• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

StevieJayUSA

That isn’t what Maddox said. He said Aouer (plucking the player out as a hypothetical) was a player on everyone’s radar, and Liverpool would probably have an interest in the player if he was available. He also said he thought Lyon wouldn’t sell this summer.

The ‘two players’ this was an opinion, not a statement of fact.

I think the interview is available just up this thread.

That’s my James Pearce thing done for this evening.
Shame, as Aouar is my personal pet hope for a transfer. Got to see a bit of him last couple seasons on tele here in the States, and he looks a Klopp player to my eye. Always puts in a 100% effort shift, and has good bit of the playmaker in him. Think he could be that link to the front three. And, he’s just 20.

StevieJayUSA

It’s a fair comment about the deference shown to Messi inhibiting other players, or at least reducing what they might have otherwise been able to do. In a lesser way, they struggle with that at Spurs with Kane. When he was injured there was pace and movement, and they looked better. When he plays, too much seems to go through him and it’s all a bit more ponderous. We will never know, but I think they would have been a lot more dangerous to us in the CL final with Kane on the bench.
I’d also say the same dynamic has hindered Dybala this past season with Ronaldo joining the squad. If no Aouar, Dybala would be a nice secondary prize.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I’d also say the same dynamic has hindered Dybala this past season with Ronaldo joining the squad. If no Aouar, Dybala would be a nice secondary prize.
Yeah, you're right, Dybala knows where the goal is. He would be a good acquisition.

D Fred

Let’s be honest here. He is struggling to get into a team we just smacked 4 shite and we have fans happy to pay 90+ million. Give me a break. He may be a talent but so was Ballotelli and look how that worked out. Barca don’t sell their top draw players they try and recoup their loss on mistakes.
Is this a joke? Honestly, I genuinely can't tell whether you are being serious or not.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Unreliably linked with Koulibaly.

£110m? Not happening in my book.
You're right in saying it won't happen. Jürgen has proved he's willing to spend 60 to 70 million on a top player, but I can't see him sanctioning 100 million or more on a single player. I would say that's another reason why Mbappe won't be coming to us any time soon.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Not sure if I could compare McCarthy with Mignolet now but I remember his performance against Liverpool for Reading, I think it was in Rodgers' first season. I expected him to have a better career but I guess he was just another one in the long line of goalies who played blinders against Liverpool over the course of two or three years back then. That said, Liverpool are likely to make a profit on Mignolet, so McCarthy would probably come cheap (and probably help the homegrown quota if I'm not mistaken).

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Not sure if I could compare McCarthy with Mignolet now but I remember his performance against Liverpool for Reading, I think it was in Rodgers' first season. I expected him to have a better career but I guess he was just another one in the long line of goalies who played blinders against Liverpool over the course of two or three years back then. That said, Liverpool are likely to make a profit on Mignolet, so McCarthy would probably come cheap (and probably help the homegrown quota if I'm not mistaken).
Also someone we've been linked with repeatedly over the years. All things being equal I would prefer to keep Mignolet but McCarthy's not totally shite. Cannot remember what he's like with the ball at his feet though.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Also someone we've been linked with repeatedly over the years. All things being equal I would prefer to keep Mignolet but McCarthy's not totally shite. Cannot remember what he's like with the ball at his feet though.
True that, I don't know about the credibility of the links but his names does seem to pop up with regards to Liverpool from time to time. Not sure about his ability with the ball but I'd be surprised if that was his forte, bar Reina, I can't recall many from that period who were known to play the ball - or I'm being very forgetful.

soberphobia

Let’s be honest here. He is struggling to get into a team we just smacked 4 shite and we have fans happy to pay 90+ million. Give me a break. He may be a talent but so was Ballotelli and look how that worked out. Barca don’t sell their top draw players they try and recoup their loss on mistakes.
Respect your opinion but if it is possible to have a 180 degree view of a situation then that is where we stand. O.Dembele is not only a special talent he is also a perfect fit for us in his style of play. The other side of the coin is we are a perfect fit for him. Not only are we now a major player we also have a manager who has a long history of improving just about all of the players he has coached.

If you were a young elite talent who has stagnated a bit. Which manager in world football would you want to coach you? Its not my money and an asking price is only the first point of negotiation anyway. If the Griezman and Neymar deals are to happen then Barca are going to need some serious coin. Stands to reason 2 attackers in then a big money attacker out is on the cards.

He is the most perfect signing to add depth and genuinely challenge for a starting position in the front 3.

nikz200

I am in two minds about Dembele. I feel that he is a supremely talented player who has his issues but with what our squad currently is, we don't really have to depend on him too much. And i also think if anyone can get through to this kid its Jurgen. Remember we were one of the clubs initially linked with him before he joined Dortmund back then.

The other side of it is , his discipline issues, erratic behaviour and etc. Plus why is he more deserving than someone like FEkir or some other player who have shown determination and grit to be where they are. kLopp likes those character players who show work ethic and enthusiasm in training, something i think Dembele might not have, or has not been in a situation which suits him yet.

