• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Not sure if both Origi and Brewster would stay if we got Dembele. I feel that one of them might decide that their first team opportunities would be even more limited if we bought and might choose to get more time on the pitch elsewhere.
I dont see Brewster leaving in that scenario, he will get game time this year, the club really believe in him and he plays mainly central, whereas Dembele would presumably be coming largely to play . Origi might see less game time, but with the additional games, i'm not so sure of that either. can Dembele play right flank? IF so it might be Shaqiri who misses out

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not sure if both Origi and Brewster would stay if we got Dembele. I feel that one of them might decide that their first team opportunities would be even more limited if we bought and might choose to get more time on the pitch elsewhere.
Feel like I should have it on copy and paste but we'll have plenty of games next season. Another summer of games for our front three who we are playing into the ground. Ideally we don't want them 3 starting more than 40 games next season. Add a new signing who, with Klopp in charge, will probably get a bit of a bedding in period so probably won't start more than 35 games. That's 155 starts covered and might sound a lot but we will probably play around 65 games meaning around 195 starts to share around. As it is I think we will struggle to cope as It'd mean either our front three being played into the ground for a third (and more challenging) season on a trot and/or Brewster, Origi, Shaqiri and maybe Wilson covering up to 75 starts between them. Keep in mind Alexander-Arnold (turned out to be the real deal) only made 7 starts his first professional season. If Brewster makes more than 15 starts it'll probably not be by Klopps choice.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From the Echo re: McCarthy ...
We reported earlier today that Liverpool will not be making a move for reported transfer target and current Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.
However, the shot-stopper is reportedly open to entertaining any Reds interest this summer should all the pieces for a switch to Anfield fall into place, according to the Evening Standard.
The 29-year-old is attracting a host of clubs after losing his starting place in the Saints XI under Ralph Hasenhuttl to Angus Gunn.
It is understandable and easy to see why he would be interested in switching to Liverpool - due to already playing second fiddle but the ECHO understands his name has not been discussed by the current management team.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Feel like I should have it on copy and paste but we'll have plenty of games next season. Another summer of games for our front three who we are playing into the ground. Ideally we don't want them 3 starting more than 40 games next season. Add a new signing who, with Klopp in charge, will probably get a bit of a bedding in period so probably won't start more than 35 games. That's 155 starts covered and might sound a lot but we will probably play around 65 games meaning around 195 starts to share around. As it is I think we will struggle to cope as It'd mean either our front three being played into the ground for a third (and more challenging) season on a trot and/or Brewster, Origi, Shaqiri and maybe Wilson covering up to 75 starts between them. Keep in mind Alexander-Arnold (turned out to be the real deal) only made 7 starts his first professional season. If Brewster makes more than 15 starts it'll probably not be by Klopps choice.
No offence but I thought you might pounce on that. Yes, we will have a lot of games to play next season but I was trying to see it from Origi and Brewster's point of view which may be that such a high profile new striker would reduce their already limited chances of minutes in the first team and they, or one of them, may therefore decide to ply their trade elsewhere. They may not see things in the same way that you do.

It seems that Brewster has been made promises and if we spend 90 million on a striker then he might think that those promises have not been kept.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
No offence but I thought you might pounce on that. Yes, we will have a lot of games to play next season but I was trying to see it from Origi and Brewster's point of view which may be that such a high profile new striker would reduce their already limited chances of minutes in the first team and they, or one of them, may therefore decide to ply their trade elsewhere. They may not see things in the same way that you do.

It seems that Brewster has been made promises and if we spend 90 million on a striker then he might think that those promises have not been kept.
Dembele doesnt have to play centrally - i dont think anyone here has suggested he should. Brewster only plays, as faar as i am aware, in the centre - so it isnt him that is likely to see reduced playing time - unless Origi is chosen ahead of him down the middle, and i dont see that happening too often now that Brewster is fit.

