The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Limiescouse

moreno had pace and some power in his left boot, but he wasn't particularly good going forward, so that's probably why he wasn't used in a more advanced position

seems like firpo can actually play football a little bit, and might occasionally slot in at left wing or left midfield. but the point about milner is a good one, not sure there's truly room for both
Miner is an excellent back up, if by back up we mean fill in the occasional game with Robbo still playing 90% of the games. We saw 3 seasons ago that Milner became incredibly leggy by the end of a season of being our every day LB, and that in a season when we didn't have european football so often had a full week between games. He is now 3 years old and we will have nearly double the games compared to that season. If something happens to Robbo to kee him out for an extended period, then Milner physically cannot cover by himself.

Dave-D

Just compounds from last year. What he did then was utterly embarrassing and disrespectful, and so I would have a bit of satisfaction if he found himself this year finding that isnt a viable move for him. The issue for Atletico is they are losing players all over the park this summer. If they spend a big chunk of the money they raise on a Griezmann replacement and then find that they cant get rid of him anyway they're going to have a really unbalanced team.
How would the fans react to him staying even tho he’s said he wants out. Would they easily forgive and forget or would they cut ties and want him gone.
Atletico and Griezmann could well be willing to lower demands if they know the fans want him gone.

Limiescouse

I think the fans would be fine. Despite staying, he still kind of disrespected them last year and they ignored to celebrate that he was staying. The issue is they are using the money they have already generated to pay for Felix with the expectation that they can use the money from Griezmann to fill in the numerous gaps created by losing 3/5 of their defense and 1 or 2 important midfielders. If they now dont get that Grizemann money they will end up as a side without a defense, weak in mid and without obvious room to play the young lad they just spend a big wedge on.

big noyd

beyond/outside the possibility of injury, i want to see robertson rested far more often next season

and you could easily play milner & firpo together on some of those occasions

if firpo is skillful/dangerous enough to occasionally play on the left ahead of robertson in 4 2 3 1 that would be ideal

Red over the water

I’m not a big fan of Griezmann. Reputation and likely cost is way ahead of the attributes I see in the player. It’s quite possible I’m out of step with everyone else, but he’s not that fast, not that strong, not that skillful (well he is skillful, that’s his best bit) and he doesn’t score that many.

Gets a big fat swerve from me.

Limiescouse

I’m not a big fan of Griezmann. Reputation and likely cost is way ahead of the attributes I see in the player. It’s quite possible I’m out of step with everyone else, but he’s not that fast, not that strong, not that skillful (well he is skillful, that’s his best bit) and he doesn’t score that many.

Gets a big fat swerve from me.
I agree with you. I do think he is very good. However, I do NOT think he is at the level to justify such disruption over his potential availability at a club like Barca, or worth the money it would take to land him. Had we have got him from Sociedad several years ago he would have fit in nicely and likely done well here. That was for a fee that made him comparably expensive to the likes of Willian and Costa. He sits well alongside those sorts of players. I dont see that he does among the next tier of players that his reputation (and now fee) seems to suggest is his place.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He turns 29 this coming season... I just don't think we're the sort of club (nor would I want us to be) to pay that kind of money for a player that kind of age - we're more keen to sign the 23/24 year olds who will reach that sort of level (or higher) while playing for us.

I could see United breaking the bank to try to sign him. I could also see him turning them down and them then signing someone far less good for even more money through sheer desperation.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He turns 29 this coming season... I just don't think we're the sort of club (nor would I want us to be) to pay that kind of money for a player that kind of age - we're more keen to sign the 23/24 year olds who will reach that sort of level (or higher) while playing for us.

I could see United breaking the bank to try to sign him. I could also see him turning them down and them then signing someone far less good for even more money through sheer desperation.
If we are looking to spend £100mil + on a player it wouldn't be Griezmann for me.. Sancho 110%.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
There seems to be quite a bit of chatter on the socials today regarding Bruno Fernandes to LFC. Can someone give me an unbiased review of his game and how he potentially fits into our side? I've watched the Youtube stuff but I don't know much about him, or Portugese players in general.

EDIT: And regarding Griezmann I thought that was long done and already seen him photographed in a Barca shirt. Guess I was mistaken. Egg on his face if that doesn't happen.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Jean-Philippe Gbamin is another player linked according to his agent, might be a Lovren replacement :yawn:.
Sorry mate I should have checked before posting that crap.
I am a HUGE Gbamin fan. I hadn't heard about this link but it makes total sense because is 100% a player JK loves. Having said all that, I don't see where he fits here as currently constructed. He is a hybrid DM/CB depending on formation and opponent. IMO he is a better defensive/holding midfielder than he is a CB. Big, athletic and strong, covering the backline and can move the ball. A patrolling battleship, destroyer type.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From the BBC rumours page:
Liverpool and Manchester United will battle for the signature of Real Betis' Spanish left-back Junior Firpo, 22. (Marca)

