• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Barca seem to have players they don't want and PSG have a player who wants to leave - straight swap Coutinho & Dembele for Neymar? In terms of the fees of all those recent moves they're practically equal.
That might finance the Neymar deal, but arent they trying to offload those two players to get De Ligt and another guy in already? Not sure if Coutinho would want to go to PSG if Neymar is returning, they are supposed to be close friends. Furthermore, i would have thought Tuchel wouldnt want Dembele around either as the latter's misbehaviour at Dortmund happened on his watch i think.

I dont know if Coutinho would be the sort of player PSG would be looking for either. I know little about their squad, but arent they lacking in the midfield area? Having both Dembele and Coutimho come in would be overkill for the forward line probably and not do enough for the midfield.

Foldy

Plus a fat signing on fee! Cha-ching!

To be honest I've no idea about what their current team looks like, find it hard to imagine he wouldn't get a game in Ligue Un.
Any player going there says everything about them as a person. Joke of a league, they're a laughing stock in the CL after getting beaten by Utd. Just a group of egos never a team. No heart, no soul and no desire...reminds me of a certain club in the Prem. :think:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Sending along griezmann to psg and selling dembele would just about cover Neymar's fee.
Yeah, I also read that article suggesting that Barca might do that, but they haven't actually bought the guy yet and then there's this so they may not be buying him at all. He might move directly to PSG and if Barca then sell Coutinho and Dembele that should finance them buying Neymar, if they actually want him.

EDIT: I know what I'm saying sounds the same as what @redfanman said above, but in my scenario Barca sell Dembele to us not PSG. Which might work for them - Coutinho might be a good provider for Griezman.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
That might finance the Neymar deal, but arent they trying to offload those two players to get De Ligt and another guy in already? Not sure if Coutinho would want to go to PSG if Neymar is returning, they are supposed to be close friends. Furthermore, i would have thought Tuchel wouldnt want Dembele around either as the latter's misbehaviour at Dortmund happened on his watch i think.

I dont know if Coutinho would be the sort of player PSG would be looking for either. I know little about their squad, but arent they lacking in the midfield area? Having both Dembele and Coutimho come in would be overkill for the forward line probably and not do enough for the midfield.
So you're saying there's a chance?

Limiescouse

I thought that sounded like a pretty fair deal tbh, you have to factor in that their player wants out. It also sounds like their owners are starting to lose interest after failing to make any impact yet in the CL, so you never know.
They are also trying to do a bit of a cleaning up process. Henrique has gone and been replaced by Leonardo (who they never really wanted to let go anyway) and he has come in with the explicit mandate of making personnel changes necessary to "fix" the bad attitude at the club. Moving on Neymar definitely fits the bill, but I'm not sure Dembele does, especially given he has previous with Tuchel. But, if they are brinigng Rabio back into the fold now Henrique has gone, maybe they are offering a clean slate for those willing to embrace the new culture.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Bit off topic but it's been pretty quiet across every PL team so far hasn't it? Chelsea have their ban but no movement yet from Spurs or City and Utd have done minimal business despite a massive rebuild being needed.

I guess it's a month until our US tour kicks off when you'd want players in by but seems awfully quiet across the board.
Yeah, Premier league has been bafflingly quiet when you consider how much business has been taking place in Spain and Germany for example.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
We all remember this, right?

:rolleyes: Yes, everyone kept bringing it up when we were rumoured to be in for a loan deal last summer and unsuprisingly that never materialised.

I dunno. I just don't get how "we" can laugh so loud and so long at United spunking £90m and £200k+ wages on Pogba (high potential, poor attiude) and then when there's a chance we might end up doing the same thing, everyone is having a circle jerk over it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
:rolleyes: Yes, everyone kept bringing it up when we were rumoured to be in for a loan deal last summer and unsuprisingly that never materialised.

I dunno. I just don't get how "we" can laugh so loud and so long at United spunking £90m and £200k+ wages on Pogba (high potential, poor attiude) and then when there's a chance we might end up doing the same thing, everyone is having a circle jerk over it.
United let Pogba go for buttons very shortly before because they didn't rate him good enough for playing time. He went to Juve and played from day 1 at superstar levels. Eventually United and others came circling. United where nowhere near the front of the queue so outbid everyone else by 30 million to scare them all off and agreed a ridiculous fee to make him "forgive" them. At the time he was the most expensive player ever. It's not even that certain United really needed a CM. It was funny.

Dembele has already been bought by one of the best teams on the planet for more than this deal would be. He actually hasn't been bad and if there was actually any long term planning and thinking going on at Barca then he probably wouldn't be for sale at all. There are several deals bigger than this and several more may happen this summer. We also didn't bin him off by previously not realising how good he was and not play him. He's also a 100% match to our biggest sporting need on the pitch when it comes to the squad.

By the flimsiest of flimsy comparisons you can say they are/were both young, talented, prospects with rumoured bad attitudes.

rab

Bit off topic but it's been pretty quiet across every PL team so far hasn't it? Chelsea have their ban but no movement yet from Spurs or City and Utd have done minimal business despite a massive rebuild being needed.

I guess it's a month until our US tour kicks off when you'd want players in by but seems awfully quiet across the board.
I was thinking this. There are some big pieces to move that I think will see the damn burst and get everything moving. Seems to be warming up now post Real's trolley dash.

In addition, there's an U21's tournament, Copa America and African Cup of Nations going on. Whilst it's not impossible for players involved in these to move mid-tournament, I think it's more likely teams will wait until afterwards. There may well be a second wave once these games are done.

