• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So from the Melissa Reddy article on Twitter;

"Liverpool's idea is to be patient and responsible in the market, allowing them to react if game changers who fill a need become available."

Translation: Liverpool don't plan on buying anyone unless the right target they want comes on the market. Which might not happen in which case they wont sign anyone. But it might in which case they will sign someone.

wibseyred

"Liverpool's idea is to be patient and responsible in the market, allowing them to react if game changers who fill a need become available."

Translation: Liverpool don't plan on buying anyone unless the right target they want comes on the market. Which might not happen in which case they wont sign anyone. But it might in which case they will sign someone.
It translates to sorry I dont have the foggiest what's going on and it's the offseason and it still need to fill column inches. So I'll do something rather vague like I know something because it will get hits.

SadiosMio

I wonder how many players (not counting Messi or some dumb crap like that) actually fit the description of "the right target". 5? 10?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My translation: we might sign Dembele if Barca become desperate and offer us a good deal. From the age perspective he's an ideal moneyball target so I could imagine our interest.

Barca probably hold the key to the merry go round. They must be under pressure to buy given Madrid's overhaul. 'Only' de Jong so far? If they add de Ligt and say Greizman they'll need others to leave. Not too many suitors for Coutinho with Chelsea banned and never for £100m. Dembele maybe their next best asset.

Weird that 'Origi not leaving' is the only news coming out. Sounds a bit like Lovren invaluable and not going for £25m or more.
Yep press release one on Lovren; Are you joking with us? Of course Lovren isn't leaving, why would anyone think that?

Press release two on Lovren; No he is definitely not leaving... well .... unless someone says they'd pay £25 million or more... but no what am I saying? Haha definitely not going anywhere. Why do you ask? I mean is someone interested? Do you think they have £25 million? Just out of interest you understand... just curiosity...but definitely not leaving. No.

Origi seems like press release 1 has been made. Maybe number 2 if he still hasn't extended towards the end of the window or in January?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I wonder how many players (not counting Messi or some dumb crap like that) actually fit the description of "the right target". 5? 10?
If you're talking about to challenge the front 3 I'd say maybe 5(?) could fit what I've convinced myself the template is. But in that template its players 18-24 that are good with potential to be world class so even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo don't even fit. Just interesting that I think Dembele and Mbappe would both fit in that list of 5. All my opinion based on my guesses of what we need and my limited knowledge of the market.

SadiosMio

If you're talking about to challenge the front 3 I'd say maybe 5(?) could fit what I've convinced myself the template is. But in that template its players 18-24 that are good with potential to be world class so even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo don't even fit. Just interesting that I think Dembele and Mbappe would both fit in that list of 5. All my opinion based on my guesses of what we need and my limited knowledge of the market.
I'd agree with your assessment. Add in maybe Havertz, Aouar, and a few others (maybe a kid like Joao Pedro), and yeah, about what I'm thinking. Aside from maybe a developmental LB and a replacement GK. There are guys that would be available for 25-35M that I think could improve the depth, but there's something to be said for keeping powder dry for a big boom when you need it.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
My translation: we might sign Dembele if Barca become desperate and offer us a good deal. From the age perspective he's an ideal moneyball target so I could imagine our interest.

Barca probably hold the key to the merry go round. They must be under pressure to buy given Madrid's overhaul. 'Only' de Jong so far? If they add de Ligt and say Greizman they'll need others to leave. Not too many suitors for Coutinho with Chelsea banned and never for £100m. Dembele maybe their next best asset.

Weird that 'Origi not leaving' is the only news coming out. Sounds a bit like Lovren invaluable and not going for £25m or more.
I dont know if there was ever any serious interest in Lovren. I think the noises out of Italy today are that Milan are looking at someone else now.

GaryBarlow99

Am I being thick but what does this sentence even mean?!

The Reds are expected to have a quiet window beyond additions dependant on departures for squad depth. [Melissa Reddy]

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Am I being thick but what does this sentence even mean?!

The Reds are expected to have a quiet window beyond additions dependant on departures for squad depth. [Melissa Reddy]
Its not a well crafted sentence but i presume it means we are not expecting to sign players unless one of our existing players leave first (so we are looking to replace Moreno and Studge - but no-one else at this time).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Its not a well crafted sentence but i presume it means we are not expecting to sign players unless one of our existing players leave first (so we are looking to replace Moreno and Studge - but no-one else at this time).
I still think Lovren and Mignolet will join that list. I've always thought 4 signings is likely. Two lesser deals, bosman/loan/cheap, for backup goalkeeper (older, experienced, but plays the right way) and a versatile defender who can play WINGBACK on both sides. A star forward to finally compete with/cover for our star front 3. And a CB, star if available, more of a Klavan type if not. Only the Gk back up would be over 24. That's my guesses.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Letting Divock run down his contract doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If he won't sign, sell him and focus instead on adding another forward.

StevenAlonso

I would rather hold onto Clyne if we don't plan to buy anyone to add cover to our wing backs. He was very good before his injury and had a decent spell at Bournemouth.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Mignolet is an interesting one for me.

