• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
It’s a really interesting eight minute chat by the way.

The most interesting snippet, which I hadn’t considered, is that as Liverpool’s recruitment has been absolutely bang on for the last few seasons, any move we make for a player is going to prompt the selling club, and others to think they have a belter on their hands and think we’ve spotted something they haven’t.
Sounds similar to the point I made a couple of weeks back

If we show an interest in a player that a club is open to selling does that club start thinking... "wait a minute....what aren't we seeing in this guy...? Maybe we should keep him after all?....Or at least double the price, ffs"

We could become victims of our own success. At least we could try and say we're looking to strengthen the squad rather than add to the first team in an effort to downplay how we might privately rate our targets.

Red over the water

Is it allowed to have a proxy do your bidding?

In other words, seek to establish a fair price with an anonymous lawyer, or other negotiator, acting on behalf of the club. With the price agreed then the negotiation gets more personal with the player, who obviously would want to know who is in for him.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

In other words, seek to establish a fair price with an anonymous lawyer, or other negotiator, acting on behalf of the club. With the price agreed then the negotiation gets more personal with the player, who obviously would want to know who is in for him.
It's happened before, yes.

SadiosMio

Bad news for our Mbappe pursuit with PSG making noises about being open to selling Neymar.

Though to be honest, I don't know who would buy him that he would want to play for.

More hilarious rival rumor: Rashford wants 300k/wk. That Sanchez contract has completely broken them. I don't think selling Pogba, Lukaku, DeGea and Rashford was the summer clear out their fans had in mind lol.

Dave-D

I see Liverpool are keeping Southampton on their toes again. Lull them into a false sense of security by leaving them alone for a season and a half then take their no.2 goalkeeper off them lol

scouseheadross

Septical

Not sure how it'd work. I'm guessing the player would want to know where they're going so a proxy bid would be tricky. You normally ask for permission to speak to a player, check they want to come, agree personal terms and then thrash through the deal.

Be good if the experts could provide examples instead of expecting people to take their word for it.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Will we be able to read about it in your upcoming book?
Not mine but you could read about it in Daniel Geey's book, Done Deal. Here's an extract:

"The benefit of operating via intermediaries is that the identity of the buying club can potentially be hidden (at least initially), avoiding a wasted approach. Major Premier League clubs are sometimes quoted inflated transfer fees (called an English premium, in part because of the massive £8.4bn TV deal agreed for 2016-19), so engaging an agent to agree a fee may reduce the transfer fee or keep it at a more reasonable level. For example, a Premier League team approaching an Italian team directly will almost certainly lead to the Italian club adding an English premium. This is where it can be common practice for the Italian club to quote one transfer fee for Premier League clubs and a lower transfer fee for all other clubs. Therefore, an agent acting for a Premier League team may be tasked to reduce the transfer fee or to try and get a better deal and take a cut of the cost saving."

However, he also doesn't cite specific examples so both he and I are obviously just making it up.

How effective it is in practice is open to debate. If an intermediary wishes to keep the identity of their client confidential the likelihood is that the owning club either isn't going to enter into negotiations on that basis or will suspect that the intermediary is acting for a club with deep pockets (or is a club they wouldn't want to do business with at all). A better approach is for the player's agent to get an agreement with the club as to what transfer fee the owning club would accept if it were to agree to a player's transfer (without any differentiation being made as to where any buying club was). It is often then for the player's agent to try and negotiate that fee with buying club(s) in a dual (or even triple) agency arrangement.

Red over the water

A while ago Dembele would have been a brilliant option. Nowadays, for me at least, there’s too many question marks. A basic prerequisite for any professional at Liverpool has to be a willingness to work hard and buy into the team-first ethic.

As a player Dembele has incredible speed and talent that, when it clicks, makes him look world class. But then on other occasions he almost looks like he lacks a footballers instinct, and even basic touch and talent, and he doesn’t quite seem like he knows where his legs are - a bit like a much upgraded, rich man’s version of Djimi Traore. He can also be very wasteful, such as the two occasions when he could have scored against us and got Barcelona a 4-0 lead in the first leg. It drove Messi mad, and if Dembele played for us it would drive us mad too.

But then again, if you look at some of the highlight reel - two feet, dribbling, and pace to go past people for fun, and weigh in with goals, it looks very tempting. If he knuckles down and works, he could be a sensational signing. It would have been best to sign him from France, or at least from Dortmund. The move to Barcelona might have convinced him he’s made it, when that’s the last thing a talented young footballer needs to be thinking.

Thankfully we have a manager who can unravel all that background noise and make the right decision. If the player has gone, Klopp will know. If he wants to fulfill his potential, again, Klopp will know.