On that note, an U21's tournament is exactly the kind of place we might find a gem or up and coming squad player. Thought Fode Ballo-Toure looked decent yesterday against England. Left back, plays in the French league so doubt he'd cost a fortune and his surname is a combination of Ballotelli and Toure so it's clearly written in the stars. A couple of very tenuous and unsubstantiated rumours linking us to him in the past.

Limiescouse

With whom? I cannot tell who you are talking about.

SadiosMio

Yeah, I also read that article suggesting that Barca might do that, but they haven't actually bought the guy yet and then there's this so they may not be buying him at all. He might move directly to PSG and if Barca then sell Coutinho and Dembele that should finance them buying Neymar, if they actually want him.

EDIT: I know what I'm saying sounds the same as what @redfanman said above, but in my scenario Barca sell Dembele to us not PSG. Which might work for them - Coutinho might be a good provider for Griezman.
Send him on, one way or another, then. Think Barcelona is trying to protect themselves against tapping up charges/being liable for a larger fee by claiming there's been no contact with the player. But no doubt there has been with representatives or go-betweens.

So either the Neymar development causes them to not spend on griezmann when they likely would have, or they honor an agreement and then "loan" to psg with buy obligation.

Of course psg may just go and buy griezmann and go for dembele as compensation in Neymar deal, that is if the player wants to sign. Always depends on that.

I'm also wondering where this leaves a potential offload of Coutinho. Surely Barca wouldn't just go with Malcom as backup attacker.

Last edited:

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member

Arent city on verge of breaking their transfer record with Madrid midfielder and buying Juve left back?

SadiosMio

The Standard's David Lynch talking up the Camacho link to Sporting, but continues to assert that there's nothing in links to Bruno Fernandes.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
United let Pogba go for buttons very shortly before because they didn't rate him good enough for playing time. He went to Juve and played from day 1 at superstar levels. Eventually United and others came circling. United where nowhere near the front of the queue so outbid everyone else by 30 million to scare them all off and agreed a ridiculous fee to make him "forgive" them. At the time he was the most expensive player ever. It's not even that certain United really needed a CM. It was funny.

Dembele has already been bought by one of the best teams on the planet for more than this deal would be. He actually hasn't been bad and if there was actually any long term planning and thinking going on at Barca then he probably wouldn't be for sale at all. There are several deals bigger than this and several more may happen this summer. We also didn't bin him off by previously not realising how good he was and not play him. He's also a 100% match to our biggest sporting need on the pitch when it comes to the squad.

By the flimsiest of flimsy comparisons you can say they are/were both young, talented, prospects with rumoured bad attitudes.
Not comparing their circumstamces prior to moving, just the potential prices and potential consequences and pointing out the irony of the situation.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not comparing their circumstamces prior to moving, just the potential prices and potential consequences and pointing out the irony of the situation.
Prices have changed a hell of a lot. Pogba would be the equivalent of £210-250 million at today's prices, he was quite a bit more than the last record. £90 million would probably be the equivalent of £45 million back then. A big signing but nothing like what Pogba was.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Prices have changed a hell of a lot. Pogba would be the equivalent of £210-250 million at today's prices, he was quite a bit more than the last record. £90 million would probably be the equivalent of £45 million back then. A big signing but nothing like what Pogba was.
Oh sorry, I didn't realise £90m was peanuts these days.

Red over the water

I think they were relatively quiet last summer too weren't they? I wonder if this is becoming the new thing.
I wonder if we are seeing a strange phenomenon that with more and more money, the transfer of players from one club to another is actually slowing down a bit for Premier League teams? Sounds counter intuitive, but I'll offer a theory.

Say an upper Prem team wants to buy a mid or lower level Prem player. For example, let's imagine Liverpool want to buy Zaha from Crystal Palace. Well, back in the day we'd make an offer, and do the deal. We would slightly overpay, but basically our interests would prevail, and the smaller team would lick their wounds, accept their status in life, and then have a few bob to spend in the market themselves.

While that sort of thing still obviously happens, I'm wondering if we are seeing a slowing down because the smaller and mid sized Prem teams are rich themselves? Their new found riches enable them to stave off the bigger clubs, not completely, but they can definitley give them pause for thought. So in the same example, Liverpool enquire about Zaha, and Crystal Palace say, "That will be 100M please." We see the player, we think he can do a job as a rotating option for our wide forwards, but at that price we simply won't act.

While that is hypothetical, as we aren't in for Zaha, the same sort of phenomenon is playing out this summer, for example with Man City or Man Utd, who might be interested in Harry Maguire, and Leicester want 80M or something stupid like that.

You can take this principle and apply it beyond the Premier League. Let's imagine we are after play X, let's say in the Eredivisie. I dunno, Bergwijn, someone like that. And let's imagine 30M is the right price for that deal, but when it emerges that it is Liverpool who have an interest in the player, all of a sudden the price might be 50-60M.

I think overall the football transfer market is still coming to terms with the money swashing around in the Premier League. And these days even mid ranking Premier League clubs have the financial muscle to make waves in the transfer market and potentially upset bigger clubs on the continent. All this is to say that's why I think we aren't seeing as much transfer activity as we might expect.

Other reasons for the relative lack of activity might be the usual stuff, such as the domino effect of one or two sizable deals that are yet to happen, and when they do it will encourage all of the sharks to feed at their respective place in the food chain.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Oh sorry, I didn't realise £90m was peanuts these days.
Pogba was about a 10% increase on the maximum paid for a player and set the record. By the end of this summer what we could hypothetically pay for Dembele may not even be in the top ten fees paid. You don't agree that that's a bit different then fine.

Edit; I also described it as a big fee not as peanuts.