managed club and long may it continue.

melbournered

So practically all of our first eleven are at their peak. I wonder though, what the strategy is (if not for this window), for securing quality talent aged from say 21-24, to continue our terrific progress.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
It's based on minutes played in the season - on the bottom axis. Facts, not some journos fantasy team!

As Sweeting says, really makes it obvious why Lovren is likely to be replaced by a younger model. The club's transfer strategy at a glance. Take the time to look at the full article as the other clubs featured are a mess in comparison.
On the flipside, he played 985' of 1710' or 57.6% of available minutes when not injured - this is itself underplaying it because he had a number of injuries through the season which always require a lead-in time to getting full minutes...usually at least a match warming the bench. But even that 57% is a sign he is still valued highly by the manager.

Matip on the other hand played 54.9% of the minutes available to him when not injured.

You may see what I am doing here. Statistics can be used in any way to support one's argument, or reject someone else's. I personally think its exceedingly unfair to suggest Lovren is not rated by Klopp. You only need to look at how he achieved those minutes as well. Had the pelvis injury, then came back in after 1 game on the bench, played 3 full 90 minute games, must have had a minor injury because he didnt even make the squad against Arsenal, then on the bench vs Fulham (clearly eased back into it) then full 90 minutes against Watford, then again not even in the squad for 3 straight games before playing 5 90 minute games on the bounce. Nobody goes in and out of the team during a period of injury and gets full 90 minutes when available if they aren't in the manager's plans. The constant talk about Degsy being 4th choice is laughable. Not to the manager he isn't.

Now to the injury record. Thats a different story. He had a few soft tissue injuries this season gone. And my above stats dont take into account his injuries. Its fair for all fans to question, at his age, whether this injury pattern will continue and whether we get rid now when his market value is still good. If the answer is to sell, then I'm afraid it's madness to consider signing a replacement to play as 4th choice, because Lovren isn't 4th choice.

I don't disagree that his injuries are a concern for me (like Gomez's considering his age), but the evidence strictly from game time strongly suggest he is valued by the manager when he's available.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
You mean top players like Robertson from Hull, Van Dijk and Mané from Southampton, Wijnaldum from Newcastle, Firmino from Hoffenheim?

That sort of thing?
Yep, and all have turned out to be diamonds.If we can keep finding them all's good.