Real Betis are interested in Liverpool and Belgium striker Divock Origi, 24. (Estadio Deportivo, in Spanish)

Liverpool target Nicolas Pepe is the subject of an £80m bid from Inter Milan. The Serie A side are one of a number of clubs keen on the 24-year-old Lille and Ivory Coast winger. (L'Equipe, in French)

SadiosMio

From the BBC rumours page:
Liverpool and Manchester United will battle for the signature of Real Betis' Spanish left-back Junior Firpo, 22. (Marca)

Real Betis are interested in Liverpool and Belgium striker Divock Origi, 24. (Estadio Deportivo, in Spanish)

Liverpool target Nicolas Pepe is the subject of an £80m bid from Inter Milan. The Serie A side are one of a number of clubs keen on the 24-year-old Lille and Ivory Coast winger. (L'Equipe, in French)
Nothing would be more current 2019 than Man U spending 50M on a position that is one of the few they already have decently manned.

Inter is probably about Pepe's level. I'll believe an 80M bid from a Serie A team other than Juventus (and only rarely then) when I see it.

SadiosMio

There seems to be quite a bit of chatter on the socials today regarding Bruno Fernandes to LFC. Can someone give me an unbiased review of his game and how he potentially fits into our side? I've watched the Youtube stuff but I don't know much about him, or Portugese players in general.

EDIT: And regarding Griezmann I thought that was long done and already seen him photographed in a Barca shirt. Guess I was mistaken. Egg on his face if that doesn't happen.
Maybe he bought it off Rakuten.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
If we were interested in Firpo and Real Betis in Origi,maybe a deal is in the offing.
Couple of ifs though,are we going to let Origi go,and are we keen on Firpo.
Firpo could be decent at the right price,and if we were to let Origi go,it certainly open s the way for a class buy up front.
Maybe Mbappe....I'll get my coat!

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Maybe I'm overrating the importance and effectiveness of Edwards and his team, but none of the likes of Fernandes/Firpo rumours ring true in light of the way previous transfers seem to have been conducted.

I find it hard to believe that we've abandoned the long term scouting and under the radar negotiating in favour of twiddling our thumbs and waiting to see who united are linked with before swooping in to outbid them.

These reports seem much more like using high profile teams to start a bidding war in order for the player to end up going somewhere entirely different.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Maybe I'm overrating the importance and effectiveness of Edwards and his team, but none of the likes of Fernandes/Firpo rumours ring true in light of the way previous transfers seem to have been conducted.

I find it hard to believe that we've abandoned the long term scouting and under the radar negotiating in favour of twiddling our thumbs and waiting to see who united are linked with before swooping in to outbid them.

These reports seem much more like using high profile teams to start a bidding war in order for the player to end up going somewhere entirely different.
It's near impossible to gage, it could be we've been quietly negotiating with Sporting and the player for a year as we've spotted something a couple of years ago in the player, yet when he exploded in terms of stats last season the likes of Utd come in big and brash (very old school style). Fernandes looks like a player you could hone into a Firmino type - amazing workrate, excellent technical ability, uses space well, knows how to score. So that type of underlying analysis has seen a player others see as a midfielder coming in to do another role for us.

Although we could easily be the big name who gets linked to drive up price as you say.

I also think agents when an offer is made will leak information to get other clubs interested.

Considering by all accounts the players we are trying to sign this summer were scouted/analysed 2-3 windows ago it's impossible to know who are true targets are. I do think we are now forced to pay a premium though, no club wants to be the one who sold us Salah for £36mil and he's now worth £200mil etc.

phnaarg

TIA Youth Team
Sancho?..
Yep! Keep asking what people see in him, but not had a reply yet. I see nothing. Absolutely zilch except the usual English media hype. He's not at the level of the 2 Chelsea youngsters hudson-odoi or Loftus-cheek. Saw him in the CL for dortmund and he was absolutely anonymous... As he was for England also when he's played. Obviously I'm not the fount of all (any?) knowledge.. So i'm genuinely wondering.. what do others see?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yep! Keep asking what people see in him, but not had a reply yet. I see nothing. Absolutely zilch except the usual English media hype. He's not at the level of the 2 Chelsea youngsters hudson-odoi or Loftus-cheek. Saw him in the CL for dortmund and he was absolutely anonymous... As he was for England also when he's played. Obviously I'm not the fount of all (any?) knowledge.. So i'm genuinely wondering.. what do others see?
Crazy man, he is a future Balon Dor contender. Proper generational talent.

12 goals, 17 assists in 2460 minutes at 18/19 in a very good league is exceptional levels.

Don't you think the fact he left England to get game time discounts the notion that he's getting typical English media hype? Compare that to Hudson-Odoi who (I rate massively btw) got 6 goals, 7 assists in 1917 minutes across the EPL, Europa League, English cups, youth football.