For now i say just make this move happen, you can never have too much firepower up front anyway.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Dembele would be a mad signing. I have full faith that klopp can make him world class.
Just imagine our attacking options, my God, teams would be pissing, and we would get healthy rotation for our front 3.
Add origi, Brewster and Wilson and that's a lovely frontline option we got.
Not sure if both Origi and Brewster would stay if we got Dembele. I feel that one of them might decide that their first team opportunities would be even more limited if we bought and might choose to get more time on the pitch elsewhere.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Not sure if both Origi and Brewster would stay if we got Dembele. I feel that one of them might decide that their first team opportunities would be even more limited if we bought and might choose to get more time on the pitch elsewhere.
I dont see Brewster leaving in that scenario, he will get game time this year, the club really believe in him and he plays mainly central, whereas Dembele would presumably be coming largely to play . Origi might see less game time, but with the additional games, i'm not so sure of that either. can Dembele play right flank? IF so it might be Shaqiri who misses out

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Feel like I should have it on copy and paste but we'll have plenty of games next season. Another summer of games for our front three who we are playing into the ground. Ideally we don't want them 3 starting more than 40 games next season. Add a new signing who, with Klopp in charge, will probably get a bit of a bedding in period so probably won't start more than 35 games. That's 155 starts covered and might sound a lot but we will probably play around 65 games meaning around 195 starts to share around. As it is I think we will struggle to cope as It'd mean either our front three being played into the ground for a third (and more challenging) season on a trot and/or Brewster, Origi, Shaqiri and maybe Wilson covering up to 75 starts between them. Keep in mind Alexander-Arnold (turned out to be the real deal) only made 7 starts his first professional season. If Brewster makes more than 15 starts it'll probably not be by Klopps choice.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From the Echo re: McCarthy ...
We reported earlier today that Liverpool will not be making a move for reported transfer target and current Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.
However, the shot-stopper is reportedly open to entertaining any Reds interest this summer should all the pieces for a switch to Anfield fall into place, according to the Evening Standard.
The 29-year-old is attracting a host of clubs after losing his starting place in the Saints XI under Ralph Hasenhuttl to Angus Gunn.
It is understandable and easy to see why he would be interested in switching to Liverpool - due to already playing second fiddle but the ECHO understands his name has not been discussed by the current management team.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Feel like I should have it on copy and paste but we'll have plenty of games next season. Another summer of games for our front three who we are playing into the ground. Ideally we don't want them 3 starting more than 40 games next season. Add a new signing who, with Klopp in charge, will probably get a bit of a bedding in period so probably won't start more than 35 games. That's 155 starts covered and might sound a lot but we will probably play around 65 games meaning around 195 starts to share around. As it is I think we will struggle to cope as It'd mean either our front three being played into the ground for a third (and more challenging) season on a trot and/or Brewster, Origi, Shaqiri and maybe Wilson covering up to 75 starts between them. Keep in mind Alexander-Arnold (turned out to be the real deal) only made 7 starts his first professional season. If Brewster makes more than 15 starts it'll probably not be by Klopps choice.
No offence but I thought you might pounce on that. Yes, we will have a lot of games to play next season but I was trying to see it from Origi and Brewster's point of view which may be that such a high profile new striker would reduce their already limited chances of minutes in the first team and they, or one of them, may therefore decide to ply their trade elsewhere. They may not see things in the same way that you do.

It seems that Brewster has been made promises and if we spend 90 million on a striker then he might think that those promises have not been kept.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
No offence but I thought you might pounce on that. Yes, we will have a lot of games to play next season but I was trying to see it from Origi and Brewster's point of view which may be that such a high profile new striker would reduce their already limited chances of minutes in the first team and they, or one of them, may therefore decide to ply their trade elsewhere. They may not see things in the same way that you do.

It seems that Brewster has been made promises and if we spend 90 million on a striker then he might think that those promises have not been kept.
Dembele doesnt have to play centrally - i dont think anyone here has suggested he should. Brewster only plays, as faar as i am aware, in the centre - so it isnt him that is likely to see reduced playing time - unless Origi is chosen ahead of him down the middle, and i dont see that happening too often now that Brewster is fit.

SadiosMio

Dembele doesnt have to play centrally - i dont think anyone here has suggested he should. Brewster only plays, as faar as i am aware, in the centre - so it isnt him that is likely to see reduced playing time - unless Origi is chosen ahead of him down the middle, and i dont see that happening too often now that Brewster is fit.
Would need to be an emergency for dembele to be needed centrally in basically any formation. Firmino, Salah, Mane, Origi, Brewster.

I don't imagine anything will happen with this until Jurgen can have a long conversation with the lad and try to gauge where his head is and what he's taken from his experience in Barcelona. I do think he'll be very keen to have that conversation though. I think you could tell in the one press conference where he perked up at the suggestion of dembele being available that he rates the kid highly.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
So we might still end up with one in and one out, but if that one is Origi then I wouldn't be too bothered. Wouldn't be bothered at all, in fact.

BTW I see that Neymar is now openly saying that he wants to go back to Barca. Mmm ....would seem that the game's afoot, so to speak.

SadiosMio

So we might still end up with one in and one out, but if that one is Origi then I wouldn't be too bothered. Wouldn't be bothered at all, in fact.

BTW I see that Neymar is now openly saying that he wants to go back to Barca. Mmm ....would seem that the game's afoot, so to speak.
Sending along griezmann to psg and selling dembele would just about cover Neymar's fee.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
A problem we have this summer is that our reputation precedes us. There is no club better at identifying talent and unlocking unrecognised potential.

So if you are a football agent who wants to simultaneously spark some interest in your player, while at the same time suggest they are better than they actually are, Liverpool are the obvious name to spuriously link them to.