SadiosMio

Dembele doesnt have to play centrally - i dont think anyone here has suggested he should. Brewster only plays, as faar as i am aware, in the centre - so it isnt him that is likely to see reduced playing time - unless Origi is chosen ahead of him down the middle, and i dont see that happening too often now that Brewster is fit.
Would need to be an emergency for dembele to be needed centrally in basically any formation. Firmino, Salah, Mane, Origi, Brewster.

I don't imagine anything will happen with this until Jurgen can have a long conversation with the lad and try to gauge where his head is and what he's taken from his experience in Barcelona. I do think he'll be very keen to have that conversation though. I think you could tell in the one press conference where he perked up at the suggestion of dembele being available that he rates the kid highly.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
So we might still end up with one in and one out, but if that one is Origi then I wouldn't be too bothered. Wouldn't be bothered at all, in fact.

BTW I see that Neymar is now openly saying that he wants to go back to Barca. Mmm ....would seem that the game's afoot, so to speak.

SadiosMio

So we might still end up with one in and one out, but if that one is Origi then I wouldn't be too bothered. Wouldn't be bothered at all, in fact.

BTW I see that Neymar is now openly saying that he wants to go back to Barca. Mmm ....would seem that the game's afoot, so to speak.
Sending along griezmann to psg and selling dembele would just about cover Neymar's fee.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
A problem we have this summer is that our reputation precedes us. There is no club better at identifying talent and unlocking unrecognised potential.

So if you are a football agent who wants to simultaneously spark some interest in your player, while at the same time suggest they are better than they actually are, Liverpool are the obvious name to spuriously link them to.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
A problem we have this summer is that our reputation precedes us. There is no club better at identifying talent and unlocking unrecognised potential.

So if you are a football agent who wants to simultaneously spark some interest in your player, while at the same time suggest they are better than they actually are, Liverpool are the obvious name to spuriously link them to.
The more things change the more they stay the same. To be honest though there's been a dearth of even spurious links to players this summer compared with previous windows. There's been a few obviously, but I think the fact a Mbappe thread opened just to give us something to talk and get a little bit excited about on the basis of basically nothing speaks volumes about how quiet it's been.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I just think Dembele doesn't tick enough boxes. Overpriced, overpaid, questionable attitude.
Talented and high potential, but at the prices touted it's too much especially as I don't seem him 'happily' going along with Klopp's phased intro (if needed) that Robertson and Fabinho endured and passed with flying colours.

Ultimately if Klopp signs off on him, then I trust his judgement, but I don't see him as an actual viable option for us at this point.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

The Neymar rumour has been floating around for a couple of months. He appears to have fallen out with the manager at PSG and probably doesnt see a move to Real Madrid being on the cards (despite their rebuild this summer, his name hasnt been mentioned once in connection with going there as far as i can see).

Not sure i can see a scenario in Barca paying for him though - they dont have the cash for the other players they want, so even selling players isnt going to work.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
I think that horrible little fucker Neymar is stuck at PSG whether he likes it or not. Who in their right minds would be willing to pay the fee and wages his signiature would demand knowing they are getting a half-arsed prima donna who would most likely cause resentment amongst his new team mates. If you had to pick one player who personifies evrything that is wrong with the modern footballer then he would be it.

Danny_

I think that horrible little fucker Neymar is stuck at PSG whether he likes it or not. Who in their right minds would be willing to pay the fee and wages his signiature would demand knowing they are getting a half-arsed prima donna who would most likely cause resentment amongst his new team mates. If you had to pick one player who personifies evrything that is wrong with the modern footballer then he would be it.
I don't know. It seems like the type of player United might want

Zinedine Biscan

The Neymar rumour has been floating around for a couple of months. He appears to have fallen out with the manager at PSG and probably doesnt see a move to Real Madrid being on the cards (despite their rebuild this summer, his name hasnt been mentioned once in connection with going there as far as i can see).

Not sure i can see a scenario in Barca paying for him though - they dont have the cash for the other players they want, so even selling players isnt going to work.
Barca seem to have players they don't want and PSG have a player who wants to leave - straight swap Coutinho & Dembele for Neymar? In terms of the fees of all those recent moves they're practically equal.