Its widely accepted that he wants to leave for first team football, and good on him if that happens. Because when I look around I wonder where he will get this first team football...........

Feasibly his scenario is moving to a mid table club or a top club in a smaller league to get minutes, and not a lot else; possibly on a lower wage also
Or he could continue to sit on our bench, get a great wage and maybe another couple of shiny winners medals.

If he chooses to go it will say a lot about him as a person - because I bet there's a bunch in this day and age who wouldn't want to leave for anything......do nothing etc etc

StevenAlonso

I am still not sure why Origi will not sign a contract. He is the only backup we have got for Firmino as Sturridge has left unless we play Salah/Mane upfront with Shaq/Ox to cover the RF/LF.. His playing time will be considerably more as he will definetly get close to 15-20 starts and as a sub in other games considering all competitions we are in.. And if we doesn't sign I would rather sell him for 35 million in this crazy market and get Werner..

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Letting Divock run down his contract doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If he won't sign, sell him and focus instead on adding another forward.
If true what its saying is we are happy having him as back up for the next 12 months - it lets us progress Brewsters development and then if need be gives us another twelve months to identify and sign a suitable replacement.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I am still not sure why Origi will not sign a contract. He is the only backup we have got for Firmino as Sturridge has left unless we play Salah/Mane upfront with Shaq/Ox to cover the RF/LF.. His playing time will be considerably more as he will definetly get close to 15-20 starts and as a sub in other games considering all competitions we are in.. And if we doesn't sign I would rather sell him for 35 million in this crazy market and get Werner..
Brewster, Shaq and Ox may well all be seen ahead of him next season for the front three.....

Klopp has already shown he will happily move Mane and Salah central if needed

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It makes sense to me.
If he doesn’t want to sign it means we get another 12 months of origi and Brewster (hopefully). It also means we don’t buy someone just to replace origi especially if klopp and co don’t feel there is a suitable replacement yet.
Why buy someone on a 3/4 year contract who is only 75% of what klopp wants rather than wait for the perfect fit.
I’m sure klopp has targets in mind but either they are too expensive or simply not available yet. So keep to what we have.
Same principal goes for Clyne. If nobody is available, keep Clyne and have 12 months to find a replacement.

Either way, I won’t hold any grudges against origi for not signing. Like the dudeks and smicers before him, he has earned his right to make his choices.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I am betting that Can is regretting running down his contract, ah, so satisfying when that happens.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I am betting that Can is regretting running down his contract, ah, so satisfying when that happens.
Why, he would have got a nice signing bonus at the time because of no fee. He gets to experience a new country to live and play in. He just won the Serie A title. He's getting a good number of games and gets to play with the likes of Ronaldo, Dybala and co.

SadiosMio

He has to sign a contract somewhere else for a transfer to go through. Seems an increasing number of players are just running their contracts down and then asking for signing bonuses bc the club isn't paying a fee. Also gives Origi another year to raise his value before he does that. Not saying that's what's happening, but it could be and it would explain why the club isn't talking about a transfer.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Why, he would have got a nice signing bonus at the time because of no fee. He gets to experience a new country to live and play in. He just won the Serie A title. He's getting a good number of games and gets to play with the likes of Ronaldo, Dybala and co.

Because he didn't get to win the European Cup with the greatest club in the world obviously.
He doesn't get to play with Salah, Mane, Bobby, Fab, Virgil etc. etc . anymore , and most importantly he doesn't get Klopp hugs now.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
It’s a typical ITK type sentence.

If we sign a forward it’s to replace Sturridge
If we sign a full back it’s to replace Moreno
If we sign a keeper, Mignolet days are numbered
If we sign a CB, Lovren days are numbered

It does nothing more than state the obvious. While adding even greater leeway with her other statements saying that may change if world class players become available.

Drubas

According to the rumors, Barca is interested in selling Coutinho and Dembele to finance Neymar. That means that they're hoping to get quite a lot of money for them. Looking at what Barca payd for them, and looking at their need to raise cash, he will be too expensive. I just don't see how it can happen.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
If we signed Dembele he wouldn't be a starter for me in our strongest XI. He'll be quality rotation for Mane and Salah out wide, which we need. Do we spend ~£90m for that? Not sure. If that's what we'd be looking at for Dembele I'd rather spend similar on Sancho. If we're not going to spend that unless they strengthen our best XI then I'd rather we spend it on Havertz. If we're looking at no more than £50m-£60m for quality rotation out wide then I think Zaha is the best option, followed by Pepe.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
According to the rumors, Barca is interested in selling Coutinho and Dembele to finance Neymar. That means that they're hoping to get quite a lot of money for them. Looking at what Barca payd for them, and looking at their need to raise cash, he will be too expensive. I just don't see how it can happen.
When other clubs smell a firesale they dont usually offer best price. Given Dembele hasnt set the world on fire the last couple of years, most clubs with an interest in him or Coutinho will probably look to get that price down quite a bit. They will only get full price if a club like Utd are desperate to get him.