Foldy

Barca seem to have players they don't want and PSG have a player who wants to leave - straight swap Coutinho & Dembele for Neymar? In terms of the fees of all those recent moves they're practically equal.
Coutinho would just be a bench warmer at PSG, then again same job just different location.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Cuts both ways though.

Once a player is alerted to us, and wants in, then it’s really just a one horse race again and we have a bit of power.

Every situation obviously gets played in its own right, but I’m tipping there’s a host of talent available to us now that we can hunt a situation that is favourable

For every Allison and VVD there’s a Robertson and shakiri

Zinedine Biscan

Who's going to sell that deal to psg? Neymar for all his faults is supremely talented and probably worth the fee paid. Both Dembele and Coutinho were massive fees and haven't lived up to them. Could argue £70m each is about right. Dunno, it'll ultimately come down to player power.

.....could see Utd picking up Cavani if Neymar stays at psg. That would piss me off!
I thought that sounded like a pretty fair deal tbh, you have to factor in that their player wants out. It also sounds like their owners are starting to lose interest after failing to make any impact yet in the CL, so you never know.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That might finance the Neymar deal, but arent they trying to offload those two players to get De Ligt and another guy in already? Not sure if Coutinho would want to go to PSG if Neymar is returning, they are supposed to be close friends. Furthermore, i would have thought Tuchel wouldnt want Dembele around either as the latter's misbehaviour at Dortmund happened on his watch i think.

I dont know if Coutinho would be the sort of player PSG would be looking for either. I know little about their squad, but arent they lacking in the midfield area? Having both Dembele and Coutimho come in would be overkill for the forward line probably and not do enough for the midfield.

Foldy

Plus a fat signing on fee! Cha-ching!

To be honest I've no idea about what their current team looks like, find it hard to imagine he wouldn't get a game in Ligue Un.
Any player going there says everything about them as a person. Joke of a league, they're a laughing stock in the CL after getting beaten by Utd. Just a group of egos never a team. No heart, no soul and no desire...reminds me of a certain club in the Prem. :think:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Sending along griezmann to psg and selling dembele would just about cover Neymar's fee.
Yeah, I also read that article suggesting that Barca might do that, but they haven't actually bought the guy yet and then there's this so they may not be buying him at all. He might move directly to PSG and if Barca then sell Coutinho and Dembele that should finance them buying Neymar, if they actually want him.

EDIT: I know what I'm saying sounds the same as what @redfanman said above, but in my scenario Barca sell Dembele to us not PSG. Which might work for them - Coutinho might be a good provider for Griezman.

Zinedine Biscan

That might finance the Neymar deal, but arent they trying to offload those two players to get De Ligt and another guy in already? Not sure if Coutinho would want to go to PSG if Neymar is returning, they are supposed to be close friends. Furthermore, i would have thought Tuchel wouldnt want Dembele around either as the latter's misbehaviour at Dortmund happened on his watch i think.

I dont know if Coutinho would be the sort of player PSG would be looking for either. I know little about their squad, but arent they lacking in the midfield area? Having both Dembele and Coutimho come in would be overkill for the forward line probably and not do enough for the midfield.
So you're saying there's a chance?

Limiescouse

I thought that sounded like a pretty fair deal tbh, you have to factor in that their player wants out. It also sounds like their owners are starting to lose interest after failing to make any impact yet in the CL, so you never know.
They are also trying to do a bit of a cleaning up process. Henrique has gone and been replaced by Leonardo (who they never really wanted to let go anyway) and he has come in with the explicit mandate of making personnel changes necessary to "fix" the bad attitude at the club. Moving on Neymar definitely fits the bill, but I'm not sure Dembele does, especially given he has previous with Tuchel. But, if they are brinigng Rabio back into the fold now Henrique has gone, maybe they are offering a clean slate for those willing to embrace the new culture.